Baron Creek

Who's Driving the Bus?

By:  Baron Creek  •  Nonsense and Ramblings  •  6 months ago  •  10 comments

Who's Driving the Bus?
Photo courtesy of GPD.

The B.L.S. has released another month of data . How many guesses do you need to determine direction of prices?

The Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers (CPI-U) increased 0.6 percent in March on a seasonally adjusted basis after rising 0.4 percent in February, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today. The March 1-month increase was the largest rise since a 0.6-percent increase in August 2012. Over the last 12 months, the all items index increased 2.6 percent before seasonal adjustment. The Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers (CPI-U) increased 2.6 percent over the last 12 months. The Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W) increased 3.0 percent over the last 12 months. The Chained Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers (C-CPI-U) increased 2.5 percent over the last 12 months.

The R-CPI-E is 2.5% YoY. It should once again be noted that prices dropped at the onset of the Covid-19 pandemic and shutdowns, which bottomed in April and remained flat on the May, 2020 report.

My inflation is a 2.3% increase over the past 12 months. The main difference between me and the B.L.S. numbers would fall in the gasoline part. I filled up my car with gasoline last week, which was the first time since early January. I spend about 1/7 the amount on gasoline that you average Americans do.

Onto the covid vaccinations...

I had dropped the distribution numbers from the chart, as the distribution had remained above necessary targets for the past couple of weeks. (Just in time for the J&J confusion). Still the rate of vaccinations is trending upward and if maintained... bodes well for July. I am struggling to understand the high number awaiting 2nd dose, unless there are people skipping the second dose or possibly the 2nd dose being deliberately delayed, etc..

I keep hearing of worries regarding vaccine hesitancy, due to many appointments going unfilled. However, I suspect this might be due to so many places now taking appointments. As I stated... the vaccination trend does seem to continue upward. Not sure how the J&J confusion will impact.

CAUTION: RANT TO FOLLOW...

A few weeks back fake news dug up an old report from Sloan Kettering Institute. This report was used to mislead people into believing the Covid-19 mRNA vaccines could cause cancer. Sloan Kettering Institute had to release additional information about the variety of RNA and how the covid-19 mRNA vaccines were not in the same category as the potential cancer causing RNA.

Of course, none of the updated information made into the fake news stream and the anti-vaxxers insisted their "cause" was validated. So much so that many of these vaccine hesitant individuals opted for the J&J vaccine.

The anti-vaxxers have now been handed another gift. The J&J announcement could not have been more screwed up... If I had been in charge. I mean who is driving the bus on this thing? This reminds me of the charter bus driver with "THINK" painted on the side and deciding to enter a drive thru only Taco Bell, and bottoming out on the steep incline. END OF RANT!

Actually, thinking about that bus... cheered me up.

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder

Baron Creek
Junior Participates
1  author  Baron Creek    6 months ago

I'm glad I'm retired and living a hermits' life. I'd hate to have some of the stupid things I did and can still do... show up on social media.

1stwarrior
Professor Guide
2  1stwarrior    6 months ago

Not only that, but went to Burger King today to get a Whopper w/cheese & bacon.  Prior to the Pandemic, I would buy them at $2.85 - just the burger.  Today, I bought one - just the burger - and paid $6.51.

Not only that, but -

3/4” Plywood Standard:
March 2020 - $37.98 /sheet
February 2021 - $72.49 /sheet
March 2021 - $83.49 /sheet
April 2021 - $95.98 /sheet
(Copied from a Real Estate site and the price is from Canada)
So, who is driving the bus???

Baron Creek
Junior Participates
2.1  author  Baron Creek  replied to  1stwarrior @2    6 months ago
So, who is driving the bus???

The producers had been absorbing the ever rising costs, but have apparently figured out the stimulus money is burning a hole in our pockets. That and house construction is off the charts.

Professor Principal
2.1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Baron Creek @2.1    6 months ago
the stimulus money is burning a hole in our pockets.

Pretty much!

MonsterMash
Sophomore Participates
2.1.2  MonsterMash  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.1    6 months ago
the stimulus money is burning a hole in our pockets.
Pretty much!

It hasn't burnt a hole in my pocket, all my stimulus money went into my savings account.

Professor Principal
2.1.3  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  MonsterMash @2.1.2    6 months ago

Well, that is the smart thing to do, and what we did, too.

Professor Principal
3  Perrie Halpern R.A.    6 months ago

The inflation rate with food is insane. Each week I get less and less food for the same amount of money.

And while gas has gone up here somewhat, it's not terrible yet. I'll wait till the summer to see if it makes the $3 mark (I live in NY).

Btw... thanks for your rant about Sloan Kettering. And I agree, that the way they are handling the JJ situation only adds to the anti-vaxxers.

On the upside, Bernie Maddoff kicked the bucket. Not going to cry about that. I know too many people who were fooled by him and ended up losing everything. So many lives ruined.

Baron Creek
Junior Participates
3.1  author  Baron Creek  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3    6 months ago

I had anticipated food inflation to start ebbing at this point, but the conditions that started the rise are starting to repeat, with the exception of distillers grains... which are easing up a bit.

1stwarrior
Professor Guide
3.2  1stwarrior  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3    6 months ago

'Specially the tribes/nations he bilked.

Professor Principal
3.2.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  1stwarrior @3.2    6 months ago

What are you talking about 1st? Madoff's crime was called an affinity crime, meaning he did most of it to the community he was attached to, in this case mostly the Jewish community and mostly in Roslyn, though many in NYC.