╌>

The Results of the Survey

Category:  Other

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  11 years ago  •  164 comments

The Results of the Survey

As per NT transparency agreement to our community, here are the results of the survey.

Completion rate 100%
Complete responses 121
Average time taken -
Estimated time 2:00
Oldest response March 15, 2013
Newest response March 20, 2013
Responses per day 20.2

Summary Report

(Completion rate: 100.0%)

• Your overall experience with NT has been

Response Chart Frequency Count
    Very Happy
    32% 39
    Happy
    50% 60
    Indifferent
    14% 17
    Unhappy
    2% 3
    Very Unhappy
    0% 0
    N/A
    2% 2
    Total responses: 121
  • Which best describes the quality of assistance you had at NT

Very Satisfied
    47% 57
    Satisfied
    31% 38
    Neutral
    8% 10
    Dissatisfied
    1% 1
    Very Dissatisfied
    0% 0
    N/A
    12% 15
    Total responses: 121
  • The content of the forum is:

Excellent
    28% 33
    Good
    53% 62
    Fair
    19% 22
    Bad
    1% 1
    Total responses: 118
  • The moderation of the Forum is:

Excellent
    39% 46
    Good
    45% 53
    Fair
    15% 18
    Bad
    2% 2
    Total responses: 119
  • How would you describe the quality of the groups on NT

Excellent
    24% 28
    Good
    55% 64
    Fair
    19% 22
    Bad
    2% 2
    Total responses: 116
  • How would you describe the quality of the groups on NT

Excellent
    28% 32
    Good
    50% 57
    Fair
    19% 22
    Bad
    2% 2
    Total responses: 113
  • How often do you check in at NewsTalkers?

Never
    1% 1
    Rarely
    2% 2
    Sometimes
    24% 29
    Often
    45% 54
    Always
    28% 34
    Total responses: 120
  • How would you describe the ease of using NT?

Easy
    43% 50
    Somewhat easy
    47% 55
    Somewhat not easy
    9% 11
    Not easy
    1% 1
    Total responses: 117
  • Would you recommend NT to a friend?

Yes
    89% 102
    No
    11% 13
    Total responses: 115
  • If you came from another newsgroup such as Newsvine, have you gone back or gone to different newsgroup?

Yes
    33% 39
    No
    67% 79
    Total responses: 118
  • If you have left the NewsTalkers can you please explain why and if there was something that would make you try it again?

Haven't left, my time is limited.

I prefer Boobs. I'm a tit man. But only if they're real. Fake titties turn me off

Haven't left it. I go and read every day. I really dont know where to put my post to fit in,on a conversation. Nice site

Haven't left...not going to leave...should have never taken a sabatical in the first place. You've done amazing things with the site, Perrie. Hugs to you - Name removed.

Haven't left, but not around much simply because of some design/ease -of-use issues. The hompage is too dark and uninviting. It does not have the "feel" of an on-line newspage. Some suggestions: 1) Having news stories and headlines prominently displayed instead of having such a huge banner and a more neutral-colored border/background would add more of a "legitimate" atmosphere to the site. 2) As it is, when the homepage opens in my browser, all I see at first is the name, tabs, and tools without scrolling down further. Nothing immediately catches my eye as far as a "hook" goes without exerting effort by scrolling after the page loads. 3) Steal the "seed" button idea from NV. It works very well. 4) Reduce the size of the tabs so they will fit on one or two lines across the top, move the tools to the bottom so that you can make room for the headlines up top when the page opens. 5) Divide the page in two with self-authored/seeded articles on one side, and linked news articles on the other. Equal prominence to both, although I would give your subscribers the right side of the page as a sign of respect for their support since we read from right to left, it will catch peoples eyes first who log on. The articles will then be the "hook" you need when the page first loads. These small design changes willdo a lot for holding the attention of those who stop by for a quick peek. If it is difficult to find something that they want to discuss, it is very unlikely they will come back again.

Haven't left, but there are some very bombastic members. I don't post that much because of it. Some of the "chat" members are overtly sexual, which is fine, once in a while. But it seems that one member will find any opportunity to take the conversation there. I don't go on chat anymore because of it. And I've found a couple of people who came from Newsvine have already left because of the bombastic member and other things.

I have left NewsVine pretty much for good since coming here. I love it
    I'm mike lonkouski, and I'm never leaving

I only go back to NV once in a while to check my groups and to copy and bring here the best articles on my Classic Cinema group there. I no longer post anything there.

Not ashamed to say I was spoiled by Newsvine. The site was very easy to use and navigate. Yet I have not spent the time here to really explore or get to know the system. I do wonder why it is though, that so many sites have the same PITA's(Pain In The Ass) all the time. Eg. E-Mail alerts, everybody turns them off, so why not from the start, offer a way to turn them on, rather than having to search for a way to turn them off? Little things like that...Not a bad site at all, just got spoiled by folks with a lot more money :)

I did not leave NT, however I wanted to praise Perrie Halpern for the great effort and endless management of the site. I know it isn't easy, I ran a BBS w/multiple lines back in the 80's before the Internet was the Internet,and then an Internet site for about 5 years..and from that I learned one very important aspect..to coin a phrase from Abe Lincoln:You can 'satisfy' some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not 'satisfy' all of the people all of the time. In the first question..I put Happy..I had to choose that answer because I am leaning towards that but I am more in between indifferent and happy than I am indifferent..It isn't anything to do with the site itself but I still wouldn't say happy..I think the term (sorry to say) probably isn't the best way to describe it..although I checked happy, maybe satisfied. Thank You Perrie and others(I forget names) Thanks for allowing me to be on your site, I appreciate the time and work that goes into a site like this..Thanks, Name Removed

I haven't left newstalkers, I just see more articles to comment on at Newsvine. I find the replies to comments harder to follow on newstalkers than on newsvine. A reply to someone's comment is marked, but not clearly marked, so it can be confusing as to the order of comments. I have to say the moderation at newstalkers is excellent.

In general, the moderation has improved, although it still has hiccups from time to time. Your two best moderators are still Pete and Mike. The quality of the posted material doesn't seem to really be in control of the site owners, so a lot of good content goes unnoticed while bad content floats to the top. Not a fan of the layout or the orange-black color scheme. In general, though, the site is functional-- for me, the main issue is simply content and the behavior of the members.

