╌>

Senate votes to repeal Biden's vaccine mandate

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jeremy-in-nc  •  2 years ago  •  12 comments

Senate votes to repeal Biden's vaccine mandate
The Senate voted Wednesday night to repeal President Joe Biden's vaccine mandate on private businesses with over 100 employees by a vote of 52-48.

Hard to believe that there are still 48 morons who don't understand what UNCONSTITUTIONAL means.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The Senate voted Wednesday night to repeal President Joe Biden's vaccine mandate on private businesses with over 100 employees by a vote of 52-48.

Two Democrats crossed party lines and voted with all Republicans present to repeal the mandate.

Both Democratic "yes" votes, cast by Sens. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va. and Jon Tester, D-Mont., were expected.

Republicans brought up the repeal for a vote using a procedural tool called the Congressional Review Act, which allows Congress to overturn rules created by federal agencies and only requires 51 votes to pass the Senate.

It's unclear if the Senate-passed repeal will be brought up in the House. Speaker Nancy Pelosi is not required to bring it up for a floor vote, and at least 218 signatures would be needed to force consideration. Even then, if the House were to pass it, White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki said on Tuesday that Biden would veto it should it land on his desk.

"We certainly hope the Senate, Congress will stand up to the anti-vaccine and testing crowd. We're going to continue to work to implement these," Psaki said. "If it comes to the president's desk, he will veto it."

As vaccine mandates lag in popularity nationwide, some moderate Democrats sided with Republicans, giving the bill the necessary votes to clear the Senate.

"I will strongly support a bill to overturn the federal government vaccine mandate for private businesses. I have long said we should incentivize, not penalize, private employers whose responsibility it is to protect their employees from COVID-19," Manchin said in a statement last week.

He's been on the record repeatedly about his opposition to mandates on private businesses, though he supports the mandate for federal employees.

Manchin released a statement following the Senate vote defending his long-held position that it is "not the place of the federal government" to mandate vaccines.

Every Republican supported the repeal, following last week's party-line vote to zero out funds for the mandate during government funding negotiations last week.

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, in a press conference Tuesday, said the vote is "anti science" and "anti common sense"

"It's ridiculous, it makes no sense, and Democrats think it is the wrong way to go," Schumer said.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Jeremy Retired in NC    2 years ago

If, by Biden's own admission, there is no Federal solution to the Pandemic then the mandates SHOULD be rescinded.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ronin2  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @1    2 years ago

The power rests with the states as far as the mandates go. 

Biden said he wouldn't issue a mandate repeatedly.

Video from late in 2020 shows President Joe Biden saying that he wouldn't make vaccination against COVID-19 mandatory, a position he reversed this week .

Footage shows Biden saying he would not impose a mandate in response to a reporter's question on 4 December, 2020. At the time Biden was President-elect.

"No — I don't think it should be mandatory. I wouldn't demand it to be mandatory," Biden said of the coronavirus vaccine.

"But I will do everything in my power as President of the United States to encourage people to do the right thing and when they do it, demonstrate that it matters," he said.

Of course Biden is full of shit. He has gone full fascist repeatedly- ignoring the Supreme Court's ruling on the renter moratorium. Also ignoring the federal court order to reinstate and use "Stay in Mexico". 

I doubt he will obey a Supreme Court ruling on his vaccine mandate. 

JBB
Professor Principal
2  JBB    2 years ago

What are the chances this passes in the House?

Zero...

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.1  Ronin2  replied to  JBB @2    2 years ago

What are the chances the Supreme Court shoots Biden's mandate down; and he ignores them?

100%

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.2  seeder  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  JBB @2    2 years ago

So you're saying the chances of this passing in the House are the same as the Democrats doing something that will benefit their constituents.  

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3  Sparty On    2 years ago
Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, in a press conference Tuesday, said the vote is "anti science" and "anti common sense"

But it is pro tyranny and anti self determination.

Right in the Democrats wheelhouse these days ....

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
4  1stwarrior    2 years ago

As I sit here and watch my neighbor who lives across the street with COVID, pneumonia, sever cardiac stress for the past six months - he's an anti-vaxxer as is his family of five.

Actually, no, I can't watch him as he hasn't been outside in two months.

Tell me how good "Not getting vaccinated" is - just before your eulogy.

Friggin' idiots.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1  Sparty On  replied to  1stwarrior @4    2 years ago

Speaking of friggin idiots, so we’re the idiots walking in front of my house April 2020 who gave me shit for fertilizing my yard.    You see, our fearless leader Whitmers mandate didn’t allow such work in 2020.

They were told to keep walking and have a great day.

Friggin moron worker drones.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
5  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)    2 years ago

Federally mandated? No, I don't think it should be. I'm all for personal choice. Do I think it's the intelligent thing to do? Absolutely. My household was vaccinated. However, I don't agree with federally mandated vaccinations either. Hell, my family is vaccinated for all sorts of things; MMR, Pertussis, HPV, Hep A, etc. and they're all a requirement for attending public schools [unless there's a reason for not doing so provided and covered under State Laws / allowances (e.g., medical / non-medical waiver)]. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1  Tessylo  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @5    2 years ago

Then why not mandate the Co-Vid vaccine and boosters?  Makes absolutely no sense not to.  

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
5.1.1  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Tessylo @5.1    2 years ago

Because it's taking the freedom away for those that choose not to. To me, the saying, "My body, my choice" is more than for abortion.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @5.1.1    2 years ago

Bazinga!