On CREATIVE ARTS/THURSDAY/FRIDAY … Can't Prove It, But …

By:  A. Macarthur  •  one week ago  •  103 comments

On CREATIVE ARTS/THURSDAY/FRIDAY … Can't Prove It, But …

Leave a comment to auto-join group CREATIVE ARTS ON THE NEWSTALKERS

CREATIVE ARTS ON THE NEWSTALKERS

I've been photographing a family of RED FOXES for roughly two weeks, making myself as inconspicuous as possible, but still, not eluding their keen awareness entirely.

Initially, any time I first entered the woods -- almost 100 yards from their den, if they were out, they spotted me almost immediately and disappeared. Otherwise, it was get behind a tree that offered a good shooting angle and shoot in bursts of 10 frames per second … and hope for at least one good shot out of every ten recorded.

But, in the last few days, although I know the foxes are aware of my presence, they seem to accept that presence with a sense that I'm not there to harm them -- as they go about their business, often staring at me directly. I CAN'T PROVE IT, but this seems to be the case.

Most often the family is around the outside of the den at 7:00 PM or later; the light being low at that hour, I shoot at ISO numbers that enable me to get the shot (this objective pertains above all else). A "grainy" image beats the hell out of no image!

original

Last evening, the "dog" (male) came to the den with one of the kits and a squirrel dinner.

© A. Mac/A.G.

A. Macarthur
1  author  A. Macarthur    one week ago

For a life-long city boy, I am blessed with my simultaneous life in the forests of Pennsylvania and its wildlife. More FOX FOTOS LATER.

Please check out my FoxArt at the top of the article.

Post what ya' got!

1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  A. Macarthur @1    one week ago

Great shot of the Father and Kit foxes having dinner. And the artwork of the Fox at the top of the page is truly beautiful.

evilgenius
2  evilgenius    one week ago

Beautiful shot of the foxes. We had some neighborhood city foxes here a few years ago, but the DNR live trapped them and now we are over run by rabbits.

As for images... Gooseberry Falls is a MN State Park on the North Shore of Lake Superior. Here is a shot of the lower and middle falls respectively. They were taken on Monday using my new set of Neutral Density filters.

2.1  Kavika   replied to  evilgenius @2    one week ago

Beautiful photos EG.

I've been there many times. I have some cousins that live around Silver Bay.

evilgenius
2.1.1  evilgenius  replied to  Kavika @2.1    one week ago

We were also at Black Beach on Monday. LOL!

2.1.2  Kavika   replied to  evilgenius @2.1.1    one week ago

Another great photo EG...

A. Macarthur
2.2  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  evilgenius @2    one week ago

Nice work, EG. Check for a couple of water spots on your filter or lens in the bottom picture … we outdoor photographers get them a lot -- usually a soft cloth will remove them.

evilgenius
2.2.1  evilgenius  replied to  A. Macarthur @2.2    one week ago
Check for a couple of water spots

I noticed them after editing and then forgot to go back and do a reedit.

2.3  Raven Wing  replied to  evilgenius @2    one week ago

Very beautiful pictures EG. The one at the top is especially elegant. The falls spilling down into the rock bed below is very Spiritual.

2.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  evilgenius @2    one week ago

What is it about waterfalls that so attract people to them?

igknorantzrulz
2.4.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.4    one week ago

Falling Water...?

2.4.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.4    one week ago
What is it about waterfalls that so attract people to them?

I love see the water falls. However, not in person, or I would have to make a trip to the bushes every ten minutes for a potty run from the sound of the tinkling and/or rushing water. jrSmiley_30_smiley_image.gifjrSmiley_44_smiley_image.gif

2.4.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Raven Wing @2.4.2    one week ago

LOL. I can't pour a glass of water from my cooler without a similar result.

2.4.4  Raven Wing  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.4.3    one week ago
I can't pour a glass of water from my cooler without a similar result.

LOL!!

One year for Christmas my Mother gave me one of those table top waterfalls that is supposed to make you calm and relaxed. The tinkling and gurgling sound of the water in that thing kept me running back and forth to the Loo and I got tired out just from running back and forth to the Loo.

I finally had to give it back to my Mother, who gave it to my SIL for the same reason I had to give it up. In turn, my SIL gave it to her Mother who loved it and really enjoyed it. I was glad I didn't visit her often or I would spend most of my time there sitting on the throne in the Loo.

2.4.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Raven Wing @2.4.4    one week ago

LOL.  A portable urination facilitator.

