╌>

The People's House

Category:  Op/Ed

By:  vic-eldred  •  last year  •  52 comments

The People's House
“We’ll pass the rules package tomorrow, and we’ll get moving on doing what the American people elected us to do,” said Rep. Jim Jordan. “In a two-year time span, we have seen a border that is no longer a border. We have seen a military that can’t meet its recruitment goals. We’ve seen terrible energy policy, terrible education policy…We’re going to unite around fixing those problems.”

After a week of settling differences the new House leadership will get down to work and this week will see bills to cut IRS funding, bills to restrict the use of the national strategic petroleum reserve, the granting of additional powers to Homeland Security to expel illegal migrants and the beginings of an investigation into China's US strategy. Oversight investigations into the administration and politicized federal agencies are also on the agenda.

Today will feature a long needed vote on House Rules. Changes are expected to the operations of the Office of Congressional Ethics, which has been a place were certain complaints went only to never again see the light of day. Any legislation to come out of the House may not be passed by a democrat controlled Senate, but Senators will be forced to vote on it and the House bills can be set aside for the day when the GOP regains the Senate. In the meantime the House will still control the purse and has the ability to defund weaponized agencies like the FBI.

Key members of the new Majority are opposed to raising the debt ceiling. That battle involves all the massive spending that the Biden administration incured over the past two years. All of it based on debt. The lesson is going to be don't spend what you don't have and don't look for the House to help bail you out.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  author  Vic Eldred    last year

In the meantime Joe Biden has all but conceded trying to work with the new House and is off campaigning for his 2024 election bid. Today he will visit Mexico and revisit the trade agreement forged by President Trump involving Mexico and Canada.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2  Jasper2529    last year
In the meantime the House will still control the purse and has the ability to defund weaponized agencies like the FBI.

And DoJ.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jasper2529 @2    last year
And DoJ.

It was the radical DOJ officials who caused the problem with FBI leadership.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1    last year

Yes. The 118th People's House has a lot to investigate and clean up. I hope they have enough bleach.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.2  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.1.1    last year

All these votes are expected at 5:PM tonight. That should make a few headlines tomorrow.

BTW, Adam Schiff referred to an agreement to allow greater democratic deliberation as an invitation for "chaos."

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.1.4  Jasper2529  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.2    last year
BTW, Adam Schiff referred to an agreement to allow greater democratic deliberation as an invitation for "chaos."

The word "chaos" was the Dems' lock-step buzz word on left-wing Sunday talk shows. Hakeem Jeffries' interview was the worst, and I didn't think he could have possibly one-upped himself after the divisive, racist, hateful "MAGA Republicans" speech he gave before handing over the gavel to McCarthy.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.5  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.1.4    last year

That little speech was classless, but what do you expect from someone who felt the need to lie about cops being killed on Jan 6th.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
2.1.6  pat wilson  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.1.1    last year

They used it all cleaning the urine and excrement from the halls of the Capitol 1/7/2021.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.7  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  pat wilson @2.1.6    last year

We'll have to potty-train Pelosi

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.8  devangelical  replied to  pat wilson @2.1.6    last year
cleaning the urine and excrement from the halls of the Capitol 1/7/2021.

meh, it'll probably be brains next time... /s

I wonder what the over/under is on when the first motion to vacate the chair by the insurrectionist caucus happens.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.1.9  Sean Treacy  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.1.4    last year
. Hakeem Jeffries' interview was the worst, and I didn't think he could have possibly one-upped himself after the divisive, racist, hateful

So on the nose for the Democrats to nominate an election denier after turning "election denying" into the greatest crime known to mankind following 2020.  Sort of like how they nominated the Democrat most famous for lying, Joe Biden, after obsessing about a President lying during the Trump years.  If they start attacking Republicans as being senile crazy people, you know Biden's got a lock on 2024. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.1.10  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.1.9    last year

This is what hypocrisy looks like.  

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.1.11  Jasper2529  replied to  pat wilson @2.1.6    last year
They used it all cleaning the urine and excrement from the halls of the Capitol 1/7/2021.

I wouldn't know. I was going to ask afrayednot about that after I received a PN about his "whitewashing" reply to my comment  2.1.1 but somehow, his comment was deleted even though I have a PN record of his comment being posted at 11:37:17AM. 

dennissmith
Freshman Silent
2.1.12  dennissmith  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.5    last year

Classless was also what Pelosi did by tearing up Trump's state of the union speech

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.13  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  dennissmith @2.1.12    last year

So much for civility.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3  author  Vic Eldred    last year

McCarthy deal creates special investigative panels for COVID, weaponization of FBI

ud6JNVbF?format=jpg&name=small

https://justthenews.com/government/congress/monmccarthy-deal-creates-special-investigative-panels-covid-weaponization-fbi?utm_source=sf&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=twjs

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @3    last year
“McCarthy has said that he's creating this Church Committee that's going to investigate the FBI and the DOJ and all these things that were going on,” Steube said. “And it is illegal for a person in government to use their position to thwart [speech] for political purposes. And so we're gonna get to the bottom of that.

