╌>

Ukraine Citizen Who 'Destroyed' Russian Su-34 Jet With Rifle Given Medal

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  2 years ago  •  11 comments

By:   Isabel van Brugen (Newsweek)

Ukraine Citizen Who 'Destroyed' Russian Su-34 Jet With Rifle Given Medal
"I went 'bang' with my stick. And it was like 'bang.' And it [a Russian Su-34 jet] fell," Valeriy Fedorovych said.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

WorldRussiaRussia-Ukraine WarUkraineVladimir Putin

A Ukraine citizen who opened fire on a Russian Su-34 jet with a rifle and "destroyed" it has been awarded a medal and branded a "hero."

The State Border Service of Ukraine announced Friday that officials had awarded "pensioner" Valeriy Fedorovych with a medal "for assistance in the protection of the state border."

Officials said that in March, when Russian President Vladimir Putin's troops continuously bombarded Chernihiv, a hard-hit city in northern Ukraine, Fedorovych "took his rifle and opened fire."

"Heroes among us," officials said, adding that after Fedorovych fired at the jet with his rifle, "the enemy fighter Su-34 was targeted and destroyed."

The State Border Service of Ukraine announced Friday that officials had awarded "pensioner" Valeriy Fedorovych, seen above, with a medal "for assistance in the protection of the state border." The State Border Service of Ukraine

"The plane fell, and our hero received the medal 'For assistance in the protection of the state border,'" Ukraine's state border service said.

Kyiv released a short clip that shows Fedorovych with a rifle slung around his shoulder, walking through buildings destroyed by shelling as a result of Putin's invasion, which began on February 24.

"On the second lap, how did it go? I went 'bang' with my stick [rifle]. And it was like 'bang.' And it [a Russian Su-34 jet] fell," Fedorovych said in the video.

An inserted clip appears to show the moment the Russian Su-34 was hit. Cheering and clapping can be heard in the background as the plane quickly plummets.

Russia's invasion of Ukraine has taken a heavy toll on Chernihiv, located about 88 miles from the capital city Kyiv. Human Rights Watch said in June that Russian troops killed and wounded multiple civilians in eight attacks in the city in early March, shortly after the war began.

"Russian forces in March repeatedly attacked populated areas in Chernihiv from the ground and air with seeming disregard for civilian loss of life," said Belkis Wille, senior crisis and conflict researcher at Human Rights Watch. "The failure of Ukrainian forces in some areas to remove civilians added to the casualties, but the attacker must still distinguish between civilians and combatants."

Chernihiv remains under Ukrainian control.

Read more

• Ukrainian Man, 64, Destroys Russian Gas Truck With Grenade Launcher—Report
  • Expect 'False Flag' Attack at Zaporizhzhia Today—Both Russia, Ukraine Warn
  • Russians Fail to Block HIMARS Bridge Strike—Viral Video Purportedly Shows

Fedorovych isn't the first Ukrainian civilian to be recognized for destroying Russian military equipment.

In February, Valentin Didkovskiy, 64, single-handedly destroyed a Russian gas tank with a grenade launcher.

Dubbed the "fighting grandfather," Didkovskiy told Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty that he was in Bucha in Ukraine's Kyiv region on February 27 when he saw approaching Russia's armed forces and decided to take action.

"I see a large column [of Russia's armed forces] coming from the direction of the Bucha station. I took a grenade launcher and grenades...I went behind the house. First, I passed the first armored personnel carrier, the second, an armored personnel carrier, a tank—and I saw a gas truck," Didkovskiy recalled in the interview published on August 2.

"It stopped, and I fired a grenade launcher. When I hit it—everything was on fire," he said.

Newsweek reached out to Russia's foreign ministry for comment.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    2 years ago

Good Job!

squiggy
Junior Silent
1.1  squiggy  replied to  JBB @1    2 years ago

Is that him with his rifle?

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  squiggy @1.1    2 years ago

It is him with a shotgun. You can't shoot down a plane with that!

squiggy
Junior Silent
1.1.2  squiggy  replied to  JBB @1.1.1    2 years ago

So, the story is likely a fairy tale?

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1.3  cjcold  replied to  JBB @1.1.1    2 years ago

Shotguns will shoot solid armor piercing sabot slugs but I still find this story unlikely unless he was very good/lucky with it and the jet was flying very low and very slow.  

It still makes a good story and serves as a morale booster for the Ukraine troops.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.4  devangelical  replied to  squiggy @1.1.2    2 years ago
So, the story is likely a fairy tale?

funny, it didn't mention any evangelicals...

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.5  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  devangelical @1.1.4    2 years ago
it didn't mention any evangelicals..

Ukrainians are more likely Orthodox. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2  TᵢG    2 years ago

Almost certainly he did NOT take out a flying jet with a rifle.   This is almost certainly designed to make the Russian military look even more incompetent (and thus same to Putin) and on those grounds I applaud their efforts.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
2.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  TᵢG @2    2 years ago
those grounds I applaud their efforts

Fake news for the good.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.1  TᵢG  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2.1    2 years ago

Indeed.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     2 years ago

I doubt if he shot down the jet fighter but it does show one thing and that being that the Ukrainians will not be enslaved without one hell of a fight. I've seen many clips with older men, 50s and 60s fighting on the front lines with the Territorial Guard. The partisans in the Kershone and Crimea are playing hell with the Russians.