╌>

the bellwether election

Category:  News & Politics

By:  vic-eldred  •  3 years ago  •  15 comments

the bellwether election
“Because my opponent is a Trump wannabe,” Mr. McAuliffe said. “He‘s been endorsed by Donald Trump three times. He said ‘I’m honored to have his endorsement.’ He‘s quoted saying ‘so much of the reason why I’m running is because of Donald Trump.’ That’s his quote, so he‘s the one who’s inserted Donald Trump here.”

During the recently concluded California recall election, Governor Newsom did a strange thing. The moment Larry Elder became took the lead over a large field of candidates, Newsom attempted to make the election a referendum on Donald Trump. Elder focused on the issues that motivated Californians to sign a recall petition and Newsom talked about Elder being connected to Trump. Think about it! Many democrat strategists have. Some wrongly assume it won the day for Newsom. The sad fact is that California is a corrupt state and forces were mobilized to prevent Newsom from being recalled. Yet many democrats seem to be convinced that the way forward in the 2022 midterm elections is to ignore the issues and treat every election as a referendum on Trump.

The sterling bellwether election for this strategy is the coming Virginia Governor's election scheduled for November 2, 2021. Virginia is nothing like California. It is considered a purple state with it's northern districts blue and it's southern section mostly red. Sort of like DC fat cats vs Virginia natives with a full spectrum of people in between. Governor Ralph Northam is ineligible to run for reelection, as the Constitution of Virginia prohibits the officeholder from serving consecutive terms. Thus, the race is between former Governor Terry McAuliffe (D),  businessman Glenn Youngkin (R) and under the banner of the "Liberation Party" teacher Princess Blanding.

Some believe it will be an uphill battle for Youngkin. Virginia was once a reliable red state but Republicans haven't won a statewide election since 2009. This past Thursday featured the first of three debates between the two main candidates. Youngkin made his case to moderate voters that while he believes in the vaccine, he also believes in choice.  Both candidates have encouraged Virginians to get the vaccine but Youngkin said he doesn’t believe they should be required. Youngkin rejected the idea of the Texas abortion law. He also said that he thought statues, like that of Robert E Lee, should be placed in museums.

AAOypUX.img?w=768&h=512&m=6&x=255&y=114&s=125&d=125

On the other hand, Terry McAuliffe focused on Youngkin's abortion stand. McAuliffe said Youngkin “wants to ban abortions.” He added: “I support a woman’s right to make her own decisions through the second trimester.”  McAuliffe then appeared to walk back support for a controversial bill to end qualified immunity for police in Virginia. The legal defense that makes it difficult to win civil lawsuits against officers has split moderate and progressive Democrats in the state for months. Abortion and public safety may be a legitimate issue, but then McAuliffe took something from the Newsom playbook - taking every opportunity to tie Youngkin to Trump. McAuliffe eventually accused Youngkin of endorsing all of Trump's policies and specifically mentioned hiring ex-Trump adviser Stephen Moore to be his economic adviser.

Thus, this race is a true a bellwether for the midterm elections of 2022.

If McAuliffe wins, the RNC may not want Trump as a 2024 candidate.

If Youngkin should win, we can only assume that 2022 will be a very bad year for democrats. (Democrats may get tossed out regardless of the results here.)

"McAuliffe garnered 50 percent support among likely voters, whereas Youngkin stands at 47 percent. Among registered voters, McAuliffe falls to 49 percent and Youngkin to 43 percent, though neither lead is statistically significant."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/poll-mcaulliffe-and-youngkin-in-tight-race-for-virginia-governor/ar-AAOz8IM?ocid=uxbndlbing

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  author  Vic Eldred    3 years ago

An 8News/Emerson College poll that came out Thursday ahead of the debate showed McAuliffe had 49% support compared to Mr. Youngkin’s 45%.

It's close right now.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2  Greg Jones    3 years ago

Republicans need to discreetly distance themselves from Trump. I think the majority of Republican candidates and voters are sane enough to realize this. We'll see.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Greg Jones @2    3 years ago

This one will tell us something. I'm hoping the man of the people takes notice.

CB
Professor Principal
2.1.1  CB  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1    3 years ago
the man of the people

You mean the imbecile, liar, cheater, and thief who relies on a bank of lawyers and syncos to keep Trump 'world' afloat and in the way of proper living?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.2  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  CB @2.1.1    3 years ago
McAuliffe was a popular governor. He will win again.

I mean the man of the people.

CB
Professor Principal
2.1.3  CB  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.2    3 years ago

Which falls flat as a description of anything this far west. You failed to answer the question: I wonder why? Was it too complex?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.4  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  CB @2.1.3    3 years ago
You failed to answer the question: I wonder why? Was it too complex?

Probably because it really wasn't a question.

JBB
Professor Principal
3  JBB    3 years ago

As with Elder Youngkins will crush rightwing hopes!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JBB @3    3 years ago
As with Elder Youngkins will crush rightwing hopes!

LOL!  We never thought Elder had a chance.

He may. The question will be by what means?  Right now he's not touting his performance as governor.

JBB
Professor Principal
4  JBB    3 years ago

Virginia turned blue. Georgia and Texas come next!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JBB @4    3 years ago

Nervous democrats will again be counting on northern Virginia.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5  Tessylo    3 years ago

We're not nervous.  We know who is.  

Of course you thought Elder had a chance, a good chance.

LOL!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @5    3 years ago

I did?

Show us where.

charger 383
Professor Silent
6  charger 383    3 years ago

As a Virginian, I can't remember one good thing McAuliffe did a governor before 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  charger 383 @6    3 years ago

Evidently, no one else can,