2.4.6  Raven Wing  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.4.5    one week ago

Indeed. I often cursed my Mother for potty training me by turning the cold water faucet on slowly to encourage me to go. Now every time I start to do dishes and run the water to fill up the dish pan I wind up having to run to the Loo before I can even start to do the dishes. jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

3  Kavika     one week ago

A waterfall on the Hilo side of the Big Island.

3.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @3    one week ago
A waterfall on the Hilo side of the Big Island.

Wow! That is a very tall water fall. And falling from so far up into such a small lake below. The water fall itself is very inspirational. Just beautiful.

3.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @3    one week ago

I spent little time on the Hilo side, (most of it on the Kona side) and never saw that waterfall.  In China, this one at the Geological Park near Luoyang is similar, if less dramatic.

4  MUVA    one week ago

We raised the floor 2 inches 384

4.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  MUVA @4    one week ago

How did you do that?

4.1.1  MUVA  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1    one week ago

We cut the floor out and re glassed in core board this boat wanted to swamp while being towed behind his 80 ft offshore fishing boat moving the floor up help drain better we also installed a tow bit384

4.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  MUVA @4.1.1    one week ago

Aha!  Got it.  Good work - it looks great.

5  MUVA    one week ago

384 A little welding on the the tower this is some of what we do

6  MUVA    one week ago

384 We stripped this one with soda to repaint

6.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  MUVA @6    one week ago

Which soda?  I've heard that Coca-Cola can remove rust.

6.1.1  MUVA  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1    one week ago

It is powered like baking soda cuts good at one time we used sand.

6.1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1    3 days ago

In high school, my chemistry teacher put a rusty nail in a bottle of coke at the beginning of the term. Byt the end of the term, the coke did indeed dissolve the rust.  But it also dissolved the nail as well.

6.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6.1.2    3 days ago

Think of what it does to your stomach and other organs that process liquids.  Well, actually, maybe you SHOULDN'T think of what it does.

6.1.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1.3    3 days ago

I know what it can do and stopped drinking soda, except maybe one or two a year.  My husband was worse than I was and I got him off of his soda habit also.

7  MUVA    one week ago

A couple trout we caught a couple weeks ago 2 hours from water to table384

A. Macarthur
7.1  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  MUVA @7    one week ago

Up north, we call those Weakfish.

It Is ME
7.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  A. Macarthur @7.1    one week ago
Up north, we call those Weakfish.

Down South too. jrSmiley_79_smiley_image.gif

7.1.2  MUVA  replied to  A. Macarthur @7.1    one week ago

We call them specs or speckle trout.

A. Macarthur
7.1.3  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  MUVA @7.1.2    one week ago

They are actually more closely related to salt water bass than to fresh water trout. The name Weakfish is attributable to soft mouth tissues through which hooks tear causing them to sometimes break away.

7.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  MUVA @7    one week ago

Reminiscent of my days at my lakeside home in Ontario - bass caught in the morning were in the pan for lunch.

8  Raven Wing    one week ago

Happy Thursday everyone....

8.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Raven Wing @8    one week ago

Looking at me?  "Here's looking at you, kid."

8.1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8.1    one week ago

Good one, Buzz. "Casablanca"

8.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Raven Wing @8.1.1    one week ago

Yep.

A. Macarthur
9  author  A. Macarthur    one week ago

Just got this one before sunset.

original

© A. Mac/A.G.

9.1  Raven Wing  replied to  A. Macarthur @9    one week ago

How adorable. What a sweet little face.

shona1
9.1.1  shona1  replied to  Raven Wing @9.1    one week ago

A/noon....Have to admit cuteness overload Raven...Afraid I could not shoot them but my brother does as he has seen the damage they do to our Fauna...

9.1.2  Raven Wing  replied to  shona1 @9.1.1    one week ago

I could not shoot one either, shona. Even an adult, but, especially not a young one. I guess every area has their kind of pest. For me with my garden it was groundhogs. I had to keep my dog on a chain when it was out in the yard to do her business after I moved to a new house and planted my garden, as there was no fencing around the yard. So I had to put the front yard fence up first to keep the other dogs in the neighborhood out of my yard and leaving me their unappreciated gifts to clean up.

That is when the groundhogs ran wild in the back where my garden was until I could get it fenced off.

The dang groundhogs would taunt my dog by hanging out at the end of her chain and teasing her, knowing she could not get them.

You should have seen to look on their faces after I took the dog off the chain and the first time they came into the yard after that. I swear those groundhogs crapped themselves all the way over to the fence and tried to climb it to get out. They never can in the yard again after that. jrSmiley_55_smiley_image.gifjrSmiley_51_smiley_image.gif

shona1
9.2  shona1  replied to  A. Macarthur @9    one week ago

A/noon Mac...Are Foxes not regarded as pests or vermin over there?? And are they protected??? Here they are shot on sight and regarded as a pest. Do the foxes have any predators there Bears, Coyotes etc....

