╌>

Inside Politics / The Permit Deal

Category:  Op/Ed

By:  vic-eldred  •  2 years ago  •  62 comments

Inside Politics / The Permit Deal
"In the face of the existential threats like climate change and MAGA extremism, House and Senate leadership has a greater responsibility than ever to avoid risking a government shutdown by jamming divisive policy riders into a must-pass continuing resolution," said House Natural Resources Committee Chairman Raúl Grijalva, an Arizona Democrat who spearheaded the letter. "Permitting reform hurts already-overburdened communities, puts polluters on an even faster track, and divides the caucus."

The link to the quote: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/71-house-democrats-warn-pelosi-against-tying-manchins-permitting-deal-government-funding-bill

Most Americans know nothing of the deal making that goes on in Washington DC and only have a vague idea of what is in a Bill after its passage. Recently the democrats were able to rescue a part of Joe Biden's so-called "Build Back Better Bill," just in time for the midterm elections. The Bill was named the "Inflation Reduction Act." It has almost nothing to do with inflation. As we all know, democrats like to label things for political needs. The Bill includes many things that various factions of the democratic party are interested in, such as "green energy."  One key provision aims to slash greenhouse gas emissions by roughly 40% of 2005 levels before the year 2030. The price that Schumer and the party's more radical wing had to pay was a provision which mandates the sale of oil and gas leases on federal lands and waters (the key compromise made to appease Sen. Joe Manchin.) In addition was something that could not go into the Bill because of "reconciliation." Chuck Schumer promised Manchin to pass legislation streamlining the permit approval process to drill for oil and gas by the end of September.  Schumer recently confirmed that he plans to pair the Permit Deal with a continuing resolution that members of Congress must pass this month to prevent a government shutdown.

It seems that extra part of the deal may very well be in trouble.  Joe Manchin was initially worried about getting 11 or so Senate Republicans to sign on, but it appears that the more leftward leaning elements of the democratic party, having got what they wanted from Manchin, are now bolting from their end of the bargain:

"Seventy-one House Democrats penned a letter to Pelosi, D-Calif., warning that the bill's inclusion will force them to seriously consider voting against the short-term government funding measure, known as a continuing resolution."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/71-house-democrats-warn-pelosi-against-tying-manchins-permitting-deal-government-funding-bill

In the meantime green energy activists are mobilizing in DC. The pressure is on House democrats.

FclevLaWIAAFwSj?format=jpg&name=small
https://twitter.com/search?q=picture%20of%20Manchin&src=typed_query

Manchin didn't know what he was dealing with?

Many of these people serve green energy fanatics who want to shut down American energy. Did Manchin think they could be controlled by Schumer or Pelosi.

Manchin gave his vote to the IRA Bill for a kiss & a promise.

The people will pay the price.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  author  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

We warned you Joe!

I'm sure that Joe has no political allies left. Republicans will likely target him too.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    2 years ago

Leadership? Have not seen any of that from the Dems in the last two years. Raul Grijalva of AZ is a total dirtbag that most Arizonans cannot stand or trust unless they are hard core leftist liberals. I put Joe Manchin in the same category as Mark Kelley. Makes pretty speeches while sitting in the fence then voting in lockstep with his party.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2  Greg Jones    2 years ago

All  Republicans have to do is turn 1 or 2 seats in the Senate to stop the insanity.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Greg Jones @2    2 years ago

I think Georgia may be the key state.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3  author  Vic Eldred    2 years ago

WATCH LIVE: Biden hosts event celebrating passage of Inflation Reduction Act

FcjsjIXXgAMROfp?format=png&name=360x360

https:// trib.al/SVp6BfP

My God, they are really disconnected from reality!

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @3    2 years ago

Celebrations as the Dow plummetts.

Stocks fell sharply on Tuesday after a key August inflation report came in hotter than expected, hurting investor optimism for cooling prices and a less aggressive Federal Reserve.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average slid 1,276.37 points, or 3.94%, to close at 31,104.97. The S&P 500 dropped 4.32% to 3,932.69, and the Nasdaq Composite sank 5.16% to end the day at 11,633.57.

