╌>

U.S. Senate to vote Wednesday on abortion rights bill, Schumer says

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  2 years ago  •  64 comments

By:   Lisa Shumaker and Daniel Wallis (YahooNews)

U.S. Senate to vote Wednesday on abortion rights bill, Schumer says
"Every American will see how every senator stands," Schumer said during a news conference with state leaders in New York. Schumer called the draft decision an "abomination," noting that a majority of Americans want to preserve the right to have an abortion and women's heath care.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

(Reuters) -The U.S. Senate will vote on legislation to codify abortion rights into law on Wednesday in reaction to the leaked draft decision indicating the Supreme Court is poised to overturn its landmark 1973 Roe v. Wade ruling, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer said on Sunday.

"Every American will see how every senator stands," Schumer said during a news conference with state leaders in New York. Republicans "can't duck it anymore. Republicans have tried to duck it."

The Democrat said he will file cloture on Monday and the 100-seat chamber will vote on the bill on Wednesday.

Schumer called the draft decision an "abomination," noting that a majority of Americans want to preserve the right to have an abortion and women's heath care.

"Choice should not be up to a handful of right-wing justices. Choice should not be up to a handful of right-wing politicians. It's a woman's right. Plain and simple," he said.

Last week a draft decision was leaked showing a majority of the country's top court would vote to overturn Roe v. Wade, the legal precedent ensuring abortion access for Americans.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

In the meantime it will be threats & intimidation.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 years ago

potentially worse than that. a nation more divided than prior to the last civil war, a specific demographic trying to restrict civil rights for women by claiming it's about states rights, and using religious dogma as a basis to do so. whatever, I'm ready.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
1.1.1  afrayedknot  replied to  devangelical @1.1    2 years ago

“…a specific demographic trying to restrict civil rights for women…”

A demographic large (re: conservative opportunists) and more importantly, a demographic small, as in the SCOTUS…both seriously out of touch with the majority. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2  seeder  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

In 2020 democrats won the presidency, held onto the House and found an unusual way to a tie in the Senate. Here is their chance to use the majority of the people, they claim to have, to pass a law legalizing abortion.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Vic Eldred @2    2 years ago

Here is their chance to use the majority of the people, they claim to have, to pass a law legalizing abortion.

And here is the chance for the republicans, representing a minority of people, to block that law legalizing abortion.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1    2 years ago

it's a senate referendum on equal rights versus federalist theocracy and any senator that votes against it, and is on the ballot in november, will be bludgeoned with that vote in their midterm campaigns.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  devangelical @2.1.1    2 years ago

it's a senate referendum on equal rights versus federalist theocracy and any senator that votes against it, and is on the ballot in november, will be bludgeoned with that vote in their midterm campaigns.

Unfortunately, republican voters have shown time after time, that they don't give a crap about who or what they vote for, as long as there is an "(R)" after the name.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.2    2 years ago
Unfortunately, republican voters have shown time after time, that they don't give a crap about who or what they vote for, as long as there is an "(R)" after the name.

Some of us recognize that applies equally to both parties and simply refuse to pretend otherwise.

Thus, Pelosi saying things like "A glass of water with a "D" behind it could win in those districts" in reference to AOC.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3  Texan1211    2 years ago
Schumer called the draft decision an "abomination," noting that a majority of Americans want to preserve the right to have an abortion and women's heath care.

Chuckie, I dare say the majority of Americans want lower taxes, too. What have you done to ensure they get their way?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @3    2 years ago

If it's what the majority wants this should be an easy vote yesterday. It's funny that Obama had a democrat congress in his first two years. Why do you suppose Obama didn't get abortion codified?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1    2 years ago
Why do you suppose Obama didn't get abortion codified?

Schumer doesn't really want that to happen, which is why he's pushing for a codification that expands abortion even further than Roe. It has no chance of passing.  But he can say he "tried" and keep the issue alive because its the only thing his voters can support right now. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.2  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.1.1    2 years ago
It has no chance of passing. 

Why not?

[deleted]

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.2    2 years ago

Why not?

The majority of Americans aren't in favor of the Biden/Schumer abortion until birth position.

The Mississippi bill, with a cutoff at 15 weeks except for the life of the mother, could  possibly pass , as that is where the majority of Americans are.  But that's the last thing Schumer or the fanatics who fill his purse want.    . 

