╌>

Poet Joy Harjo Named Bob Dylan Center’s First Artist-in-Residence

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  2 years ago  •  6 comments

By:   Jazz Monroe

Poet Joy Harjo Named Bob Dylan Center’s First Artist-in-Residence
The U.S. poet laureate will spend six years presenting educational programs and live performances at the new center in Tulsa

Related: 

U.S. appoints first Native American poet laureate - Interview (7/31/2019)

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Joy Harjo Is the First Native American Woman to Become U.S. Poet Laureate | Vogue

Joy Harjo has been named the first artist-in-residence at the new  Bob Dylan Center  in Tulsa, Oklahoma. The U.S. poet laureate (and Tulsa native) begins her six-year tenure when the center opens on May 10. In the role, she will present educational programs and live performances, as well as curating special exhibitions, according to a press release.

In the release, Harjo said, “When  Bob Dylan  stepped forward and made his path of song making, poetry, and storytelling, a path that lit a generation, he opened a creative door for others to find their way to fresh invention and imagining. I am one of those who followed. My residency will allow this legacy to be extended to the community, to encourage and share creativity. I am honored to be part of this new venture.”

Steve Higgins, managing director of the American Song Archives, which oversees the BDC, said, “As a poet, musician, playwright and author, Joy Harjo exemplifies artistry and brings light to the world through her work. The BDC’s programs and exhibits will explore the creative process and inspire the next generations of artists, and we couldn’t be more honored that Joy is playing such an important role in helping us to fulfill our mission and establish our future legacy.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    2 years ago

Joy Harjo has been named the first artist-in-residence at the new   Bob Dylan Center   in Tulsa, Oklahoma. The U.S. poet laureate (and Tulsa native) begins her six-year tenure when the center opens on May 10. In the role, she will present educational programs and live performances, as well as curating special exhibitions, according to a press release.

In the release, Harjo said, “When   Bob Dylan   stepped forward and made his path of song making, poetry, and storytelling, a path that lit a generation, he opened a creative door for others to find their way to fresh invention and imagining. I am one of those who followed. My residency will allow this legacy to be extended to the community, to encourage and share creativity. I am honored to be part of this new venture.”

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    2 years ago

Steve Higgins, managing director of the American Song Archives, which oversees the BDC, said, “As a poet, musician, playwright and author, Joy Harjo exemplifies artistry and brings light to the world through her work. The BDC’s programs and exhibits will explore the creative process and inspire the next generations of artists, and we couldn’t be more honored that Joy is playing such an important role in helping us to fulfill our mission and establish our future legacy.”

Krishna
Professor Expert
3  seeder  Krishna    2 years ago

In addition to hosting events and exhibitions, the center will host 100,000 exclusive artifacts spanning 60 years of Dylan’s career, according to the original announcement. Those include handwritten lyric manuscripts and correspondence, previously unreleased recordings and film performances, and more.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     2 years ago

This is wonderful, Joy is a force in the native community, and when she was named  The U.S. poet laureate it introduced her to an even greater audience. 

For me it's tying two ends of my life together. Simply amazing.

I may be taking a trip to Tulsa.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Kavika @4    2 years ago
I may be taking a trip to Tulsa.

That Center sounds like it will be a fascinating place!

(Bob Dylan was always one of my favourite poets...)

And Joy Harjo will add a lot to the center..

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Krishna @4.1    2 years ago

Of course, being NA I'm very proud and excited for Joy who I've met on a few occasions. I have also met Bob Dylan, before and after his name change so this situation is quite exciting for me.