Just five stocks in the S&P 500 finished in positive territory. Tech stocks were hit particularly hard, with Facebook-parent Meta skidding 9.4% and chip giant Nvidia shedding 9.5%.

The drop erased nearly all of the recent rally for stocks, pulling the S&P 500 back toward its Sept. 6 close of 3,908 and causing some traders to glance back at mid-June, when the index fell below 3,700.

“I think we may even go back and retest the June lows,” UBS director of floor operations Art Cashin said Tuesday on CNBC’s “Squawk on the Street.”

“Certainly the 3900 is just so tempting, and you’re pulling back below the 50-day moving average here. It’s very much about the technicals. It’s not so much that the one number made the economy go topsy-turvy. It meant a lot of guys who were making preliminary favorable bets got caught off base,” he said.

The August consumer price index report showed a higher-than-expected reading for inflation. Headline inflation rose 0.1% month over month, even with falling gas prices. Core inflation rose 0.6% month over month. On a year-over-year basis, inflation was 8.3%.

Economists surveyed by Dow Jones had been expecting a decline of 0.1% for overall inflation, with a rise of 0.3% for core inflation.

The report is one of the last the Fed will see ahead of their Sept. 20-21 meeting, where the central bank is expected to deliver its third consecutive 0.75 percentage point interest rate hike to tamp down inflation. The unexpectedly high August report could lead the Fed to continue its aggressive hikes longer than some investors anticipated.

Some people are really clueless.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3.1    2 years ago

I have no idea how he got 80 Million votes, but I doubt he'll ever get anything like that ever again.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.1.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.1    2 years ago

We know how he got them.  The question really is if that will be investigated.  

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
4  SteevieGee    2 years ago

The Inflation Reduction Act is an infrastructure bill.  Remember when DJT promised to work on infrastructure?  I do.  He didn't.  Honestly, I don't see a problem here.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  SteevieGee @4    2 years ago

Ya, we need infrastructure. How about combining the Permit Deal with a continuing resolution to keep the government funded?

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
4.1.1  SteevieGee  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1    2 years ago

I thought you guys wanted more oil and gas leases.  Schumer promised it to Manchin.  That's the best (probably the only) way to get it done.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.2  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  SteevieGee @4.1.1    2 years ago

With an empty promise?  The House democrats are already against it

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  SteevieGee @4.1.1    2 years ago
Schumer promised it to Manchin.  That's the best (probably the only) way to get it done.

No one sane should ever trust Schumer.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
4.1.4  SteevieGee  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.2    2 years ago

Of course the dems are against it.  I'm against it too but, Schumer is keeping his promise to Manchin by linking it to must pass legislation.  This gives it the best chance of passing.  You should be happy but it's awful hard to be happy when you're a perpetual victim.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  SteevieGee @4    2 years ago

So what you are saying is that the "Inflation Reduction Act" is to cover for the failed Infrastructure Bill that was passed.  

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
4.2.1  SteevieGee  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4.2    2 years ago

Wait...  The failed infrastructure bill passed?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4.2.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  SteevieGee @4.2.1    2 years ago

The Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act, AKO Bipartisan Infrastructure Bill was signed by President Biden last November.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.2.3  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4.2.2    2 years ago

Once again Sir, you are the bearer of bad tidings

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
4.2.4  SteevieGee  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4.2.2    2 years ago

So...  It's the most successful "failed infrastructure bill" in history then.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4.2.5  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  SteevieGee @4.2.4    2 years ago

I didn't label it as failed, that said it provides $550B over 10 years or $55B per year.  I wonder how much was spent this year?

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
4.2.6  SteevieGee  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4.2.5    2 years ago

Jeremy labeled it as failed.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4.2.7  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  SteevieGee @4.2.6    2 years ago

Ok, what has been accomplished to date?

