╌>

Gov. DeSantis signs law that allows squatters to be immediately evicted

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  s  •  one month ago  •  3 comments

Gov. DeSantis signs law that allows squatters to be immediately evicted

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has signed a bill that will allow squatters in the state to be immediately evicted.

DeSantis signed the bill,   HB 621 , during a news conference Wednesday in Orlando, promising that Florida is "ending the squatter scam."

"The squatter scam ends today with my signature on this piece of legislation and the state of Florida will be better for it," said DeSantis.

Before the bill, squatters were considered to be tenants and a process was required to evict them. But now, this bill strips squatters of those rights.

"If you are the victim of squatting you can simply fill out a form, give it to your local sheriff and the sheriff is instructed to go and remove the people who are inhabiting your dwelling illegally," DeSantis said.

Lawmakers overwhelmingly passed the bill, which allows law enforcement to immediately remove squatters who don’t have a lease authorized by the owner of the property.

In addition, it creates strict criminal penalties for anyone who presents a false document purporting to be a valid lease agreement, deed, or other instrument conveying real property rights.

It also prohibits listing or advertising for sale, or renting or leasing, residential real property and makes it a felony for anyone to cause $1,000 or more in damages to the property.

Up in Jacksonville, Patti Peeples captured her confrontation with squatters on video. It took months to get them evicted because they had a fake deed to the property, and they damaged the home extensively.

“It is, quite frankly, one of the most frustrating, unfair experiences, and frightening experiences of my life, the burden of proof was on me," Peeples said.

Justin Carrick of Winter Park said squatters turned a neighbor’s house into a drug den.

“We were prisoners in our own homes because of these squatters, this insanity lasted for five months," he said.

The bill will go into effect on July 1.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Sean Treacy    one month ago

See a problem developing in lunatic run states, and immediately prevent it. 

How government is supposed to work. 

This will help prevent situations like the recent murder of the property owner by squatters in New York. 

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
2  MonsterMash    one month ago

Every state should follow Florida's lead in regards to squatters. I think squatters should be charged with breaking & entering with a minimum sentence of two years in prison.

charger 383
Professor Silent
3  charger 383    one month ago

Good law and squatters should have to pay for any damages and expenses they caused..