Haven't really left, just do not have a lot of time to spend on the computer, as I work about 10 hours a day, am too tired. On weekends, I try to catch up on chores, sometimes go on computer. But that is about it.

I come and go - I like NT but miss NV so I feel torn.

I havent left. But I do find loading difficult sometimes. A lot of comments switch places or dissapear probably due to activity on a specific topic. I shouldnt complain about a site that is being paid for though :). Lastly, as a note to the tone... that isnt something the owners or the mods can remedy. It's kind of part of the whole internet messageboard experience.

I am thinking about leaving for another site.

I believe NewsTalkers has become worse than Newsvine. Here, free speech is the main goal, and I understand that, but what's happened to courtesy and civility? They have left the building, and soon, so shall I.

I can honestly say that I don't often go on NT. I left NV because I grew very weary of the snarky and more comments. I'll give NT a chance and see if such comments are fewer. I would happily participate in honest and interesting dialogue, but oftentimes what I have found on these sites are people that want to vent all their outrage at whatever and don't really want to have a real discussion. Your previous question is two questions in one to which there is really no 'yes' or 'no' answer.

Haven't left but am discouraged by the plethora of right/left friction which dominates the discussions. Need more science, literature, cultural, etc., discussions, to break up the continual sturm and drang of most posts.

Occasionally peek in at both Newsvine and NewsTalkers

I would like to see more continuity between a response to a Blog and a fluid conversation if one exists or could exist. Responses about an Article or a Blog need more connectivity. Right now they seem to float, and it does not encourage people to respond to someones' creativity and/or work. I believe more connectivity between "discussions" group by group, Blogs comment by comment which was very effective at Newsvine. The protocol for "comment" discussion at Blogspot is very effective, as well as WordPress.

I haven't left. A recent serious illness has made it difficult for me to participate as much as I would like to. As my recovery progresses, I hope to be much more active.

My dear Miss Perrie...no I haven't left NT nor am I contemplating such a move. Jus need to say how much I have appreciated you and all your work and perseverance holding this site together. I will be 'officially' leaving NV on April Fools Day...hope you will be joining me and others who may be deleting our account and 'jumping' off on that day. I have joined one other blog site since disappearing from NV..."Cerebral Rising". I visit this site on occasion, but I'm spending most of my blogging time with you and NT. You/we are rapidly approaching the 1000 member milestone mark. That is exciting. Supporting you and this endeavor is important to me, and I will do whatever I can to help you with this. You have always been a solid FRIEND to me...and someone I can count on. I truly appreciate and value you AND our continued and on-going friendship. Warmest Regards, Name removed

Boring; lack of stimulating discussion

I really hate the comparison to Facebook, for adults or no. A news site/community should be in no way, shape or form in comparison to a social networking site.

I came from Newsvine but am not really comfortable anywhere at the moment, seeding and writing very little anywhere and trying to feel a sense of belonging that Newsvine was losing until the newest update farily killed what was left.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    11 years ago

So there it is, the excellent, the good, the bad and the ugly. Some really interesting suggestions. Overall, I would say good marks if you add excellent with good. What say you?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Yeah, I was overall happy, Tink.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

It would be better if more content were visible without having to make multiple clicks, particularly in the News and politics section which ends up being used as a catchall and articles get pushed out of view before they have a chance to get much play or interest.

People do tend to forget to properly choose where the article should go. I try to correct it as I see them, but I'm not going to penalize anyone for such a mistake either.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

You're welcome cute doggie face!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    11 years ago

Me, too! GREAT job! 113.gif

Shub Orinuj
Freshman Silent
link   Shub Orinuj    11 years ago
Id say the negative came from NV staff, but that is my opinion. I will leave a comment that I forgot to add taking the survey now. This site is awesome!!!

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna    11 years ago

Need more science, literature, cultural, etc., discussions, to break up the continual sturm and drang of most posts.

Well, since apparently your efforts to get others to post these thing haven't been too sucessful, here's a thought-- why don't you post some of these things yourself? Seems like it might be worth a try....?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Gotta say I love those thumbs up!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Id say the negative came from NV staff, but that is my opinion.

Yeah... I like that that theory. Let's go with that.

Don't worry about forgetting about taking the survey. It was done since we had so many new members that I needed to see if the community was basicly having their needs met and if there were any ideas to be shared.

And thanks for the vote up!Grin.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

I agree John. There are other ways to manage the front board. We could try each way and see which one the group likes the best?

Stephi Cantley
Freshman Silent
link   Stephi Cantley    11 years ago

Grin.gif 80% Happiness Rating speaks volumes for the kind of wonderful place you have created for all of us, Perrie!6.gif

I love it here so much, and am learning to navigate my way around more each day!

I adore the friends I have made here in the short time that I have been a part of NT. If I come across a discussion that is taking a negative or not-encouraging turn, I sort of "run away" from it and stay out of it. I pretty much stay in my little sphere of trusted friends within my groups.

Thank you for all you do Perrie! It truly amazes me. I do have to say I agree with the feedback about the dark background feeling a little uninviting/intimidating. I tried and tried to change that on my Cat-Adorers Group but it won't seem to let me. I am more of an earthy, nature-colors kind of person.

5.gif HAPPY ALMOST FRIDAY EVERYONE!!!! WWOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

I am so happy that you are happy here stephi! You are handling the forum the way that it should be. And you have such a wonderful group!

The site color thing is a bit concerning. When I picked the colors, I did a lot of research on what colors mean what. But I am having some negative feedback and I do take that seriously. The other news color is green, and for obvious reasons, I don't want to use that color.

I am open for suggestions.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I know, I'm thinking Geeemonetti! I try to publish that stuff and no one sees it! Smile.gif

Maybe I should write a title something like this: Democrats say that Republican Guns are Polluting Groundwater

Or Climate Change IS Helping Archaeologists, Despite Skepticism

Smile.gif

1984, Wasn't.
Freshman Silent
link   1984, Wasn't.    11 years ago

I have to admit that I may have lowballed on a few questions, I feel that an excellent rating would preclude the option for improvement. When you quit learning, you quit living. I always leave room for improvement, otherwise where is the goal ? Perfection is an ideal to be strived for, not a destination to be reached.

