╌>

Trump tops DeSantis by 15 points in Fox News poll | The Hill

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  last year  •  18 comments

By:   Julia Mueller (The Hill)

Trump tops DeSantis by 15 points in Fox News poll | The Hill
Former President Trump leads Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) by 15 points among GOP primary voters in a hypothetical 2024 matchup, new polling from Fox News shows. The survey released on Sunday found Trump, who launched his reelection campaign back in November, in the lead among potential Republican primary challengers with 43 percent. DeSantis, who…

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

by Julia Mueller - 02/27/23 7:38 AM ET AP Photo/MarAlex Brandon/Marta Lavandier

Former President Trump leads Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) by 15 points among GOP primary voters in a hypothetical 2024 matchup, new polling from Fox News shows.

The survey released on Sunday found Trump, who launched his reelection campaign back in November, in the lead among potential Republican primary challengers with 43 percent. DeSantis, who hasn't formally announced he'll run, followed with 28 percent.

The Florida governor has been seen as a top potential rival to the former president, with other recent polling indicating a face-off between the two would be close.

The Fox News poll put Trump and DeSantis at the top of a possible GOP primary pack of 15 potential contenders. Trump's former United Nations ambassador, Nikki Haley, who kicked off her 2024 campaign earlier this month, was 21 points behind DeSantis, with just 7 percent saying they'd like to see her win the GOP presidential nomination.

Haley's tied with former Vice President Mike Pence, who also earned 7 percent support. Pence hasn't said he'll run, but has hinted he could make a decision on the question this spring. Two other potential contenders, former Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) and Texas Governor Greg Abbott (R), each pulled in just 2 percent.

Narrowing down the options to just Trump and Haley, the two GOP candidates who have officially said they're in the running, 66 percent said they'd vote for Trump and 24 percent said they'd back Haley.

Though not many candidates have entered the 2024 ring with Trump, some in the party are expecting a crowded field of GOP primary contenders.

The Fox News poll surveyed 1,006 registered voters from Feb. 19-22 and has a margin of error of 4.5 percentage points for the subset of voters who said they'd more likely vote in the Republican primary than Democrat primary. The survey was conducted with Beacon Research and Shaw & Company Research.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    last year

If the gop nominates Trump Biden wins 2nd term!

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JBB @1    last year

I really, really, don't think that will happen jbb

Once DeSantis announces he's in the hunt, things will get very interesting and those numbers will very likely change dramatically.

Trump can't help being vile and mean spirited and the likely voters will quickly tire of his shitty shtick.

DeSantis did very well on his talk with Levin last night.

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    last year

Because of the winner takes all policy in most gop primaries Trump must only win about 35% of gop primarily votes to secure the gop nomination if there are three or more gop candidates running. Trump's base of support among gop primarily voters is still well over that 35% threshold, and there is no evidence of that changing!

evilone
Professor Guide
1.1.2  evilone  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    last year

Good luck? No matter who wins the Republican nom they will have an uphill battle for election. On policy what differentiates DeSantis from Trump? The MAGA populist platform has already been rejected by most voters in the mid-terms AND energized Democrat turn out. Even the recent Feb primaries/special elections show very high Democrat turnout. I won't bet on how that plays out longer term, but it doesn't look at present to turn out well for the current crop of Republicans. 

Republican National Committee Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel said Sunday that she expects 2024 GOP presidential contenders will have to sign a pledge to back the party’s ultimate nominee in order to participate in primary debates.

When the party chair says you MUST be a team player to get in the game your chances of winning the Superbowl ain't looking good.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    last year
Once DeSantis announces he's in the hunt, things will get very interesting

The timing of that is very important. DeSantis can't wait beyond June because donors will be making their choices no later than that. On the other hand, the minute DeSantis makes the announcement he becomes the main target of both Trump and the media.

Trump can't help being vile and mean spirited and the likely voters will quickly tire of his shitty shtick.

Did you see him in Ohio the other day?  He looks very old & tired. The spark is gone.

DeSantis did very well on his talk with Levin last night.

You bet!  That was his introduction. Keep in mind that DeSantis has yet to be tested on the debate stage.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.2  Snuffy  replied to  JBB @1    last year

With even the majority of Democrats saying that Biden should not run again, do you really think that will happen?  

It's still very early in the cycle and not everybody who's going to be running for the nominations has entered the ring.  I think it's way too early to make any definitive statements.

If the RNC holds firm to demanding all participants to the debate stage must sign a loyalty pledge to pledge to support the eventual nominee,  it will be interesting what Trump does.  If he doesn't sign it, the RNC is saying he won't be allowed on the debate stage.  If he signs it and is not the nominee, what will he do.  My biggest concern in that is that he decides to run third party.  I think there's enough followers who will vote for him to split the Republican vote and give the Oval Office to the Democrats.  I just really don't want Biden to run again, I think he's a failed president who should go home to Delaware and write his memoirs.

evilone
Professor Guide
1.2.1  evilone  replied to  Snuffy @1.2    last year
I think it's way too early to make any definitive statements.

Truth!

My biggest concern in that is that [Trump] decides to run third party.

I don't think he has the donor backing to do so. I think he'll sulk and spout toxicity from his hole.

I just really don't want Biden to run again, I think he's a failed president who should go home to Delaware and write his memoirs.

