╌>

The President Who Stood Still on Jan. 6 - WSJ

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  2 years ago  •  24 comments

By:   The Editorial Board (WSJ)

The President Who Stood Still on Jan. 6 - WSJ
Even as the riot raged at the Capitol, Trump wouldn't tell his supporters to stop.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Even as the riot raged at the Capitol, Trump wouldn't tell his supporters to stop.

By The Editorial Board July 22, 2022 6:52 pm ET

No matter your views of the Jan. 6 special committee, the facts it is laying out in hearings are sobering. The most horrifying to date came Thursday in a hearing on President Trump's conduct as the riot raged and he sat watching TV, posting inflammatory tweets and refusing to send help.

Shortly after Mr. Trump urged protesters to march on the Capitol, he was told violence was breaking out. At about 1:30 p.m. he went to the dining room, where he stayed until 4 p.m. There is no official record of what he did, and the photographer was told no pictures.

(Spam deleted)

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    2 years ago

The Wall Street Journal Is Finally Denouncing Donald Trump!

Hallux
Masters Principal
1.1  Hallux  replied to  JBB @1    2 years ago

Oh no, we're doomed! But to save the day I have some fake news: George Soros bought it at a Murdoch 'All Must Go' yard sale.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2  devangelical  replied to  JBB @1    2 years ago

meh, rupert will find another fascist du jour to promote for 2024...

Hallux
Masters Principal
1.2.1  Hallux  replied to  devangelical @1.2    2 years ago

Christmas will be here shortly and there is already a run on:

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.2.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Hallux @1.2.1    2 years ago

Yep! That star is rising and beginning to shine....thanks to these hearings.   jrSmiley_49_smiley_image.gif

Hallux
Masters Principal
1.2.3  Hallux  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2.2    2 years ago

We'll see how Donald plays it, he may trade an endorsement for a pardon and I don't recall that playing well for Ford.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.3  Jack_TX  replied to  JBB @1    2 years ago

Rioting, chaos, and protesting, in general, are vast destroyers of money.  They consume money and afford zero value in return.  They destroy value that people have worked hard to build.  

WSJ is written for people who like, understand, and have money.  So expect it to be pro-Trump when he's doing things that are pro-money, and anti-Trump when he fails to stop things that are anti-money.

I do wonder about the word "horrifying", though.  It's as though the news that Trump sat there and fiddled while DC burned is some sort of bombshell revelation.  We've all known this since we saw it happen, surely.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.3.1  TᵢG  replied to  Jack_TX @1.3    2 years ago
We've all known this since we saw it happen, surely.

We all 'knew' that from our news sources.   What we did not know is that not only did Trump not act for hours (something we all could see) but that he was repeatedly informed that his supporters were armed, were breaking & entering the capitol and were threatening the life of Pence and in spite of pleas from advisors, family and 'friends' Trump flat out refused to take any action until the 187th minute.   And he could have acted in any number of ways to deliver a 'cease and desist' message including tweets and walking to the press room and be on national TV within minutes.   I suspect that his voice could also be easily broadcasted over the capitol campus via loudspeaker.  All sorts of options.   Trump did nothing to discourage this until the 187th minute.

And of course he also had the power to deliver force to stop the violence.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.3.2  Greg Jones  replied to  TᵢG @1.3.1    2 years ago

The rioters would have ignored him...it was out of control from the start

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.3.3  TᵢG  replied to  Greg Jones @1.3.2    2 years ago

If you had watched the hearings you would have seen video of rioters looking at their phones and stating that 'he is telling us to go home'.   

Good grief man you are arguing that there is nothing a PotUS can do to stop an armed insurrection of the Capitol. 

Regardless, Greg, do you condone any PotUS who would refuse to act to stop an armed insurrection of the Capitol?

squiggy
Junior Silent
1.4  squiggy  replied to  JBB @1    2 years ago

Special Sunday Edition

... because I can't go a day without.

JBB
Professor Principal
1.4.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  squiggy @1.4    2 years ago

It is pretty damn bad if The Washington Post and The Wall Street Journal are finally denouncing Trump, and in no uncertain terms!

Hallux
Masters Principal
1.4.2  Hallux  replied to  JBB @1.4.1    2 years ago
The Washington Post

The New York Post

JBB
Professor Principal
1.4.3  seeder  JBB  replied to  Hallux @1.4.2    2 years ago

You are correct. I caught it, but it was too late to edit it...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.5  Tessylo  replied to  JBB @1    2 years ago

They were doing it for HIM.  He knew they had weapons but "weren't going to hurt HIM."

His supporters/enablers don't seem to realize it's all about HIM

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2  TᵢG    2 years ago
No matter your views of the Jan. 6 special committee, the facts it is laying out in hearings are sobering. The most horrifying to date came Thursday in a hearing on President Trump's conduct as the riot raged and he sat watching TV, posting inflammatory tweets and refusing to send help.

But of course some here argue that these hearing should be ignored and thus refuse to even consider under-oath testimony from high-ranking, connected Republicans such as Pat Cipollone who compromise their careers to testify.

Willful ignorance.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3  Greg Jones    2 years ago

What's the end game?

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Greg Jones @3    2 years ago

original

Hallux
Masters Principal
3.2  Hallux  replied to  Greg Jones @3    2 years ago
What's the end game?

'Don't Call Me Stupid' Eric gets all the money and disowns the entire family.

JBB
Professor Principal
4  seeder  JBB    2 years ago

Trumpo diddled while DC burned...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1  Tessylo  replied to  JBB @4    2 years ago

He watched the violence unfold on TV which he watched and rewound and watched again and again and again.

They're doing this for ME

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4.1.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @4.1    2 years ago
rewound and watched again and again and again

Do you still use a VCR, seriously?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2  Tessylo  replied to  JBB @4    2 years ago

He would have been diddling his little mushroom watching the violence unfold if others hadn't been around.  I bet his supporters/enablers were

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4.2.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @4.2    2 years ago

[Deleted]