I scare myself sometimes when these words come off my keys, where does that come from ?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    11 years ago

I'm somewhat confused by the fact that this identical question is asked for both the 5th and 6th questions, and the response numbers differ:

"How would you describe the quality of the groups on NT"

Should one of the words be "quantity" instead of "quality"?

As well, I think the responses to questions addressed to persons who have LEFT NewsTalkers have to be somewhat skewed, since the people who actually left NewsTalkers would not have seen the survey.

All in all, the negativity is limited to 1 or 2% - and that is amazing. Compare that to the percentage of negativity that appears obvious among responses from regular Newsviners as indicated not only here but on Newsvine itself.

(I can't change the bolding and blue colour to regular black font on my first sentence - one of the anomalies of the internet I guess.)

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

True dat, Krish!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Maybe I should write a title something like this:Democrats say that Republican Guns are Polluting Groundwater

OrClimate Change IS Helping Archaeologists, Despite Skepticism

OMG!! I have got to send this post to Mal. We used to say the same thing about the other place! Even made up titles like this! I wrote a whole article there about how frustrating it is to get non-political stuff up on the board. I guess we are a minority.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

That's OK '84! In a way, I see your point. But it is up to the membership to tell me what they want. I just execute it for them. Of course, I can't control content, but I can control how it is presented.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Well, I kind of like the blue letters Buzz.

The reason that people who left might have taken the time to do the survey is that I sent an email blast to anyone who was a member and left their account standing, which is the usual thing to do. And yes we have members in both places.

"How would you describe the quality of the groups on NT"

Should one of the words be "quantity" instead of "quality"?

No. I did mean quality...as in what you can do with a group. Our groups have many more features available to them, and many times when I go to visit them, I see that they have not been utilized. As for the quantity issue, I will be bringing that up in the future (I don't want to drown the group in meta). But I think the last thing we need, is a bunch of groups that either have noactivityin them, or have only 1 or 2 members. I think we should be shooting for quality and notquantity.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Neetu

I could put a news feed above the forum. That would do the trick Neetu. As for the social aspect, that is why I moved it down even under groups. I am thinking of putting heated debates back as a ticker too, under the forum.

Thanks for being so understanding about the demands of this job. Most people don't give it a thought about how much time I spend doing this. I am chief cook and bottle washer here, LOL.

Thanks for the vote up Neetu!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

We can ask the KK group for more ideas-- they can write some Jim Dandy titles! Smile.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Thanks Mike!

No NT isn't NV. I know that there are those who might think that are community might have changed with such a large influx, but I don't. The site is based on the community and the ease that the community can get their voice heard. I think that has remain constant. And at least you can find everyone here, LOL.

And it's been a pleasure having you! I've been eyeballing you for a mod position

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA    11 years ago

Nowhere near as fun, now, since there's no longer a friend tracker to spread the outlandish title placed on an ordinary article. Did get people buzzing though.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Perrie, you did NOT address the issue I raised of the redundancy of two questions being exactly the same, each having a differing response. I speculated that ONE of the identical questions MIGHT have meant quantity instead of quality, but the point I made is that there are two questions exactly the same, and they are NOT duplicates because the responses are different.

Charles B noticed the same problem. Please take another look at it.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Sounds like a plan!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Oh crap... your right! I meantquantityand quality.

[slaps head]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Ya know Robert, if you have nothing to constructive to contribute, contribute nothing.

I didn't publish this to be kissed up to... I did it as full disclosure to the site. I can't help it if you seem to have your gripes about it and instead of telling me, you just get annoyed.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Are you not able to amend the result title for one of them?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

No I can't, since people read it the same way you did. I know why it happened. I had to quickly transfer the information when the link didn't work.Oh well,I wasted a question.

bitemore Gfotwo
Professor Silent
link   bitemore Gfotwo    11 years ago

Interesting survey results... looks like most responders are happy here. I know that I am. There were also some good suggestions. Anyway, I'm here for the long haul, and wish to thank everyone for making this site such a comfortable place to hang out.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Glad your happy here Bitey. Tell me which suggestions did you like?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

I thought all discussions could be edited by the person who posted them, and that capability was not time limited. You would only have to amend one word.

Okay, then for the record which one of the two was for quantity rather than quality - the first or the second?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

By the way, Perrie, whatever suggestions I may have are not criticisms. We were friends long before you opened the grouply site and I have been one of your first members there and here, because I have always liked you a lot. You have done an incredible job with your site, working at it day and night (I know because my day is your night). I don't know how you can possibly have time for your business. You don't ask us for financial help but the total financial burden is carried by you without complaint. Contrary to what Robert has said, I think you deserve not only our highest compliments but a medal.

As well, you are lucky to have the close co-operation of A.Mac, for whom I also have the greatest admiration not only for his incredible talent, but also for his generosity and brilliance. He has never made a comment I have not agreed with entirely - whether or not on touchy political or social issues. I think if I ever lived in or near Philadelphia, I would want him to be my best friend (other than my wife, of course, who fills that number one spot).

It should be obvious that I am extremely thankful for the existence of this web site.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

I thought all discussions could be edited by the person who posted them, and that capability was not time limited. You would only have to amend one word.

Buzz, that is true if that was a discussion. Sadly, I made the mistake on theactualsurvey, which make the point spread kind of funny. All I did was transferred the survey here. So you've got me which was to be which.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Buzz,

I have known you now going on 5 years and I never thought that if you gave me or the sitecriticism that you didn't mean it in only a constructive way. And in fact, I welcome any ideas about how to make the site better.

And in the spring, Ning is rolling our a whole pile of new options for groups. Some of these are things that people have asked for like multiple forums. I ameagerto see what nifty things they will have. But in the meanwhile... color seems to be an issue. I really don't want a bland look alike news site, but some of you have said that you don't like the black....

There are limited colors that they refer to as news colors. And the only color I want to stay away from using a lot of is green, for obvious reasons.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
link   Trout Giggles    11 years ago

I like it here even tho I read more than I contribute. I do have little problem when a discussion becomes really long and can't remember where I last left a comment.17.gif But that's my problem.