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
4.2.8  SteevieGee  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4.2.7    2 years ago

You just said you never labeled it failed.  Are you doing it now?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4.2.9  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  SteevieGee @4.2.8    2 years ago

No, but since you labelled it as "the most successful "failed infrastructure bill" in history", I was interested in what you thought some of the recent successes are.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
4.2.10  1stwarrior  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4.2.5    2 years ago

'Member when this young fella named George W. Bush extolled Congress to allow the U.S. to "fix" the Afghanistani "problem".  He said he guaranteed it would not cost over $1 B - period.

The War In Afghanistan Cost America $300 Million Per Day For 20 Years, With Big Bills Yet To Come

In the 20 years since September 11, 2001, the United States has spent more than $2 trillion on the war in Afghanistan.  That’s $300 million dollars per day, every day, for two decades. Or $50,000 for each of Afghanistan's 40 million people. In baser terms, Uncle Sam has spent more keeping the Taliban at bay than the net worths of Jeff Bezos, Elon Musk, Bill Gates and the 30 richest billionaires in America, combined.

Looks like our "'Lil" prez Joe is paying his Euro crime partners well for all the monetary "gifts" they gave he and his crackhead son.

And the price just keeps getting higher and higher.

To date, the U.S. has provided about $10.6 billion in military aid to Ukraine since the beginning of the Biden administration, including 19 packages of weapons taken directly from Defense Department stocks since August 2021.

But, we can't fix the problems in the U.S. 'cause we ain't got no money.

Wonder why the Euros are more important than U.S. citizens, and where is all this money suddenly coming from???

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4.2.11  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  1stwarrior @4.2.10    2 years ago
'Member when this young fella named George W. Bush extolled Congress to allow the U.S. to "fix" the Afghanistani "problem".  He said he guaranteed it would not cost over $1 B - period.

I remember that the initial mission was to kill/capture as many Al Qaeda as possible and to punish the Taliban for harboring them.  We went into Afghanistan relatively light  and accomplished that mission at the end of 2002 and had lost 37 Service members.  I think we should have left then and told the war lords, if the terrorists come back, so will we.  We had spent about $20B by then.

The Administration made a tragic blunder when it shifted the mission to nation building and sustained stability operations.  I also remember Obama campaigning in 2008 to surge in Afghanistan to win 'the good war", "the war we must win".  He did surge and his eight years we lost 1,724 there compared to the 564 lost during the Bush years.  we spent around $650B during the Obama years and about $160B there in the Bushn years.   

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
4.3  Nerm_L  replied to  SteevieGee @4    2 years ago
The Inflation Reduction Act is an infrastructure bill.  Remember when DJT promised to work on infrastructure?  I do.  He didn't.  Honestly, I don't see a problem here.

Permitting for oil and gas production IS infrastructure.  Can't build highways without oil and gas.  Can't build bridges without coal, oil, and gas.  Can't produce tires without coal, oil, and gas.  EVs are going to be dependent upon oil.  Coal, oil and gas are the feedstocks for plastics and synthetic rubber.

We can't get to an all electric future without coal, oil, and gas.  Without carbon all other infrastructure is impossible.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
4.3.1  SteevieGee  replied to  Nerm_L @4.3    2 years ago

Agreed.  Do you think we need to sell new oil and gas leases to get there?

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
4.3.2  Nerm_L  replied to  SteevieGee @4.3.1    2 years ago
Agreed.  Do you think we need to sell new oil and gas leases to get there?

Obviously, yes.  Without carbon from fossil fuels, everything else collapses.

NIMBY environmentalism is not going to address climate change.  That will only make the United States dependent upon foreign suppliers who aren't as concerned about environmental issues.  If fossil fuel production wrecks the environment then NIMBY environmentalism only demands that we wreck someone else's environment.  That may be a liberal attitude but it certainly is not progressive.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
4.3.3  SteevieGee  replied to  Nerm_L @4.3.2    2 years ago

That's where we disagree Nerm.  With the oil and gas industry sitting on thousands of leases now they have plenty of places to drill now.  While I agree that we will likely always need oil for an abundance of reasons the demand for oil as a motor fuel is going to go away.  In 13 short years you will no longer be able to buy a gas powered car in CA.  Other states will follow.  They always do.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
4.3.4  Nerm_L  replied to  SteevieGee @4.3.3    2 years ago
In 13 short years you will no longer be able to buy a gas powered car in CA.  Other states will follow.  They always do.

