╌>

NewsTalkers Milestone...500 members and Counting!

Category:  Other

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  11 years ago  •  47 comments

NewsTalkers Milestone...500 members and Counting!

How is the state of the union. Excellent! It's true! Within less than a month, NewsTalkers more than doubled it's membership! Not only that, we areaveraging more than 1,400 uniquevisitorsa day! That comes from the excellent tagging of our members!

I realize that many of left your home, where you felt comfortable. I know how that feels, since that is why this groupexistsin the first place. Our original members came here on the same wing and a prayer as many of you did. It is my job to make you feel at home and live up to our ideals that we set up, when we started NT; a community driven site with total transparency.

So thank you all, in taking this leap of faith. NT is only as good as it's members and NT members are wonderful!

Perrie~

Resident Advisor

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Jonathan P
Sophomore Silent
link   Jonathan P    11 years ago

500?

Impressive!

Hey, any benefits for us "charter member"?Grin.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    11 years ago

Thanks Dylan! And don't worry! I will try to always do my best...

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Thanks Jonathan! and no. But I still love ya!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    11 years ago

I'm glad to see this!

The more, the merrier!!! Smile.gif

stephanie (o'stephanie)
Freshman Silent
link   stephanie (o'stephanie)    11 years ago

Kudos to you and the group.

Cannot tell you how much it meant to come here as we did; distraught, angry, grieving--we ran the gammet. Still learning the system (thanks for the videos, etc) but am feeling quite comfortable.

I do hope that we are accepted as individuals and not seen as "illegal aliens". (There was one comment in a thread that blamed their argument on NVers... Hope that was just a fluke.) There are sure to be adjustments by all. This site seems to be up to the task.

Congratulations!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

I have to agree, Dowser! And it's wonderful to have you among us!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Mike,

I'll appoint you to thepositionof lead man on that commission. That way we'll know it's clean!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Hi Stephanie,

I am so happy that you are feeling comfortable and that those videos helped. I hope that my Long Island accent didn't throw you off any.

I do hope that we are accepted as individuals and not seen as "illegal aliens". (There was one comment in a thread that blamed their argument on NVers...

If something like that ever happens, please get me! No one member is better than any other member, no matter when they came here! Everyone is an equal here.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    11 years ago

Thank you! I'm VERY glad to be here! Smile.gif

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     11 years ago

Great new Perrie,

I'vemetmany of my friends from the other place, and have invitations out to other to join. So far, six have joined on my invite. Hope that I can add many more.

retired military ex Republican
Freshman Silent
link   retired military ex Republican    11 years ago

Fantastic on the way up we go. Perrie you have made it a wonderful place to be.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton    11 years ago

So cool!

Way to go Perrie, this is a direct result of your hard work and tenacity!

Pat N2
Freshman Silent
link   Pat N2    11 years ago

Holy cow! 500 members strong?!? That's awesome! Must be due to the great administration. Smile.gif

Debby Sunshine
Freshman Silent
link   Debby Sunshine    11 years ago

Congratulations Perrie! You have created this wonderful forum which truly upholds the First Amendment! Everyone can speak their mind and agree to disagree! I actually hate that phrase "agree to disagree!" What does it really mean anyway? It's like telling someone that they are too ridiculous to debate with so be quiet. I'm rambling now when all I wanted to do was congratulate you on the success of your site! Congratulations!

Debby Sunshine
Freshman Silent

I agree!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Thank you so much Kavika. It's wonderful to have you here and for the wonderful Native American group that you have provided us with. Thank you!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Susan,

You know that I adore you, and yes those friendships that were forged so many years ago, mean as much to me as they do for you. I guess it is true that things do have a way of working out in the end.

And now the added surprise...

You can embed a video even in your comments! Just get the embed code from youtube and click on the icon third from the left... It looks like a snipit of movie film and paste the code in there.

I chose this for you.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Thanks Larry! It also might have something to do with those of you who stuck it out with me, through thick and thin... like you.

Thank you Larry!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Debby my sister in tenacity

Veganamericanprincess.com

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Thanks Pat! And long time members like you and some amazing mods, too!

Pat N2
Freshman Silent
link   Pat N2    11 years ago

You know what I love most about this millestone, Perrie? I love the fact that back in the beginning, when NT was just a Grouply site with a rag-tag bunch of cast-off or disgruntled Viners....so many were making fun of you over on that "other site".

Yet now that site has come crumbling down while you are emerging victorious and growing by leaps and bounds.

You are David. The other site is Goliath. And you are bringing that giant to it's knees.

And you've done it through a sincere desire to make a better place for people to gather, discuss and debate. You trusted us to be adults and not like children that need to be sat in the corner for a week or a month for some minor infraction.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Thanks Deb on the congrats. I will be saying it to you one day soon. For those of you who don't know Debby, she is my real life friend, who has one of the best Vegan blogs around:

Veganamericanprincess.com

And I have to agree with you about that phrase. Why pretend. It is far better to discuss it and at the end of the day to declare an impasse, than to woos out with "agree to disagree!" Ramble on any time you like! And thanks for the congrats!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Wow Pat,

That was some powerful statement. I am humbled by it.