Anyway, Perri and other mods, thanks for a place to come and relax. Smile.gif

did I mention I really like the emoticon feature?

bitemore Gfotwo
Professor Silent

I like the idea of changing the background color, as well as reducing the tabs in size and arranging them in one row, leaving overall more space for the actual content on the page (I'm talking about the front page and all non-customizable pages). I LOVE the custom features of our own home pages. As for what colors would be good, well... something of a medium tone, with black print, or perhaps a darker hue of the background color, for example: a light-blue background with dark-blue print. Something easy on the eyes but not terribly faded-looking (like Newsvine, it has the most washed-out look, ho-hum, boring, plain...terribly uninviting).

Maybe you could solicit suggestions; then (since this is hardly in the category of "urgent please hurry"), try out an assortment of ideas, leaving each one up for a week and asking us to vote on our favorites.

That said, I'm not at all unhappy with the status quo. I'm used to it. It never would have occurred to me to consider a change until I read one of the suggestions that went into some detail. I do think it may be fun to play with. But it certainly is not a make-or-break detail as far as I am concerned. I think most of us would agree that whatever we end up with here will be just fine, as long as it doesn't resemble that "other" place.Grin.gif

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

I'm not sure what you mean by colour. I hope you do not change the print font of the discussions or comments default at other than clear black on white, or I, and perhaps others of my age, will have trouble reading them.

As it is I have great difficulty reading the font that is blue on black background at the top of discussions and have to use a magnifying glass.

If it's the black background you wish changed, then great, but make sure the font is in a highly contrasting colour.

Swamijim sez
Freshman Silent
link   Swamijim sez    11 years ago

Perrie--

'swamijim sez'--Tnx and a tip of the Swami's turban for your excellent work here. I greatly appreciated your work and particularly your (amazingly) patient moderation on The Site That Shall Not Be Named... As a recent emigre from the Lost Green Kindom, I can already see that you've been busting your ass to make NT an open and inviting environment. Personally, I'm not concerned about the 'conflict' between news-site/social media, since a) folks clearly have the ability or capacity to author and/or comment in whatever way they choose, and b) the vast majority of "news-centered" pieces on any site fairly quickly devolve into exchanges of personal opinion and cross-chatter anyhow. (I could do w/o the 'Facebook' blurb, though-- I don't that's really indicative of the breadth of what NT is...) Half of myenjoyment of NT is what I'd appreciated at The Other Spot: the interplay of diverse personalities across a range of topics & issues. Haven't cancelled out of the other joint yet-- I have to finish plagerizing myself so I can re-cycle a few things to folks who haven't sampled the Swami's particular brand of cheese...

BTW-- don't get so hung up on what is or isn't a 'news color', babe. Pick something "attractive to the eye, and soothing to the smell.." (oops, my bad--that's the Wicked Witch). Better yet, why not a color-swatch poll, let the community voice some choices & maybe try a week or so on each of the top 3 selections?

Thanks once again for your dedication & effort, P-- You Go, Girl!!

bitemore Gfotwo
Professor Silent

I agree with what Buzz said about the font color and the comment boxes. Black font on a white background is really the best combination there. In fact, I agree with him that whatever the background, the font should be a stark contrast. That is why I prefer a pale background and a dark, highly-contrasting font.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

It was FUN!!! LOL! Smile.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

The Facebook thingy is because one day I was on FB being beaten up by my friends political opinions and I thought, hummm.. at least I wish they kept that in one place and then I thought about this site and thought.. yeah that's what we do. But maybe it does have a cheesy aspect to it. Can you think of some other way to express that?

I'm gonna be working on the color thing. You cracked me up with the idea of color swatches.

Thanks Jim and keep the input coming!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I don't think it's cheezy, but they block FB at work, and they block this site too, because the site description says FB... Which is ANNOYING!!! (Work, not the site!)

Oh well- what is, is! Grin.gif

bitemore Gfotwo
Professor Silent

Hey! Nice blue background! Very nice!

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent
link   Nigel Dogberry    11 years ago

Interesting survey. It's good to be able to get anonymous input that is otherwise unavailable. Unfortunately, anonymous input can be just a bitter rant from those who like to rant anonymously.

The bluish grey background is relaxing and way better than the black was. I like the teal print but the small teal print is unreadable against the grey background. Also, what is up that horrible green color that highlights the headings when you mouse over? OMG that green is just gangrenous and I can smell it from here - it doesn't go with the grey.

Watch for a bombastic headline designed to get attention.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

- I doubt that many who left would respond.

Maybe..or maybe not. It was sent out as a blast, and I made a point of sending to members that had left (closed accounts)But the point of hiring a survey company,

- There is always a slant towards "say something nice to Perrie" in these kinds of things. This is not "What do you think of GE." There IS a direct personal connection between you and the site, and the members.

While it is true that I am a person and not a corporation, if you remember back to your NV days, people often said nice things to Calvin and Tyler. It is only problematic, if I respond by treating those people better, which after all this time with me, you know I don't do.

1- I mentioned that connection as also biasing the results. In effect,though not in intent, because of that connection, Perrie, who is indistinguishable from NT, and who we all like, is asking "Do you like Perrie?"

I disagree. There were negative remarks... hence the color change here... and probably the tabs.. think of the survey like Ed Koch asking "How am I doing?" Sometimes the answer is not so good.

It IS fairly level. Which IS the demonstrated intent shown by Perrie. Along with a demonstrated restraint. (Except when I post)

Thanks Robert.. I think. You cracked me up that you feel picked on. I never moderate you, when you comment to me, no matter how unpleasant and I moderate you no more or less than anyone else here in the forum. Please keep a tally to validate this.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I, too, am here for the long haul-- the colors didn't bother me, but I surely do like the dark blue background. Smile.gif

Perrie, you do a fantastic job here, and it takes up ALL of your time. Not to mention that you are dedicated and fair!

There is no way I could do this-- and I'm amazed at all the little changes! It inspired me to make some color and font changes on my homepage! LOL!

GREAT JOB! Oh, and the moderation is extremely fair. You retain your cool when I would have a tendency to not. 3.gif Therefore, BRAVO!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I'm working on that.

So are most of us! Smile.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Much easier on the eyes! and Pretty, too!!! Smile.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

LOL! Love you, Grump! Smile.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Do you think you could look up some color palettes that make you feel more comfortable? I've been looking at color palettes, and I can't seem to find anything that is "right"... Just for suggestion purposes...

