╌>

Army Base to Be Renamed for Native American War Hero, Replacing Confederate

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  hallux  •  last year  •  8 comments

By:   Chris Cameron - NYT

Army Base to Be Renamed for Native American War Hero, Replacing Confederate
In the first of nine scheduled redesignations, Fort Pickett in Virginia will become Fort Barfoot in honor of Col. Van Barfoot, a Medal of Honor recipient.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

WASHINGTON — It was a name synonymous with failure.   More than 80 years ago , an Army base in Blackstone, Va., was named for George E. Pickett, the defeated Confederate general who led the disastrous “Pickett’s charge” at the   Battle of Gettysburg .

Now the base is the first of nine named for a Confederate set to be   redesignated by the end of this year . On Friday, Fort Pickett   will become Fort Barfoot , in honor of  Col. Van Barfoot , a World War II hero and a Medal of Honor recipient.

The ceremony will be the culmination of a yearlong effort to purge the symbols of the Confederacy from the military. The nine Army bases were originally named for Confederates during the Jim Crow era as part of a national movement to   glorify the Confederacy   and advance the   Lost Cause myth   that the Civil War was fought over “states’ rights” and not slavery.

The issue had ignited a political flashpoint   between President Donald J. Trump and Congress . Amid a wave of demonstrations for racial justice in the summer of 2020, after the   murder of George Floyd , Mr. Trump   refused to allow the bases to be renamed , going so far as to   veto the annual defense authorization bill   that included the renaming provision. Congress ultimately forced the measure through,  overriding the veto .

A commission established by Congress then recommended   new names   for the bases, selecting a diverse array of American warriors, including women, Black and Hispanic soldiers and Colonel Barfoot, a   Choctaw   who served 34 years in the Army. Defense Secretary Lloyd J. Austin III   ordered the changes  to be carried out by the end of 2023. The Navy   renamed two ships   this month as part of the initiative.

Serving in the 45th Infantry Division during World War II, Colonel Barfoot, then a technical sergeant, took part in the   Battle of Anzio in Italy . On May 23, 1944, he single-handedly silenced three machine-gun nests, disabled a German tank with a bazooka, blew up an artillery cannon with a demolition charge and took 17 enemy soldiers prisoner.

In addition to everything else that day, he rescued two grievously wounded American soldiers, leading them about a mile to safety. His actions earned him the Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest award for valor in combat. The  Medal of Honor citation  noted Colonel Barfoot’s “extraordinary heroism, demonstration of magnificent valor and aggressive determination in the face of point-blank fire.”

“I never lost my head,” Colonel Barfoot said of that day   in a later interview . “I really didn’t sit down and think about what I had done.”

Later in life, Colonel Barfoot   again drew national attention   for successfully fighting his homeowners association to keep an American flag flying in his front yard. He died in 2012.

Fort Barfoot, a 41,000-acre facility just east of Blackstone, was established as Camp Pickett in 1942 , one of dozens of temporary military facilities that sprouted across the country during World War II and one of eight major installations named for a Confederate in that period. Army policy at the time said bases that housed Southerners should be named for  Confederate commanders .

The camp became a more permanent installation, Fort Pickett, in 1974, and was turned over to the Virginia National Guard in 1997.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hallux
PhD Principal
1  seeder  Hallux    last year

So long Gen. Pickett, it was nice not knowing you.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Hallux @1    last year

anything named after goober traitors needs to be changed.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.2  Sparty On  replied to  Hallux @1    last year

Excellent.  
I’m sure this name change will help us keep our little brother to the north even safer.

Hallux
PhD Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Sparty On @1.2    last year

Why, are you some kind of southern galactic threat?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Sparty On  replied to  Hallux @1.2.1    last year

Nope, why are you concerned about what US military bases are named?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3  Jack_TX    last year

Frankly I don't care what the bases are called.  I do care that there is an orderly, considered process for changing them.

It appears there is and that has been followed, so well done. 

Maybe we can use this as an example for the morons who just want to go vandalize statues of people they don't like.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     last year

A good move, naming a military base after a Medal of Honor recipient rather than a Confederate General is the way it should be. Col. Barfoot was also awarded the Silver and a Purple Heart with two cluster. (wounded three times).

I would love to see the newest Navy destroyer name after Commander Ernest E. Evans. MoH recipient that led the ''tin can navy'' to probably the Navies finest hour.

The Battle of Samar.