╌>

Oregon Starts SHUTTING DOWN Small Farms “To Protect The People”

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  robert-in-ohio  •  one month ago  •  7 comments

By:   Tony Bonnani

Oregon Starts SHUTTING DOWN Small Farms “To Protect The People”
"The state of Oregon has effectively shut down small farms and market gardens on a large scale, and they're actually sending out cease-and-desist letters to farms and they're using satellite technology to find their victims and send them these letters that say you can't operate," https://www.naturalnews.com/2024-03-20-oregon-suddenly-starts-shutting-down-small-farms.html

The state of Oregon is shutting down family farms

When I saw the headline I thought it was a satirical political article.

Family farms lived on and managed by families for generations are at stake

Where will the food produced by these farms replaced from, huge corporat co-ops that will charge more for the same products.

I wonder if water parks are being shut down, swimming pools in the back yard made illegal

Makes you wonder

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Oregon, often praised for its lush landscapes and agricultural heritage, is now  embroiled in controversy  as small family farms face unprecedented challenges. Under the guise of environmental protection and water conservation, state authorities are wielding regulatory measures to shutter these farms en masse. This assault on Oregon’s small farms not only threatens the livelihoods of farmers but also raises fundamental questions about food sovereignty and individual freedoms.

At the heart of the issue lies Oregon’s aggressive regulatory crackdown on small family farms. Bureaucrats have resorted to labeling these farms as concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFOs), utilizing broad definitions that encompass even modest homesteads. This misclassification serves as the pretext for the closure of farms deemed to violate environmental standards.

The state’s definition of CAFOs, characterized by its vagueness and overreach, has sparked widespread outcry among farmers and legal experts alike. Even homesteads with minimal livestock and pasture areas are falling prey to this arbitrary classification, facing the threat of closure and punitive measures.

Legal challenges have emerged in response to Oregon’s broad definitions of CAFOs, with lawsuits arguing against the disproportionate impact on small family farms. Critics contend that the state’s regulatory framework fails to account for the scale and nature of these operations, imposing undue burdens on farmers striving to maintain sustainable practices.

Among the hardest hit by Oregon’s regulatory onslaught are small dairy farmers, who find themselves grappling with onerous requirements and compliance costs. The discrepancy between regulatory expectations and the economic viability of small-scale dairy operations threatens the survival of these traditional family-owned businesses.

In addition to regulatory hurdles, Oregon’s stringent restrictions on water use pose significant challenges for farmers. Prohibitive regulations governing access to groundwater and surface water further exacerbate the plight of small-scale agricultural producers, hindering their ability to irrigate crops and sustain livestock.

Oregon’s classification of all water resources as public assets, including groundwater on private property, underscores the state’s expansive reach into agricultural affairs. This encroachment on private property rights and water use autonomy represents a fundamental challenge to farmers’ sovereignty over their land and resources.

Critics argue that Oregon’s regulatory measures serve to consolidate power and control over the food market, favoring large-scale industrial operations at the expense of small family farms. The erosion of agricultural diversity not only undermines local economies but also diminishes consumers’ access to fresh, locally sourced produce.

Amidst the regulatory onslaught, questions of constitutional rights and food freedom come to the forefront. Americans’ inherent right to grow, produce, and consume food of their choosing is under threat, highlighting the need for robust protections against government overreach in agricultural policy.

As Oregon grapples with the repercussions of its regulatory overreach, the implications extend far beyond state borders. The plight of small family farms serves as a cautionary tale, underscoring the need for balanced and equitable agricultural policies that safeguard the interests of farmers and consumers alike.

Red Box Rules

I hope everyone will read the article 9the whole article) before commenting, but I understand that is a lot to ask so please read as much as you can 

Choose a side, occupy the middle or just argue but do it civilly

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Robert in Ohio    one month ago

From the article

Protecting Small-scale Agriculture

What do you think? How can states like Oregon strike a balance between environmental conservation and supporting small family farms? What role should local communities play in advocating for the protection of small-scale agricultural operations?

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
2  seeder  Robert in Ohio    one month ago

This seems to be a bit of government overreach to me, but I am willing to listen to other opinions on the matter.

I live in a rural area and the family farms are our greatest treasures - the ability to buy produce that is fresh (in season) and that you can actually see grow is a great feeling.  Driving past dairy farms and knowing that the milk will be available in stores.

We need to save the family farm

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3  Jeremy Retired in NC    one month ago
Back in January of this year, a lawsuit was filed on behalf of small family farms throughout Oregon, arguing that the definition of a CAFO is too broad and negatively impacts pretty much anyone who produces eggs from backyard chickens, no matter the size of their property.

Apparently this was fought before and an injunction is in place until it can be heard in court.  

As it appears, Oregon is bastardizing the law over water rights.  Farmers can't collect water from streams, rivers or ground water as, according to the law, it's a public resource despite being on private property.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
3.1  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3    one month ago

I hope this turns out to have a lessened effect on the local farmers and dairy farmers

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3.1.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Robert in Ohio @3.1    one month ago

Big Ag has successful lobbyed Oregon against their small competition.

evilone
Professor Guide
4  evilone    one month ago
The state’s definition of CAFOs, characterized by its vagueness and overreach, has sparked widespread outcry among farmers and legal experts alike.

This likely won't survive legal scrutiny as is and will be a continuous issue between farmers and states. 

Oregon’s classification of all water resources as public assets, including groundwater on private property, underscores the state’s expansive reach into agricultural affairs. 

Many states already claim mineral rights on private land. It was only a matter of time before it pertained to water. Something I vehemently disagree with considering if there was contamination of the ground water the state would do little to nothing for these farmers.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
4.1  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  evilone @4    one month ago

I agree this is a gross overreach by the state