╌>

Silicon Valley Bank collapse puts new spotlight on Trump banking law

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  last year  •  26 comments

By:   Sahil Kapur (NBC News)

Silicon Valley Bank collapse puts new spotlight on Trump banking law
Silicon Valley Bank's failure is putting new scrutiny on a 2018 law signed by then-President Donald Trump that rolled back some banking regulations.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Link copied March 13, 2023, 2:59 PM UTC / Updated March 13, 2023, 4:33 PM UTC By Sahil Kapur

WASHINGTON — The failures of Silicon Valley Bank and Signature Bank are putting new scrutiny on a 2018 law that rolled back some banking regulations, with some Democrats calling to restore those rules as the federal government steps in to protect depositors.

"Congress, the White House‌ and banking regulators should reverse the dangerous bank deregulation of the Trump era. Repealing the 2018 legislation that weakened the rules for banks like S.V.B. must be an immediate priority for Congress," Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., wrote in a New York Times opinion piece Monday.

Rep. Katie Porter, D-Calif., who is running for Senate, said she's working on legislation in the House to reverse the 2018 law, which was led by Republicans and signed by then-President Donald Trump.

"Congress—in a bipartisan vote—caved to Wall Street and loosened our nation's banking laws. I have no problem standing up to Wall Street, so I'm writing legislation to reverse that risky law," she wrote in an email to supporters Sunday.

Biden addresses SVB, Signature failures: 'Deposits will be there'

March 13, 202306:41

President Joe Biden also said in a speech Monday announcing federal actions that the deregulation law played a role and called on Congress to toughen bank rules.

"During the Obama-Biden administration, we put in place tough requirements on banks, like Silicon Valley Bank and Signature Bank, including the Dodd-Frank law to make sure that the crisis we saw in 2008 would not happen again," he said. "Unfortunately, the last administration rolled back some of these requirements. I'm going to ask Congress and the banking regulators to strengthen the rules for banks to make it less likely this kind of bank failure would happen again and to protect American jobs and small businesses."

The fight over the 2018 law

Five years ago, Warren was the most outspoken opponent of the Republican-led Congress' push to undo regulations imposed under the 2010 Dodd-Frank law for small and midsize banks. The bill, led by Sen. Mike Crapo, R-Idaho, sought to reclassify the "too big to fail" standard, which came with enhanced regulatory scrutiny. By raising the threshold from $50 billion in assets to $250 billion, medium-size banks were exempted from those regulations.

"Had Congress and the Federal Reserve not rolled back the stricter oversight, S.V.B. and Signature would have been subject to stronger liquidity and capital requirements to withstand financial shocks," Warren wrote Monday. "They would have been required to conduct regular stress tests to expose their vulnerabilities and shore up their businesses. But because those requirements were repealed, when an old-fashioned bank run hit S.V.B‌., the‌ bank couldn't withstand the pressure — and Signature's collapse was close behind."

Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., who also opposed the 2018 law, blamed it for Silicon Valley Bank's collapse.

"Let's be clear. The failure of Silicon Valley Bank is a direct result of an absurd 2018 bank deregulation bill signed by Donald Trump that I strongly opposed," he said in a statement. "Five years ago, the Republican Director of the Congressional Budget Office released a report finding that this legislation would 'increase the likelihood that a large financial firm with assets of between $100 billion and $250 billion would fail.'"

The 2018 battle featured intense lobbying by banks — including Silicon Valley Bank and an array of smaller community banks — that were seeking regulatory relief.

The bill passed the House 258-159, winning 225 Republicans and 33 Democrats. In the Senate, it needed some Democrats to defeat a filibuster and achieve 60 votes. Warren infuriated some colleagues when she called out some Senate Democrats by name for trying to weaken Dodd-Frank rules.

In the end, 17 Democrats joined a unanimous Senate Republican conference to pass it. Trump signed it into law.

'Appropriate level of regulation'

One of those Democrats, Sen. Mark Warner of Virginia, defended the legislation Sunday when asked if he regrets supporting it.

"I do think these midsized banks needed some regulatory relief," Warner said on ABC's "This Week," adding that the law "put in place an appropriate level of regulation on midsized banks."

Warner said there would be "a lot of time to look back on what the regulators did and didn't do, and why the bank management didn't get this right." He called it a matter of "banking 101, managing interest rates risks."

"And what we've got to focus on right now is how do we make sure there's not contagion, and at the same time, you know, believe that the SVB can be acquired," he said.

Sen. Kevin Cramer, R-N.D., who voted for the 2018 law when he was in the House, also stood by it.

"They certainly don't need any more regulation. That doesn't mean that you can be mismanaged," he said Sunday on NBC's "Meet The Press." "We have seen a rather sharp increase in interest rates, which have put some smaller banks at odds with their own balance sheet. And now, of course, we have the Federal Reserve trying to change its balance sheet at the same time. And perhaps we need to do a little more review of all of that. But I don't think smaller banks need more oversight and more regulation — maybe better oversight, but certainly not more regulation."

