╌>

Words to Live By

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  robert-in-ohio  •  4 months ago  •  7 comments

By:   Darren Orf Darren lives in Portland, Oregon, has two cats, and writes about science, technology, nature, and history.

Words to Live By
“Those Who Do Not Learn History Are Doomed To Repeat It.” , George Santayana

We live in a time where everyone, every generation, and every institution wants us to believe that their point of view, position on an issue or politics are the absolute truth and cannot be questioned.

I believe that is rubbish and feel that we need to look to our history, to those who helped mold and led this country for guidance and wisdom

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Knowledge is in every Country the surest basis of public happiness.

George Washington (1790), urging the pursuit of science in his first address

The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present ... fellow citizens, we cannot escape history.

Abraham Lincoln (1862), on the imperative of winning the Civil War

We may either fall greatly or succeed greatly; but we can not avoid the endeavor from which either great failure or great success must come.

Theodore Roosevelt (1902)

Social justice comes first. Law is the machinery for its realization and is vital only as it expresses and embodies it.

Woodrow Wilson (1913)

We look forward to a world founded upon four essential human freedoms. The first is freedom of speech ... The second is freedom of every person to worship God in his own way ... The third is freedom from want ... The fourth is freedom from fear.

Franklin D. Roosevelt (1941)

The mere absence of war is not peace. The mere absence of recession is not growth. We have made a beginning — but we have only begun.

John F. Kennedy (1963), on the importance of vigilance during the Cold War

Very often a lack of jobs and money is not the cause of poverty, but the symptom. The cause may lie deeper in our failure to give our fellow citizens a fair chance to develop their own capacities.

Lyndon B. Johnson (1964), in reference to his “war on poverty

There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect.

Ronald Reagan (1985)

And to the children and young people ... Fix your vision on a new century — your century, on dreams we cannot see, on the destiny that is yours and yours alone.

George H.W. Bush (1990)

Unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word.

Barack Obama (2016), at the conclusion of his final State of the Union

Red Box Rules

Stay on Topic

Comment on the Quotes above or provide other State of the Union quotes

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Robert in Ohio    4 months ago

As surely as we do not want to repeat the mistakes of the past, neither do we want to forget any of the lessons learned or wisdom our past provides.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2  Greg Jones    4 months ago

Sadly, some people are obsessed with the mistakes and wrong doings of the past. They can't seem to let go of the past and take up positive actions and attitudes toward doing better now and in the future. 

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
3  Right Down the Center    4 months ago

Whatcha doin with that copy of the state of the union Nancy? Donald Trump 2020 

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
4  Right Down the Center    4 months ago

Never a fan of SOU. Always seems like a "let me tell you why I am so wonderful " speech and a regurgitation of bumper sticker sayings.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5  TᵢG    4 months ago

And then we have:   “I know words. I have the best words.”

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
6  Right Down the Center    4 months ago

And who can forget:  ANKJSHYHENHSJFBJEKDIDN.  Joe Biden, pick a SOU, any SOU.

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
7  mocowgirl    4 months ago
We live in a time where everyone, every generation, and every institution wants us to believe that their point of view, position on an issue or politics are the absolute truth and cannot be questioned.

I heartily disagree with using absolutes.  The reasons, that some people can't tolerate questions, are many.

Asking questions is a sign of intelligence.  Being outraged for being questioned might mean the person has a mental disorder, is unintelligent, is spouting gibberish that has no value, or is just a parrot repeating someone else's viewpoints.