╌>

Russian aircraft collides into US unmanned system in international waters

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  hallux  •  last year  •  8 comments

By:   U.S. AIR FORCES EUROPE - AIR FORCES AFRICA

Russian aircraft collides into US unmanned system in international waters

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Two Russian Su-27 aircraft conducted an unsafe and unprofessional intercept with a U.S. Air Force Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance unmanned MQ-9 aircraft that was operating within international airspace over the Black Sea today. 

At approximately 7:03 AM (CET), one of the Russian Su-27 aircraft struck the propeller of the MQ-9, causing U.S. forces to have to bring the MQ-9 down in international waters. Several times before the collision, the Su-27s dumped fuel on and flew in front of the MQ-9 in a reckless, environmentally unsound and unprofessional manner. This incident demonstrates a lack of competence in addition to being unsafe and unprofessional. 

“Our MQ-9 aircraft was conducting routine operations in international airspace when it was intercepted and hit by a Russian aircraft, resulting in a crash and complete loss of the MQ-9,” said U.S. Air Force Gen. James B. Hecker, commander, U.S. Air Forces Europe and Air Forces Africa. “In fact, this unsafe and unprofessional act by the Russians nearly caused both aircraft to crash.”

“U.S. and Allied aircraft will continue to operate in international airspace and we call on the Russians to conduct themselves professionally and safely,” Hecker added. 

This incident follows a pattern of dangerous actions by Russian pilots while interacting with U.S. and Allied aircraft over international airspace, including over the Black Sea. These aggressive actions by Russian aircrew are dangerous and could lead to miscalculation and unintended escalation. 

U.S. Air Forces in Europe – Air Forces Africa routinely fly aircraft throughout Europe over sovereign territory and throughout international airspace in coordination with applicable host nation and international laws. In order to bolster collective European defense and security, these missions support Allied, partner, and U.S. national objectives.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hallux
Masters Principal
1  seeder  Hallux    last year

MQ-9s are operated by woke folk who also work for certain banks. /s

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     last year

I'm certainly happy they are woke folks and not comatose folks. 

Russia will push the limits because of our support of Ukraine, seems it's going back to the cold war era.

evilone
Professor Guide
2.1  evilone  replied to  Kavika @2    last year
Russia will push the limits because of our support of Ukraine, seems it's going back to the cold war era.

It's no secret Russia wants to go back to the good old days of the Soviet Union and the cold war. I don't think Biden's Submarine sale announcement helped. I think it just ratchets things up and forces China to get closer to Russia. Add in Saudi Aribia getting all buddy buddy with Iran and I'm starting to get flashbacks to 1983.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  evilone @2.1    last year

Oh gawd help me....I will return to my nightmares of my youth. I used to dream about nuclear attacks at least once a week when I was young

Hallux
Masters Principal
2.1.2  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.1    last year

See, you can be young again!

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3  Ronin2    last year

Do stupid shit in a war zone win stupid prizes.

What did Brandon expect? Russia is already pissed at us for supplying Ukraine with US military hardware; training; munitions; and financial aid. Think they are going to be happy with us spying on them as well?

Luckily it was only an unmanned drone. I am sure Russia will have a different story and claim the drone veered into it's fighter.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
3.1  pat wilson  replied to  Ronin2 @3    last year
in a war zone

Did you even read the article ? It mentions at least six times that this happened in international airspace.

Russia is already pissed at us

I'm sure Pooty appreciates your sympathies.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4  Trout Giggles    last year

They're gonna fuck around and find out.