Should somebody tell Schiff?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3.1    last year

Schiff will only be a spectator for the next 2 years.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.1.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.1    last year

Unless he's forced out for illegal activity.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.3  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3.1.2    last year

Perjury comes to mind.  Does that ever get enforced in congress?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.1.4  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.3    last year

I think it's enforced based on party. 

If they have a D associated with their name, then no its not enforced.  I think it's actually encouraged.

If they have an R associated with their name, then yes, it's enforced and the left will demand investigation after investigation into what every they pull from their 4th POC.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.5  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3.1.4    last year

Kind of like how certain protestors were punished with the maximum punishments and another more violent group was not?

Kind of like how certain officials were convicted & punished and others were not?

Kind of like how some presidents keep documents without fanfare and one cannot?

You know what, I think you have something there!

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.1.6  Sean Treacy  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1.5    last year
like how certain protestors were punished with the maximum punishments and another more violent group was not?

Absolutely.  Throw a Molotov Cocktail at a New York City Cop Car and the Biden DOJ will intervene to ensure the defendants are treated as leniently as possible.

Trespass and the same DOJ  will destroy  the trespassers life. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.1.7  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.1.6    last year
Throw a Molotov Cocktail at a New York City Cop Car and the Biden DOJ will intervene to ensure the defendants are treated as leniently as possible

And the VP will ask people to donate to pay the bail.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.8  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.1.6    last year

Like when Kamala Harris voiced support for a bail fund for the 2020 protestors and 5 leftist "fact checkers" flooded the internet by declaring "she didn't put any money into it."

Ya, it is kind of a dirty game.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
4  Nerm_L    last year

You know, Democrats were voting for speaker, too.  This wasn't only a Republican show.

The big fiscal fights are receiving a lot of attention.  But some of the interesting things on the agenda will be finding out who opposes term limits, who opposes restrictions on stock trading, who opposes completely repealing SALT deductions.  McCarthy no longer has sufficient power to keep those poison bills off the floor.  McCarthy may try to focus attention on and revive the neo-liberal Republican brand but the make-up of the party has changed.  What seems most odd about the situation is that this isn't about 'The Party' any longer.  The speaker fight demonstrated that Party Unity just ain't that big a priority any longer.

The next two years may well reshape the Republican Party and will likely build a foundation for the 2024 Presidential election.  Democrats warming their thumbs may be sucking those thumbs before this is over.  The people's House may now be required to do the people's business which will be a poison pill for Democrats.  Just think of any Representative being able to force a floor vote on any issue.  No doubt Democrats will call that chaos but isn't that how democracy is supposed to work?

bccrane
Freshman Silent
4.1  bccrane  replied to  Nerm_L @4    last year
Democrats were voting for speaker, too.

Democrats blew it, they could've blocked and dealt a serious blow to the Freedom Caucus if after the first day several switched and voted for McCarthy instead and make him the speaker immediately without all the negotiations and concessions, but being true partisans that they are decided that the show was good enough for them without thinking what they could've avoided by making McCarthy speaker sooner.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  bccrane @4.1    last year

I'm glad to hear somebody say it!

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
4.1.2  Nerm_L  replied to  bccrane @4.1    last year
Democrats blew it, they could've blocked and dealt a serious blow to the Freedom Caucus if after the first day several switched and voted for McCarthy instead and make him the speaker immediately without all the negotiations and concessions, but being true partisans that they are decided that the show was good enough for them without thinking what they could've avoided by making McCarthy speaker sooner.

What should we expect from Democrats?

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
4.1.3  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  bccrane @4.1    last year

wouldnt that have been considered "crossover voting"?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.4  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @4.1.3    last year

I wish he had stayed longer. 

bccrane
Freshman Silent
4.1.5  bccrane  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @4.1.3    last year

Seems they would've thought of that since they mess with the republicans in the primaries with their "crossover voting".  If they had played it right they could've had a Boehner instead they got a Gingerich.

Hallux
PhD Principal
5  Hallux    last year

Conductorless orchestras ... the early soviets tried that for several years and now the GoP wants to repeat the silliness? How very woke of them ...

