╌>

Biden Appointee at Federal Reserve With Questionable Academic Record Is Now Accused of Plagiarism

Category:  News & Politics

By:  s  •  3 weeks ago  •  69 comments

Biden Appointee at Federal Reserve With Questionable Academic Record Is Now Accused of Plagiarism
never published a peer-reviewed paper on economics

Joe Biden appointed to a 15-year term on the fed an "economist" who had never published a peer-reviewed paper on economics. And the papers she did publish (on race), it turns out, at times plagiarized and often recycled language from co-authors' old work. https://t.co/fy40GaxMv8

— Luke Rosiak (@lukerosiak)   April 10, 2024

From the   Daily Wire :

Trouble At The Fed: Investigation Into Lisa Cook’s Academic Record Raises Questions

Lisa D. Cook is one of the world’s most powerful economists. She taught economics at Harvard University and Michigan State University and served on the Obama administration’s Council of Economic Advisers before being appointed, in 2022, to the Federal Reserve Board of Governors, which controls the interest rates and money supply of the United States.

Despite her pedigree, questions have long persisted about her academic record. Her publication history is remarkably thin for a tenured professor, and her published work largely focuses on race activism rather than on rigorous, quantitative economics. Her nomination to the Fed required Vice President Kamala Harris to cast a tie-breaking vote; by contrast, her predecessor in the seat, Janet Yellen, now Treasury secretary, was confirmed unanimously.

The quality of her scholarship has also received criticism. Her most heralded work, 2014’s “ Violence and Economic Activity: Evidence from African American Patents, 1870 to 1940 ,” examined the number of patents by black inventors in the past, concluding that the number plummeted in 1900 because of lynchings and discrimination. Other researchers soon discovered that the reason for the sudden drop in 1900 was that one of the databases Cook relied on stopped collecting data in that year. The true number of black patents, one subsequent study  found , might be as much as 70 times greater than Cook’s figure, effectively debunking the study’s premise.

Cook also seems to have consistently inflated her own credentials. In 2022, investigative journalist Christopher Brunet pointed out that, despite billing herself as a macroeconomist, Cook had  never  published a peer-reviewed macroeconomics article and had misrepresented her publication history in her CV, claiming that she had published an article in the journal  American Economic Review . In truth, the article was published in  American Economic Review Papers and Proceedings , a less prestigious, non-peer-reviewed magazine.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1  author  Sean Treacy    3 weeks ago

Her appointment was totally merit based though..

. Her most heralded work, 2014’s “   Violence and Economic Activity: Evidence from African American Patents, 1870 to 1940  ,” examined the number of patents by black inventors in the past, concluding that the number plummeted in 1900 because of lynchings and discrimination. Other researchers soon discovered that the reason for the sudden drop in 1900 was that one of the databases Cook relied on stopped collecting data in that year.

That's the work of a first class economic mind! And considering the President who appointed her, lying about her credentials and plagiarizing others work is just fitting in! Plus, it's not like the fed is important anyway. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.1  MrFrost  replied to  Sean Treacy @1    3 weeks ago

That's one heck of an echo chamber you live in. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.1  author  Sean Treacy  replied to  MrFrost @1.1    3 weeks ago
hat's one heck of an echo chamber you live in. 

Another   top quality rebuttal.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.1.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  MrFrost @1.1    3 weeks ago

More fraud in academia and our leaders fall for it.

CB
Professor Principal
1.2  CB  replied to  Sean Treacy @1    3 weeks ago

It's all good! You don't have any respect for any merits of the present president either (though he won on the merit of beating Trump in 2020).

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.2.1  Greg Jones  replied to  CB @1.2    3 weeks ago

There is nothing remotely meritorious about Biden

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
1.2.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @1.2    3 weeks ago

[]

CB
Professor Principal
1.2.3  CB  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2.1    3 weeks ago

Thank you for that biased opinion against the man. A good man, no doubt.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.2.4  Ronin2  replied to  CB @1.2.3    3 weeks ago

A good man that violated the law by holding classified documents from both his time as a Senator and VP. Breaking chain of custody several times with them; and sharing them with his ghost writer. Thankfully Brandon and his ghost writer were let off the hook by a Establishment moron named Hur- appointed by Garland, who knows his morons well.

Brandon and his family have received millions from China, Russia, Ukraine, and ME countries in return for political access. 