Another proponent of the bank deregulation measure was Sen. Kyrsten Sinema, I-Ariz., who was a member of the House and running for Senate at the time.

Rep. Ruben Gallego, D-Ariz., who is running for Sinema's seat in 2024, voted against the 2018 legislation and issued a statement Monday attacking her.

"What's the difference between Senator Sinema and me?" Gallego said. "When bank lobbyists asked me to weaken bank regulations, I said no. When they asked Senator Sinema, she asked how much —and voted yes. Now we are all going to pay for her mistake."

Sahil Kapur

Sahil Kapur is a senior national political reporter for NBC News.

Julia Jester and Scott Wong contributed.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    last year

"And now you know the rest of the story" - Paul Harvey

"SURPRISE! SURPRISE! SURPRISE!" - Gohmer Pyle 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.1  Jack_TX  replied to  JBB @1    last year

What specific provisions of the deregulation led to the failure at SVB?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JBB @1    last year
There is “nothing” in the legislation (2018 to overhaul Dodd-Frank that diminishes the regulations intended to curb risk-taking by large banks, Democratic former Rep. Barney Frank told CNBC on Tuesday.

The House passed the measure on Tuesday by a vote of 258 to 159. It now heads to President Donald Trump, who is expected to sign it into law.

“It does not in any way weaken the regulations we put in there for the largest banks or that were there to prevent the kind of crisis we had 10 years ago,” said Frank, who co-authored the Dodd-Frank reforms after the financial crisis.

The legislation would raise the level at which banks are considered “systemically important” from $50 billion in assets to $250 billion in assets.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2  Ronin2    last year
Warner said there would be "a lot of time to look back on what the regulators did and didn't do, and why the bank management didn't get this right." He called it a matter of "banking 101, managing interest rates risks."

Because the bank managers were more concerned with being "woke" then actually running a functioning bank.

But don't let facts get in the way.

A head of risk management at Silicon Valley Bank spent considerable time spearheading multiple “woke” LGBTQ+ programs, including a “safe space” for coming-out stories, as the firm raced toward collapse.

Jay Ersapah, the boss of financial risk management at SVB’s UK branch, launched initiatives such as the company’s first month-long Pride campaign and a new blog emphasizing mental health awareness for LGBTQ+ youth.

“The phrase ‘You can’t be what you can’t see’ resonates with me,’” Ersapah was quoted as saying on the company website.

“As a queer person of color and a first-generation immigrant from a working-class background, there were not many role models for me to ‘see’ growing up.”

Her efforts as the company’s European LGBTQIA+ Employee Resource Group co-chair earned her a spot on SVB’s “outstanding LGBT+ Role Model Lists 2022 ,” a list shared in a company post just four months before the bank was shut down by federal authorities over liquidity fears.

In addition to instituting SVB’s first “safe space catch-up” — which encouraged employees to share their coming-out stories — and serving on LGBTQ+ panels around the world, Ersapah spent time over the last year serving as a  director for diversity role models  and volunteering as a  mentor for migrant leaders .

“I feel privileged to co-chair the LGBTQ+ ERG and help spread awareness of lived queer experiences, partner with charitable organizations, and above all, create a sense of community for our LGBTQ+ employees and allies.”

Ersapah couldn’t immediately be reached for comment.

SVB was abruptly shut down Friday by the California Department of Financial Protection and Innovation shortly after the bank disclosed it had taken a $1.8 billion hit from a $21 billion fire sale of its bond holdings.

It faced a cash crunch due to surging interest rates, and a recent meltdown in the tech sector led many customers to pare their deposits.

Guess having good management that runs a fiscally sound business is secondary to being properly "woke".

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
3  Nerm_L    last year

How would increased oversight have prevented a bank run?  None of these advocates for regulation are explaining what SVB did that was risky.

From what has been reported, SVB didn't break any laws and SVB was not trying to game the system.  The bank run forced SVB to sell Federal treasuries at a loss.  How would increased oversight and regulation have prevented that?

evilone
Professor Guide
3.1  evilone  replied to  Nerm_L @3    last year
How would increased oversight have prevented a bank run?

Increased oversight would require more liquidity to cover depositors and yellow flags would have gone up before the bank dumped too much of their capital into those long term investments. 

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
3.1.1  Nerm_L  replied to  evilone @3.1    last year
Increased oversight would require more liquidity to cover depositors and yellow flags would have gone up before the bank dumped too much of their capital into those long term investments. 

Federal treasuries are liquid assets that can be immediately sold for cash.  Banks use Federal treasuries to maintain liquidity.  The problem is that the value of Federal treasures has dropped by 2.5 pct (or more) over the last year.    

If Federal treasuries are too risky then what else can banks use to secure deposits? 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4  Jeremy Retired in NC    last year
2018 law signed by then-President Donald Trump

And Biden has been in office since 2021.  That means there was 2 years to fix this.  But lets not worry about the facts and run with fiction.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4    last year

Nah, it's just another attempt to go after the big bad orange man.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @4    last year
That means there was 2 years to fix this.  But lets not worry about the facts and run with fiction.

