╌>

Sacheen Littlefeather pretended to be Native American: sisters

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  revillug  •  2 years ago  •  43 comments

By:   New York Daily News

Sacheen Littlefeather pretended to be Native American: sisters
Sacheen Littlefeather, the late actress and activist who claimed to be of White Mountain Apache heritage and at the 1973 Academy Awards criticized Hollywood's treatment of Native Americans while refusing the best actor Oscar on behalf of Marlon Brando after his win for "The Godfather," in fact spent decades lying about her Native American ancestry, her sisters told The San Francisco Chronicle.

“It’s a lie,” sibling Trudy Orlandi told Native American writer and activist Jacqueline Keeler, explaining that their California-born father’s family was in fact Mexican — and Littlefeather’s real name was Maria Louise Cruz.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

And the award for decades-long appropriation goes to…

Sacheen Littlefeather, the late actress and activist who claimed to be of White Mountain Apache heritage and at the 1973 Academy Awards criticized Hollywood's treatment of Native Americans while refusing the best actor Oscar on behalf of Marlon Brando after his win for "The Godfather," in fact spent decades lying about her Native American ancestry, her sisters told The San Francisco Chronicle.

"It's a lie," sibling Trudy Orlandi told Native American writer and activist Jacqueline Keeler, explaining that their California-born father's family was in fact Mexican — and Littlefeather's real name was Maria Louise Cruz.

Marlon Brando shocked the Academy Awards when he refused his Oscar for mobster classic "The Godfather." Instead, he sent indigenous activist Sacheen Littlefeather to refuse the award and give her a platform to protest the treatment of Native Americans in Hollywood, and more importantly, bring attention to the standoff between federal agents and Native Americans at Wounded Knee that was under a media blackout. (NBC)

"It is a fraud," echoed sister Rosalind Cruz. "It's disgusting to the heritage of the tribal people. And it's just … insulting to my parents."

As far as Orlandi and Cruz are aware, the family has no tribal identity nor Native American or American Indian ancestry and describe their paternal side as "Spanish."

Activist and actress Sacheen Littlefeather takes part in a panel discussion on the PBS special "Reel Injun" at the PBS Television Critics Association summer press tour in Beverly Hills, Calif., Thursday, Aug. 5, 2010. (Chris Pizzello/AP)

Regarding Littlefeather's potential motive, Orlandi said the "The Trial of Billy Jack" actress found it "more prestigious to be an American Indian than it was to be Hispanic."

"She didn't like being Mexican. So, yes, it was better for her that way to play someone else," she explained.

Littlefeather was on the list of "Pretendians," those who falsely adopted or were suspected of having falsely adopted "Native identities for personal gain" Keeler began compiling early last year.

Sacheen Littlefeather appears at the Academy Awards ceremony to announce that Marlon Brando was declining his Oscar as best actor for his role in "The Godfather," on March 27, 1973. (Associated Press/AP)

In addition to her ancestry — which she later claimed included Yaqui heritage — Littlefeather's alleged lies also included those about her father's abuse, the family living in poverty without so much as a toilet, and the Navajo Nation supposedly ascribing her "Indian" name.

"My father was deaf and he had lost his hearing at 9 years old through meningitis," Cruz said. "He was born into poverty. His father, George Cruz, was an alcoholic who was violent and used to beat him. … My sister Sacheen took what happened to him."

Orlandi noted that the siblings' grandfather indeed "was the alcoholic. My dad never drank. My dad never smoked."

The sisters believe Littlefeather, who they called "Deb," got her "Indian" name from the Sacheen Ribbon Co., which made the thread they used to make clothes as children.

Littlefeather was 75 when she died in early October, just months after the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences issued an apology for the treatment she received for refusing Brando's Oscar for him. She was roundly booed during her speech and claimed to have been blacklisted by Hollywood.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Revillug
Freshman Participates
1  seeder  Revillug    2 years ago

I honestly wish that I did not learn this today.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2  Sean Treacy    2 years ago

actress found it "more prestigious to be an American Indian than it was to be Hispanic."

Oppression chic isn't a new phenomena.

Revillug
Freshman Participates
3  seeder  Revillug    2 years ago

Sometimes our world is moved along by the words and deeds of people who are frauds but imagine themselves with a role in history that they ultimately end up fulfilling.

Thomas Jefferson said, "all men are created equal," yet he owned slaves that he did not treat or regard as equals. In the very same Declaration of Independence he actually blamed England for forcing a system of slavery upon the American colonies. Puh-lease. He fathered children with a slave who had no choice in the matter. George Washington freed his slaves upon his death. Jefferson did not.

