╌>

The US is Reactivating the 11th Airborne Division

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  kavika  •  2 years ago  •  22 comments

By:   Jakub Wozniak (Overt Defense)

The US is Reactivating the 11th Airborne Division
The US is preparing to reorganize US Army Alaska as the 11th Airborne Division- the only US airborne division to fight in the Pacific during WWII.

This article will be of interest to NT veterans, especially those that served in Alaska and Airborne members of NT. 

The 11th Airborne was deactivated in 1965, prior to that it was the only Airborne Division that fought in the Pacific theater in WWII. the 187th RCT of the 11th Airborne fought in Korea and made two combat jumps there. My cuz, Lemon' Clark was part of the 187th in Korea. ''All the way cuz''...Link to the history of the 187th RCT. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/187th_Infantry_Regiment_(United_States)

This link gives the history of the 11th Airborne and is well worth reading. The 11th took part in the '' raid at Los Baños'' along with the Alamo Scouts, Philippine guerillas, and US Army Rangers. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/11th_Airborne_Division_(United_States)#:~:text=The%2011th%20Airborne%20Division%20(%22Angels,underwent%20rigorous%20training%20throughout%201943.

The reactivation of the 11th will bring a huge change to the US Army, Alaska. Recently more and more emphasis has been put on Aritic training with a number of US Special Forces undergoing arctic training. 

Currently, the 10th Mountain Division is the only cold weather/mountain troops in the US Army. In that group is the 87th Infantry the first US Mountain and Ski troops formed and activated in WWII. 

Senator Bob Dole and the Von Trapp brothers were part of the famed 87th. 

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By Jakub Wozniak in Army, History, News, USA May 23, 2022

This month, the US Chief of Staff of the Army and Secretary of the Army announced to the senate that the army plans to reactivate the 11th Airborne Division in Alaska. There are currently two major units in the state: the 1st Stryker Brigade Combat Team and the 4th Infantry Brigade Combat Team (Airborne); they will form the core of the new division. Supporting elements in Alaska will also become part of the division. In other words, the 11th Airborne division is replacing US Army Alaska.

Artillerymen of the 1st Brigade Combat Team. While currently part of the 25th Infantry division, the BCT will soon become part of the new 11th Airborne division. (U.S. Army National Guard photo by Sgt. Seth LaCount)

The two brigade combat teams in Alaska are currently part of the 25th Infantry Division which is based out of Hawaii where two other divisional brigade combat teams, the division's aviation brigade and other supporting elements are located.

The reactivated 11th airborne will have soldiers wear an "arctic" tab in addition to the divisions' traditional "airborne" tab.

The army hopes that splitting the 25th division in two will allow what has thus been organized as "US Army Alaska" to form a new, stronger identity that will reinforce the army's growing focus on the arctic region. According to Chief of Staff of the Army General. James C. McConville:

"The 11th has a great history and heritage that means a lot to Soldiers. Also, we're looking at the Arctic very differently. We put out a strategy. We think it's very different. […] We've got to be able to operate in that environment. We have to make sure the units have the capabilities, and that gives them the confidence to be special. They have the right vehicles to operate in the coldest climate. They have the right equipment and the right clothing. All those things come together to give them a sense of identity."

The 11th Airborne Division was one of the five formed during World War II and the only one to operate in the Pacific Theater. After seeing action on the islands of Leyete and Luzon during the war, the division played a major role in the occupation of Japan between 1945 and 1949 and was eventually inactivated in 1958.

Tags: 11th, 25th, airborne, Alaska, Angels, BCT, division, Leyete, Luzon, McConville, paratrooper, tropic thunder, USARAK

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Kavika     2 years ago

No politics

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2  Raven Wing    2 years ago

That is wonderful news, Kavika. Great that they reactivated the 11th division instead of just creating a new one.Thank you very much for posting this information

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3  Trout Giggles    2 years ago

Which Fort will they be based out of? My first duty station was at Eielson AFB which served as close ground support for the troops at Fort Wainwright.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Trout Giggles @3    2 years ago

From what I've seen they are boing to stay at the current locations, Trout.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @3.1    2 years ago

I can't remember the name of the fort that's located near Elmendorf AFB near Anchorage

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.2  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.1    2 years ago

Fort Richardson I believe.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.1.3  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Kavika @3.1.2    2 years ago

Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, in Anchorage

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @3.1.2    2 years ago

I do believe you're right.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4  devangelical    2 years ago

brrrrr...

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  devangelical @4    2 years ago

Shorts are not required.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @4.1    2 years ago

You can wear them in the summer in Fairbanks. I learned to water ski in Alaska

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.2  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.1    2 years ago

Summer in Fairbanks is a Tuesday afternoon in August. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @4.1.2    2 years ago

lol

It's not that bad. I remember one July 4 it was 90 degrees and it took all day to get a ski boat out at  Birch Lake. That was the outdoor rec center the base owned

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5  Jeremy Retired in NC    2 years ago

Fort Bragg and the XVIII Airborne Corps is preparing for a celebration of this event.  

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5    2 years ago
Fort Bragg and the XVIII Airborne Corps is preparing for a celebration of this event.  

Good to hear. It's exciting for old lawn darts.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.1.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Kavika @5.1    2 years ago

Hey!  I'm one of those "old lawn darts".  I'd do it again if I had the chance.  Best part of my career was with the 82d Airborne.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.2  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.1.1    2 years ago

And I'm an even older lawn dart. I would do it again with the 101st (pre-air assault.)

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.1.3  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Kavika @5.1.2    2 years ago
air assault

We referred to them as "Dope On A Rope"  Too scared to jump.  Too lazy to walk.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.4  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.1.3    2 years ago
We referred to them as "Dope On A Rope"  Too scared to jump.  Too lazy to walk.

LMAO

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
6  Drinker of the Wry    2 years ago

Last year, the US Army published it's Arctic Strategy, supporting the 2019 DoD’s Arctic Strategy.  It lays out how the Army will generate, train, organize and equip the force to partner with Arctic allies and secure US interests. This  strategy adapts how the Army executes extended, multi-domain operations in extreme conditions to support the joint warfighter.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
7  Greg Jones    2 years ago

Way back in the day, spent the longest year of my life at the 708th AC&W Squadron site out in the boonies somewhere near Hughes.

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Greg Jones @7    2 years ago

Also known as ''the middle of nowhere''.