And yes, I yourdescriptionof what I had envisioned when we were at grouply is true. You said it so well here:

you've done it through a sincere desire to make a better place for people to gather, discuss and debate. You trusted us to be adults and not like children that need to be sat in the corner for a week or a month for some minor infraction.

The members make a site. When you lose site of that, you have nothing.

Debby Sunshine
Freshman Silent

Thanks so much Perrie! And for helping me start my site too!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Thanks Retired Military! I'm so glad to have met you!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Thanks Neetu! You always make me smile!6.gif

Soovivers
Freshman Silent
link   Soovivers    11 years ago

Wonderful job Perrie. And they said it couldn't be done. Didn't they? 77.gif Well ya did it girl!!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Thanks Sooves!

Yeah, they sure did say that it couldn't be done..... yet here we are!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Hi Jewel!

It is wonderful to see so many old friends find their way here! Mac and I have put a lot of TLC into this place, but as I always say, it's the membership that makes a group and we have never forgotten that.

And thank you for being such a good friend both here and FB!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

LOL Randy..

Well being one of those who stuck with us right from the get go... I have to say you either had faith in the group... or your as mad as a hatter. I'm going with faith.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    11 years ago

I had to laugh at your comment, Pat, because I just posted a welcome message that said that although we may be Davids, we are not able to defeat the Comcast Goliath. I meant individually we could not bring Goliath down, but with a class action lawsuit and a criminal charge brought for breach of trust (because of the confiscation of our earnings) I believe it could be the stone that stings at least.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Can we have a nice cake to celebrate?

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson    11 years ago

Thank you for all your efforts, Perrie. I don't know how you manage it!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Yes you can... go here:

perriescupcakes.com

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

It is my pleasure Pat, especially when I meet a nice new person like you, it makes it all worth it.

Erinn Rich
Freshman Silent
link   Erinn Rich    11 years ago

This site definitely has been a comfort, and as the old saying goes... one door closes, another opens!

:)

Thanks Perrie and all those who have been so welcoming during this crazy time! MWAH!!!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Well Erinn, I have to say that I love seeing you around again!

Soovivers
Freshman Silent
link   Soovivers    11 years ago

She does Neetu and has for some time now. Aren't they great???

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

It's my dirty little secret, LOL! And thanks Sooves!

Broliver "TheSquirrel" Stagnasty
Freshman Silent
link   Broliver "TheSquirrel" Stagnasty    11 years ago

You can Post video directly into a comment.

In the comment box, click on the third icon over, the one that looks like a piece of movie film. Doing that will bring up a dialog box where you can paste the info on where to get the video from the net. This code is usually found somewhere on the page that the video is located on under a heading such as "Embed Code"

Broliver "TheSquirrel" Stagnasty
Freshman Silent
link   Broliver "TheSquirrel" Stagnasty    11 years ago

Sorry, didn't notice that you had already addressed this, Perrie.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur    11 years ago

"No concept exists without its opposite!"

Could we enjoy the first perfect day of Spring as much if we never experienced a cold, damp day in January? Leaving a long-standing relationship that has turned bad may seem nearly as painful as staying in it; the fear of what we may encounter beyond, may feel more daunting than the one with which we are familiar.

What happened in the "other" place was in part because the powers-that-be over there seemed not to value the input of its once-"family" members.

Years ago, when I represented workers who were called on the carpet by management, I'd occasionally apprise an arrogant, pompous boss that "WORKER ATTITUDE CAN REFLECT MANAGEMENT."

The keys to the success of The NewsTalkers are and will be the same as in many personal and professional situations, that being the use of COMMON SENSE, COMMON COURTESY and the WILLINGLESS TO LISTEN TO ONE ANOTHER.

Welcome to new members and thank you to those who have been here awhile.

A. Mac

Change has a considerable psychological impact on the human mind. T...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Oh Perrie, that's so baaaaaaaaad. Here in China they eat dog, and I would never knowingly do that, and besides, my wife would kill me if I ate that much sugar. Even in Toronto my ex and I bought cakes at a Chinese bakery because they're so much lighter.

(Wierd - the first time I tried to post this message I clicked "Add Reply" and the message disappeared)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

I like that quotation, A.Mac. Few people, I believe, have gone through "change" as much as I have done - and in my late 60s. I gave up my profession, my home, my wife, my driving a car, moved to the other side of the world and started along a whole new path in life, teaching, living in a totally different culture, marrying a wonderful woman of a different race. I feel rejuvenated, have extended my life's experiences, and broadened my outlook by doing so - all a result of change.

krounded
Freshman Silent
link   krounded    11 years ago

Congratulations Perrie! Glad to hear so many have found this outlet. I'm sure there will be more! And thank you! (Or spank you, depending on the point of view :-)

Kara Shalee
Freshman Silent
link   Kara Shalee    11 years ago

Perrie, I am so happy for the success of your site. This is a friendly place, and you see to it that people are accepted and respected. Thank you very much for your work has increased. It is appreciated.