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.1  devangelical  replied to  Hallux @5    last year

... their playbook is from 1936.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  devangelical @5.1    last year

Today is a new day, as you'll soon find out.

Hallux
PhD Principal
5.1.2  Hallux  replied to  devangelical @5.1    last year

Several more years of this and the Republican Party will be further left than the Democrats ever dreamed of being. One of the 'fun' things about falling into a pit is it sets the pendulum into motion ... woosh ... woosh ... woosh and the silly amongst them have been sharpening the blade. Kudos to Newt! /S

Hallux
PhD Principal
5.1.3  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.1    last year

I thought by now you would have learned not to make predictions.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.1.4  Sean Treacy  replied to  Hallux @5.1.2    last year

So you define the" left" as how the House operated pre Pelosi, and Pelosi as the right? 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.5  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @5.1.3    last year
predictions.

You mean like when I predicted that Trump didn't collude with Russia and the day would come when the Muller team would have to chuck it?

Ya, that kind of stands out.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
5.1.6  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Hallux @5.1.2    last year
Several more years of this and the Republican Party will be further left than the Democrats ever dreamed of being.

which only leaves the left to go even further to the batshit left .....

Hallux
PhD Principal
5.1.7  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.5    last year

More along the lines of your big red wave predictions and tag on Putin's current string of 'successes'. Those kinda stand out.

As to whether or not Trump colluded, that question remains to be answered convincingly. Everyone including I or you read what we wanted to in Mueller's report.

Hallux
PhD Principal
5.1.8  Hallux  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @5.1.6    last year

It may lead a handful to go further left but the bulk see the center as a cornucopia of votes. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.9  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @5.1.7    last year
More along the lines of your big red wave predictions

I had a lot of company on that from both sides of the aisle.

and tag on Putin's current string of 'successes'.

I can be forgiven for that. He took the Crimea with little problem under Obama. What do you suppose happened to the Russian Army between the Crimea and the Ukraine?  Could it be that US military intelligence & weapons systems intervened?

As to whether or not Trump colluded, that question remains to be answered convincingly.

It has been more than answered. The only question is why people haven't gone to jail.

Hallux
PhD Principal
5.1.10  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.9    last year
The only question is why people haven't gone to jail.

Several did and received Donald's get out of jail free cards. As to those you think should go to jail, ask your previous avatar.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
5.1.11  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Mark in Wyoming @5.1.6    last year

I think i may have explained how i view  the political "swing" before , maybe not . 

i dont view it as a linear optic , but more of a circle or clock face , with 12 being the most authoritarian and dictatorial , and 6 being the middle ground , and usually i see things swinging between the 4:30 and 7 :30 areas to the face , personally i think the last few years we have seen that min hand ( the pendulum ) swing between the 4 and 8 position .

i do think you are correct when you say that the cornucopia of votes are clustered in the center ( 6 position) , but which side of the 6 they are can always be debated .

i like my optic of a circle because it shows that both sides can swing so far in either direction that they both can become that which , become over controlling authoritarian and dictatorial .

with a linear optic one eventually falls off the scale , with a circle they simply become that which they supposedly oppose .

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.12  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @5.1.10    last year

I don't have to ask. The FBI man I know of who went to jail was John Connolly.  We just had one confess to fixing a FISA Warrant application. He got zero jail time.

Remember how we heard right here about all the iron clad regulations involved in a FISA Warrant request?

That was way back when the gang was trying to tell us that it couldn't happen.

Hallux
PhD Principal
5.1.13  Hallux  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @5.1.11    last year

Every clock is 'correct' twice a day which led armed forces to adopt 0:00 to 24:00. Both have their limitations leading me to adopt fluid wave images over those of a mechanical circle condemned to souless repetition.

Hallux
PhD Principal
5.1.14  Hallux  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1.4    last year

Both a far too simplistic, no to either.

Hallux
PhD Principal
5.1.15  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.12    last year

I believe FISA was and still is run by 'RINO' Roberts, bitch at him.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.16  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Hallux @5.1.15    last year

Oh the Court is to blame?

What about those who deliberately lied on the application?

Hallux
PhD Principal
5.1.17  Hallux  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.1.16    last year

SCOTUS is currently 6-3 republican, your 'gang' won't be happy until it's a 7-2 'balanced' by DeSantis.

As to those who deliberately lied ... punish them. What should be done with those on the other side who lied? Bullshit must surely baffle your brain if all you see are angels in right field.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
7  author  Vic Eldred    last year

I don't know who that is directed to or why you have conflated the Supreme Court with the FISA Court, but you failed to make a point.