Biden is President and controlled Congress for 2 years. How can you expect him to accomplish something that Trump was able to do? 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.2.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.2    last year
 How can you expect him to accomplish something that Trump was able to do? 

I don't expect Biden to be able to blink and breathe without assistance.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5  Sean Treacy    last year

It's been amusing watching some of the Biden apologists  make this argument only to have video of them supporting the move appear right after.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
6  Right Down the Center    last year

Well over 2 years later and they are still playing the" but but but trump" card. They must have temporarily run out of "but but but it's racist" cards.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7  Tacos!    last year

First, just because some politician claims that the law led to the bank collapse, that doesn’t make it true.

Second, that law passed with bipartisan support. Several Democrats voted for it. 

Third, if was such a shitty and dangerous law, why didn’t President Hindsight do something about it before now?

Snuffy
Professor Participates
7.1  Snuffy  replied to  Tacos! @7    last year
Second, that law passed with bipartisan support. Several Democrats voted for it. 

Got that right.  Hell, many democrats were co-sponsors of the bill.   

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.2  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @7    last year

How many equals several?

How many republicans voted for it compared to Democrats?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7.2.1  Tacos!  replied to  Tessylo @7.2    last year

I mean . . . The answers to your question are in the article. Just scroll up.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
7.2.2  Snuffy  replied to  Tacos! @7.2.1    last year

Some don't want answers, they just want to deflect from the conversation.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.2.3  Tessylo  replied to  Snuffy @7.2.2    last year

I asked Tacos before I actually read the article.  My mistake.  I saw the emphasis on several and failed to check the source.  But there you go with your usual insults.

Couldn't tacos have just said 17 or whatever?  

jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif

Kavika
Professor Principal
8  Kavika     last year

Once Glass Steagall bill was diluted and finally done away with in 1999 the race was on to financial meltdowns. 2008 the big meltdown and then Dodd-Frank which was not nearly as strong as Glass Steagall came into effect and it too was watered down in 2018.  And then, SVB et al.

What in the world did people think was going to happen? We need to go back to Glass Steagall when banks were banks and not brokerage houses playing with depositor's money.

BTW, members of both parties are responsible for this CF. 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
8.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Kavika @8    last year

How would have Glass Steagall prevented the commercial bank credit losses on bad real estate loans?  How would it have kept Lehman Brothers, Bear Stearns, AIG  investment bank out of troub

"Look at all the grief I got for signing the bill that ended Glass-Steagall.  There's not a single, solitary example that it had anything to do with the financial crash."  Bill Clinton

Hallux
PhD Principal
8.1.1  Hallux  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @8.1    last year

Bill was not renowned for honesty.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
8.1.2  Jack_TX  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @8.1    last year
How would have Glass Steagall prevented the commercial bank credit losses on bad real estate loans?

It wouldn't have.  But that's not how they failed.

GS would have kept depositor money out of credit default swaps and derivatives on them.

That said, nothing in Dodd-Frank would have prevented SVB from failing.   They would have passed the stress tests.  Had they failed the stress tests, the remedy would have been to do more of what ultimately resulted in their closure.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
8.2  Jack_TX  replied to  Kavika @8    last year
We need to go back to Glass Steagall when banks were banks and not brokerage houses playing with depositor's money.

None of the banks that failed in the last week would have been in violation of Glass Steagall.

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.2.1  Kavika   replied to  Jack_TX @8.2    last year
None of the banks that failed in the last week would have been in violation of Glass Steagall.

That is possible but if the 2018 bill moved them from a $50B cap to a $250B cap they would have come under the more strict Dodd-Frank provisions for major banks. As they became, in some politicians,  industry execs, and lobbyists' eyes, not a systemic risk if they failed seemed to be proved false since it looks as if they brought us to the brink once again.

The one provision that seems to stand out that they are exempt from is the ''standard liquidity ratio'' required by all the major banks. I've read the article that states that probably it would not have stopped SVB problem. Probably doesn't work well as far as I'm concerned. 

A couple of other things that were a bit stunning was SVB went without a ''risk officer'' for most of 2022 and that the CEO and CFO seemed to be out of touch with what was happening in the financial world with the feds raising interest rates on a regular basis and signaling that they would continue. 

So, with the amount of money that the financial sectors pour into lobbyists and then into politicians we may see nothing done and we'll be facing another crisis in a few years.  

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
8.2.2  Jack_TX  replied to  Kavika @8.2.1    last year
That is possible but if the 2018 bill moved them from a $50B cap to a $250B cap they would have come under the more strict Dodd-Frank provisions for major banks.

Apparently, that would not have mattered.

A couple of other things that were a bit stunning was SVB went without a ''risk officer'' for most of 2022 and that the CEO and CFO seemed to be out of touch with what was happening in the financial world with the feds raising interest rates on a regular basis and signaling that they would continue.

I agree.  They made some poor business decisions that look inexplicable in hindsight.  Surely that had to know interest rates would rise eventually.  Everybody else did.

It's a business issue, not a regulatory issue.