╌>

‘Deranged leadership’: Oath Keeper who entered Capitol on Jan. 6 turns on Stewart Rhodes

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  evilgenius  •  11 months ago  •  18 comments

By:   Kyle Cheney

‘Deranged leadership’: Oath Keeper who entered Capitol on Jan. 6 turns on Stewart Rhodes
Rhodes was part of a “deranged leadership” that turned the Oath Keepers “into a political ‘rah-rah Trump’ disaster”

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Roberto Minuta, one of more than a dozen Oath Keepers who surged with a mob into the Capitol on Jan. 6, lashed out at the group’s founder, Stewart Rhodes, on Thursday as he prepared to face sentencing for his conviction on seditious conspiracy.

Minuta said Rhodes was part of a “deranged leadership” that turned the Oath Keepers “into a political ‘rah-rah Trump’ disaster” that duped many of the group’s members into criminal activity.

“I was misled and naive,” Minuta said, shortly before U.S. District Court Judge Amit Mehta sentenced him to 4½ years in prison.

Mehta credited Minuta’s comments and expressions of remorse for his actions but said his efforts to downplay his actions and involvement were belied by his clear violent intentions in the weeks preceding Jan. 6.

“Steeping yourself and cloaking yourself in this tradition of the founders and violent uprising and believing that the Second Amendment allows individual citizens to gather up arms to battle their government?” Mehta said. “The law doesn’t permit that.”

Minuta is the third Jan. 6 defendant sentenced for seditious conspiracy, the gravest charge leveled by prosecutors against about a dozen defendants charged for their role in the Jan. 6 attack.

Mehta sentenced Rhodes last week to 18 years in prison, the longest sentence handed down yet in the 1,000 cases prosecuted stemming from the violent Jan. 6 assault on the Capitol. Mehta also sentenced Oath Keeper Kelly Meggs to 12 years in prison last week. Their sentencings are the start of the most significant reckoning for the Jan. 6 rioters whom prosecutors have described as the key drivers of the violence and chaos.

The judge described Rhodes as an ongoing danger to the republic who used his Yale Law education and charisma to manipulate supporters and gin up chaos and destruction. Rhodes, he found, was a key driver of the mayhem on Jan. 6, positioning the Oath Keepers to be at the forefront of a potential violent clash to prevent the transfer of power from Donald Trump to Joe Biden.

Minuta’s lawyer, William Shipley, similarly piled on Rhodes, calling him a “parasite” who used the Oath Keepers organization.

Minuta, in his remarks, said his fury at the government was driven in part by the Covid-era destruction of his business and threats he received when he opened his Newburgh, N.Y., tattoo shop in violation of local restrictions. He said that anger fused with claims by Trump and others that the election had been stolen led him to make incendiary comments on social media. He apologized for both his words and his conduct on Jan. 6.

Minuta also said his entry into the Capitol was simply about aiding police, who he claimed had asked for assistance — a proposition Mehta said was belied by Minuta’s words and actions the entire day.

“You weren’t there to help them,” Mehta said. “You may have convinced yourself of that. But there isn’t any shred of evidence that would be consistent with that intent.”

The judge added that the jury found Minuta culpable of acting in concert with other Oath Keepers whose conduct was even graver — and the law makes him culpable for the actions of his co-conspirators.

“Operating with others gives people greater courage, it gives them the ability to do more harm and it gives them the ability to have a far greater impact than they can do on their own,” Mehta said.

But Mehta also sharply diverged from prosecutors, who initially sought a 17-year sentence, and tried to cast Minuta in a similar light as Rhodes. Assistant U.S. Attorney Troy Edwards described him as a “dangerous individual to others and his republic” with a “warped sense of patriotism that calls for violence against the government when he disagrees with it.”

“This is his belief system,” Edwards said during sentencing proceedings. “He lived up to his twisted creed to take the fight to the government that he considered corrupt and tyrannical.”

Mehta, however, said he doesn’t view Minuta as likely to commit future crimes.

Prosecutors highlighted Minuta’s pre-Jan. 6 rhetoric, in which he predicted a bloody civil war in which “millions” would die. “So what?” he said in a social media video. “Get your fucking soul ready. Get right with god.”

