╌>

PolitiFact | Fact-checking Sarah Huckabee Sanders' Republican response to Joe Biden's 2023 State of the Union

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  last year  •  74 comments

By:   politifact

PolitiFact | Fact-checking Sarah Huckabee Sanders' Republican response to Joe Biden's 2023 State of the Union
In her response to President Joe Biden's State of the Union address, Arkansas Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders called for a n

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

In her response to President Joe Biden's State of the Union address, Arkansas Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders called for a new generation of Republican leadership and criticized Biden's record on the economy and the border.

The "dividing line in America is no longer between right or left," said Sanders, who previously served as spokesperson for former President Donald Trump.  "The choice is between normal or crazy."

Sanders, a Republican who was sworn in as governor in January and whose father previously served as Arkansas' governor, highlighted executive orders she has signed about culture issues that have become hot topics, including prohibiting critical race theory in schools.

Critical race theory is a collection of ideas, not a single doctrine, that explains why racial inequality and disparities persist long after civil rights laws and court rulings barred discrimination. Its opponents use it as a blanket term for any discussion of white privilege, and they have encouraged local school districts to forbid the teaching of anything that addresses systemic racism. Generally, the officials who say they want to ban critical race theory can't point to examples where it is being taught in K-12 schools.

Sanders also said she signed an executive order to "eliminate the use of the derogatory term Latinx in our government."

Though not widely used, Latinx is a gender-neutral term used by some journalists, businesses, local governments and universities. More broadly used terms include Latino, Latinas and Latinos. Latinas refers to females, and Latinos can refer to males or a group of both males and females.

Pew Research Center in 2020 found that the majority of Latino adults have not heard of the term Latinx and only 3% use it. Otherpollsters in 2021 also found similarly small numbers of people who preferred the term Latinx.

A national poll by Bendixen & Amandi International found 40% of Hispanic voters said they were bothered or offended by the Latinx term, while 57% said it didn't bother them.

Sanders made a veiled reference to the surveillance balloon from China that recently floated across the U.S. She said that Biden's "refusal to stand up to China" is dangerous and that he was "unwilling to defend our border, defend our skies and defend our people." U.S. fighter jets shot down the balloon off the coast of South Carolina on Feb. 4.

We fact-checked a few of Sanders' statements about the economy and the border.

"President Biden inherited the fastest economic recovery on record."

This is accurate, and it owes to the unusual nature of the recession caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

The two-month pandemic recession ranks as the shortest in U.S. history, at least since recessions were first tracked in the 1850s. The pandemic recession was also atypical because it was caused by a public health crisis rather than a financial or economic crisis.

So the economic swings, both down and up, were unprecedented in their size and speed.

The unemployment rate soared from 4.4% in March to 14.7% in April 2020, easily a modern record, because large portions of the economy shut down. But as Americans adapted to the new normal, the unemployment rate began to fall, and quickly by historical standards.

During the remainder of Trump's tenure, the unemployment rate fell by 8.4 percentage points. By comparison, no prior recession ever saw a decline of 8.4 percentage points, over any period of time.

The unemployment rate continued to fall during Biden's presidency, by roughly four additional percentage points in the first nine months of his tenure, to 4.5%. It's now more than a point lower than that.

Gross domestic product followed much the same pattern.

In the first quarter of 2020, which was partially affected by the pandemic, GDP fell by 4.6%. In the second quarter, GDP fell by an unprecedented 29.9%. But in the third quarter, GDP shot up by 35.3%, essentially erasing the decline. The subsequent quarters, one under Trump and four under Biden, ranged between 2.7% and 7%, all of which were high by recent historical standards.

It's worth noting that the first few rounds of pandemic relief funding, including expanded unemployment insurance and the Paycheck Protection Program that enabled businesses to keep paying workers, were signed by Trump but passed by overwhelmingly bipartisan majorities in Congress.

"100,000 Americans a year are now killed from drug overdoses, largely from fentanyl pouring across our southern border."

This needs additional context on how fentanyl is getting into the U.S.

Preliminary data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found more than 107,000 Americans died from drug overdoses from July 2021 to August 2022, most from fentanyl overdoses.

Mexico is the United States' primary source of illegally sourced fentanyl, per a report from the Rand Corp., a global policy think tank. It's worth noting that the vast quantity of the drug is smuggled through official ports of entry in large trucks or cars, according to the Congressional Research Service. And most fentanyl is smuggled in by U.S. citizens, the libertarian Cato Institute said.

"The Biden administration refuses to secure the border."

This ignores enforcement by border authorities, including surveillance technology.