Maybe that would help Perrie! Smile.gif

Neale Osborn
Freshman Silent
link   Neale Osborn    11 years ago

I'm happy with NT. And proud to say it aloud and often.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Here are some ideas-- not actual suggestions, but some thoughts... These are from Color Combos!

7245_discussions.png

7246_discussions.png

7247_discussions.png I mean, you could pick a few basic colors and then go there and see what goes with them... Just a thought! Smile.gif

TTGA
Professor Silent

I kind of like the new look of the place Perrie. Ordinarily, I don't care much what such things as websites look like but this color scheme is pretty cool.

Neale Osborn
Freshman Silent

I thought my monitor was screwing up. Then, I read this and realized "Nope- Just a redheaded broad messing with the colors again." I like it.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

NBC is also changing color palettes... Here is Color Me Ugly:

7248_discussions.png?width=721

UGH!!! 29.gif

Stephi Cantley
Freshman Silent

6.gif 6.gif Hi, my Dowser! Very nice color ideas!!!!!! I like the navy better than the black, Perrie. I think Suz described the black hole feeling well....for some reason, I, too, feel that way.

If we are voting on Dowser's pretty palette, I choose # 7195A3.5.gif 5.gif

Happy Saturday, my NT friends!!!!!

Stephi Cantley
Freshman Silent

Grin.gif Hi, '84! How are YOU this day????? You've been on my mind....I have not forgotten my promise to pray for you, friend!!!!

Stephi Cantley
Freshman Silent

Grin.gif Grin.gif Grin.gif Awww....thanks, Miss Perrie!!!! That means a lot to me...especially since my daughter refers to me as Technologically Challenged (I wholeheartedly agree with her!!!)!!!!Grin.gif Grin.gif Grin.gif

I truly think you are doing a great job here. I love it. Be encouraged!!!

1508483.GIF

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

The g

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

I see that the loading problem is still here. I had typed out a comment, clicked "Add Reply" and you can see how only a few letters actually loaded.

What I said was I agreed with John Russell in that the colours are not contrasted enough to read the font - perhaps bright yellow should be used on the dark green background.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Love you, dear Stephi! Those were just some thoughts! 6.gif

Stephi Cantley
Freshman Silent

oooohhhh......I agree with you!!!114.gif

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

I really don't care much what colours are used as long as the font is a big enough contrast to the background. Otherwise it gets muddy and hard to read, especially the smaller fonts. A colour may contast okay with a dark background but then it's lost when the same colour carries over to a light or white one. The font colour has to change to be readable when the background changes. Now I see that the same green font is used on a dark background as it is on a white one, and that just doesn't work for me, because there is no compromise colour.

By the way, the green makes me think of the puke NV colour.. FEH!!!!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

OMG.. No orange no puke NV color, not NBC's ugly mess.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Thanks Thee... I like all the smiley faces... still working on the color though. Ugg.

TTGA
Professor Silent

Perrie,

Something made the All Groups/My Groups link disappear, unless you run the cursor over where it's supposed to be; then it appears again. The bluish green on the headers is really bad.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Thanks Neale! Gotta get these colors right!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Purple is pretty!!! Smile.gif

bitemore Gfotwo
Professor Silent

Eeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwww... barf!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

See.. I knew this would be a nightmare!

TTGA
Professor Silent

Everything's back again, and the blue headers on the purple background seem to work out quite well. Not as flashy as it could be, but much nicer to look at. Also, it causes the lettering to stand out in a very readable fashion.

bitemore Gfotwo
Professor Silent

Dowsey has good taste! Purple IS pretty!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

The indigo background is stunning, and the lighter blue headlines are okay, as is the white font where used, but the smallest font in the light blue on the indigo background is still hard to read - I wish it was white.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

On the wall facing the TV please. Nice of you to help.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Robert,

You probably didn't realize it, but that is one of my all time favorite songs.

It made me smile as I listened and as I decorated "Our House"

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Mike,

Don't laugh. There is a whole guide on website design and yes you have to be very careful not to use a certain blue or red, unless that is what you want to convey. Gray blue isn't one of those colors.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Well, I think I have found something that works and feels friendly and works within the confines of what Ning has given me. I got rid of the pukey green, no more black... a little orange (sorry Iar, but I needed a contrast color that was non-partisan.) No girly colors... contrast at the best I could get it (it seems that there is one control for some of the internal/external color, so it couldn't be too dark or too light. If you guys still have suggestions.. shoot.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

OK more goodies for you boys and girls as requested.

First at the very top of the page you will notice a neat piece of coding that I put in to make getting around this place easier.

Second, I changed the facebook comment on our mission statement.

Third, I made a new cleaner tab system. All the tabs are still there. They are just on a drop down system. If you don't like it ( it was suggest), I can change it back.

So I have done all my homework from the survey. Lots of good stuff in there. I think I might take one semi annually.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

I happen to be a big fan of imperfect when it comes to my music. We still have all our vinyl.

bitemore Gfotwo
Professor Silent

I like the drop-down menus, but I think they'd be more effective if they'd drop down automatically with a simple mouse-over (no click required). I don't know if that is a possibility, but if it can be done, it would make it more intuitive. But you are really making some good progress with some nice new features.

TTGA
Professor Silent

Bitey,

All of them that have choices attached do that now. Looks like Perrie works very fast.

Perrie,

If you now have the room in the drop down choices, would you please put in either History and Sociology, History and Anthropology or History and Archeology? Could be placed under Health, Science and Tech or under Other. I'm particularly thinking of the ongoing work being done on the CSS Hunley and several other historical items.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Bitey,

You shouldn't have to click. The should just drop down when you mouse over them. I am using Chrome and they work that way.

I think the top bar looks much cleaner and less overwhelming. I hope you do, too. But everything isreversible.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

There is only one that I can add tot the site Mike, but that would give google free ads on the site, and since they dropped me for no reason and took over $70 bucks with them, I am not going to install it here.

It does seem that EI9 is the only browser without a spell check. But.... I have found this very good ad on for EI9 that comes with many praises:

Although I have to say that if you are not in love with IE9 download Chrome or Firefox and you won't have that issue.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Oh Crude.. I forgot you asked me for that TTGA. I'm going to do it now!

bitemore Gfotwo
Professor Silent

They don't work for me, in either Chrome OR Firefox. I cursor over them and they light up, but nothing drops down until I click. I tried refreshing the pages, too, but still no go.