Hallux
PhD Principal
3.1.4  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.2    2 years ago

Your comments are becoming more and more over the top. Are you alright?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.5  Tessylo  replied to  Hallux @3.1.4    2 years ago
"If this slaughter of a fetus is so sacred to these insane animals, why can't they get a law passed?"

Somebody needs to get a grip!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.6  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.1.3    2 years ago
The majority of Americans aren't in favor of the Biden/Schumer abortion until birth position.

Please prove that.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.7  Tessylo  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.6    2 years ago

I'm sick of people saying that women abort right up until birth or after.

It's ridiculous.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3.1.10  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.7    2 years ago
I'm sick of people saying that women abort right up until birth. It's ridiculous.

Ridiculous but legal in Alaska, Oregon, New Mexico, Vermont, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Delaware, Colorado and DC.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.11  Texan1211  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.1.10    2 years ago

I'll bet she didn't know that.

And refuses to believe it!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.12  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.1.8    2 years ago

I can't read that article. Can you clip the part that supports what you said?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.13  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.1.10    2 years ago

This chart says otherwise:

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
3.1.14  Right Down the Center  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.12    2 years ago

This gives the general synopsis and is not behind a paywall

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.15  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.9    2 years ago

I'm not seeing where there are states that allow full-term abortions. Are you talking about partial-birth abortions?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.16  Texan1211  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.15    2 years ago
Please prove that.

This is what I responded to.

From my link:

Pew also found that most abortion rights supporters, 56 percent, believe the length of a pregnancy should determine the legality of an abortion. This share of adults also believe abortion providers should be required to get the consent of a parent or guardian before performing an abortion on a minor.

I believe this proves what you asked for.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3.1.17  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.15    2 years ago

States with no gestational age restrictions:

• Alaska
  • Oregon
  • New Mexico
  • Vermont
  • New Hampshire
  • New Jersey
  • Delaware
  • Colorado
  • DC.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.18  Tessylo  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.1.17    2 years ago

What did you leave out?

That the mother's health is in danger or that the fetus is not viable?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.19  Tessylo  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.1.10    2 years ago

I'm sure you leave out the facts where the mother's life must be in danger or the fetus is not viable.  

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.20  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1    2 years ago
If it's what the majority wants this should be an easy vote yesterday. It's funny that Obama had a democrat congress in his first two years. Why do you suppose Obama didn't get abortion codified?

Because no one ever thought that it would be overturned. 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3.1.21  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.19    2 years ago

What part of "No gestational age restrictions" don't you understand?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.22  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.18    2 years ago
What did you leave out? That the mother's health is in danger or that the fetus is not viable?

Click on the link and then read it.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.23  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.19    2 years ago
I'm sure you leave out the facts where the mother's life must be in danger or the fetus is not viable.

Prove it then.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.24  Texan1211  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.1.21    2 years ago

[deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.26  Tessylo  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.1.17    2 years ago

From your citation

"Alabama

With Roe: Abortion available up to 20 weeks

Without Roe: Abortion banned (pre-1973 abortion ban in place)

Alaska

With Roe: No gestational age restrictions

Without Roe: Unclear

Arizona

With Roe: Abortion available up to viability*

* A new law is set to outlaw abortion after 15 weeks, effective this summer.

Arkansas

With Roe: Abortion available up to 20 weeks

California

With Roe: Abortion available up to viability

Without Roe: Abortion protected by state law prior to viability

Colorado

With Roe: No gestational age restrictions

Without Roe: Abortion protected by state law throughout pregnancy

Connecticut

Without Roe: Abortion protected by state law prior to viability"

Why wouldn't you say it wasn't included - the health of the mother at risk or the fetus is not viable?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.27  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.26    2 years ago

What exactly do you think "No gestational age restrictions" means?

To me, that means NO RESTRICTIONS based on gestational age.

Please explain YOUR definition.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.28  Texan1211  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.20    2 years ago
Because no one ever thought that it would be overturned. 

I doubt that seriously.

Democrats and Republicans have long made abortion a litmus test.

No need to do that ever if no one thought it could be overturned.

Certainly no need for Schumer to ay the following:

"I want to tell you Gorsuch. I want to tell you Kavanaugh. You have released the whirlwind and you will pay the price. You won't know what hit you if you go forward with these awful decisions," Schumer said, turning to look at the Supreme Court building.
Schumer went on to say, "The bottom line is very simple: we will stand with the American people. We will stand with American women. We will tell President Trump and Senate Republicans who have stacked the court with right-wing ideologues, that you're gonna be gone in November and you will never be able to do what you're trying to do now, ever, ever again. You hear that over there on the far-right? You're gone in November."
To me, that sounds like he thought it could be overturned.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
3.1.29  Right Down the Center  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.26    2 years ago

As someone that lives in CT I can say there will be no difference with or without Roe.