Wanna bet?  CA didn't prohibit sale of used ICE vehicles; only new ICE vehicles.  And I'm not sure the CA mandate applies to hybrid electric vehicles.  The only thing the CA mandate will do is drive up the cost of used vehicles.  Guess who that is gonna hurt the most.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.3.5  Greg Jones  replied to  SteevieGee @4.3.3    2 years ago
."....reasons the demand for oil as a motor fuel is going to go away"
Electric cars will never be more than a small fraction of the market
In the meantime....and far into the future
Trucks, buses, and other heavy equipment will continue to run on diesel
Railroad locomotives will continue to mostly run on diesel
Airplanes will continue to use mostly Jet-A....essentially kerosene
Ships will still burn different grades of fuel oil.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5  Sean Treacy    2 years ago

Seventy-one House Democrats penned a letter to Pelosi, D-Calif., warning that the bill's inclusion will force them to seriously consider voting against the short-term government funding measure, known as a continuing resolution

Of course the democrats lied and will go back on their promises. Has Manchin not paid attention the last 40 years?

I can't believe Manchin was naïve enough to believe Schumer would ever live up to his word once he got what he wanted.  I'm assuming he settled for the talking point as an explanation for his caving on his supposed principles, knowing the promises were worthless. 

A Democrat who keeps his promises. Lol.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1  Texan1211  replied to  Sean Treacy @5    2 years ago
Seventy-one House Democrats penned a letter to Pelosi, D-Calif., warning that the bill's inclusion will force them to seriously consider voting against the short-term government funding measure, known as a continuing resolution

Why is Nancy having such a hard time herding her cats?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.1.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1    2 years ago

Alcohol.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.1.1    2 years ago
Alcohol.

Gosh, I hope she gets a designated driver.

Perhaps her husband?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
5.1.3  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.2    2 years ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6  Texan1211    2 years ago

Gee, what will all the Green Agenda folks think of Biden traveling to Delaware by plane and using a motorcade to go vote when he was JUST there last week or could have used a mail-in ballot?

Maybe Joe isn't as keen on conserving energy and reducing emissions as he would like his minions to believe.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
6.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Texan1211 @6    2 years ago

He flew to PA and back three different times within 7 days at the end of Aug.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @6.1    2 years ago

Yeah, I see he is following Al Gore's lead on talking a big game but not doing it personally, after all, conservation is for the peons, not political royalty!

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
6.1.2  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @6.1    2 years ago

ill pose to you, the same question.

How much change and influence does Hillary Clinton have

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
6.1.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  igknorantzrulz @6.1.2    2 years ago

Huh?

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
6.1.4  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @6.1.3    2 years ago
Huh?

If Hillary had hustled for votes by crisscrossing the country engaging with the "Voters", she would have made quite a Green difference, as opposed to Trumps' direction of away from renewables. Point being, it is essential to get the correct people elected, and Hillary was far from even an alright candidate. The FCKN train Wreck Trump was just off the charts ridiculous to expect to be Presidential. He proved that and THEN SOME.

Few hundred thousand dollars or whatever in Jet Fuel , would have saved probably Tens of Billions, and a hell of a lot of face, for US

JBB
Professor Principal
6.2  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @6    2 years ago

Hard to imagine typing that comment not actually trying to be as lameass and cringey as possible...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.1  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @6.2    2 years ago
Hard to imagine typing that comment not actually trying to be as lameass and cringey as possible...

I am sorry you lack the imagination necessary.

Maybe next time...........??

Care to dispute anything I actually wrote, or are you just trolling?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.2  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @6.2    2 years ago

Do you think it wise for the President to take a plane to Delaware just to vote when he could have done it last week or by mail?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.3  Texan1211  replied to  Texan1211 @6.2.1    2 years ago
Care to dispute anything I actually wrote, or are you just trolling?