Anyway, I'm calling it a night... we can play some more tomorrow. Perrie, don't overdo it and wear out... you've accomplished a LOT today! There's plenty of time to play with the site, but I worry that you won't have as much fun as the rest of us!

So, g'nite, all. Catch ya on the flip side!

TTGA
Professor Silent

Mike,

If it's there, it should be under the Tools dropdown. Not sure if it's on IE9 though. It isn't on 7 or 8. Since i use Firefox, I don't deal with the features on the IE programs much. Someone (I think it might have been Rose Gardiner) posted a link to a place where you can get it as a free add on. Can't remember which article it was posted on though (Perrie or Bitey might remember, I think they were on that article too). If misspelled words are underlined, spell check is operating. Then all you do is right click on the word to get alternatives.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

TTGA,

Done and Done!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Humm.. this drives me nuts when something doesn't work. If anyone else is having the same issue, please let me know.

Personally, the auto drop down is going to take me a bit of time to get used to, and I might have liked a click... but either way, I like the way the top looks better. Any and all feedback welcomed.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

This site doesn't have numbers since each comment has a link... that little yellow chain at the top of every comment. If you left click on it, it will open and then you right click on the copy link and you get this:

See.. there is your comment number. It also gives you the instant link to the exact comment in a specific article.

TTGA
Professor Silent

You're doing great Perrie. If more people have the same problem Bitey had, gather some data for comparison, particularly about operating systems. It may be that some of the older systems don't respond to that kind of drop down and need to click in order to work. If I get the chance, I'll get on with the computer upstairs (XP) and see if it works with that.

retired military ex Republican
Freshman Silent
link   retired military ex Republican    11 years ago

Love the site. Found the outright negtives a little phony sounding. Overall good and growth is amazing. None of the members I know have left. Sex does often take over in chat.When you get old talking about sex is all somehave left.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

LOL!

(((((((((((((retired)))))))))))))) Smile.gif

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

There's nothing great about spellcheck. It's unable to tell the difference between "to, too and two", or "they're, there and their", or "Loose and lose" all of which are misused consistently.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Kind of hard to control the chat going on... but then again, I have also seen some deep discussions.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

If you're interested in "deep discussions" take a look at the latest Classic Cinema article I posted, about the death of Harry Reems, the star of "Deep Throat". lol (or in his case would that be "olo"?)

Broliver "TheSquirrel" Stagnasty
Freshman Silent
link   Broliver "TheSquirrel" Stagnasty    11 years ago

See why we all love Perrie? Well, most of us anyways.Grin.gif

Already, we see changes on the site related to the feedback from the other members.

Smile.gif

Pedro
Professor Participates
link   Pedro    11 years ago

- There is always a slant towards "say something nice to Perrie" in these kinds of things. This is not "What do you think of GE." There IS a direct personal connection between you and the site, and the members.

There is often, but definitely not always....and not just with Perrie. Certain members, by virtue of their personality, have created a personal atmosphere that others prefer not to disturb to greatly....which is to say, some members demonstrate a consistent level of good will and get the same in response. Now, somebody like me....well, I get nice and I get not so nice.....but I'm also not as nice a person as Perrie. Additionally, much of that is carry over from really only having 30 or 40 active members. People were appreciative of having a nice place to kick around in, and they were thankful to Perrie for providing it. Like you say, Perrie and NT were fairly synonymous. Now, with a greater user base and more moderators, there can be a greater level of separation.

So, I'm not really arguing your point. I'm just saying that there are reasons why this has been the case.

Pedro
Professor Participates

I just feel badly for the deluded soul that thinks Mike and I are the best moderators. When have either of us been moderate about anything?

:)

Chloe
Freshman Silent
link   Chloe    11 years ago

Hi again, Broliver. I just noticed your comment, so came over here to see what was going on.

I totally identify with the final comment above in the article that someone made. I was barely hanging on over there, and then it felt like someone came along and stepped on my fingers and I had to let go, falling into the abyss.

BYYYYYYYYYYeeeeeee e..e..e. .

(for now:)

Chloe
Freshman Silent

What drop down are you two talking about ?

Chloe
Freshman Silent

Oh, Ok. Thanx, Savage Saint !

Neale Osborn
Freshman Silent

So you're saying this is the beta NT? Oh shit!!! I'm outta here!

Stephi Cantley
Freshman Silent

Maybe I am just too much of a First Grade Teacher at heart, but this makes me so sad.... 1508472.GIF

"I avoid the personal relationships here. They require sustenance, which often includes a requirement of agreement and some modification of opinions so as to not hurt someone's feelings, in opposition to free and open exchange."

Shouldn't we ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS modify how we say things to EVERYone so as not to be harsh and discouraging?

Shouldn't we ALWAYS voice our viewpoints in a way that does not hurt ANYone's feelings?22.gif

We can disagree in respectful, caring, open-minded ways...can't we? Otherwise, we are truly NOT civilized.7.gif

Robert, I hope you find dear friendships here that are truly worth sustaining and nurturing....I sure have and I treasure them. 1505539.GIF

There is so much negativity in the world. Perrie has given so much of herself to make a wonderful place for us all. She reached out to us and is open to suggestions and has a willingness to improve. Have you done such a thing? I haven't. Have you created such an amazing site? I haven't. So, yes, she deserves positive feedback.

Benevolent dictator? That was not fair in my opinion.Frown.gif

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur    11 years ago

Few things in the real or cyber world, if any, are perfect or, without room for growth, evolution and improvement; that is why I find this response to be the most telling

Would you recommend NT to a friend?

ResponseChartFrequencyCount
Yes
89%102
No
11%13
Total responses:115

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

I just feel badly for the deluded soul that thinks Mike and I are the best moderators. When have either of us been moderate about anything?

Damn! Next poll I'm going to put in kudos for myself too.

What was I thinking?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Mac,

It was not unexpected. I sent this out to anyone who had/has been a member. I was expecting some negative numbers.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Well, most of us anyways.

LOL... yeah part of my jobdescriptionmakes me a bitunlikable. But really, the point of the survey was to get feedback. And I've got to say, that they were right.

Do ya like it better Brolly?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

then it felt like someone came along and stepped on my fingers and I had to let go, falling into the abyss.

