╌>

U.S. House Speaker Pelosi lands in Taiwan; Chinese warplanes take to skies | Reuters

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  sparty-on  •  2 years ago  •  42 comments

By:   Yimou Lee,Sarah Wu (Reuters)

U.S. House Speaker Pelosi lands in Taiwan; Chinese warplanes take to skies | Reuters
U.S. House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi arrived in Chinese-claimed Taiwan aboard a U.S. military aircraft late on Tuesday, the first such visit in 25 years and one that risks pushing relations between Washington and Beijing to a new low.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By Yimou Lee and Sarah Wu6 minute read Register now for FREE unlimited access to Reuters.com Register
Summary
Chinese warplanes buzz Taiwan Strait dividing line
U.S. House speaker's visit has enraged Beijing
Beijing insists self-ruled Taiwan is part of China
TAIPEI, Aug 2 (Reuters) - U.S. House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi arrived in Chinese-claimed Taiwan aboard a U.S. military aircraft late on Tuesday, the first such visit in 25 years and one that risks pushing relations between Washington and Beijing to a new low.
Pelosi and her delegation disembarked from a U.S. Air Force transport plan at Songshan Airport in downtown Taipei and were greeted by Taiwan's foreign minister, Joseph Wu and Sandra Oudkirk, the top U.S. representative in Taiwan.
"Our congressional delegation's visit to Taiwan honors America's unwavering commitment to supporting Taiwan's vibrant democracy," Pelosi said in a statement shortly after landing. "America's solidarity with the 23 million people of Taiwan is more important today than ever, as the world faces a choice between autocracy and democracy."
Register now for FREE unlimited access to Reuters.com
Register
Pelosi was on a tour of Asia that includes announced visits to Singapore, Malaysia, South Korea and Japan. Her stop in Taiwan had not been announced but had been widely anticipated.
Chinese warplanes buzzed the line dividing the Taiwan Strait on

visit seeded article for remaining content

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Sparty On    2 years ago

Never thought I would say this but good on Pelosi.

Way to go Nancy!

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Sparty On @1    2 years ago

China, Xi, and the CCP can blow it out the wazoo! They are pretty much all bluff and bluster.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     2 years ago

China which spouts how important territorial sovereignty it seems to forget that when they want something that doesn't belong to them.

I big middle finger to China from Pelosi.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Kavika @2    2 years ago

Well said! My sentiments exactly.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3  Ozzwald    2 years ago
U.S. House Speaker Pelosi Lands In Taiwan; Chinese Warplanes Take To Skies

Well I guess that's a step above NK.  When Kim-Jong Un gets upset with another country, he starts shooting missiles into the ocean.

One way or another, it is equivalent to a 5 year old throwing a tantrum by throwing their toys all over the room.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     2 years ago
China’s military responded with a show of force. The People’s Liberation Army sent an unspecified number of Russian-made Su-35 fighter jets “flying across the Taiwan Strait,” Chinese state broadcaster China Central Television reported minutes ahead of Mrs. Pelosi’s arrival.

From what been seen by the Russian aircraft against smaller, older Ukraine airforce none of the Russian aircraft have fared that well including the Su 35.

Taiwan will be taking notes and adjusting its defenses.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5  Jasper2529    2 years ago

Good for Pelosi! She ignored the quivering posture of the White House and did the correct thing. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6  Sean Treacy    2 years ago

Glad she didn’t back down and followed through on her plans.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
7  arkpdx    2 years ago

Good for Nancy. Just proves even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes. 

As for the Chinese all I can say 

他妈的关闭

Sparty On
Professor Principal
8  seeder  Sparty On    2 years ago

One worries what the Chinese will do now to “save face” but Pelosi really had no choice as capitulation to their demands would have been worse.

If anything bad comes from this via China they will reap the whirlwind they are threatening others with.   Big time but what do they care?    In their minds they have plenty of pawns to waste.   Plenty.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8.1  Tacos!  replied to  Sparty On @8    2 years ago

The Chinese will do a bunch of saber-rattling, but beyond that, I don’t think they will do anything.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
8.1.2  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  dennis smith @8.1.1    2 years ago

Yep as they have the advantage of virtually no political diversity.    

No free elections, the CCP gets what it wants ..... every time.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
9  Tacos!    2 years ago
Pelosi said in a statement shortly after landing. "America's solidarity with the 23 million people of Taiwan is more important today than ever,

What solidarity? I want to see Taiwan succeed, but if China ever decided to invade, I do not believe Americans would be interested in rushing to its rescue any more than we have for Ukraine. I’m sure we would verbally condemn the action, and support some level of economic sanctions against China, but I honestly doubt we would even be as tough on China as we have been on Russia.

Not sure what she thinks she is accomplishing. 

It’s fine to be friendly with Taiwan, but there are reasons why almost no one in the world recognizes them as an independent country. A big part of the problem has been Taiwan itself. Ever since the break with the PRC, it has put itself out there as the true government of China. They still call themselves the “Republic of China.” That doesn’t help things. It seems to me like it would be simpler if they just tried to be independent and separate.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
9.1  arkpdx  replied to  Tacos! @9    2 years ago
 I do not believe Americans would be interested in rushing to its rescue any more than we have for Ukraine

We have a treaty with Taiwan that says we will do exactly that. We did not with Ukraine. The only problem I see is that we have a weenie for a president who's family is a wholely owned subsidiary of the Chinese. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
9.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  arkpdx @9.1    2 years ago

I admit I am no expert on our treaty with Taiwan, but Wiki says:

The Taiwan Relations Act does not guarantee the U.S. will intervene militarily if the PRC attacks or invades Taiwan

and 

the decision about the nature and quantity of defense services that America will provide to Taiwan is to be determined by the President and Congress

We at least recognize Ukraine as its own country. We don’t even have the stones to do that with Taiwan. Hell, moving our Israeli embassy to Jerusalem was controversial. These days, the American people (and Congress) are pretty burnt out on foreign wars.