Border security funding under Biden is comparable to funding under Trump's administration. Border Patrol staffing has remained fairly consistent despite long-term hiring and retention challenges. And immigration border laws and policies continue to be enforced under Biden's presidency.

Despite halting the building of additional miles of barriers, Biden's administration has used previously appropriated funds to repair barriers and close gaps that have become popular areas for immigrants to cross into the U.S.

Biden inherited "the most secure border in history."

There is no simple metric to determine if Biden inherited the "most secure" border. We've rated a similar Trump claim Mostly False.

Sanders did not explain what she meant by a secure border. Trump, for example, has cited the addition of barriers at the border and apprehension figures as metrics of a secure border.

But experts have said that miles of the border fence don't tell us much about the status of border security, because many migrants voluntarily turn themselves in to border officials.

Immigrant apprehensions at the southern border fluctuated during Trump's administration and were rising when Biden took office.

One of the largest drops in immigration numbers under Trump happened in March and April 2020 when the COVID-19 pandemic hit. Immigration drastically dropped worldwide during this time, as governments enacted policies limiting people's movement.

Louis Jacobson, Amy Sherman and Maria Ramirez Uribe contributed reporting.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    last year

Hey Sarah, "Thou shalt not bear false witness!"

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JBB @1    last year

Everything she said is true. Provide evidence of it being otherwise.

Nothing to see here other than projection, deflection, and denial.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2  devangelical  replied to  JBB @1    last year

barron's 4H project jumped the fence again...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @1.2    last year

Pigs will typically root under a fence and get out that way. If the fence is electrified they will figure out how to short it out and knock the fence down.

Ask me how I know all this

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
2  Drinker of the Wry    last year

Which statement was false?  

So let us stop talkin' falsely now

The hour's getting late, hey

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @2    last year

I think it's funny a propaganda "fact checker" like Pollitifact is the source.  I guess credible sources weren't available

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.1    last year
I think it's funny a propaganda "fact checker" like Pollitifact is the source.  I guess credible sources weren't available

You think we should stick with The Federalist fact checkers....HUH?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.1.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.1    last year

Where did I mention the federalist.  Feel free to link where I did.  

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.3  Ozzwald  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.1.2    last year
Where did I mention the federalist.  Feel free to link where I did.

Feel free to show me where I claimed you did. 

BTW, as I seem to have to keep explaining to certain posters here, in the English language a question mark indicates a query not a claim or statement.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
2.1.4  Right Down the Center  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.3    last year
Own it and stop playing your silly game. You arent fooling anyone.
rhe·tor·i·cal ques·tion
noun
a question asked in order to create a dramatic effect or to make a point rather than to get an answer.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.1.5  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.3    last year
Feel free to show me where I claimed you did. 

That's easy.  2.1.1.  I guess keeping up with your own comments is outside of your scope of abilities.

BTW, ...

Mere distraction for being called out on your false claims.  Nice try.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.6  Sparty On  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.1    last year

Whataboutism ..... fact checked.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.7  Ozzwald  replied to  Right Down the Center @2.1.4    last year
Own it and stop playing your silly game.

Proper English is a game to you?  You feel you can translate what anyone says to mean anything you want?

And once again, I was hoping for an answer, therefore your claim of a "rhetorical question" is nonsense.  Just because Jeremy REFUSES to answer it, does not make it rhetorical.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.8  Ozzwald  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.1.5    last year
That's easy.  2.1.1.  I guess keeping up with your own comments is outside of your scope of abilities.

Let me clarify for you.  A ? means a query, a . or ! means statement of claim.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.1.9  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.8    last year

Am I supposed to give a shit about your distraction?  I don't.  I'm still waiting on your link to where I mentioned the Federalist.  

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
2.1.11  Right Down the Center  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.7    last year
I was hoping for an answer,

72rriq.jpg

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
2.1.12  Right Down the Center  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.8    last year

Since you keep claiming you actually want a response yet claim to often have trouble getting one maybe you could learn from that and change your approach.  Instead of "You think we should stick with The Federalist fact checkers....HUH?"  maybe you could ask "Who would be an acceptable fact checker for you?".  Of course you would have to actually want an answer to do that instead of continuing to ask a question in such a way you don't get an answer.  Or just continue on with your transparent bullshit.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.13  Ozzwald  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2.1.9    last year
Am I supposed to give a shit about your distraction?

No, but if you are going to be posting on a site that uses the English language, it behooves you to have a basic understanding of the language to prevent misunderstanding from erroneous usage.

goose is back
Sophomore Guide
2.1.14  goose is back  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.8    last year
Let me clarify for you.  A?means a query, a.or!means statement of claim.

