╌>

'Central Park Karen' Amy Cooper Loses Case Against Ex-Employer

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  revillug  •  2 years ago  •  9 comments

By:   Dan Ladden-Hall (The Daily Beast)

'Central Park Karen' Amy Cooper Loses Case Against Ex-Employer
She claimed her firing perpetuated a perception that she was a "privileged white female."

Oh, when Karens take a walk with their dogs off leash in the famous Bramble in NY’s Central Park, where it is clearly posted on signs that dogs MUST be leashed at all times, and someone like my brother (an avid birder) politely asks her to put her dog on the leash. -Melody Cooper

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

One of the internet's most famous 'Karens' has lost a lawsuit against her former employer that claimed she'd been illegally fired and portrayed as racist. Amy Cooper was dubbed "Central Park Karen" after a video of her accusing a Black bird-watcher of threatening her and calling the police went viral in 2020. On Wednesday, U.S. District Judge Ronnie Abrams rejected Cooper's claims that she'd been defamed by her former employer, Franklin Templeton, when it gave her the boot in the aftermath of the viral incident. Cooper had tried to argue that the holding company and its chief executive, Jenny Johnson, had perpetuated an image of her as a "privileged white female 'Karen'" in public statements made about her firing. She claimed that posts made on social media implied that the company had found details of her alleged racism which weren't shown in the video, but Abrams disagreed. "The contents of the viral video, as well as the dialogue surrounding it both in the media and on social media, were already matters of public knowledge," which made the defendants' statements "inactionable as pure opinion," Abrams' decision read.

Read about it at Twitter:

Melody Cooper (bird watcher's sister) over at Twitter

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Revillug
Freshman Participates
1  seeder  Revillug    2 years ago

Clearly, Central Park Karen brought this down upon herself when she weaponized the birdwatcher's race against him in her call to the cops.

OTOH, who walks around with dog treats in their pockets so they can offer them to other people's dogs that are not on leashes?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Revillug @1    2 years ago

Karens looking to cause trouble

JBB
Professor Principal
1.2  JBB  replied to  Revillug @1    2 years ago

She abused own her poor dog so badly it was removed from her...

Revillug
Freshman Participates
1.2.1  seeder  Revillug  replied to  JBB @1.2    2 years ago
She abused own her poor dog so badly it was removed from her...

The dog was returned to her.

She was pulling her dog away from a stranger who was maliciously offering an unsolicited treat to her dog. 

She had no obvious reason to assume the treat wasn't laced with something. That was the whole point in carrying around those treats: to freak out dog owners that ignored his demands.

It's a free country. If you want to tell people their dogs need to be on a leash, that their car is stopped in a crosswalk, that they should cover their mouths when they cough, that they should wear a mask, that the are talking too loudly on the cell phone on the bus, then you are within your constitutional rights.

But if you are that person who goes around slapping car hoods, offering unsolicited treats to pets you don't own, and interrupting people to let them know how they are annoying you - then maybe you have an emotional problem that needs some looking into.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Revillug @1.2.1    2 years ago

Oh! So HE was the one with the treats. My apologies, I got that mixed up

Revillug
Freshman Participates
1.2.3  seeder  Revillug  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2.2    2 years ago

I do think the Chrtistian Cooper's being armed with dog treats was a tad Karenish.

That doesn't mean I think Amy Cooper gets a pass for her 911 call. That was obviously over the top for all the well understood reasons.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
1.3  pat wilson  replied to  Revillug @1    2 years ago
OTOH, who walks around with dog treats in their pockets so they can offer them to other people's dogs that are not on leashes?

People who regularly walk through parks and get to know others who regularly walk their dogs. I've seen that many times. This is commonplace in the parks where I walk.

The people who carry treats don't normally offer them to strangers' dogs.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     2 years ago

Leashes, what leashes, I don't need no damn leashes.

Revillug
Freshman Participates
2.1  seeder  Revillug  replied to  Kavika @2    2 years ago

I think at that time of day in Central Park she would have been allowed to have her dog off the leash some 50 feet or 50 yards away from where she was. What she said at the time was that she felt that designated area was dangerous because it had too many active cars.