On the afternoon of Jan. 6, Minuta would join with other Oath Keepers to race to the Capitol — riding in golf carts through D.C. streets — after they learned that pro-Trump rioters and other members of their group had entered the Capitol, some clashing with police. He berated police officers on his way into the Capitol and was present as others in the mob pushed against the police line. Prosecutors say he joined in the pushing, though Minuta disputes the claim.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

evilone
Professor Guide
1  seeder  evilone    11 months ago

They keep throwing each other under the bus.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  evilone @1    11 months ago

The Oath Keepers are disappearing...behind bars

evilone
Professor Guide
1.1.1  seeder  evilone  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1    11 months ago
The Oath Keepers are disappearing...behind bars

What makes me laugh is that when they get out of prison these pricks won't legally be able to own fire arms or vote in most states.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.2  devangelical  replied to  evilone @1.1.1    11 months ago

it's makes me angry that they will eventually get out of jail...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  evilone @1.1.1    11 months ago

I'm not so sure about the gun ownership thingy. I think some of the red states allow felons to own guns after a certain amount of time. I could be wrong

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.4  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.3    11 months ago

only if they're white xtian males ...

evilone
Professor Guide
1.1.5  seeder  evilone  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.3    11 months ago

I just looked it up and found this:

Colorado, Kansas, Louisiana, Minnesota, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oregon and South Dakota automatically restore firearms rights to convicted felons - including those who committed violent crimes - but make them wait five to 15 years after they complete state supervision

You know, though, the worst of these idiots will get caught doing something stupid and carrying before those 15 years are up. That's what happened to the Proud Boys leader.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.1.6  Snuffy  replied to  evilone @1.1.5    11 months ago

Where did you pull that from?  From what I find, that's only true in specific instances..

The Loss Of The Right To Bear Arms Because Of A Felony Conviction

With a felony conviction, federal law removes the right to bear arms. That right can only be restored with an expungement (record sealing) – (for felony convictions the right to seek to seal – expunge a felony only exists in Colorado for certain types of Drug Crimes felonies) – or by the grant of a governor’s pardon.

It also goes against federal law.

Anyone who has been convicted of a felony is banned by federal law from ever possessing "any firearm or ammunition." Specifically a person "convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year" cannot possess any firearm in any location. 18 U.S.C. 922(g) is the federal law that prohibits anyone ever convicted of any felony to ever possess any firearm either inside or outside of his home. The federal punishment for firearm possession by a felon is up to 10 years in prison.

The law prohibiting gun ownership by a convicted felon has exceptions. There is specific statutory language providing that the federal prohibition on firearms possession by a felon does not apply to individuals who have had their civil rights restored by the state where the felony conviction occurred.

From what I read, there are exceptions to the federal law but it only applies to felons who were convicted by state courts, not a federal court.  Basically they have to have their civil liberties restored and the requirements to get those restored is very restricted.

evilone
Professor Guide
1.1.7  seeder  evilone  replied to  Snuffy @1.1.6    11 months ago
Where did you pull that from?

The top of my google search. 

From what I find, that's only true in specific instances..

Yeah.. I was lazy. I admit it.

Basically they have to have their civil liberties restored and the requirements to get those restored is very restricted.

Thanks for the correction. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.8  Trout Giggles  replied to  Snuffy @1.1.6    11 months ago

So if convicted by a state it's possible to get their rights back. But since these asshats were convicted in federal court they are SOL

Thanks for the info and good to know. I don't mind being corrected if done nicely like you did

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.1.9  Snuffy  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.8    11 months ago
if done nicely like you did

Just please don't spread that around.  I have a rep to protect.....     

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.10  Trout Giggles  replied to  Snuffy @1.1.9    11 months ago

your secret is safe with me

Ender
Professor Principal
2  Ender    11 months ago

I don't know. Wasn't it the horned guy that said he was remorseful and now says the opposite.

evilone
Professor Guide
2.1  seeder  evilone  replied to  Ender @2    11 months ago
the horned guy

I thought I saw an article saying he's trying to make money selling leggings or some dumb shit. He's a con artist and at some point someone will stick one of those horns up his ass.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Ender @2    11 months ago
Wasn't it the horned guy that said he was remorseful and now says the opposite.

He was remorseful until they sentenced him.  After that he didn't see the need for the claim.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2    11 months ago

Ya know...I used to do that shit when I was a kid. Pretend I was real sorry until I either got punished or aquitted. Then I would be like "I'll do it again!"

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.2.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.1    11 months ago
Ya know...I used to do that shit when I was a kid. Pretend I was real sorry until I either got punished or aquitted. Then I would be like "I'll do it again!"

I have always found it amazing how many convicted criminals "find god" just before their parole hearing...

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     11 months ago

So the guy was mislead, well if you are that stupid to be mislead into a serious crime you should have received 12 years for stupidity.