I guess the left only has standards when it comes to Republicans/Conservatives.

CB
Professor Principal
1.2.5  CB  replied to  Ronin2 @1.2.4    3 weeks ago

Wow. The bias is thick in that comment: I literally got 'stuck' while trying to get through it . jrSmiley_92_smiley_image.png

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2  author  Sean Treacy    3 weeks ago
Given her lack of any substantive work (and rampant plagiarism) , how was she ever offered a professorship, let alone made one of the most powerful people in the world?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3  Vic Eldred    3 weeks ago

Her approval was on a narrow, party-line vote of 51-50, with Vice President Kamala Harris casting the decisive vote.

Senate approves Lisa Cook as first Black woman to Fed post | AP News

That is how important elections are.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
3.1  Snuffy  replied to  Vic Eldred @3    3 weeks ago

I'm so tired of check-the-box appointments. Would love to see a return to the day of the merit appointments. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3.1.1  MrFrost  replied to  Snuffy @3.1    3 weeks ago

I'm so tired of check-the-box appointments. Would love to see a return to the day of the merit appointments. 

Is she not qualified? 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
3.1.2  Snuffy  replied to  MrFrost @3.1.1    3 weeks ago

Didn't read the seed I see.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3.1.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  MrFrost @3.1.1    3 weeks ago
Is she not qualified? 

Apparently not.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1.4  Greg Jones  replied to  MrFrost @3.1.1    3 weeks ago

Not a bit qualified, just another diversity hire.

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.5  CB  replied to  Snuffy @3.1    3 weeks ago

It's okay. We didn't get any support when we told conservatives their 'hires' and 'staffing' were not up to 'snuff' either. And, many of those conservatives went on to have careers, even full careers.

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.6  CB  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1.4    3 weeks ago

Don't put down diversity (hires), because we all started somewhere and somebody saw beyond a few shortcomings to get us all there.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3.1.7  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @3.1.6    3 weeks ago

That has served Lisa Cook very well.

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.8  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.1.7    3 weeks ago

Good. Now work to get rid of her after an official review of the issue. Or, let her get on with her job.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3.1.9  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @3.1.8    3 weeks ago
Or, let her get on with her job

Exactly as she does it so well.

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.10  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.1.9    3 weeks ago
Lisa D. Cook is one of the world’s most powerful economists. She taught economics at Harvard University and Michigan State University and served on the Obama administration’s Council of Economic Advisers before being appointed, in 2022, to the Federal Reserve Board of Governors, which controls the interest rates and money supply of the United States.

I have no clue how well Ms. Cook does her day job; this is my introduction to her. But from the information above she apparently has been in the economics field for several working years. She might be qualified (as any/many) by now.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3.1.11  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @3.1.10    3 weeks ago

"Despite her pedigree, questions have long persisted about her academic record. Her publication history is remarkably thin for a tenured professor, and her published work largely focuses on race activism rather than on rigorous, quantitative economics. Her nomination to the Fed required Vice President Kamala Harris to cast  a tie-breaking vote; by contrast, her predecessor in the seat, Janet Yellen, now Treasury secretary, was  confirmed unanimously."

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.12  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.1.11    3 weeks ago

I am sure MAGAs will find all her imperfections and 'totally' ignore any perfections that count. :) Got to divide us, of course. And being that she is a black woman. . . just means none of us are any better than any other. Keep up the good work there, Drinker!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.13  Vic Eldred  replied to  Snuffy @3.1    2 weeks ago
Would love to see a return to the day of the merit appointments. 

The amazing part is that there are plenty of qualified minority candidates.

The litmus test for Biden seems to be left leaning and dumb.

CB
Professor Principal
3.2  CB  replied to  Vic Eldred @3    3 weeks ago

MAGAs know how important elections are already, seeing as it is elections that gave us six conservatives on the SCOTUS this time around.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3.2.1  Ronin2  replied to  CB @3.2    3 weeks ago

It also gave us Democrats desperate to pack the Supreme Court and federalize all election laws.

Democrats only want one party rule; and are taking steps to bring it about. Including their wide open southern border and failing to enforce our immigration laws.

CB
Professor Principal
3.2.2  CB  replied to  Ronin2 @3.2.1    3 weeks ago

That comment deserves. . . nothing.