But we would not be the nation we are today without the founding principles enumerated in the Declaration of Independence by Thomas Jefferson.

It seems that Sacheen Littlefeather was not native American and had no reason to believe she was. On the other hand she was a dedicated activist. The racism she was subjected to in her profession is not mitigated by the fact that she was not of the race Hollywood thought she was.

We live in a world where there are facts and there are truths. Sometimes the facts and the truths are not the same. Facts are things that encyclopedias and almanacs accumulate.

Truths are things that are known to the heart.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
4  1stwarrior    2 years ago

Lemme se - 2022 minus 1973 equals 49 - 49 years ago, little sissy had no issues but now she needs attention???

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1  Texan1211  replied to  1stwarrior @4    2 years ago

Is truth limited by time constraints?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2  Texan1211  replied to  1stwarrior @4    2 years ago
Lemme se - 2022 minus 1973 equals 49 - 49 years ago, little sissy had no issues but now she needs attention???

Seems like you might have had an issue with her appropriating Indian culture.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
4.2.1  1stwarrior  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2    2 years ago

She didn't "appropriate" Indian culture - she invented her own version.

Will admit that getting Marlon to vouch for her and getting on national TV to "speak for him" was pretty ballsy.

But - she's been gone - the story is done - only writers will gain for going any further.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.2  Texan1211  replied to  1stwarrior @4.2.1    2 years ago
She didn't "appropriate" Indian culture - she invented her own version.

Now that is certainly a unique spin on things!

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
4.2.3  1stwarrior  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2.2    2 years ago

If you wanna see some "Wannabees", go to any pow wow.  Others on NT may support my comment, but there are many there who would have you think/believe they were on the shores when the Mayflower landed.

My biggest question is why?  Why do folks want others to think that they have Native American blood?  Throughout my life, I have been ridiculed, lambasted, beat, pushed to the back of a bus, denied the ability to ride a bus because, in the South were I spent many years, I was called a "Red N*****r" - told to go back where I came from, etc.  I know of many other Native Americans who suffered the same - and more - who are on NT.

It ain't pretty what we go/have gone through and there should be absolutely no reason for us to be treated as though we are the pariah in/on our own lands that our families and ancestors lived on for over 20,000 years - years before dominant society decided to conquer and rule the world through racism/hate/anger.

Liz Warren and Ward Churchill will forever stain my memories as folk who had no other desire than to take from us through impersonation.

Yes, she did wrong but my hesitation is, for the most part, she is gone and I hope others learn from her falseness.  

We shall see.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.2.4  devangelical  replied to  1stwarrior @4.2.3    2 years ago

[deleted]

shona1
PhD Quiet
4.2.5  shona1  replied to  1stwarrior @4.2.3    2 years ago

Morning 1st...as a white Caucasian I cannot imagine what any First Nations people go through and still do... anywhere around the world.

I have nothing but respect for anyone, don't care what colour they are or where they are from..(but at the moment the Russians are pushing it)..

Why people lay claim to something that is not true, I can't answer that.

Is it to seek publicity, fame, attention seeking, gain sympathy who knows...

All I know if our paths ever crossed I would respect you the same as anyone else..a fellow human who has every right to walk this earth and be free from any form of discrimination.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.2.6  Ender  replied to  shona1 @4.2.5    2 years ago

It is all kinda funny to me. I couldn't pass for anything other than what I am, white, blonde hair and blue eyes.

I think I am actually a minority.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4.2.7  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  devangelical @4.2.4    2 years ago
. but you'll still flip all those R levers in november.

Flip levers?  When is the last time that you voted devangelical?

shona1
PhD Quiet
4.2.8  shona1  replied to  Ender @4.2.6    2 years ago

Arvo ender....yes it is the same here..Anglo Saxon blood lines to the hilt...we might be rellies.

I can't even claim to be of convict heritage which was extremely disappointing...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.9  Texan1211  replied to  1stwarrior @4.2.3    2 years ago
If you wanna see some "Wannabees", go to any pow wow.

Nope, no desire to.

Almost everywhere in the world today, people are occupying lands previously occupied by others. I don't see personally why people get so caught up in that, but to each their own.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.2.10  Ender  replied to  shona1 @4.2.8    2 years ago
which was extremely disappointing

Haha

What always got me, about me, is I am all blonde all except (not to be too graphic) my pubic hair. My armpit hair is blonde as well as the hair on my arms and legs. That is the only place that was darker (not as dark now).

