╌>

Alabama man charged with detonating explosive device outside state attorney general's office

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  s  •  3 weeks ago  •  26 comments

Alabama man charged with detonating explosive device outside state attorney general's office

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

An Alabama man was arrested and indicted this week on charges that he   detonat ed   an explosive device outside the Alabama attorney general's office in late February, the U.S. Justice Department announced Wednesday.

Kyle Benjamin Douglas Calvert, 26, of Irondale, was charged with malicious use of an explosive and possession of an unregistered destructive device, the Justice Department said.

The   explosion   outside Attorney General Steve Marshall’s office occurred around 3:42 a.m. on Feb. 24. No injuries or major damage were reported.

"That device had the characteristics of an IED, and Calvert added a substantial number of nails and other shrapnel to increase its destructive capability," a U.S. attorney's office wrote in detention memo filed Wednesday, using the initialism for an improvised explosive device.

The memo alleges that law enforcement officers found that the suspect also placed stickers on state buildings "advocating for various political ideologies" the night of the explosion, including stickers promoting antifa, anti-police and anti-Immigration and Customs Enforcement sentiments.

Calvert has expressed his “belief that violence should be directed against the government, and he has described his inability to control his own violent, aggressive impulses," the memo added.

Court documents revealed a monthslong investigation involving the use of video surveillance to track the suspect’s whereabouts the night of the crime, matching the suspect vehicle to license plate reader information, social media, an analysis of the suspect's gait and mannerisms and analysis of the explosive device.

The detonation happened one day after   the state attorney general's office   said Marshall did not plan to prosecute in vitro fertilization providers or families after a controversial Alabama Supreme Court ruling. The motive authorities attribute to the suspect has not been released.

"My staff and I are breathing a collective sigh of relief this morning knowing that this individual has been taken off the streets," Marshall said in a   statement   Wednesday. "Although more information will be provided in the weeks to come, I think it is safe to say that this was not a random act of violence. We are grateful to our federal and local partners for their assistance in this matter and are pleased that the offender faces federal charges carrying significant prison time."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Sean Treacy    3 weeks ago

Just your usual Transgender/antifa activist engaging in a little domestic terrorism

CB
Professor Principal
1.1  CB  replied to  Sean Treacy @1    3 weeks ago

Just your USUAL mocking and labeling coming from MAGAs engaging in a little added propaganda. This silly and dangerous young man can get the help (hopefully) that he needs now and he is off the streets! Nobody should support this! Since, as he states, he can not control his own violent and aggressive impulses. . . prison will suit him fine. (There will be inmates who will help him 'square' himself 'away.' 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  CB @1.1    3 weeks ago
st your USUAL mocking and labeling

Spare me. If a conservative christian awash in Proud Boys propaganda tried to blow up a Democratic AG,  the mocking and labeling would be off the charts.  Biden would be given a script to recite about how perilous the state of democracy is.  

Because the terrorist is a progressive, the story is a blip. No "christian nationalists" or "rural rage" to make broad sweeping generalizations about for months on end. Just look at how desperate progressives are to blame conservatives  for a very troubled girl committing suicide after she assaulted other girls in a bathroom, even after their lies about the story were exposed.  

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.2  CB  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.1    3 weeks ago

I have no idea what you are writing about, first of all. Then, I can only 'speak' for myself and even so about something I at least know about or follow along.

Yes, some liberal progressives 'dog' White Evangelical Christians (WEC) - because they meddle in the lives of people who simply and largely do not bother them as I can see. And, for church folks, I see WEC on Trinity Broadcast Network always risking their non-profit status (if that is what it is) by talking about political stories, interviewing politicians, and investing in political 'news' and even variety shows with political themes attached: Think culture wars.

