╌>

You can hate Arizona Sen. John Kavanagh, but he's right about schools and pronouns

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  thrawn-31  •  last year  •  6 comments

By:   Phil Boas

You can hate Arizona Sen. John Kavanagh, but he's right about schools and pronouns
Kavanagh’s bill isn’t an assault on transgender youth, but a defense of parents’ rights to know when public schools start the process of transitioning their child to another gender.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

I haven't read the actual bill, but if this article is an accurate summary then I do agree with it. IMO gender issues have gotten out of control. I definitely think parents should be notified if their child asks school employees to refer to them by different pronouns or names than those assigned at birth. This is not a small thing and parents need to be made aware if their kids are having these types of issues. 

I do think that gender dysmorphia is a real thing, but I also believe it is exceedingly rare, as do more and more in the medical and psychological communities. I do think one of the worst things we can do is entertain such a thing, and in some cases encourage and enable it, in kids who are either going through or have not yet hit puberty. They still have a long way to go when it comes to their physical and mental development, and IMO playing along with every little thing they feel during this tumultuous time in their lives does more harm than good. 

Additionally, I do not see the hardline the left seems to be pushing on this issue as being good for them politically in the near future. Even for a liberal like me some on the left have gone too far with the pronouns, gender identities, especially when it comes to kids. This will ultimately cost them in future election cycles.

Trump won't be around to bail the left and Democrats out forever. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Thrawn 31    last year

At some point sanity does need to prevail on this issue.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Thrawn 31 @1    last year

This is a very informative article.

Nice job finding and posting it.

I find the bill to be very interesting, and am kind of looking forward to how opponents of the bill will frame their arguments.

I would support a bill of this type in my state or in federal law.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
1.1.1  seeder  Thrawn 31  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1    last year

I voted for Hobbs of course, because she wasn’t Lake (aka Trump) but I think she is waaaay off base on this issue. Honestly I think much of the left is when it comes to this. And when trump is dead it’s gonna cost them at the ballot box.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2  Tacos!    last year

If my kid were going through something, I would want to know, and I would be pretty upset if someone kept it from me. 

I have worked hard to be a parent my kids can confide in. I won’t say they’re never nervous about coming to me with something, but we do pretty well. I’m not perfect, though, and even if I were, sometimes they can’t help but see you as just another adult.

Even if you have agood relationship with your kids, it may never have been tested by something really serious and deeply personal. Informing a parent provides that opportunity.

On the other hand, I have seen young people get disowned by their parents for coming out and that is heart breaking. There are parents in this world who are so cruel, I don’t blame kids for not trusting them. We need to find ways to watch out for them at the same time we talk about parents’ rights.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.1  seeder  Thrawn 31  replied to  Tacos! @2    last year
On the other hand, I have seen young people get disowned by their parents for coming out and that is heart breaking. There are parents in this world who are so cruel, I don’t blame kids for not trusting them. We need to find ways to watch out for them at the same time we talk about parents’ rights.

That is the bit that gives me pause. Obviously there are parents who are not as understanding or forgiving, and I do worry for the kids in those super bible homes. But still, i think the parents deserve to know if something that seriours is going on with their kids. 

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
3  SteevieGee    last year

If somebody goes to their teacher in confidence rather than their parents it could be because they are afraid of their parents.  I agree that parents and teachers should have a dialogue and share information but, to have a law requiring teachers to break this confidence over a silly thing like pronouns, seems a little over the top.  Especially while ignoring the myriad of other issues preteen and teenage kids have.