I guess I was not complete....jrSmiley_100_smiley_image.jpg

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.2.11  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ender @4.2.6    2 years ago

White,  blond hair and blue eyes?  You could be Boris Johnson.  LOL

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
4.2.12  1stwarrior  replied to  devangelical @4.2.4    2 years ago

in the South were I spent many years

Yeah - your reading comprehension still sux - don't see anything 'bout AZ - right?

Am an Independent - you still haven't learned the difference, but you still need to open mouth, insert foot to get some attention??

squiggy
Junior Silent
4.2.13  squiggy  replied to  Ender @4.2.10    2 years ago

I’m speechless.

Revillug
Freshman Participates
4.3  seeder  Revillug  replied to  1stwarrior @4    2 years ago

The facts in this story were dug up by a journalist who sought out the family as opposed to the family seeking out the journalist.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.3.1  Texan1211  replied to  Revillug @4.3    2 years ago
The facts in this story were dug up by a journalist who sought out the family as opposed to the family seeking out the journalist.

True. The sister wasn't out for publicity, unlike Sacheen Littlefeather.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4.3.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Revillug @4.3    2 years ago
In one of her final interviews, Littlefeather told The Chronicle that she took the stage at the Oscars because “I spoke my heart, not for me, myself, as an Indian woman but for we and us, for all Indian people … I had to speak the truth. Whether or not it was accepted, it had to be spoken on behalf of Native people.”

The sisters reached out to tell me their story because, for some time, I have been compiling a public list of alleged “Pretendians” — non-Native people who I or other Native American people suspect or proved to have manufactured their Native identities for personal gain. Littlefeather was among them. 

I put the list together in January 2021, after the New York Times   published an opinion article by Claudia Lawrence   to mark the nomination of Rep. Deb Haaland, D-N.M., a Laguna Pueblo tribal member, to be secretary of the interior. Lawrence falsely claimed her late husband’s tribal identity and stole a historical moment for Native women by mimicking a Native woman’s perspective as she talked down to the interior secretary in the country’s paper of record. I found this infuriating and began compiling a list that generations of Native people have been building since the 1960s to unmask ethnic frauds.

Littlefeather caught my eye.

Revillug
Freshman Participates
4.3.3  seeder  Revillug  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4.3.2    2 years ago
Littlefeather was among them. 

So Littlefeather was already on this list of Pretendians when the Oscars apologized to her?

This is why I try to ignore the Oscars and the Nobel Prizes. 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5  Drinker of the Wry    2 years ago

“Brando should have attended the event and said whatever he wanted to say about Native Americans instead of send an unknown young lady.

There is some irony now know the end of the story, an actor sent an actor who dressed the part and delivered the script in character.

Apparently, she lived her whole adult life in character.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1  Texan1211  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5    2 years ago
Apparently, she lived her whole adult life in character.

Perhaps she inspired Rachel Dolezal?

And maybe even Lizzie Warren?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.1.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1    2 years ago
And maybe even Lizzie Warren?

Lizzie doesn't have the necessary skills to depict a Native character.  No self-respecting Native cook would be part of making, "Pow Wow Chow: A Collection of Recipes from Families of the Five Civilized Tribes : Cherokee, Chickasaw, Choctaw, Creek and Seminole' with traditional Cherokee mainstays like "Cold Omelets w/Crab Meat or Herbed Tomatoes" and "Crab with Tomato Mayonnaise Dressing" or " Oriental Beef Stir-Fry".  Today that recipe has been renamed, Asian Beef Stir-Fry.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.1.1    2 years ago
Lizzie doesn't have the necessary skills to depict a Native character. 

That didn't stop her from trying, though!

Revillug
Freshman Participates
5.1.3  seeder  Revillug  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.1.1    2 years ago
Pow Wow Chow: A Collection of Recipes from Families of the Five Civilized Tribes : Cherokee, Chickasaw, Choctaw, Creek and Seminole' with traditional Cherokee mainstays like "Cold Omelets w/Crab Meat or Herbed Tomatoes

Dana Milbank had a takedown of Elizabeth Warren, but only up to a point.

He pointed out the ridiculous recipes she submitted to that cookbook and the way, in her own handwriting, she identified as "American Indian" on her Texas Bar registration .

She knew what she was doing and she did it to gain certain advantages.

At the end of the takedown, Dana Milbank said her poor judgment disqualified her from being our president but that we should not go so far as to seek to end her career as a Senator.

I agreed with his opinion then and still do.

Every last one of our politicians is a bit of a pathologically lying creep. It's more important to judge them by what they have accomplished than their line of BS.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.1.4  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Revillug @5.1.3    2 years ago
but that we should not go so far as to seek to end her career as a Senator.