JBB
Professor Principal
4  JBB    3 weeks ago

So, she is accused of using some of her "Co-author 's Words"? Who does not understand that is what having a "Co-author" means?

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.1  Snuffy  replied to  JBB @4    3 weeks ago

Some homework would help you here...

In a series of academic papers spanning more than a decade, Cook appears to have copied language from other scholars without proper quotation and duplicated her own work and that of coauthors in multiple academic journals without proper attribution. Both practices appear to violate Michigan State University’s own written  academic  standards. Trouble At The Fed: Investigation Into Lisa Cook’s Academic Record Raises Questions | The Daily Wire

So copying a co-authors words by itself is not plagiarism, if you don't provide the proper quotation then it is. Simple enough to understand.

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1.1  JBB  replied to  Snuffy @4.1    3 weeks ago

Words of credited "Co-Authors" need not be encased in quotation marks and cannot be plagiarize by the definition of "Co-Author"...

Kavika
Professor Principal
5  Kavika     3 weeks ago

In months of deep research on this situation the final audit shows that from 1492 to 1961 99,9% of white men got the job they wanted without competition from minorities who were not allowed to compete or hold those jobs. 

What an amazing turn of events that has just taken place. Isn't 'Merica great.

I wish that someone could show me the day and date that ''merit'' appointment started and the day that they ended.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.1  author  Sean Treacy  replied to  Kavika @5    3 weeks ago
ws that from 1492 to 1961 99,9% of white men got the job they wanted without competition from minorities who were not allowed to compete or hold those jobs. 

Whatever fables you need to tell yourself to justify racism....

There was racism before, therefore racism forever! 

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1    3 weeks ago

Thank you so much, but I think with that tale you did try to justify racism. You must have skipped school when they taught about slavery, manifest destiny, Jim Crow, internment camps, and exclusion laws...you missed a lot of school, Sean.

There was racism before, therefore racism forever! 

Wow, is that your new battled cry?

JBB
Professor Principal
5.1.2  JBB  replied to  Kavika @5.1.1    3 weeks ago

George Wallace's infamous racist tagline was, "Segregation Today!, Segregation Tomorrow!, Segregation Forever!"

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
5.1.3  Ronin2  replied to  JBB @5.1.2    3 weeks ago

You do know that George Wallace was a Democrat?

American  Democratic  politician who was a four-time governor of  Alabama  (1963–67, 1971–79, and 1983–87) and who led the South’s fight against federally ordered racial  integration  in the 1960s.

Glad you are finally admitting how racist Democrats are.

JBB
Professor Principal
5.1.4  JBB  replied to  Ronin2 @5.1.3    2 weeks ago

MAYBE SO, 60 YEARS AGO...

In 1964, but it is the gop today in 2024...

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5.1.5  MrFrost  replied to  Ronin2 @5.1.3    2 weeks ago

Glad you are finally admitting how racist Democrats are.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1.6  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.1    2 weeks ago

That is exactly what it is.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Kavika @5    3 weeks ago

How is this related to Lisa D Cook?

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.2.1  Kavika   replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.2    3 weeks ago

To most the connection is easily made, to others, it's a struggle. 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.2.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Kavika @5.2.1    3 weeks ago

Exactly, I’m struggling here.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.2.3  Kavika   replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.2.2    3 weeks ago

Never give up the struggle, drinker. Remember you shall overcome some day, well maybe you might.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.2.4  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Kavika @5.2.3    3 weeks ago

Thanks for the inspiration.  I'll keep doing my best to understand some of your comments.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.2.5  Kavika   replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.2.4    2 weeks ago
 I'll keep doing my best to understand some of your comments.

Excellent choice, drinker. I'm not one to waste time on quitters.

CB
Professor Principal
5.3  CB  replied to  Kavika @5    3 weeks ago
In months of deep research on this situation the final audit shows that from 1492 to 1961 99,9% of white men got the job they wanted without competition from minorities who were not allowed to compete or hold those jobs. 

It is rich that certain 'whites' want to virtue signal in the direction of minorities nowadays, seeing as how determined certain whites are to put another certain 'white' back into the White House. . . when he can't be convinced of the merits on which he lost an honest and fair election.  Gasp! It's a dirty word: TRIBALISM. But, don't look over 'there' (be eerily silent . . .) instead look over 'here' (and shout it from the rooftops).