But, as you put it, I do not have a complete understanding of this "dude's" complaint as he is allegedly a liberal but at the same time he is 'profiled' as having cross-purposes in his 'complain':

The memo alleges that law enforcement officers found that the suspect also placed stickers on state buildings "advocating for various political ideologies" the night of the explosion, including stickers promoting  [A]ntifa, anti-police and anti-Immigration and Customs Enforcement sentiments. Calvert has expressed his “belief that violence should be directed against the government, and he has described his inability to control his own violent, aggressive impulses," the memo added.

He seems. . . conflicted in his politics, in my opinion. 

In any case, my chief issue with him (as I pointed out in my comment which you glossed over or totally ignored in haste to mock me) is stated and I will restate it:

1.1  This silly and dangerous young man can get the help (hopefully) that he needs now [that] he is off the streets! Nobody should support this! Since, as he states, he can not control his own violent and aggressive impulses. . . prison will suit him fine. (There will be inmates who will help him 'square' himself 'away.')

If you can pick fault with the above quote; go ahead, but it won't make it 'faulty.'

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.3  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  CB @1.1.2    3 weeks ago
I have no idea what you are writing about, first of all.

You have no idea how the left would react if a "christian nationalist" tried to blow up an Attorney General?  

That's what you want to stick with? 

e seems. . . conflicted in his politics, in my opinion.

Seem very aligned to me. Standard progressive.  Hates police, Hates ICE, and supports Antifa. 

Igknorantzruls
Freshman Quiet
1.1.4  Igknorantzruls  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.3    3 weeks ago

What group has as of late, been the most prone to domestic violence?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.5  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  Igknorantzruls @1.1.4    3 weeks ago
What group has as of late, been the most prone to domestic violence?

Obviously, the same group that attack the AG's office. Of late, they've attacked pregnancy centers, tried to kill a Supreme Court justice, rioted for a year, chase Jewish students around campuses and harass them pretty much on a daily basis..

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.6  CB  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.5    3 weeks ago

You are clashing and folding too many narratives into a a story about a 28 years old who has stupidly committed a terrorist act and will face the consequences for those actions. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.7  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  CB @1.1.6    3 weeks ago
You are clashing and folding too many narratives into a a story

I answered a question. 

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.8  CB  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.7    3 weeks ago

Then, you are correct. There are bad actors on the progressive side and they should go home and sit down (and stay out of jail and prison too) when it can't help the situation or themselves!

Igknorantzruls
Freshman Quiet
1.1.9  Igknorantzruls  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.5    3 weeks ago
Obviously, the same group that attack the

Capitol, is where my thought process had taken me. Don't get me wrong, I agree both sides are guilty, but it seems to me, with possibly  the exception of the Unabomber, most of these previous bombings, I seem to remember coming more from the "right', though correct me if i am mistaken.

CB
Professor Principal
2  CB    3 weeks ago
  [A]ntifaanti-police and anti-Immigration and Customs Enforcement sentiments. Calvert has expressed his “belief that violence should be directed against the government, and he has described his inability to control his own violent, aggressive impulses," the memo added.

Let me 'slow' it down for you a tad: "anti-immigration," "customs enforcement," (if it is what it sounds like), and "....against the government"  - the three complaints don't seem to be progressive 'causes.' Moreover, as I stated and will repeat:

1.1  This silly and dangerous young man can get the help (hopefully) that he needs now [that] he is off the streets!

Nobody should support this!

Since, as he states, he can not control his own violent and aggressive impulses. . . prison will suit him fine. (There will be inmates who will help him 'square' himself 'away.')

I will "stick with" the above. You can continue to find fault with it, but it won't be faulty.

Apparently, you are inclined to group "all" liberals as alike—you would be wrong in doing so. I don't traffic in group-think. I agree with those I agree with (including conservatives) when it is proper and appropriate. I am not inclined or feel any pressure to make you are anybody else (here or) in the real world appeased.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  CB @2    3 weeks ago
Let me 'slow' it down for you a tad:

By all means, slow it down and take a look at exactly what he was protesting. Put the words together and get back to me. 

