Scary Movies That Caused You a Lifetime Paranoia

By:  Buzz of the Orient  •  3 months ago  •  23 comments

Scary Movies That Caused You a Lifetime Paranoia
"You're gonna need a bigger boat." (Stephen Spielberg's movie "Jaws")

To comment, please join the group EVERYONE LOVES MOVIES - CLASSIC TO RECENT

EVERYONE LOVES MOVIES - CLASSIC TO RECENT

Scary Movies That Caused You a Lifetime Paranoia

Personally I can think of three.  I can thank Alfred Hitchcock for one of them, and Stephen Spielberg for the others.

The first one was Alfred Hitchcock's thriller. "The Birds".  Ever since watching that movie I have been uncomfortable when birds fly close to me - pigeons on the ground don't bother me, but when I was in someone's house and they let their Budgie out of its case and it flew around my head I really freaked.

The second one was the 1971 movie "Duel", directed by Spielberg, starring Dennis Weaver who is chased over lonely highways by a huge Peterbilt 18 wheeler tanker truck with an unseen driver.  Not long after I saw the movie there was a horrific accident on a local highway where an 18 wheeler flipped over on a sharp curve on top of a covertible.  Since that time I've always been very wary of big trucks when I pass them or they pass me, or come up close behind me while I'm driving.

The third was Spielberg's 1975 movie, "Jaws".  Ever since I watched that movie I never went into the ocean deeper than my waist, and I have been in the ocean in many coastal countries.  I have no problem with lakes.

Have any movies caused you a permanent paranoia that you are willing to tell us about?  If so, what paranoia do you have?

1  author  Buzz of the Orient    3 months ago

Am I the only one who developed some paranoias because of the movies?

MUVA
2  MUVA    3 months ago

I will not travel to Kansas because the wizard of Oz.

2.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  MUVA @2    3 months ago

Don't worry, his balloon carried him to the moon, where he planted an Emerald City flag, which doesn't show up, just like the Stars and Stripes in the latest movie.

3  Trout Giggles    3 months ago

Hitchcock's "The Birds"

Every time I see a bunch of birds* lined up on a roof top or a building, I get a little anxious and start thinking of that movie.

* especially large birds like pigeons or crows. Starlings give me the willies, too

4  Trout Giggles    3 months ago

Another movie that makes me paranoid is "Soylent Green"

4.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Trout Giggles @4    3 months ago

Really?  It may have been a shocker to discover what soylent green actually was, but for me the only thing that saddens me to think about that movie is that it was Edward G. Robinson's last movie as he was close to death from cancer when he made it (although you would not know that if you weren't told).  I read that Charleton Heston admired and loved EGR so much that in the scene where he was crying over EGR's going through his "process", his tears were natural, and not an act.

4.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1    3 months ago

I knew it was Mr. Robinson's last movie. I actually thought the "process" scene was poignant.

Yes, Soylent Green makes me paranoid only because of the changes the world is experiencing right now. Another movie that makes me paranoid is "Terminator" only because of the advancements AI has made in recent years.

Another movie is "The Purge". That is one scary movie and one that I could see actually becoming real

4.1.2  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.1    3 months ago

I have never seen "The Purge".

4.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.2    3 months ago

I'm not much for horror movies but this is about real monsters (humans). If you have the stomach for bloody gore this is for you

4.1.4  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.3    3 months ago

Actually, I don't have the stomach for bloody gore - never watched any of the "Chainsaw" or those types of "scream" movies.

4.1.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.4    3 months ago

I don't either, usually, but the plot of "The Purge" makes it worth watching

zuksam
4.1.6  zuksam  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.4    3 months ago

I'm not a fan of "Scream" type or "Slasher" Movies but I do like Monster Horror and SIFI Horror. One fairly recent film 2005 I really liked was "The Decent", that Movie was the first movie in a long while that made me jump and there's no way you could have talked me into going in a cave for at least a few weeks after seeing it. There's a Part 2 but I haven't seen it yet.

Kathleen
4.1.7  Kathleen  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1    3 months ago

I remember the last scene they made together... " I love you Thorn" It brought tears to my eyes.

Ronin2
5  Ronin2    3 months ago

Jaws

Just the first one. After that all shark movies became ridiculous.

Orca

Close second.

Can anyone tell I am not a huge fan of large bodies of water?

5.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ronin2 @5    3 months ago

Agreed - it was the first one that did it. I don't even recall seeing the follow-ups.

Ronin2
5.1.1  Ronin2  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1    3 months ago

I saw all of them (had many friends with really bad taste in movies). All sequels were pale images of the original.

6  Paula Bartholomew    3 months ago

The Gatherers did it to me.  It really is a cute movie.  For years I had small insignificant items (tooth picks, spools of thread, lids, etc) disappear.  After I saw the movie, it made me wonder if I had a family of gatherers living in my walls.

6.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6    3 months ago

I never saw that movie.

6.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1    3 months ago

You should.  John Goodman makes an awesome bad guy.

6.1.2  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6.1.1    3 months ago

Not counting the part he played as a music recording studio owner in O Brother Where Art Thou, the OTHER part he played in that movie showed how good he could be as a bad guy.

7  Perrie Halpern R.A.    3 months ago

The Omega Man and Soylant Green. Both left a lasting impression on me about how we could end the world. Funny, I don't feel much differently today and I just realized they both had Charlton Heston in them.

7.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @7    3 months ago

LOL. Heston is good at acting in movies where things end, like the slavery of the Jews in Egypt, or the tribuneship of Masala in Ben Hur, Planet of the Apes (the human world already ended), Julius Caesar (Et tu, Brutus), 55 Days at Peking (the end of American presence), etc.

Kathleen
8  Kathleen    3 months ago

Mine would be Silence of the Lambs.  That is a movie that brought long lasting fear to me.

epistte