And I have my answer.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  Texan1211 @6    2 years ago
en Agenda folks think of Biden traveling to Delaware by plane and using a motorcade to go vote when he was JUST there last week or could have used a mail-in ballot?

It's an enlightening story on a few levels. First, of course, is a man who claims to believe global warming is an existential threat to humanity using a private jet with it's massive carbon footprint for his convenience.  What sort of a monster would do that, if he actually believed what he  claims to believe? 

We also have someone willing to waste more than $100,000 of taxpayers money for his convenience. Think about the entitlement that takes. To just say fuck it, I know we are running a massive deficit, but I want to vote so I'll burn taxpayers money.   Does he not feel any guilt, any shame in that sort of excess? He's like a French Aristocrat at Sun King's court, believing all the peasants toil their lives away so he can never be inconvenienced. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.3.1  Texan1211  replied to  Sean Treacy @6.3    2 years ago

It is hard to even imagine the hubris necessary to do something like this after preaching to America about the dangers of climate change due to man's actions.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6.3.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Texan1211 @6.3.1    2 years ago

If Biden  doesn't let "climate change" impact  his behavior, no one else should  feel any pressure to either. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.3.3  Texan1211  replied to  Sean Treacy @6.3.2    2 years ago
If Biden  doesn't let "climate change" impact  his behavior, no one else should  feel any pressure to either. 

Correct.

Some folks go all Chicken Little but their actions don't jibe with their rhetoric.

JBB
Professor Principal
6.3.4  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @6.3.1    2 years ago

Yes, it is still hard for you to imagine that Joe Biden is the President of the United States of America who must travel everywhere with an entourage of security and the full apparatus of government, but he is. He is President!

Unlike you, Joe cannot just load up his 1994 Toyota Tercel and headout on the highway...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.3.5  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @6.3.4    2 years ago
Yes, it is still hard for you to imagine that Joe Biden is the President of the United States of America who must travel everywhere with an entourage of security and the full apparatus of government, but he is. He is President!

No, I know Joe must take his sycophants with him everywhere. 

Unlike you, Joe cannot just load up his 1994 Toyota Tercel and headout on the highway...

As usual, you have missed the relevant points.

Joe COULD have simply voted while he was there LAST WEEK or he COULD have voted by mail.

Instead, he fires up a plane and motorcade so he could do it in person no matter the cost. So much for the 'green agenda' bullshit.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
6.3.6  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @6.3.4    2 years ago
who must travel everywhere with an entourage of security and the full apparatus of government,

No doubt, but make three separate campaign stops to PA and back was a choice as they could have been combined into one 2-3 day trip.  

As of the middle of last month, Biden had spent 49 trips and 150 days at one of his homes in Delaware.  At that point in his presidency, Trump had made 17 visits to Mar-a-Lago and 13 to Bedminster in New Jersey, for 132 days.

JBB
Professor Principal
6.3.7  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @6.3.5    2 years ago

Yes, we know. "Blah blah blah inane shit inane shit blah blah blah inane shit inane shit". You have not scored a gotcha on President Biden.

JBB
Professor Principal
6.3.8  JBB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @6.3.6    2 years ago

Most days Trump didn't get dressed till one PM!

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
6.3.9  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @6.3.8    2 years ago
Most days Trump didn't get dressed till one PM!

I don't think that would increase carbon in the atmosphere.  

BTW, I'm working and still in my PJ's.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.3.10  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @6.3.7    2 years ago
Yes, we know. "Blah blah blah inane shit inane shit blah blah blah inane shit inane shit". You have not scored a gotcha on President Biden.

You sure manage to type a bunch of shit while avoiding answering!!

JBB
Professor Principal
6.3.11  JBB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @6.3.9    2 years ago

You get paid for "what you do" on Newstalkers?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
6.3.12  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @6.3.11    2 years ago

You mean that you don't?  Oops!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.3.13  Texan1211  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @6.3.12    2 years ago
You mean that you don't?  Oops!

Most people will only pay help when they actually DO something.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
7  Nerm_L    2 years ago

Apparently liberal Democrats have a drug problem.  Popping more pills ain't gonna solve anything.