"anti-immigration," "customs enforcement," (if it is what it sounds like) , and "....against the government"  - the three complaints don't seem to be progressive 'causes.'

Really?  You don't think progressives oppose immigration law enforcement? You believe  it's conservatives protesting and demanding ICE be defunded?  Please provide any evidence you have of that. I'd love to see it. 

CB
Professor Principal
3  CB    3 weeks ago

Sean 2.1,

Actually, that is not how the article explains what is written on this 28 years old's gun. 'Anti-immigration" means "against" as in against immigration. Republicans are the politicians who want to shut down the southern border and finish 'walling us off' with a border wall.

Also, I don't think progressives "oppose immigration enforcement, per se," but to be honest with you it strikes me that it is how immigration is happening at the southern border that is causing the controversial 'news' on my tv set. (I don't know about yours.)

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  CB @3    3 weeks ago
Anti-immigration" means "against" as in against immigration.

Lol. try again. 

The full quote is anti-Immigration and Customs Enforcement.   Look up what Immigration and Customs Enforcement is and what it does. 

Do you think the leaders of the Abolish ICE movement, like AOC are Republicans?  

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.1  CB  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.1    3 weeks ago
[A]ntifaanti-police and anti-Immigration and Customs Enforcement sentiments.

I'm sorry. But "anti-" is clearly written into the sentence, and I am not going to belabor that point farther with you. And, I see what you did there with "Immigration and Customs Enforcement" by pretending that "anti—" is not there. Well, "and anti-immigration and. . . " emphasis on "and-and" is what is written. You really ought not to debate something if you have to change it to fit a narrative.

At best, the article writer poorly wrote the sentence and it is causing confusion for some readers as to his or her proper meaning/usage.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.1.2  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  CB @3.1.1    3 weeks ago
sorry. But " a nti-" is clearly written into the sentence, and

No kidding. It's  anti- I mmigration and C ustoms E nforcement

You keep, I hope by an honest mistake, refusing to read the entire phrase and pretend it's reads only anti-immigration, not anti- ICE the law enforcement agency that   deports illegal aliens.  

I am not going to belabor that point farther with you.

once you understand what's happening, you'd have no reason to.  

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.3  CB  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.1.2    3 weeks ago

If the thing is supposed to read "ICE" then it should be clear - it does not so it shouldn't. It's poorly written by the originator. The 'offer' on your part to extend to me some form of grace (you never ever do) signifies to me that you see the same poorly crafted sentence construction I do.

That said, I can see and understand your point (now). Thank you.

(Whatever this originator is trying to say is not plain and needed additional 'handling' by users. I don't get paid to straighten out poorly crafted sentence construction/s by writers and editors!)

I fall back on 1.1.2 at this juncture: 1.1    This silly and dangerous young man can get the help (hopefully) that he needs now [that] he is off the streets! Nobody should support this! Since, as he states, he can not control his own violent and aggressive impulses. . . prison will suit him fine. (There will be inmates who will help him 'square' himself 'away.' )

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4  Sparty On    3 weeks ago

Doh!

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
5  Hal A. Lujah    3 weeks ago

The detonation happened one day after   the state attorney general's office   said Marshall did not plan to prosecute in vitro fertilization providers or families after a controversial Alabama Supreme Court ruling. The motive authorities attribute to the suspect has not been released.

Ummm … not only is there no excuse for domestic terrorism, but this timing does not support the narrative that this is an instance liberal political violence.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5    3 weeks ago

lol. The actual evidence of his motives, which you ignore, does. 

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
6  Robert in Ohio    3 weeks ago

This guy needs to go to prison for the rest of his life, in a small cell alone forever.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7  Sparty On    3 weeks ago

Crazy doesn’t discriminate.

Igknorantzruls
Freshman Quiet
7.1  Igknorantzruls  replied to  Sparty On @7    3 weeks ago

He's got dreamy eyes though, no...?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Igknorantzruls @7.1    3 weeks ago

Maybe if you’re Jeffery Dahmer …..