BYYYYYYYYYYeeeeeee e..e..e. .

(for now:)

OMG CL! It's not black anymore... you can crawl out and see blue skies!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

So you're saying this is the beta NT? Oh shit!!! I'm outta here!

Nah.. this isn't beta. Ning is rolling out a beta right now. But that won't affect you guys.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

:)

Best giggle I had!

Pedro
Professor Participates

Yeah man, I'm down. Drinking and killing random hitchhikers go hand in hand my friend. You cant wear that tie though, lol.

I'm thinking next Saturday for sure. Shelly's got the evenings tied up until then with her clinicals.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Mike in Ga,

I was just kidding about Mike L and Tacos whoever noted their excellent moderation is right on target. Otherwise, Perrie does all the heavy-lifting on NT like the new color scheme and tab refinements pleasing to the eye and functionally upgraded.

NICE!

And thank you for your kind words.

Pedro
Professor Participates

*snort*

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Perrie,

What "negative" numbers? 89% recommendation is significant and POSITIVE!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Oh I agree Mac!

Stephi Cantley
Freshman Silent

Grin.gif me toooooo! You just cannot argue with data....

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent

Upset by sexual references in chat? If you are that easily offended, stop reading this comment now because I am going to refer to a body part later on.

Like my dear old departed mom used to say: "If you see something you didn't want to see, you shouldn't have been lookin'"

I may be the guilty party because sometimes I talk dirty and many others do, too. Golly.

I find the mean and cruel comments in chat way more offensive than someone's reference to boobs. But, it could be that meanness and cruelty is more acceptable than a nice pair of boobs?

Freshman Silent

From the results of the survey:

I really hate the comparison to Facebook, for adults or no. A news site/community should be in no way, shape or form in comparison to a social networking site.

Why, I wonder, should it not?

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

My own personal and honest opinion-- which, with $1 will get you a cup of coffee, someplace:

Mean and nasty comments shouldn't be put on chat, period, or removed immediately, if possible, by a moderator. Mainly because it is 1) public humiliation, 2) unnecessary, if you have a problem, take it outside, and 3) VERY poor advertisement for a wonderful site!

That's just me. Smile.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I didn't bother me, but it bothers the computer guys at work. THANK YOU, PERRIE for taking it off-- they are going to review my "authorization" level at work on Monday or Tuesday-- they had heightened my security so that I couldn't get on the KY state web sites... I mean REALLY-- how am I supposed to do my job if I can't read about watersheds in our state?

So, thanks-- I really appreciate it! But, it didn't bother me, as a reference personally. You know what I mean? I hope? Smile.gif

6.gif 11.gif

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

How 'bout something entirely different? A banner (of course the tabs, etc., have to be overprinted).

Just an idea.

7249_discussions.jpg?width=721

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Exactly what I thought, too!

Orange is my least favorite color-- but I don't mind it as lettering... Smile.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

I can't Mac.

I don't know if you remember of not, but that little hat logo was on the grouply site. Here if I have to go into the CSS code, people will not be able to design their own homepages, which is a feature they really like. I am hoping that this is one of the many thing that Ning is going to change with their new upgrade.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Grump

You know you are supposed to report those types of comments to me, Grump. Chat is aprivilege and one I cantemporarilyrevoke if it is being abused.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I meant the message board. SORRY, chat is private, I think... SORRY! Smile.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Dowser,

That's not just you, that is in the CoC. What I have found is that people don't read the CoC and therefore don't know what their rights are. It's your CoC, know your rights and report.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Brolly,

I agree, a site can be both social and news orientated. Just go to the place that you want to go. But I could see the FB reference point.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Dowser,

See, it's just as easy as asking. I try to quickly adjust the site to any request, if it isn't one that will have a deep affect on the group, then I have to go into a vote. Most of the comments were relatively easy toaccommodate, and also easy to reverse, so no biggie in doing them.

For those who are interested, I made the following changes yesterday:

1. Changed the website colors
  2. Added on the top bar quick links
  3. Changed the tabs for a cleaner look with drop downs
  4. Added two sub-categoriesto Science tab
  5. Changed the mission statement

I tried to add a news ticker under the forum but ended up with a tech issue. I will try again.

See, all this from one survey! It was worth it!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Well, it's absolutely fabulous!!! Thank you!

I didn't want you to think I was being critical!!! That's all! Smile.gif

Chloe
Freshman Silent

Oh, thank you Perrie, savior of all good and right and fun and wonderful and interesting..and whatever I left out! Seriously, as I've said before, it sure is nice having you here..and the crew.

I cannot believe it over there this a.m. Yesterday, one of my original articles that had been up for four days, suddenly disappeared from my 'own' nation and my Column!! No emails from NV. Now today, I see a couple other articles are missing that someone else wrote. My suspicions are still the same. NV gave Mod status to one (or more) of the *'thinks he's mightier and smarter than a Supreme Being'* types (that 'might' have initials that resemble B and F, or 'might' start with a 'j' or a 's' or 'c' :) --that are going around with a heavy-handed delete button !

Some of those articles were whining about stuff, but so what? We can have an opinion. But, I find it interesting that any of the articles that they 'might' not like for egotistical reasons, can't be accessed because the green circle never stops running to let us in - but all of the boring, pretentious authors and their middle-east articles can be accessed just fine. I cannot believe the possibility of the company giving the reins to a bunch of yuppie yahoos that think they are smarter than the rest of us !!! OMG.. Could it be ?!! ..Rhetorical question, and obvious retorts from a lowly serf 'user' that gave four years and five months of her life's thoughts, visions, knowledge, experiences, imagination, ideas, energy and...most of all - time... to a bunch of pathetic, self-important, self-indulgent, unethical, pedantic losers!! Our saving grace : what goes around, comes around. Few things in life can we plan on - but that's one of them.

End of rant.

And now, for a word from our sponsor...

bitemore Gfotwo
Professor Silent

Well... I dunno what the problem is, but it isn't Perrie and it isn't the site. It has to do with the BRAND of computer... because it works just fine (the hover-drop-downs) on my Toshiba laptop (Windows 7), but NOT on my HP Touchsmart all-in-one (also Win 7). This is not the first time an HP product turned out to be garbage. This IS my last HP product of any kind. Too many bugs, too many hassles, piss-poor products. You couldn't GIVE me one. I hate them with a passion more purple than anything you will see on this page (color-wise). Had I known before spending a LOT of cash on this piece of garbage, I would never have looked at it twice.

