╌>

Rescuing a film from obscurity

Category:  Op/Ed

By:  vic-eldred  •  2 years ago  •  18 comments

Rescuing a film from obscurity
How dare you come down to our Southland and say a thing like that? You lying Yankee carpetbagger. Now, which side emerged victorious in the War Between the States, mister?

Have you ever been what is known as overtired? I know I was exactly that Saturday night when I drove home in a fierce rain storm from CT. I tried to sleep and then decided to grab a drink and check out TCM. Saturday night is the Film noir night on TCM. As soon as I was tuned in, almost on cue, a movie had just begun titled "The Strange One." I could tell it was from the splendid decade and I was amazed at how well it was made and how timeless it seemed. I was thinking of putting this little review in the Movie Group, but there is a rule there which is sometimes enforced regarding politics and I recognize a bit of politics in this underrated movie, which I want to mention.

The movie itself keeps one mesmerized from beginning to end. It takes place in a military academy in the south and is basically about an officer who is best described as a devious bully, constantly tormenting his freshman cadets. We all know about hazing at certain schools. I don't want to go into much detail about the story-line just in case somebody wants to see it for themselves. It is free and in good condition on You Tube. Right away, many of us recognize that terrible combination of cunning & abuse of authority. We can see it in a certain political party, the current government and the media. At least that is the connection I'm going to make. However, I did a little investigating about this movie and I found out that it was most likely made with the opposite motives. The obvious motive. It kind of speaks for itself when you see it.

I discovered that the story was adapted from Calder Willingham's first novel and then his play "End as a Man." Willingham went to the Citadel, but never graduated. Get it? The director, Jack Garfein survived imprisonment in the infamous Auschwitz concentration camp during WW2, where his entire family was killed and he alone survived and came to the US at age 15. That I guess added to the energy in the film's presentation of the military & authority. I never went to a military school, but watching this, I wanted to grab somebody and say: this could never happen!

Part of the reason that I believe the movie didn't do well or is little known is because there was friction between the director and the producer, which almost led to a minor mutiny. After it was made the producer, Sam Spiegel spent 0 on advertising. The movie was released in 1957 and although Ben Gazzara had played the part in the stage version, it was his first movie. Other actors also performed in the earlier play titled "End of Man,' which played to rave reviews on Broadway. Regardless of how I feel about any particular aspect of this movie, I found it very entertaining.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  author  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

One for the ages!

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 years ago
Saturday night is the Film noir night on TCM. As soon as I was tuned in, almost on cue, a movie had just begun titled  "The Strange One."  I could tell it was from the splendid decade and I was amazed at how well it was made and how timeless it seemed.  It is free and in good condition on You Tube.

Thanks for posting this review. TCM is one of my favorite channels because it shows acclaimed masterpieces, hidden gems, and everything in-between. "The Strange One" is a hidden gem, for sure.

Did you watch this? A much older Ben Gazzara discussing the movie.

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.1  CB  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.1    2 years ago

I actually enjoyed this "discussion" about old movie making. Thoroughly.

Hallux
PhD Principal
2  Hallux    2 years ago

A review from the date of release ... the film adaption of End as a Man appears to have little to do with the seeder's attempt to gorilla glue it to his pettish peeve, democrats. By all means watch the film, the play's original suggested homosexual violence (as can be seen from the film's poster) has been edited out for the shrieking puritanical crowd.

CB
Professor Principal
3  CB    2 years ago

Happy Independence Day!

The Strange One (1957) Film-Noir Drama - Full Length Movie

Now that it is posted. I will let y'all know what I think of it by the end of the day.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
3.1  Jasper2529  replied to  CB @3    2 years ago
Now that it is posted. I will let y'all know what I think of it by the end of the day.

Thanks for posting the YouTube movie, but Vic let us know in paragraph 2 of his intro that it is available for free on that site. I watched it when I first saw this article several hours ago. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jasper2529 @3.1    2 years ago

Thank you sir.

I'm glad somebody actually watched it.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
3.1.2  Jasper2529  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.1    2 years ago
I'm glad somebody actually watched it.

I've always enjoyed performances by Ben Gazzara, George Peppard, and Pat Hingle. 

Just an aside - How ironic that "sex-ploitative" and hypocritical Hollywood people and US government pols created the puritanical censorship Hays Code during the decades during which they willfully hid their own behavior. 

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.3  CB  replied to  Jasper2529 @3.1    2 years ago

Very good movie production. A lot I recognize in the characters. A lot I don't fully comprehend in the characters. And a lot I ask is it just positioned there for ambience. The homosexual male presence adds a layer, but it has no focus, except to say homosexuals are always 'layered' in the midst of male 'encampments'?

I just finished watching this movie. I'd not seen or heard of it before. It is well-preserved and good quality even for a Youtube presentation because some of Youtube's full movie leave a lot to be be desired presentation-wise.

Very good movie.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.4  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  CB @3.1.3    2 years ago
but it has no focus,

Very good!

Very good movie

We agree!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.5  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jasper2529 @3.1.2    2 years ago
I've always enjoyed performances by Ben Gazzara, George Peppard, and Pat Hingle. 

Peppard was a good fit, since I think he just finished a stint in the Marines.

Just an aside - How ironic that "sex-ploitative" and hypocritical Hollywood people and US government pols created the puritanical censorship Hays Code during the decades during which they willfully hid their own behavior. 

Two worlds intersected within a few years. Great irony!

CB
Professor Principal
4  CB    2 years ago

original

What the ? is this 'car'?!

GregTx
PhD Guide
4.1  GregTx  replied to  CB @4    2 years ago

Looks like a Citreon.

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.1  CB  replied to  GregTx @4.1    2 years ago
Citreon

In the film, two people get out of it: driver in front, passenger in back. Top opened up like a suitcase!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.2  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  CB @4    2 years ago

Lol....I know, I  didn't get that!

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.1  CB  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.2    2 years ago

It's quite an artful (an understated) little car. Particularly for the period of grandiose 'America'?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.2.2  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  CB @4.2.1    2 years ago

That it was. When I saw it, I wasn't sure...I put the Rum away after that.

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.3  CB  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.2.2    2 years ago

LOL!