╌>

Democrats Tuck Female Draft Into Defense Bill

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  1stwarrior  •  3 years ago  •  12 comments

Democrats Tuck Female Draft Into Defense Bill
Republican bids to eliminate critical race theory, protect all-male draft shot down in late-night debate

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The Pentagon will have to start drafting women in order to receive funding after House Democrats amended the defense budget.

Rep. Chrissy Houlahan (D., Pa.) put forward a measure on Wednesday to require all women over the age of 18 to register for selective service. Houlahan said her policy would best draw on the "talents of our entire nation." Only one in three women, however, support adding women to the draft, according to an  Ipsos  poll.  Republicans pilloried the legislation. Rep. Vicky Hartzler (R., Mo.), a House Armed Services Committee member, lampooned the prospect that millions of America’s daughters could be put needlessly in the line of fire.

"I feel confident that in an emergency that the women of this country would step up and volunteer as needed," Hartzler said. "It seems like this is a solution in search of a problem. … We don't need to draft women in order for women to have equality in this nation."

Female participation in the military has steadily  increased  since 2004, rising to 17 percent in 2018. A larger percentage of women in military service  Are Commissioned  as officers than men.  Critics say conscription should focus on fielding the most effective fighting force, rather than gender ideology. Terry Schilling, the president of the American Principles Project, which led a campaign against the measure, told the  Washington Free Beacon  the decision could have a crippling effect on lawmakers who passed the bill.

"I think I'm speaking on behalf of millions of fathers across the country when I say I don’t want my daughters drafted into the next military conflict," Schilling said. "To conscript them into the military and put them on the frontlines is a nightmare."

Houlahan’s measure passed 35-24, with five Republicans crossing party lines to support it.  A similar measure passed the Senate by a razor-thin margin over the objections of national security hawks. Former Army Ranger Sen. Tom Cotton (R., Ark.) and Air Force veteran Sen. Roger Wicker (R., Miss.) jousted with Democrats over its inclusion into the annual spending bill.

" Our military has welcomed women for decades and are stronger for it," Cotton  said  in July. "But America’s daughters shouldn’t be drafted against their will. I opposed this amendment in committee, and I’ll work to remove it before the defense bill passes."

"I support our military’s efforts to offer more opportunities for women who want to volunteer to serve," Wicker said in July. "But when I think of my own daughters and granddaughters, I could not in good conscience support an amendment that would compel their military service."

House Democrats  also stifled a Republican bid to bar critical race theory from the ranks. Democrats shot down an amendment sponsored by Hartzler, as well as by Reps. Jim Banks (R., Ind.) and Mark Green (R., Tenn.), that would preclude military academies and instructors of enlisted troops from teaching the controversial ideology.

"When it comes to law enforcement and the military, you can’t tolerate lies and a lack of integrity," Schilling said. "It's very concerning to me and millions of families across this country that the military is embracing lies like critical race theory."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
1  seeder  1stwarrior    3 years ago

"I support our military’s efforts to offer more opportunities for women who want to volunteer to serve," Wicker said in July. "But when I think of my own daughters and granddaughters, I could not in good conscience support an amendment that would compel their military service."

So, it's OK to "compel their military service" for males but not for women?

"I believe" that the draft would only be utilized for a legally declared war, correct?  I mean, we're not drafting anyone right now 'cause we're not on a Congressionally approved war, right?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  1stwarrior @1    3 years ago
So, it's OK to "compel their military service" for males but not for women?

That's what's in the best interest of national defense.

"I believe" that the draft would only be utilized for a legally declared war, correct? 

Agreed.

I mean, we're not drafting anyone right now 'cause we're not on a Congressionally approved war, right?

Partly true. Vietnam changed it all because of the protests. We've been in many conflicts since then, but there have been no protests because certain people haven't been drafted. I say if we ever bring back the draft, we draft those who benefit most from American society FIRST - in other words university students get called first as an example.

Btw, putting a draft for women in the defense bill was a sneaky thing to do.  Big Brother might defend it with "men are women and women are men!

evilone
Professor Guide
2  evilone    3 years ago

I pretty much think the whole draft thing is antiquated and should be done away with entirely, but if you have to have one there should be no discrimination between sexes.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     3 years ago

Agreed

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
4  Nerm_L    3 years ago

If a draft was instituted there would protests across the country.  Selective service is an anachronism that serves no useful purpose any longer.  Which is why politicians spend so much time debating the issue.  They're arguing over nothing.

Look, the military has become a jobs program.  The Milton Freidman rat basterds are trying to eliminate middle class jobs.  The poor will be doing jobs that can't be done by robots.  And the rich won't allow their jobs to be eliminated.  The United States is headed toward a two class society.  The military is becoming nothing more than welfare for the middle class.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    3 years ago
"To conscript them into the military and put them on the frontlines is a nightmare."

I assume that if we have a draft, it will be because the need for people is urgent. Unfortunately, it was abused during Vietnam, but that doesn’t change what a draft should be for - urgent national defense.

In such a case, I believe it should be “all hands on deck” and women included. That doesn’t mean they’re all going to the front lines. Individual members should go where they are most useful. Some women will be highly effective on the front lines. Others won’t. There are a lot of jobs in the military that aren’t on the front lines.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
6  Mark in Wyoming     3 years ago

Currently , someone that has to register with selective service and fails to do so is ineligible for a federal job , federal job training , federal student aide or loans .

they are also subject to federal prosecution and can be fined up to $250,000, and or 5 years in jail .( I havent heard of that happening though).

So it seems to me because of the equal protection under the law clause , they either have to get rid of selective services registration , OR make it so that all have to register .

TOM PA
Freshman Silent
7  TOM PA    3 years ago

Gee!  And we didn't even have to pass the Equal Rights Amendment!  

TOM PA
Freshman Silent
7.1  TOM PA  replied to  TOM PA @7    3 years ago

Addition to #7;  Take that Phillis Schlafly!!!  

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
8  seeder  1stwarrior    3 years ago

Wonder how many of the 35 who voted to pass the bill have daughters?  What then would be their reaction if/when their daughter's number came up for being drafted??

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  1stwarrior @8    3 years ago
Wonder how many of the 35 who voted to pass the bill have daughters?  

Maybe none. Are they raising families? Or do they just want our kids?

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.2  Kavika   replied to  1stwarrior @8    3 years ago

Seems to me to a fair bill. Currently the military is made up of a large per cent of females what makes anyone think that in a national emergency they shouldn’t be drafted? Perhaps we would find less draft dodgers among the female population then we have with with male population.

I’m happy that they shot down the republicans on CRT.happy that the dems shot down the republicans on CRT.