Thanks for letting me rant. Let this also serve as a warning to anyone seriously thinking of buying anything made by HP: they are crap. They will always be crap. Pffft.

And, yes, I rebooted and did all the right stuff but this computer sucks. The Toshiba works just fine. I should have tried it there before complaining to Perrie. Anyway, Perrie... it ain't you so you can move on to more important things. Meanwhile, I am daydreaming of the day I can heave this piece of junk into the trash.

Pffft. Oh... did I already say that once? Sigh....Tongue.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

89% favorable is GREAT!!! More than great-- FABULOUS! More than fabulous-- it's SUPERSPLENGARLIC! 69.gif 36.gif 103.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I thought so, still, I've seen some go by on the message board that are a bit questionable... But, said nothing. MYOB and all that. Smile.gif

This is such a wonderful place to be! Grin.gif

TTGA
Professor Silent

Just as well Bitey. I'm running a Malwarebytes scan on the one upstairs and, so far, it's found nine viruses. No wonder it was running so slow. All the HP stuff isn't junk, however. My printer/scanner/copier/fax machine is an HP 5500 and it has worked just fine for over ten years now. Maybe the older stuff is better.

bitemore Gfotwo
Professor Silent

What CL said. Seriously. BIG ditto.

bitemore Gfotwo
Professor Silent

I do believe older HP stuff is better than the newer stuff... but this is the second HP computer I've had that simply is NOT up to a reasonable standard, particularly when you compare the price I paid for it (almost $2000) with the price I paid for the Toshiba about 6 months later (less than $500). HUGE difference! And I use Malwarebytes... it automatically pops up every few minutes and scans, and I know there are no worms or virii on this horrible machine... anyway, I don't want Perrie fretting over it, because it is clearly this stoopid machine and NOT her tech savvy.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Bitey,

I have to say that I love my little HP netbook. It's my big Tosheba laptop that I hate. Damn thing is always burning out hard drives. So believe it or not, I do almost everything that I have to do, from a tiny little netbook.

But rant away! I know how frustrating computers can be!

Chloe
Freshman Silent

Thanx, Bitey!! Appreciated.

bitemore Gfotwo
Professor Silent

Well, Perrie... as long as you don't go crazy trying fix what ain't your fault (or the site's fault). I'm still not crazy about HP... and won't buy another (I've had 3, two of which were lemons). I think my next computer will likely be a custom-built. Again. Anyway, I really like this site and whatever you do to try to make it better is VERY much appreciated!

bitemore Gfotwo
Professor Silent

I'm not surprised, A. Mac. I've recommended this site many times in many comments on NV before I deleted my account there. I still recommend it to anyone who asks. This site is far and away the most comfortable of all the sites I have looked at!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

I'm going to look into that, but it was the hard drive, since Matt requested to have them return it to us and the thing was fried.. The last time the hard drive went (the other times it was underwarrante), Matt ordered from Amazon the hard drive and installed it himself, and it's been fine since. It seem that the big ones (17 inches) have a problem cooling themselves, too. Another goodie that they don't tell you.

Chloe
Freshman Silent

Toshiba fried one of my laptops. I'll never have another.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Rabbit with pepper? aka Wabbit stew?

LOL, it's COLD here, tonight!!! Smile.gif

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent

Dowser, I agree with you entirely. New folks see the Main Room as a great feature and I agree that it is a great little meeting place. The whole NT experience is right there for the new folks to see and it should be comfortable without meanness or humiliation.

That's just me, too.

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent

Current colors are way nicer, in my humble opinion, and a bit easier on the eyes, too. I like the top bar quick links, especially the My discussions and the my groups links. It's lookin' good from here.

Um.......that tomato horn worm green was kinda awful. Hee hee hee.

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent

Thanks, Perrie. If necessary, I will.

Freshman Silent

Thank you, yet again, Perrie.

Perrie! Opa!

Grin.gif

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Yeah, as a Canadian I spell with British English, and every time I type words like "colour", "neighbour" "travelling" etc I get a red line under it and I'm spelling them correctly. When I use Microsoft word it automatically corrects the word I type to American spelling and I have to retype it to spell it the way I want. Sometimes, when I'm in a hurry, I just say "to hell with it" and let it be.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

My REAL pet peeve is when writers misuse "its" and "it's". If only in their mind they would try to say what they have written expanding the contraction "it's" to "it is" they would realize their mistake. I've seen the mistake made in magazines and newspapers.

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent

I would say fabulous, too, but guys don't use that word.Grin.gif

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent

Good suggestion, TTGA.

Stephi Cantley
Freshman Silent

Grump, it's cute when YOU say "fabulous!"3.gif 6.gif

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent

I am getting the drop downs in Firefox. They have reduced the clutter and I like 'em.

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent

Three cheers for A. Mac. !!!Grin.gif Grin.gif Grin.gif

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent

Yeah, you are probably doing something wrong. I have been doing things wrong my whole life and I am only just now getting used to it.Tongue.gif

Yeah, I would like to have the counter tell me if other comments have been posted. Referring me to the last comment made leaves out everything that was posted since I last commented.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Terry,

You didn't realize something.. which you would have had you watched the video....

When you click the "My Discussions" there is a drop down that gives you all of your articles/seeds.

Discussions I replied to<-----click here and it will say "discussions I started"

That will take you to all of your articles and seeds.

Watch video 3 on tracking!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

No, presently there is no way to know other than going back and looking. This site doesn't have that little green next button. NV owns that piece of coding and as far as I have checked no one else has it. You think they'll sell it to me at a discount price since they are not using it?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Grump,

Your doing nothing wrong. There is no way but to go back to your last comment.

I am not sure if that is one of the new things that Ning will be rolling out in the summer. I hope it is. I have made my requests.

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent

Oh, that's just too fab-uuuu-lous.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

as for now the site is really nice and workable, we can add the other bling as they are made available I guess. Grin.gif

That is the plan, Terry.

Wheel
Freshman Quiet
link   Wheel    11 years ago

I like the new look Perrie, thanks for the hard work.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Thanks Wheel!Grin.gif