9.2.1  Kavika   replied to  shona1 @9.2    one week ago

Fox is native to North America so they are not a pest, they are not protected. In fact they help keep rodents under control.

Since they were an introduced species to Australia I can understand the damage they do. There are many introduced species in Australia and NZ that have devasted the local/native population of animals/birds.

9.2.2  MUVA  replied to  Kavika @9.2.1    one week ago

We had a fox raise it's kits under a conex box at the store wipe out every dove in the yard about 15 in a matter of weeks.

9.2.3  Kavika   replied to  MUVA @9.2.2    one week ago

Yes, they will do that as well. A much bigger problem for birds are cats. Feral cats are very destructive of the bird and small mammal population.

A. Macarthur
9.2.4  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  shona1 @9.2    one week ago
Are Foxes not regarded as pests or vermin over there??

Good to see you, shona and hope you are doing well.

Let me answer you question as the BIOLOGIST me.

Humans destroy natural habitat to create "civilization" and in the process, either destroy or compromise indigenous flora and fauna; animals like foxes must then find other habitat, or, do what they must to survive in their compromised habitat … like become the "fox in the henhouse," a.k.a. "THE PEST".

If all of the foxes in a compromised ("civilized") area are shot and killed, the NEW "PESTS" WILL BE THE RATS AND MICE and other CONSUMER ORGANISMS they ate prior to being killed off, the rats, etc. that begin to overrun farms and other "civilized" areas, get into homes, spread disease, etc. .

To the GREATEST "PEST" of all time, Homo sapiens, anything and everything that gets in its path of "destruction-in-the-name-of-'progress'-and-civilization" … is deemed a pest and must be destroyed! And we "humans," do the same to other human beings by creating permanent underclasses of people, withholding resources, discriminating … then deeming them as "pests' or worse!

Getting down from my soapbox momentarily, but first, Trump pulled out of the Paris Accord, calls climate change a "hoax," calls COVID-19 a "hoax", and two days ago, the "hoax" rain in Michigan causes two dams to burst, flooding out some 40,000 people, who, then, needed to be evacuated MAINTAINING SOCIAL DISTANCING because of the "hoax COVID-19" … most of the evacuees being elderly!

Yeah … those pest foxes …

Be well, shona.

10  Buzz of the Orient    one week ago

No foxes to be seen here, but there are many trees...

Trees   (Joyce Kilmer. 1886–1918)

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the sweet earth's flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

10.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @10    one week ago

A great poem, and one of my favorites. And it fits very well with the beautiful photos.

A. Macarthur
10.2  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @10    one week ago

Really nice visualization, Buzz!

11  Raven Wing    one week ago

Here's a Friday special for your enjoyment....

Peace.

11.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Raven Wing @11    one week ago

Don't bogart that pipe, my friend.   Pass it over to me....    jrSmiley_34_smiley_image.gif

11.1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @11.1    one week ago

I don't think it is peyote, but, who knows. jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif

A. Macarthur
11.2  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  Raven Wing @11    one week ago

An outstanding Native American genre work!

11.2.1  Raven Wing  replied to  A. Macarthur @11.2    one week ago

Thanks Mac.

11.3  Kavika   replied to  Raven Wing @11    one week ago

Waanakin (peace) The Medicine Pipe, often mistakenly called the ''Peace Pipe''.

Excellent RW.

11.3.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @11.3    one week ago

Thank you Kavika.

For those who did not know, it got the name "Peace Pipe" from the meetings between the Native Americans and the White officials or officers where the pipe was smoked by all in attendance as a way to seal the treaties or other types of deals that were made between the two sides.

13  MUVA    one week ago

384384 Back door of condo snowshoe

evilgenius
14  evilgenius    one week ago

Black Sand Beach at Silver Bay, MN

The top shot is without an ND filter the bottom with an ND filter.

14.1  Kavika   replied to  evilgenius @14    one week ago

Great shots, brings back some memories having spent more than a few days on those beaches.

14.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @14.1    one week ago

The only black sand beach I was ever at was on the Big Island - so it was really lava rock sand.

14.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  evilgenius @14    one week ago

Which one is more accurate colour-wise?

evilgenius
14.2.1  evilgenius  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @14.2    4 days ago

The bottom one is probably more color accurate.

14.2.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  evilgenius @14.2.1    3 days ago

That's interesting.  I would have thought it to be the other way around.