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.3.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @5.3    3 weeks ago

Exactly, whataboutism.

CB
Professor Principal
5.3.2  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.3.1    3 weeks ago

It's not whataboutism. It's an observation of certain whites attempting to go through other peoples' work and living-while taking a "fare thee well" for those they see as in their tribe (like 'That guy.' )

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.3.3  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @5.3.2    3 weeks ago

It's an observation of certain whites attempting to go through other peoples' work and living-while taking a "fare thee well" for those they see as in their tribe (like 'That guy.' )

I have no idea of what your saying or what it has to do with Lisa Cook.

CB
Professor Principal
5.3.4  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.3.3    3 weeks ago

No bother. No merit points for you this time around! jrSmiley_123_smiley_image.gif

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.3.5  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @5.3.4    3 weeks ago

I guess not, you’ve cleverly disguised any point. 

CB
Professor Principal
5.3.6  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5.3.5    3 weeks ago

If you feel that strongly about it, then you should not have written 5.3.1.

CB
Professor Principal
6  CB    3 weeks ago
The true number of black patents, one subsequent study  found , might be as much as 70 times greater than Cook’s figure, effectively debunking the study’s premise.

We will have to figure out how a "true number. . . ." can at the same time "might be (a supposing of)." Moreover, how a supposition can debunk anything.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
6.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @6    3 weeks ago

We will have to figure out how a "true number. . . ." 

Go figure.   In her “Violence and Economic Activity: Evidence from African American Patents, 1870 to 1940,” examined the number of patents by black inventors in the past, concluding that the number plummeted in 1900 because of lynchings and discrimination.  You can find a much larger "true number" here:

CB
Professor Principal
6.1.1  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @6.1    3 weeks ago
The quality of her scholarship has also received criticism. Her most heralded work, 2014’s “  Violence and Economic Activity: Evidence from African American Patents, 1870 to 1940  ,” examined the number of patents by black inventors in the past, concluding that the number plummeted in 1900 because of lynchings and discrimination. Other researchers soon discovered that the reason for the sudden drop in 1900 was that one of the databases Cook relied on stopped collecting data in that year. The true number of black patents, one subsequent study   found  , might be as much as 70 times greater than Cook’s figure, effectively debunking the study’s premise.

Still appears to be a sentence about speculation ("might be as much as 70 times greater. . . ."). The concern I have is 70 times is a high number to write down without any specificity. 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
6.1.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @6.1.1    3 weeks ago

Did you bother to read the link that I posted?

CB
Professor Principal
6.1.3  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @6.1.2    3 weeks ago

I will bother with a question on this occasion. I opted not to read the link. As I figured since you are carrying on with the theme: It would be meritorious of you to specify what it is you want me to see. 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
6.1.4  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @6.1.3    3 weeks ago

Don’t waste your time on a right wing, racist institution like Brookings.

CB
Professor Principal
6.1.5  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @6.1.4    3 weeks ago
I figured since you are carrying on with the theme: It would be meritorious of you to specify what it is you want me to see. 

Wow. I really have to ask twice!  jrSmiley_92_smiley_image.png

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
6.1.6  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @6.1.5    3 weeks ago
Wow. I really have to ask twice!

Yea, I know how that feels.

CB
Professor Principal
6.1.7  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @6.1.6    3 weeks ago

So you can't even be bothered to make a point. . . you pretend to be making through a link. Got it. No merit point for you!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.8  Sparty On  replied to  CB @6.1.7    2 weeks ago

[Deleted][]

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
6.1.9  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @6.1.7    2 weeks ago

So you can't even be bothered

Not for you, you had me on the other side too many times.

CB
Professor Principal
6.1.10  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @6.1.9    2 weeks ago

I have no idea of what your saying or what it has to do with Lisa Cook.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
6.1.11  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @6.1.10    2 weeks ago

It means that since you almost never answer my questions, I not very motivated to answer yours.

CB
Professor Principal
6.1.12  CB  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @6.1.11    2 weeks ago

I have not asked you any question/s. ;)  Nor do I plan on doing so.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.13  Sparty On  replied to  Sparty On @6.1.8    2 weeks ago

[]

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
6.1.14  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  CB @6.1.12    2 weeks ago
Wow. I really have to ask twice!