╌>

Majority of Democrats say Biden should be 2024 nominee: poll | The Hill

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  evilgenius  •  last year  •  9 comments

By:   Julia Manchester (The Hill)

Majority of Democrats say Biden should be 2024 nominee: poll | The Hill
A majority of Democratic voters say President Biden should be the party's 2024 White House nominee, according to a new Emerson College poll released on Tuesday. Fifty-eight percent of registered Democrats said Biden should be the nominee, while 42 percent said it should be someone else. "Biden has solidified his support among minority voters in…

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

by Julia Manchester - 01/24/23 6:00 AM ET
bidenjoe_110722gn12_w.jpg?w=2000&ssl=1
President Biden is seen following a rally for Maryland Democratic candidate for Governor Wes Moore at Bowie State University
in Bowie, Md., on Monday, November 7, 2022.

A majority of Democratic voters say President Biden should be the party's 2024 White House nominee, according to a new Emerson College poll released on Tuesday.

Fifty-eight percent of registered Democrats said Biden should be the nominee, while 42 percent said it should be someone else.

"Biden has solidified his support among minority voters in his party," said Spencer Kimball, the executive director of Emerson College Polling. "72 percent of Hispanic Democratic voters and 75 percent of Black Democratic voters think Biden should be the nominee in 2024, whereas 51 percent of white Democratic voters think someone else should be the Democratic nominee next year."

The same Emerson College survey showed the president's approval rating at 44 percent, while his disapproval rating is at 48 percent. His latest approval rating is an improvement from the last Emerson College survey conducted in November, which showed Biden's approval at 39 percent and his disapproval rating at 48 percent.

The findings come as Biden, 80, prepares to announce the launch of his reelection campaign. Sources told The Hill earlier this month that the president plans to make public his intentions to run for a second White House term in the coming weeks, likely next month.

Biden, however, has been on the defense in recent weeks as his administration responds to reports of multiple batches of classified documents found in his former office and home. Republicans have used the controversy to go on the offense against Biden, and Democrats say they are concerned over the revelations.

Biden trails former President Trump, who is facing his own classified documents scandal, 41 percent to 44 percent in a hypothetical 2024 rematch, according to the new Emerson College poll.

The poll also spelled good news for Trump in a hypothetical Republican presidential primary. Trump leads Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) 55 percent to 29 percent, with former Vice President Mike Pence and former U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley trailing at 6 percent and 3 percent, respectively.

Trump, who announced his 2024 campaign in November, is slated to make campaign appearances at the early voting states of New Hampshire and South Carolina on Saturday.

The Emerson College survey was conducted from Jan. 19-21 among 1,015 registered voters. Its margin of error was 3 percentage points.

Tags Joe Biden Ron DeSantis

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

evilone
Professor Guide
1  seeder  evilone    last year

Are there any moderates under the age of 65 that can win an election? The documents debacle should exclude Biden from running by popular opinion, but hey partisans are anything but logical. 

Neither Trump nor Desantis are moderate. So I won't look to the right for a worthwhile candidate. If Uncle Joe runs again I may just have to waste a vote on a 3rd party next year.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  evilone @1    last year

21 months is an eternity in politics.

evilone
Professor Guide
1.1.1  seeder  evilone  replied to  devangelical @1.1    last year

It is and I'm hoping Democrats can take 21 months and find someone Independents could get behind. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.2  Tacos!  replied to  evilone @1    last year
Are there any moderates under the age of 65 that can win an election?

I think they can still win general elections. The problem is they can’t win primaries. Primaries, these days, always seem to be a race to see who can be most extreme.

evilone
Professor Guide
1.2.1  seeder  evilone  replied to  Tacos! @1.2    last year
The problem is they can’t win primaries.

Good point! 

Primaries, these days, always seem to be a race to see who can be most extreme.

That's so true. I don't know if there is a remedy for that either. Perhaps Independents should start looking for a a moderate 3rd party? That probably won't work either.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2  Greg Jones    last year

Neither Trump nor Biden are nationally electable next time around. Dems better come up with a better candidate than old, slow Joe or DeSantis will have an easy time of it.

Biden still has a year and a half to really fuck things up worse than they are. He's proven he is fully capable of doing just that. I'm sure this poll was done before the current documents scandal

evilone
Professor Guide
2.1  seeder  evilone  replied to  Greg Jones @2    last year
Neither Trump nor Biden are nationally electable next time around.

There is more than one current poll with Trump ahead of DeSantis. We'll see them butt heads if DeSantis decides to run.

...or DeSantis will have an easy time of it.

DeSantis has been running FL as a far right polarizing figure. He will not pull enough votes from the moderate left to give him an edge. If Biden does pull the nom it would be a lot of holding of noses to vote AGAINST DeSantis or Trump.

Biden still has a year and a half to really fuck things up worse than they are. He's proven he is fully capable of doing just that.

Nothing any modern President, including Biden (or Trump), has really fucked anything up, but their chances of reelection. The documents scandal is more an indictment of the system that is supposed to oversee these things than the men themselves. I'm not saying either of them are blameless, but there are supposed to be safeguards in place so this bullshit doesn't happen, including what does and does not get a classification. It keeps getting talked about, fingers get pointed but, no one is doing anything meaningful.

Ender
Professor Principal
3  Ender    last year

I would rather the Dems put up someone else.

I really don't see any good prospects on either side to be honest.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ender @3    last year

same here