I'm not sure who the "we" Dana was talking about but I'm good with whomever the voters in Massachusetts select.  More shocking to me isn't that she promoted herself as Native American out of self interest, but apparently she talf Sunday School in the past, brainwashed impressionable little captive kids.

Revillug
Freshman Participates
5.1.5  seeder  Revillug  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.1.4    2 years ago
I'm not sure who the "we" Dana was talking about

I was paraphrasing..

I consider myself part of Dana Milbank's "we" when I agree with him, which is quite often.

brainwashed impressionable little captive kids.

If you are a little kid, you are captive to someone's attempt to brainwash you.

Anybody who says there is not an indoctrination program going on with kids in America is lying. The thing is, we don't have one indoctrination program, we have several competing ones.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
6  Dismayed Patriot    2 years ago

A few interesting facts about the “deep” lineage of Mexicans, going back on paternal and maternal lines over thousands of years using mtDNA and yDNA tests:

• 85-90% of Mexicans have maternal lineage (mitochondrial DNA) showing Native American roots
  • 65% of Mexicans have paternal lineage (going back thousands of years) with roots in Europe, as demonstrated by yDNA tests

Mexican Native American DNA? - Who are You Made Of?

As far as Orlandi and Cruz are aware, the family has no tribal identity nor Native American or American Indian ancestry and describe their paternal side as "Spanish."

So basically, the siblings are saying they aren't "aware" of any Native American heritage but consider themselves Mexican and describe their paternal ancestry as Spanish. Considering that 85-90% of Mexicans have a maternal lineage showing Native American roots I'd say there's a good chance Sacheen Littlefeather does have Native American roots, but likely not the roots she believed or expressed that she had.

Sadly, this story will no doubt play into the narratives of those desperate to show the struggles for equal rights of minorities to be 'fraudulent' or something to be doubted so they don't have to feel guilty having no empathy for those who have truly struggled under hundreds of years of oppression.

The fact is regardless of her heritage, the point she made at the Oscars was valid. Hollywood had been portraying Native Americans as a racist stereotype since cinema was first invented. What she did at the Oscars did bring attention to an injustice.

Also, this seed makes it seem like her birth name was some kind of secret:

"It's a lie," sibling Trudy Orlandi told Native American writer and activist Jacqueline Keeler, explaining that their California-born father's family was in fact Mexican — and Littlefeather's real name was Maria Louise Cruz.

Of course, the fact is she never hid her birth name.

Born Marie Louise Cruz on Nov. 14, 1946 in Salinas, Calif., Littlefeather later changed her name in her 20s as she explored her Native American heritage and became an activist. On March 27, 1973, she provided one of the most dramatic moments in Oscar history. As Brando's name was read for winning best actor for his role in The Godfather , Littlefeather took to the stage wearing moccasins and a buckskin dress to politely offer Brando's regrets for refusing the award because of Hollywood's treatment and portrayal of Native Americans.

Sacheen Littlefeather, who declined Brando's Oscar, dies at 75 : NPR

Also, those 'booing' at the Oscars thought they were 'booing' a Native American actress, so whether or not she does or does not have Native American ancestry really make no difference as to the racism displayed that day and the apology from the Acadamy was still warranted.

Kavika
Professor Principal
7  Kavika     2 years ago

The sister has had 50 years to tell this story. Now a month after she dies it comes out.

In the past she said her name was Cruz, that is not a surprise.

She claimed to be Apache and Yaqui on her father's side, which is certainly possible since both of those tribes live in Mexico as well as the US..

To my knowledge, the White Mountain Apache never disputed her claim.

If her father is Mexican then the chances are that he is Mestizo or some other combo and all of them have indigenous blood. Only 10% of Mexicans are white. I posted an article on this and how indigenous are treated in Mexico. 

Racial demographics of Mexico.  Mestizo (Amerindian-Spanish) 62%, predominantly Amerindian 21%, Amerindian 7%, other 10% (mostly European) 

All that said I don't know what the story is with her, but I have some hesitation in declaring her a fraud. Her speech at the Oscars pretty much ended her career. Indigenous or not she was treated like shit and the booing at the Oscars was only the beginning. 

As for Brando, he was a lifelong advocate for Indians and spent a few days in jail supporting the tribes in the ''Fish Wars'' in the PNW.

1973 was a huge year if you were indigenous, ''The Siege at Wounded Knee'' was taking place and that was why Brando refused the Oscar and Littlefeather made the speech. 

