╌>

Dr. Oz Campaign Hires Actors To Play Convicted Felons Supporting Fetterman

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  2 years ago  •  17 comments

By:   Darragh Roche (Newsweek)

Dr. Oz Campaign Hires Actors To Play Convicted Felons Supporting Fetterman
Oz has launched an "Inmates for Fetterman" initiative that focuses on the Republican's criticism of his opponent's views on crime.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

PoliticsPennsylvaniaSenateMidterms

Republican U.S. Senate candidate Dr. Mehmet Oz has reportedly hired people to portray convicted felons as part of his campaign against Democratic opponent, Lt. Governor John Fetterman.

Oz, a celebrity heart surgeon endorsed by former President Donald Trump, has strongly criticized Fetterman for his stance on crime and in particular the fact he wants to end mandatory life sentences for second-degree murder.

Images of people portraying convicted felons and holding signs saying "Inmates for Fetterman" were shared to Twitter on Tuesday morning by PatriotTakes, a Twitter account that describes itself as "dedicated researchers monitoring and exposing right-wing extremism and other threats to democracy."

The individuals are shown wearing orange jumpsuits and one can be seen holding a sign that says: "Another convicted felon for Fetterman."

mehmet-oz-speaks-wilkes-barre-pennsylvania.jpg?w=790&f=2d7c4b626e1c5dcf36da870bcaad198d Pennsylvania GOP Senate candidate Dr. Mehmet Oz speaks before an appearance by former president Donald Trump to endorse local candidates at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania on September 03, 2022. Polls show Democratic Lt. Governor John Fetterman leading Oz.Spencer Platt/Getty Images

One of the people depicted is Colin Matthews, who originally shared the photos of himself with Oz, as well as with others dressed in the jumpsuits, to his Instagram page. He also discussed dressing as a convicted felon.

The photos shows Oz autographing one of the signs in question with Matthews standing next to him.

"Last night might've been the greatest things I've ever done in politics yet. I was hired by the Oz campaign to play the role of a felon supporting Fetterman… I can't believe how many idiots thought I was legit out of jail," Matthews wrote.

The photos were shared to Twitter on Tuesday but the Oz campaign announced its "Inmates for Fetterman" initiative on September 2 and has set up a dedicated website on the issue.

Read more

• Trump Says Geoff Diehl Will Rule Massachusetts With 'Iron Fist' If Elected
  • Powerful Nevada Culinary Union is Back But GOP Sees 'Best Chance' in Decade
  • Biden Denounces MAGA Threat While Democrats Spend Millions Helping Them Win

Oz's communications director Brittany Yanick previously shared a tweet from journalist Justin Sweitzer about the Inmates for Fetterman initiative. That tweet featured the campaign's press release and a photo that included Matthews and others in orange jumpsuits.

Oz has taken aim at Fetterman over his stance on convicted felons with the Republican accusing Fetterman of wanting to "eliminate life sentences for murderers."

However, Fact Check.org has found that claim to be inaccurate. In fact, Fetterman is opposed to mandatory life sentences for those convicted of second-degree murder.

The Oz campaign also recently said that two members of Fetterman's campaign staff were convicted murderers and should be fired.

"If John Fetterman cared about Pennsylvania's crime problem, he'd prove it by firing the convicted murderers he employs on his campaign," Yanick said in a statement on Thursday.

Fetterman's campaign responded by saying the accusation was a "gross smear" and the campaign workers, Dennis Horton and Lee Horton, were wrongly convicted and spent 30 years in prison before their sentences were commuted in 2021.

His campaign said that Fetterman "led the charge for the Board of Pardons to commute their sentences to time served."

Fetterman has been in front of Oz in a slew of recent polls in a race that could decide control of the Senate and poll tracker FiveThirtyEight currently rates the Democrat as favorite to win.

Newsweek has asked the Oz and Fetterman campaigns for comment.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    2 years ago

Is everybody in the gop a goddamn lying troll now?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.1  MrFrost  replied to  JBB @1    2 years ago

Is everybody in the gop a goddamn lying troll now?

Pretty much! 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  MrFrost @1.1    2 years ago

Did Fetterman pay Nicole “Snooki” Polizzi for her political assessment?

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.2  seeder  JBB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.1    2 years ago

You leave us no options except to take that as a BIG YES!

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @1.1.2    2 years ago

Imagine that, paid a Reality TV actor to troll the campaign.

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.4  seeder  JBB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.1.3    2 years ago

Who is Snooki? What is a Snooki? Why should anyone care?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.5  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @1.1.4    2 years ago

Apparently the Fetterman campaigned cared.  Maybe Fetterman's base like Snooki.

squiggy
Junior Silent
1.2  squiggy  replied to  JBB @1    2 years ago

Nobody believes Fetterman is a softy on crime after he took a shotgun to a Black jogger.

Gazoo
Junior Silent
1.2.1  Gazoo  replied to  squiggy @1.2    2 years ago

I wonder if daddy gave him the shotgun. It seems daddy gave him pretty much everything he has. The worthless sob has never had a real job.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @1    2 years ago

It would have been more authentic if they had hired real inmates but PA law and/or prison regulations may not allow for that.

JBB
Professor Principal
1.3.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @1.3    2 years ago

Oz would be more authentic if he was running in New Jersey. 

Or, Istanbul...

Crudites Anyone?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.3.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @1.3.1    2 years ago
Oz would be more authentic if he was running in New Jersey.

I don't disagree, I don't know why he wants to run at all beyond vanity maybe.  I never saw what Oprah sees in him.

Crudites Anyone?

Certainly, I love crudités with a light, olive oil vinaigrette dressing or lemon garlic aioli or my favorite, a Greek dip of roasted peppers, onions and whipped tangy cheese called tirokafteri.  It's especially wonderful with their cherry tomatoes, pickled peppers and other vegetables with some pia bread and a bottle or two of Moschifilero.  Especially enjoyable after a long day of graffiti admiring in Athens.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.4  Greg Jones  replied to  JBB @1    2 years ago

Politicians hire actors for political ads all the time....Fetterman is another soft on crime lib.

stg090522dAPR.jpg

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2  MrFrost    2 years ago

Oz is going to lose and lose, YUGE.. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3  Sean Treacy    2 years ago

Lol. You are just learning politicians use actors in commercials?   

I guess when you support a candidate who chases innocent black joggers with a shotgun, you have to talk about anything than your candidate. 

It must  have been a tough day for the Democrats in Georgia when the murderers of  Ahmaud Arbery  were convicted and unavailable to be elected as a Senator.   You got the next best thing though!

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Sean Treacy @3    2 years ago

The Good News is that Mitch McConnell will never ever be The United States Senate's Majority Leader ever again. Never! Ever...

goose is back
Sophomore Guide
3.1.1  goose is back  replied to  JBB @3.1    2 years ago
Mitch McConnell will never ever be The United States Senate's Majority Leader

That may be true but, he is the one responsible for the Conservative Supreme Court we currently have.