I don't think Biden has failed. He was instrumental in uniting NATO on Ukraine & got most of the funding his party wanted. His administration did not anticipate a large influx of people at the border and so didn't have a plan to deal with it.  That continues to hurt him. I don't want him to run again because he's as old as dirt and as appealing as lint. Like the GOP who in the Dem party has the recognition and appeal to unite the party and also bring in moderates? I don't know. I think both parties have kind of screwed themselves.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.2  devangelical  replied to  Snuffy @1.2    last year
the majority of Democrats saying that Biden should not run again

turn off FOX, they're lying to you...

JBB
Professor Principal
1.2.3  seeder  JBB  replied to  devangelical @1.2.2    last year

Old age caretakers confirm that blocking Fox News in dementia wards significantly reduces their incidences of elder rage...

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
1.2.4  afrayedknot  replied to  evilone @1.2.1    last year

“I don't know. I think both parties have kind of screwed themselves.”

Agreed.

And sadly, neither party has an alternative candidate to get us back on track. DeSantis is but trump 2.0, Biden can only beat trump, and trump is in self-immolation mode. The leadership vacuum will only continue to suck us dry until someone, anyone, from the next generation steps up and out of the shadows. A sad state of affairs. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.5  Vic Eldred  replied to  JBB @1.2.3    last year

Fp_EdzSXoAEcJmb?format=jpg&name=small

evilone
Professor Guide
1.2.6  evilone  replied to  afrayedknot @1.2.4    last year
The leadership vacuum will only continue to suck us dry until someone, anyone, from the next generation steps up and out of the shadows.

That could be easier, but the party chairs are gatekeepers, or is that crypt keepers? I've also seen many of the DNC up and comers, like AOC and Fetterman, infected with their own liberal brand of populism. It plays with the younger base, but will never pull in moderates. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.7  TᵢG  replied to  Snuffy @1.2    last year

If Trump wins the GOP nomination, that will almost ensure that whoever is the D nominee will win.

Do you disagree?

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.2.8  Snuffy  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.7    last year
If Trump wins the GOP nomination, that will almost ensure that whoever is the D nominee will win. Do you disagree?

Not entirely, it depends on who the Democrat nominee is.  I still think that with all the negative baggage that Biden has a hard time beating Trump this go-around.  I think Biden got lucky with Covid for the 2020 elections.  Had Covid not hit the campaign would have been a lot different and I believe harder on Biden, as well as Trump not having to deal with shooting himself in the foot so many times.

If inflation continues on it's path or we drop into recession, the blame for that will fall on the sitting president so Biden will take the hit for that.  And too many are still predicting recession due to the Fed.  Even if we don't end up in a recession, the current cost of living is just so high that people will blame the sitting president.  Kitchen table issues will dominate.  Polling I heard this morning show that the economy is the #1 issue for both Republicans and Democrats so unless prices go down a lot I think Biden takes a hit on that.  

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.9  TᵢG  replied to  Snuffy @1.2.8    last year
Not entirely, it depends on who the Democrat nominee is.

That is why my language used the phrase "almost ensure" rather than "ensure".   I covered the possibility of a truly shit D candidate.

I still think that with all the negative baggage that Biden has a hard time beating Trump this go-around. 

I see no possible way for Trump to beat Biden if we wind up in that nightmare situation.

Had Covid not hit the campaign would have been a lot different and I believe harder on Biden, as well as Trump not having to deal with shooting himself in the foot so many times.

Without the pandemic, Trump would have been reelected (IMO).

If inflation continues on it's path or we drop into recession, the blame for that will fall on the sitting president so Biden will take the hit for that.  

Of course.   It will also fall on the D party as a whole.   So the GOP has a real shot to win the presidency.   But they (collectively) stupidly refuse to denounce Trump.   So even though many have stopped actively supporting Trump, they still (through silence and defense) enable Trump to continue.   It is mind-boggling watching GOP members shoot themselves in the foot.

evilone
Professor Guide
1.2.10  evilone  replied to  Snuffy @1.2.8    last year
Polling I heard this morning show that the economy is the #1 issue for both Republicans and Democrats

And still spending was up again last month. So while people are pissed things cost more they are still spending like they did before inflation. Even car sales were up last month.

evilone
Professor Guide
1.2.11  evilone  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.9    last year
I see no possible way for Trump to beat Biden if we wind up in that nightmare situation.

This would be a horrible situation, but a snapshot taken today would suggest this is the ticket. Thankfully we have a long way to go before we get there and things are constantly in flux politically. A worse ticket would be a leftwing populist; someone like AOC making a run and getting the nom from the Dems. I really don't see reason making a comeback in 2024 though. It might come down to which brand of populism is less shitty for most moderate voters and Dems are energized. They'd back a baked potato en masse against the anti-abortion anti-LGBTQ+ MAGA populism that pervades the GOP platform today. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.2.12  Snuffy  replied to  evilone @1.2.10    last year

yep, but that spending is going on credit cards rather than cash.  There will be the devil to pay when that comes due.

The total consumer debt balance increased to $16.38 trillion in 2022, up from $15.31 trillion in 2021. The 7% increase from 2021 to 2022 was larger than the 5.4% increase in the same period from 2020 to 2021.