╌>

World Series 2021 -- Best moments, action and more from Game 2 between Braves and Astros

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  3 years ago  •  7 comments

By:   David Schoenfield

World Series 2021 -- Best moments, action and more from Game 2 between Braves and Astros
“This team’s been so easy to root for with the way they battled throughout the year.”

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Similar to Game 1,  Game 2  of the  World Series  lacked the usual tension and drama we love to see in the Fall Classic. The  Houston Astros  led 5-1 after two innings and the  Atlanta Braves  never really threatened after that. The closest they came to making the Astros sweat a little came in the top of the fifth when  Freddie Freeman  hit a two-out RBI single off  Jose Urquidy  to make it 5-2, but Urquidy got  Ozzie Albies  to ground out to first.

Max Fried's pitching line looks ugly for the Braves with six runs in five-plus innings, but it was one of those games where the Astros kept hitting groundballs with eyes, especially in the four-run second when all five hits in the inning came on grounders. It was really just bad luck more than anything as only one of the five was a hard-hit ball. Brian Snitker did leave him for a couple batters too many, leading to another run in the sixth, but it's hard to blame Fried too much.

The Braves' defense has mostly been on lockdown mode this postseason, but that inning was helped by  Eddie Rosario 's throw to third when nobody was covering, allowing  Jose Siri  to score, and later in the game Albies dropped the ball trying to turn a double play, allowing another run to score.

In one sense, the blowout score made things easier for Snitker, as he was able to stay away from his four top relievers, who had to combine for 20 outs in Game 1 after Charlie Morton's injury. That means  A.J. Minter Luke Jackson Tyler Matzek  and  Will Smith  will all be in good shape when the series shifts to Atlanta for Game 3 on Friday. The Houston bullpen has been excellent in the postseason as  Cristian Javier  has now thrown nine scoreless innings and  Phil Maton Kendall Graveman  and  Ryan Pressly  continue to look sharp.

The shift in venues also means the elimination of the DH, which brings the managers into the game a little more. Dusty Baker will also have to face a difficult decision on what to do in his outfield. If he wants to get both  Michael Brantley  and  Yordan Alvarez  in the lineup against  Ian Anderson , that means moving  Kyle Tucker  to center field, where he has played just 28 innings this season.

He's probably OK out there, but nonetheless an Alvarez-Tucker-Brantley outfield makes you worse at all three positions (Alvarez is worse than Brantley in left, Brantley is worse than Tucker in right, and Tucker is likely worse than  Chas McCormick  or Siri in center). As we saw in Game 2, defense matters, but Alvarez and Tucker rank 1-2 in the postseason in OPS for the Astros and the steady Brantley is hitting .352. Baker probably plays all three lefty sticks and it's hard to argue against that.   --David Schoenfield

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    3 years ago

That was a must win for the Astros.  The second time one could have taken them to the bank.

Special honors:

Jose Urquidy gave the Astros five solid innings.

Jose Altuve greeted Drew Smyly with a home run off a first-pitch fastball, leading off the bottom of the seventh by sneaking a fly ball just inside the left-field pole for a 7-2 Astros lead. It was Altuve's 22nd career home run in the postseason, tying him with Bernie Williams for second on the all-time list, behind Manny Ramirez's 29.

The Astros scored three runs in the bottom of the second on two ground ball singles (94.4 and 84.2 mph exit velocity), an infield single (51.5 mph) and another ground ball single (89.1 mph) -- not a hard-hit ball in the bunch (a hard-hit ball is classified as 95-plus mph). The Astros also got help from a horrendous defensive play by the Braves that even a Little League team shouldn't commit. 

Today is a travel day, as the action moves to Georgia.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    3 years ago

And I hope the Braves sweep it after what the MLB big shot assholes did with the All Star Game.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1    3 years ago

No matter which team wins the Commissioner will be in hot water. I'm sure the Astros or their fans haven't forgotten about being made an example of.

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
2  Transyferous Rex    3 years ago
Jose Altuve greeted Drew Smyly with a home run off a first-pitch fastball, leading off the bottom of the seventh by sneaking a fly ball just inside the left-field pole for a 7-2 Astros lead.

Not knocking Altuve, but it should be a misdemeanor to give up a first pitch hit, home run or not, to Altuve. He will swing at the first pitch if you throw it over the backstop. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Transyferous Rex @2    3 years ago

Point well taken.

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
2.1.1  Transyferous Rex  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1    3 years ago

I can't say much here Vic. Without getting too much into it. I had good velocity, good off-speed stuff, and good control. What I didn't have was the sense to throw off of the plate more. Caught up to me in college. (that and an old non-baseball shoulder injury) But, it is frustrating to watch someone throw it over the plate, first pitch, to Altuve. He is going to swing, and he can hurt you. Don't give him the chance.

I don't care who wins, btw. I want a 7 game series though. 

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
3  Transyferous Rex    3 years ago

We going to get 7 out of this?