Where does ".......HUH" fit in?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.15  Ozzwald  replied to  goose is back @2.1.14    last year

Where does ".......HUH" fit in?

I suggest you find a friend that has an understanding of the English language to answer your question.  I have not the time, the inclination, or the patience to teach you English basics.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3  Trout Giggles    last year
anders also said she signed an executive order to "eliminate the use of the derogatory term Latinx in our government."

Though not widely used, Latinx is a gender-neutral term used by some journalists, businesses, local governments and universities. More broadly used terms include Latino, Latinas and Latinos. Latinas refers to females, and Latinos can refer to males or a group of both males and females.

Pew Research Center in 2020 found that the majority of Latino adults have not heard of the term Latinx and only 3% use it. Otherpollsters in 2021 also found similarly small numbers of people who preferred the term Latinx.

Is this an example of a solution in search of a problem?

Ender
Professor Principal
4  Ender    last year

No one can define what a 'secure border' actually means.

It is like some mythical term that is only used to be divisive. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Ender @4    last year
No one can define what a 'secure border' actually means.

Just like it's impossible for some to define a woman.   We've fully moved onto the words have no meaning stage of Democrats descent. 

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Ender  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1    last year

Funny, all the hatred seems to be coming from one side of the aisle. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.2  devangelical  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1    last year
Just like it's impossible for some to define a woman

funny that you would use that metaphor when we're talking about sarah huckabee sanders...

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  Ender @4.1.1    last year
unny, all the hatred seems to be coming from one side of the aisle. 

Yeah, pointing out  public statements made by progressives  is hatred. 

Obsessively posting about killing Trump supporters or rooting  for the kids of Republican politicians to die for supporting the wrong things is love. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.4  Sean Treacy  replied to  devangelical @4.1.2    last year

You should look up what the word metaphor means. 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4.1.5  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  devangelical @4.1.2    last year

Do big women intimidate you?

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.6  Ender  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.3    last year

Keep on. It is comical.

[removed]

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1.7  Sparty On  replied to  Ender @4.1.1    last year

If you really believe that, you aren’t nearly as intelligent as I thought you were.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.8  devangelical  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4.1.5    last year

no, you don't intimidate me.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4.1.9  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  devangelical @4.1.8    last year

Good, as this old man has never tried to.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.10  Ender  replied to  Sparty On @4.1.7    last year

You kinda made my point with that comment.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1.11  Sparty On  replied to  Ender @4.1.10    last year

You going to answer the question or just toss more thinly veiled insults?

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.12  devangelical  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.4    last year
You should look up what the word metaphor means.

yeah, the "just like" part of your comment really threw me...

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ender @4    last year

Kind of like "fair share" when it comes to taxes that no one can define? That kind of mythical term used to be divisive?

Ender
Professor Principal
4.2.1  Ender  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4.2    last year

Nope, kinda like giving corporations tax breaks when they don't need it then complaining about not having enough revenue.

Like having the very wealthy using loopholes and tax breaks and tricks of the trade to get a refund...

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.2.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ender @4.2.1    last year
Like having the very wealthy using loopholes and tax breaks and tricks of the trade to get a refund...

So like the ol' Jen Psaki, we circle back to the wealthy and corporations not paying their fair share.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
4.2.3  afrayedknot  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4.2.2    last year

“…we circle back to the wealthy and corporations not paying their fair share.”

Is the assertion deniable? 

Ender
Professor Principal
4.2.4  Ender  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4.2.2    last year

And I guess you think they do. There is no way a corporation would try to get out of paying something...

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4.2.5  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  afrayedknot @4.2.3    last year

Define "fair share".

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.2.6  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ender @4.2.4    last year

No different than any other person/entity in the country. Do you take all the deductions you legally can to avoid paying more? Of course you do.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.2.7  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  afrayedknot @4.2.3    last year

They pay all they are legally liable for according to tax laws. Want it different? Change the laws. But then you'll scream your butt off just like people did when the SALT ceiling was enacted.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.2.8  Ender  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4.2.6    last year

Now you sound like trump. Stop the loopholes and deductions.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4.2.9  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Ender @4.2.8    last year
Stop the loopholes and deductions.
  • Employee performance bonuses
  • Employee health insurance costs
  • Improving the Accessibility of a Business for Disabled Individuals
  • Tax Credit for Retirement Startups

as examples?

George
Junior Expert
4.2.10  George  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4.2.2    last year

I would be embarrassed if I had to rely on someone to pay my way, I guess it’s just natural for some to leech off the successful.