There is a long list of people declaring that they are Indians that are actually wannabes, and some of them made a very good living being imposters. 

The Indian that did the commercials for the environment in the 70s, Iron Eyes Cody was no Indian he was 100% Italian his name was Espera Oscar de Corti.

Keeler and her imposter list are highly controversial in the indigenous community. A parody website  lists her and like-minded natives as “Karendians.”

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
7.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Kavika @7    2 years ago
The sister has had 50 years to tell this story. Now a month after she dies it comes out.

Sisters, didn't both accuse her of fraud?

To my knowledge, the White Mountain Apache never disputed her claim.

Did they ever support her claim?

White Mountain Apache tribal officials I spoke with told me they found no record of either Littlefeather or her family members, living or dead, being enrolled in the White Mountain Apache. Her speech at the Oscars pretty much ended her career. 

Wasn't it Brando's script?

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Drinker of the Wry @7.1    2 years ago

If you know the answer you should post it.

Not to my knowledge, 

Wasn't it Brando's script?

You should read your own link. 

This is my comment in my above post.

Keeler and her imposter list are highly controversial in the indigenous community. A parody website  lists her and like-minded natives as “Karendians.”

Best you address the article instead of wasting time with inane questions.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
7.1.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Kavika @7.1.1    2 years ago
If you know the answer you should post it.

I don't know the answer, I only know what I read in the SF Chronicle.  I'll post that again.  

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
7.1.3  1stwarrior  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @7.1    2 years ago

50 years AFTER it happened and ONLY after she passed on.

They only verified that she was not a member of the Tribe, not that she wasn't White Mountain Apache.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
7.1.4  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  1stwarrior @7.1.3    2 years ago
50 years AFTER it happened

50 years, didn't her NA impersonation continue until her death last month?

They only verified that she was not a member of the Tribe, not that she wasn't White Mountain Apache.

So that's a no, they never supported her claim.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
7.1.5  1stwarrior  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @7.1.4    2 years ago

Yes it did, and the "sisters" NEVER said a word about it during that 50 years.  So, were they supporting her or just being complacent?

She never claimed to be a "Tribal Member" - her claim was that she had White Mountain Apache bloodlines - huge difference.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
7.1.6  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  1stwarrior @7.1.5    2 years ago
So, were they supporting her or just being complacent?

Maybe they didn't want to embarrass her.  Do you think these sisters are ashamed of their NA heritage?  

her claim was that she had White Mountain Apache bloodlines - huge difference.

Yes, she claimed Apache and Pascua Yaqui heritage, did Marie Louise Cruz also claim Hispanic heritage?

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
7.2  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Kavika @7    2 years ago
“Karendians.”

now THATS gonna take a few drinks to get that mental picture to go away , native american "karens "....the irish side just shouted  "jaysus cryst "....

pat wilson
Professor Participates
7.3  pat wilson  replied to  Kavika @7    2 years ago

The other question, for me is why is there no mention of their mother's ancestry, They discuss their father's ancestry" and his history.

"My father was deaf and he had lost his hearing at 9 years old through meningitis," Cruz said. "He was born into poverty. His father, George Cruz, was an alcoholic who was violent and used to beat him."

What about their mother ?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
7.3.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  pat wilson @7.3    2 years ago
What about their mother ?

Littlefea ther s sisters both said in separate interviews that they have no known Native American/American Indian ancestry. They identified as  Spanish” on their father s side and insisted their family had no claims to a tribal identity.

Revillug
Freshman Participates
7.4  seeder  Revillug  replied to  Kavika @7    2 years ago

It's not really that surprising.

The sisters never hatched a plan to pass themselves off as indigenous but they cared too much for their sister to throw her under the bus while she was alive.

If it is true that there was no reason for Sacheen Littlefeather to view herself as indigenous then her ..scam.. (drawing a blank for a better word) was something her sisters were involuntarily drawn into. They spent 50 years committing a lie of omission to protect her.

The only reason I am in any way up to speed on this story is because it got talked about here on Newstalkers. And I simply stumbled up this latest turn when I was perusing my hometown newspaper.

Relating it to myself, I have a Scottish last name even though I am something like 98 percent Irish. At some point during my childhood we sent away for fabric in the pattern of our supposed Scottish klan. There was a sewing machine in the house and there were bathrobes and vests made from this fabric. I think even the cat got a tartan vest.

It would be completely inappropriate for me to put myself forward as some sort of representative of the Scottish American community. (Oh, how we have suffered in America!)

The more I process this news story the more it resembles Elizabeth Warren and her appropriation stunt.