I really don’t think there would be popular support for any direct war against China unless they actually attacked our country - or maybe the UK, something like that.

Dulay
Professor Expert
9.1.2  Dulay  replied to  arkpdx @9.1    2 years ago

How many trademarks did China give the Biden's? They gave Ivanka 16 in the first-year of 45's term.

The biggest irony is that one of the trademarks is for voting machines. jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

GregTx
PhD Guide
9.1.3  GregTx  replied to  Dulay @9.1.2    2 years ago

Huh? I didn't think that China believed in trademarks or copyrights....

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
9.1.4  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  GregTx @9.1.3    2 years ago
I didn't think that China believed in trademarks or copyrights.

They believe i those that they can copy and steal.

Dulay
Professor Expert
9.1.5  Dulay  replied to  GregTx @9.1.3    2 years ago

Well, you were wrong. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
9.1.6  Dulay  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @9.1.4    2 years ago

Yes, Trump harped on that ad nauseam during his campaign and once elected went after all of China's trademark and copyright crimes. 

Oh, wait...

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9.1.7  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  Dulay @9.1.6    2 years ago

Lol .... your understanding of Trumps vs Biden’s actions towards China appear to be obtuse at best.

Trump was tougher on China.   At minimum enacting trade tariffs as the Biden’s lined their pockets and Joe continually goes soft on China.    Again and again, the latest being advising Pelosi to not go to Taiwan.

And Trump benefited more than the Biden’s?

Ridiculous.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
9.1.8  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dulay @9.1.2    2 years ago
How many trademarks did China give the Biden's? They gave Ivanka 16 in the first-year of 45's term.

Are you down to trying to conflate influence peddling with investment & creativity?

The CCP OWNS the Biden's!

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
9.1.9  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Dulay @9.1.6    2 years ago

Oh wait what?

Dulay
Professor Expert
9.1.10  Dulay  replied to  Sparty On @9.1.7    2 years ago
Lol .... your understanding of Trumps vs Biden’s actions towards China appear to be obtuse at best.

Lol...your understanding of my understanding towards anything is infinitesimal. 

Trump was tougher on China. 

jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

At minimum enacting trade tariffs 

Tariffs that WE paid for.

as the Biden’s lined their pockets and Joe continually goes soft on China.

Unfounded and unsubstantiated clap trap. 

Again and again, the latest being advising Pelosi to not go to Taiwan.

So now suddenly you and yours support Pelosi? jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

And Trump benefited more than the Biden’s?

The Trump's sure hope that's true. 

Ridiculous.

Obtuse.

Dulay
Professor Expert
9.1.11  Dulay  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @9.1.9    2 years ago

Do you have evidence that I am unaware of that Trump went after China for trademark and copyright infringement?

Post it please. 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
9.1.12  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Dulay @9.1.11    2 years ago

Went after?

What do you mean?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
9.1.13  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  arkpdx @9.1    2 years ago

I doubt it would be just the US alone. I think the rest of the QUAD will be involved as will other countries in the region that would be more than happy to be part of the party to see China brought down a few notches.

Dulay
Professor Expert
9.1.14  Dulay  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @9.1.12    2 years ago

You're boring me. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9.1.15  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  Dulay @9.1.10    2 years ago

Glad we disagree, proof that once again, I’m spot on.    Thx for the reinforcement. 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
9.1.16  arkpdx  replied to  Dulay @9.1.10    2 years ago
So now suddenly you and yours support Pelosi?

Even a blind squirrel will find a nut now and then. She found hers. Why would you think that she should not be praised for doing the right and proper thing for a change?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
9.1.17  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  arkpdx @9.1.16    2 years ago

Amen.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
9.1.18  Ronin2  replied to  Dulay @9.1.10    2 years ago

Which is the reason Biden again canceled a missile test- to not provoke China. It was first canceled not to provoke Russia,

Biden is the great appeaser to those that have lined the Biden family pockets with money.

When it comes to being weak no one beats the human fuck up machine.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
9.1.19  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Dulay @9.1.14    2 years ago

That really hurts me, Dulay.

Dulay
Professor Expert
9.1.20  Dulay  replied to  arkpdx @9.1.16    2 years ago
Why would you think that she should not be praised for doing the right and proper thing for a change?

Why do you think that posting strawman arguments equate with adult discussion? 

Dulay
Professor Expert
9.1.21  Dulay  replied to  Sparty On @9.1.15    2 years ago

So your pretzel logic is that refutation of your posits merely act to enforce their accuracy. 

Delusional. 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
9.1.22  arkpdx  replied to  Dulay @9.1.20    2 years ago

I learned from you

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
9.1.23  arkpdx  replied to  Dulay @9.1.20    2 years ago

[Deleted]

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
9.1.24  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @9.1.4    2 years ago

Yep.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
9.1.25  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  arkpdx @9.1.23    2 years ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Dulay
Professor Expert
9.1.26  Dulay  replied to  arkpdx @9.1.22    2 years ago

That was a question. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9.1.27  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  Dulay @9.1.21    2 years ago

Nah, not even a nice try.

Your political drama is weak and getting weaker.

Sad ....