15  MUVA    one week ago

384 Instrument control and gun mount install 384 port eng replaced it went boom384

16  MUVA    one week ago

Fly by wire retro fix for second station384

17  MUVA    one week ago

The people’s fish on my Christmas tree384

18  MUVA    one week ago

The old homestead 384

18.1  MUVA  replied to  MUVA @18    one week ago

19  MUVA    one week ago

Gun mount install  384

A. Macarthur
20  author  A. Macarthur    one week ago

We're looking good … let's keep it going! Waterfalls, boats, fishing, Native American theme, foxes …

original

© A. Mac/A.G.

evilgenius
21  evilgenius    one week ago

Split Rock Lighthouse from the roadside rest stop @ 150mm

Kathleen
22  Kathleen    one week ago

This is a picture of my red azalea bush that bloomed a week ago. I sure wish they would stay like that, they don't keep their flowers very long. It's taken inside through the window and screen.

Kathleen
23  Kathleen    one week ago

23.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kathleen @23    one week ago

The cloud behind the barren tree has an interesting effect.

Kathleen
23.1.1  Kathleen  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @23.1    one week ago

Actually it’s the back of a wooden carving of a Indian head with a tall feather. I will get a front pic of it in a day or two.

23.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kathleen @23.1.1    one week ago

Okay, I'm confused. I thought the photo was of a road running from left to right and behind it is a,sunset with a couple of barren trees and a couple of poles silhouetted.

Kathleen
23.1.3  Kathleen  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @23.1.2    one week ago

Yep.. it is.. it’s just that odd shaped pole that I want to get a pic of to show what it is.

Kathleen
24  Kathleen    one week ago

Kathleen
24.1  Kathleen  replied to  Kathleen @24    one week ago

This picture was taken Christmas on the boardwalk.

25  Raven Wing    one week ago

Since this is Friday I'll add another to the mix...

A. Macarthur
25.1  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  Raven Wing @25    one week ago

Great addition.

25.1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  A. Macarthur @25.1    one week ago

Thanks Mac.

26  MUVA    one week ago

The dingy384

26.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  MUVA @26    one week ago

That's one hell of a dinghy.  I thought dinghies were small boats tied behind ones like that one.

26.1.1  MUVA  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @26.1    one week ago

We serviced the boat on top you can barely see.

26.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  MUVA @26.1.1    one week ago

The dark grey mass at the top left corner of the cabin?

26.1.3  MUVA  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @26.1.2    one week ago

You can just see the end of it behind the flying bridge it's a 13 whaler sport we were the boston whaler dealer for 55 years and sold a lot  of 13 for dinghies.

26.1.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  MUVA @26.1.3    6 days ago

Ah yes, I now see that he grey mass is in the background, not on the boat, and I can see the prow of the dinghy sticking out on the right, just behind the bridge.

Kathleen
26.2  Kathleen  replied to  MUVA @26    one week ago

Is that your boat Muva?

Its a nice one...

26.2.1  MUVA  replied to  Kathleen @26.2    one week ago

No we put the dingy back on the upper deck yesterday it's a boat we service.

27  MUVA    one week ago

1961 Hansen 50/50384

28  Kavika     one week ago

The waterfall is just above Lake Tahoe.

The women in the lower right of the photo gives you a good idea of the size of the waterfall.

Shortly after this photo was taken the women had to be rescued. Mist and the splashing of the water had made the rocks very dangerous and falling into that water would have been the end of her. The water is very very cold.

28.1  Kavika   replied to  Kavika @28    one week ago

The waterfall is at Fallen Leaf Lake close to Lake Tahoe.

28.1.1  MUVA  replied to  Kavika @28.1    one week ago

I bet that water is cold.

28.1.2  Kavika   replied to  MUVA @28.1.1    one week ago

Icy cold.

A. Macarthur
29  author  A. Macarthur    one week ago

Editorial Comment.

© A. Mac/A.G.

30  MUVA    one week ago

384 This my little boat a 17 whaler this is the before and after.384

30.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  MUVA @30    6 days ago

Wow.  How does a motor get to look as bad as that - your efforts had amazing effect.  My neighbour at my lakeside home had a boat like that (the "after" picture, not the "before" one, LOL)

30.1.1  MUVA  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @30.1    6 days ago

I changed the motor the mercury it came with caught fire.I bought the boat from the insurance company and install a motor I restored and repaired re gel coated the stern I took the picture yesterday.

31  Buzz of the Orient    6 days ago

For Memorial Day - Poppies from the Pudong area of Shanghai.

igknorantzrulz