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1.30  JBB  replied to  Right Down the Center @3.1.29    2 years ago

Way to make it about yourself! How about the women in 26 states who are losing their right to bodily autonomy in a few weeks? 

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
3.1.31  Right Down the Center  replied to  JBB @3.1.30    2 years ago

It was a response to someone that posted about the state I live in and know so I posted about it. I was not making it about myself. I do not live in the other states she mentioned so did not post about them. 

What is your problem?

Connecticut

Without Roe: Abortion protected by state law prior to viability"

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1.32  JBB  replied to  Right Down the Center @3.1.31    2 years ago

In most of the landmass of the US abortions will be criminal offenses subject to fines and incarceration for the women and those who assist them. Those are the pertinent facts...

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3.1.33  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @3.1.32    2 years ago

How did you mix up your assertion with facts?

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
3.1.34  Right Down the Center  replied to  JBB @3.1.32    2 years ago

Which has absolutely nothing to do with my post or the post I was responding to. Those were both specific to certain states. That means your drivel is not pertinent to my post.  Maybe a little more bran in your diet would help clear your mind.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
3.1.35  Right Down the Center  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.1.33    2 years ago

My guess would be mixing medications

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Texan1211 @3    2 years ago

It's odd that the politicians like Chucky only listen to the majority of Americans in certain situations.  

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
3.2.1  Right Down the Center  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3.2    2 years ago

I really enjoyed Chucks outrage for the camera when talking about the Supreme court leak but the head exploding award went to Warren for her sputtering rendition of over the top angst she gave for reporters.  That may be a performance hard to beat before the November elections.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4  Greg Jones    2 years ago

Just more leftist grandstanding and banal bullshit political theater.

What if Manchin or Senima refuse to go along?

Snuffy
Professor Participates
5  Snuffy    2 years ago

Are they going to again vote on  the Women’s Health Protection Act that the House passed and the Senate already rejected it on 2/27/2022 or is there a new Senate bill for this?

Either way, I think this is a good election year tactic for the Democrats to do.  They will use the vote counts in their campaigning activities to gin up the base and try to get the women vote back.  I don't know how much this will help them TBH as I still don't see abortions as the highest issues facing the country that will be on voters minds.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
5.1  Right Down the Center  replied to  Snuffy @5    2 years ago
I don't know how much this will help them TBH as I still don't see abortions as the highest issues facing the country that will be on voters minds.

They may try to blame gas prices and inflation on those nasty pro lifers, he has been trying to place the blame on everyone else.   Or maybe he will be proactive and blame the baby formula shortage on all the kids that could have been aborted that we will have to feed.

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
5.1.1  JaneDoe  replied to  Right Down the Center @5.1    2 years ago
Or maybe he will be proactive and blame the baby formula shortage on all the kids that could have been aborted that we will have to feed.

The baby formula shortage is a huge problem!! I went to 10 different places a few days ago before I could find one container of the formula my granddaughter uses. The shelves are empty!! Women are desperate to find what their babies need! I’m thankful that my granddaughter is almost done needing it but my heart hurts for the moms out there who have many months to go searching for food for their little ones. 

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
5.1.2  Right Down the Center  replied to  JaneDoe @5.1.1    2 years ago

I understand there was a recall and shutdown on one of the suppliers in feb. I wonder why it is taking so long to get them back up or for others to increase production.

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
5.1.3  JaneDoe  replied to  Right Down the Center @5.1.2    2 years ago

I believe it was Abbott Nutrition in Michigan that was shut down. From what I have been reading the problem is expected to increase. 

I wonder why it is taking so long to get them back up or for others to increase production.

Same here, You would think this issue would be important enough to get some of these companies to step up production and get Abbott back in action but I guess it’s not as important as the great toilet paper shortage. SMH

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.1.4  Sean Treacy  replied to  JaneDoe @5.1.1    2 years ago
he baby formula shortage is a huge problem!!

Very stressful times for parents. This needs to be a priority. 

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
5.1.5  JaneDoe  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1.4    2 years ago
This needs to be a priority. 

Yes it does! I joined an online group in hopes of helping others out. They tell me what they’re  looking for and if I see it I’ll grab it. 

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
6  Right Down the Center    2 years ago

"Every American will see how every senator stands," Schumer said.  