JBB
Professor Principal
4.2.11  seeder  JBB  replied to  George @4.2.10    last year

The way red states leech off blue states?

George
Junior Expert
4.2.12  George  replied to  JBB @4.2.11    last year

Some people don’t understand the difference between federal spending and welfare. We call them democrats.

JBB
Professor Principal
4.2.13  seeder  JBB  replied to  George @4.2.12    last year

No but that outdid yourself for lameness!

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4.2.14  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @4.2.11    last year

Blue state money doesn’t go to red states.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.2.15  Greg Jones  replied to  Ender @4.2.1    last year

So...what's your problem with corporations and individuals taking advantage of existing tax laws and regulations.

Why should anyone pay more taxes than required?

They already pay most of the taxes right now anyway.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.2.16  Greg Jones  replied to  Ender @4.2.8    last year
"Stop the loopholes and deductions."

Why?

Define loophole.

When you've lost the argument, why do you persist in spouting nonsense?

Ender
Professor Principal
4.2.17  Ender  replied to  Greg Jones @4.2.16    last year

Who said I lost anything, you?

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
4.3  Right Down the Center  replied to  Ender @4    last year

From the homeland security website.

Border Security

Protecting our borders from the illegal movement of weapons, drugs, contraband, and people, while promoting lawful entry and exit, is essential to homeland security, economic prosperity, and national sovereignty.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.3.1  Ender  replied to  Right Down the Center @4.3    last year

That still doesn't define what republicans consider secure.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
4.3.2  Nerm_L  replied to  Ender @4.3.1    last year
That still doesn't define what republicans consider secure.

What's the Democrats' definition for 'border'?  

Ender
Professor Principal
4.3.3  Ender  replied to  Nerm_L @4.3.2    last year

So still no answer...

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
4.3.4  Nerm_L  replied to  Ender @4.3.3    last year
So still no answer...

Is that supposed to be an indictment?  That would be a first.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.3.5  Greg Jones  replied to  Ender @4.3.1    last year

Slowing the rate of the invasion to pre-Biden levels, instead of making no attempt to stop it,

Ender
Professor Principal
4.3.6  Ender  replied to  Greg Jones @4.3.5    last year

So you want levels last seen during a pandemic...

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.4  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Ender @4    last year
It is like some mythical term that is only used to be divisive

You mean like "assault rifle".  People can't define it but want them banned.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.5  devangelical  replied to  Ender @4    last year
define what a 'secure border' actually means.

for most trumpsters it means a big wall with few gates, where only white people are allowed to freely pass in either direction.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
5  Nerm_L    last year

[REMOVED]

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
6  Hal A. Lujah    last year

It is a mystery why a party would maintain laser focus on priorities that have zero percent chance of causing an independent to lean toward their side.  Meanwhile, democrats focus on things that mean something to the actual lives of independents.  Keep it up though.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1  Sparty On  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @6    last year
Meanwhile, democrats focus on things that mean something

Yep like trading away their kids and grandkids future for a few baubles and trinkets today.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
6.1.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Sparty On @6.1    last year

Uhhh … ok.  Perhaps you could flesh out that nail clipping?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @6.1.1    last year

No need to.

1.)  You won’t agree with it and

B.)  You won’t have to worry about it, you’ll be dead.

3.)  Your heirs won’t mind I’m sure .....

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
6.1.3  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Sparty On @6.1.2    last year

No need to.

You have perfectly summarized the GOP philosophy on everything.  Good luck guys!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.4  Sparty On  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @6.1.3    last year
Good luck guys!

Same to you ...... you “guys” are really, really, really gonna need it.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
6.1.5  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Sparty On @6.1.4    last year

Lol.  You were one of the most obnoxiously overconfident members here saying the same thing last November, assuring us all of a massive red wave.  How’d that work out for you guys?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.6  Sparty On  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @6.1.5    last year

Aww ..... sounds like your trigger is going off again.    Meanwhile you still lost the house and are busy trying to make it feel better.

Rub some dirt on it and get back in there ......

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
6.1.7  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Sparty On @6.1.6    last year

You’re like the guy who brags about winning two dollars on his mega millions lottery ticket.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.8  Sparty On  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @6.1.7    last year

Lol .... not even close.    

The triggering of our friends on the left seems to stunt their ability to apply logic and reasoning but does appear to spawn sophomoric, petty thinking.

Fascinating!

RU4Real
Freshman Silent
7  RU4Real    last year

I still say she looks like a Sith-Mistress; Darth Prune Face.  Or Granny Goodness