I think what Chuckie meant to say was every American will have the opportunity  to see how every Senator stands if they wish.  Of course that is true for every vote on every issue if one was inclined to look for it on line..  I think what Chuckie may be overstating how much the American public really considers this an important enough issue to care about much less get their panties in a twist over.  I am not thinking this is going to lead to all the things democrats are trying to push will happen.  Maybe they should rethink calling pretty much everything an attack on democracy or one group or another.  

Snuffy
Professor Participates
6.1  Snuffy  replied to  Right Down the Center @6    2 years ago

Should a Senator vote as per the preference of the majority of the people of their state?

Because if a Senator should vote the way the majority of the people in their state wants any bill to codify abortion should pass in the Senate.  

I realize this is from 2014, but it shows only 21 states where the majority does not want to legalize abortion.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
6.1.1  Right Down the Center  replied to  Snuffy @6.1    2 years ago

In theory I would think so.  Since there is no way to actually do that voting in what he/she/it believes is in the best interest of his constituents(with their input as much as possible) will have to do.  In reality they will probably vote on what they believe will get them elected but that may or may not be reflective of the majority of people, just the majority of voters.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
6.1.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Snuffy @6.1    2 years ago
Should a Senator vote as per the preference of the majority of the people of their state?

The problem is that this, like everything they do in D.C., isn't put to the people to see what they want.  

This is completely knee jerk reaction and grandstanding.

charger 383
Professor Silent
7  charger 383    2 years ago

Abortion  is going to hurt the Republician party, in my opinion 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
7.1  Snuffy  replied to  charger 383 @7    2 years ago

I think to an extent you are correct.  The Democrats will use this to push their base for the election.  And it may sway a few votes.  But in the face of gerrymandering in addition to the majority issues of inflation and crime I don't think this will make that big of a difference overall in the upcoming election.  Longer term than just the November elections I believe abortion is more of an issue that will hurt the Republican party, especially if they push later on to ban all abortions at the federal level.  Many studies have been done that show the majority of the voting public does want abortion to be legal and safe, with some obvious restrictions around it. 

It's possible, long term, that any state that bans abortion could see it's majority governing party change over time. Those changes at the state level could also coincide with census years which would allow the Democrat party to control the redistricting maps after a census which can allow for even more changes in gerrymandering.  

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
7.2  Right Down the Center  replied to  charger 383 @7    2 years ago
Abortion  is going to hurt the Republician party, in my opinion 

I think part of it depends on if people buy the extreme narrative that the dems seem to be trying to portray this as.  I have heard them talk about it banning abortion everywhere in the country to a future ban on everything from gay marriage to contraceptives. 

Where is the disinformation board when you need them?

Snuffy
Professor Participates
8  Snuffy    2 years ago

Ok, today the Senate will revote on the Women’s Health Protection Act that was previously rejected by the Senate on 2/27/2022.

That they will revote on the same measure that was drafted by Democrats and passed the House only by Democrats, the end result will be the same in the Senate where this will again fail.  This is obviously a political play by Schumer for the November elections.

It also proves to me that the Democrats really have no desire to codify abortion at the federal level.  Politics, as we have heard for years, is the art of compromise.  A bill written by one party without input from the other party hardly speaks of any attempt at compromise.  It shows that the Democrats would rather leave this as an unsettled issue so that they can use it as a club against the Republicans.  Once again we have proof that the partisan nature of political parties has overtaken Washington and our elected politicians would rather bow to party leadership than actually work for the citizens of this country.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
8.1  Snuffy  replied to  Snuffy @8    2 years ago

And as expected, the bill died again 51 - 49.  A bipartisan rejection of the bill.  As there were no changes made to the bill, this remained a 100% Democrat written bill that had all the makings of a poison pill for Republicans.  Honestly, why can't some sort of compromise on this topic be made other than the simple reason that neither party wants to resolve the issue.  So long as they can use this sort of issue to divide the people and keep the people fired up, why should they resolve it?  Keeping the sheep fired up means more money and power in their pockets...   oh well...

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
9  Sean Treacy    2 years ago
Zeke Miller @ZekeJMiller
· 3h
WASHINGTON (AP) — Senate Democrats' bill to write Roe v. Wade into law blocked by GOP-led filibuster as Supreme Court weighs abortion case.
This the head of the White House Correspondent Association.  If you ever wonder who the source of misinformation is.....2 Major lies in a sentence. Top  notch work.