╌>

With Growth and Apparent Success Comes the Need for Reflection and Reason and to React Intelligently

Category:  Other

Via:  a-macarthur  •  11 years ago  •  23 comments

With Growth and Apparent Success Comes the Need for Reflection and Reason and to React Intelligently

If you've been a NewsTalkers Member for a while, doubtless you've noted the recent explosion in our membership. This surge of old and new friends to our site is the manifestation of more than one phenomenon not the least of which is characterized by the metaphor ...

" Build a better mousetrap, and the world will beat a path to your door ."

And what is The NewsTalkers "better mousetrap"? I think it to be the simple wisdom of listening to people, determining what most of them prefer, deciding if it's a worthwhile and viable preference, and if it is, and if, in this case, we at The NewsTalkers can satisfy that preference to some degree to go for it!

We did, and a nice chunk of the cyber corner folk who seem to like and wish to hang out in indeed beat a path over to our door.

All that's good. So let's keep in the front of our minds, that possibly the best component of our "better mousetrap" is its SELF-MODERATING, NON-HOSTILE YET OFTEN HOT-AND-HEAVY DISCUSSION STYLE and the quite-limited number of incidents of sending out the PURPLE - THAT IS THE NEED FOR AN ADMINISTRATOR OR OTHER MODERATOR TO DELETE A COMMENT OR, WORSE CASE SCENARIO, A MEMBER.

NOTE: Such deletions are notified by the use of, yup, PURPLE.

My point in posting this be reasonable to one another in the face of our success by all means, make your case, take a stand, tell-it-like (you believe) it is.

Just remember, "It's not personal -- it's strictly business."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   seeder  A. Macarthur    11 years ago

Be kind to each other and enjoy our success!

Broliver "TheSquirrel" Stagnasty
Freshman Silent
link   Broliver "TheSquirrel" Stagnasty    11 years ago

Be nice. Be polite. Follow those unwritten rules and we won't have any problems.

Hell, most of the time,you can even be an ass. Personally I don't care or such behavior, but to each his own.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

It's quite possible to speak powerfully without being insulting. Let your facts be the heart of your presentation.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    11 years ago

Wonderful article, A. Mac!

I can see where we may need to expand our article portion on the front page, though... Everyone enjoys writing!

Love, y'all, and THANKS for this great place to come!!! Smile.gif

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent
link   Nigel Dogberry    11 years ago

Great ideas, like these, often need repeating now and again. Thanks.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Thanks for the positive feedback!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    11 years ago

I can see where we may need to expand our article portion on the front page, though... Everyone enjoys writing!

I have noticed that too! Right now I have it at the standard max, but maybe there is a code that I can find to extend it. Also look for article on the "Columnist" Mod to the right of the Forum. That is where alloriginalwritinggoes.

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA    11 years ago

I would also urge patience. If you encounter a new person acting inappropriately, explain it to them why we don't do that here, rather than just flying off the handle at them. Most of them have never operated in the kind of atmosphere we have here and it might be a bit strange to them.

wmolaw
Professor Silent
link   wmolaw    11 years ago

Oh Bull Mike. Don't be so damned sycophantic!

Let your facts be the heart of your presentation.

You and I both know that A.Mac's "heart of his presentation" is usually some cut and pasted balderdash from some completely unknown web site.

For those who don't know I'm kidding. Here <sarc>

I need to assign a key to a sarc macro.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

You and I both know that A.Mac's "heart of his presentation" is usually some cut and pasted balderdash from some completely unknown web site.

Objectively written, actual reporting may appear UNKNOWN at first to those who rot their minds watching Fox, listening to Rush and buying gold from Glenn Beck

but that's why new experiences can sometimes be rewarding.

NOTE 1: Give me a break; who the fuck sees Russia from their house

while facing Canada?

NOTE 2: I'm kidding of course, 'cept for the seeing Russia part.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Gunny,

Thank you; the more new members see that the older heads here concur on the value of civility and common sense, the more comfortable they'll feel here and the more likely they will stay and contribute discussion, photos, ideas ...

wmolaw
Professor Silent

@A.Mac:

Know what, I have never, ever listened to Rush. I have never seen Beck, not once.

I do know a communist when I see one, however, no matter that they now prefer the term "progressive."

Note, whether one faces North, or South, one is ALWAYS facing Canada in the US of A.

Or were you not aware that, in fact, the Earth is ROUND!

Do we have to continue to say we're kidding? Kind of ruins the posts.

wmolaw
Professor Silent

On a serious note. I am a member of a pipe maker's forum. When you join you are directed to read a lengthy post. Kind of like being required to read the COC here as well as the thoughts of many long time posters.

Might be worthwhile to try something like that here.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Know what, I have never, ever listened to Rush. I have never seen Beck, not once.

That's funny; they speak highly of you.

Note, whether one faces North, or South, one is ALWAYS facing Canada in the US of A.

Not facing west if in Alaska.

Or were you not aware that, in fact, the Earth is ROUND!

I had heard that.

Fact ... do you know why ships, etc. appear to fall off of the earth when moving beyond the HORIZON? Hint: For the same reason there is a limit as to why, despite the earth's roundness (it's actually an oblate spheroid -- so you'll know for next time), we can not see around i.e. corners.

Do we have to continue to say we're kidding? Kind of ruins the posts.

Agreed let 'em get a friggin clue.

Really though, I gotta' get some work done. Later Dude.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton    11 years ago

What kinda Fascist tripe is this!?

Just kiddin'!

:~)

Great article A. Mac and thank you!

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

What kinda Facist tripe were ya' lookin' for?

And, you're welcome.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    11 years ago

Keeping this on top of the pile for a while... It's a great article and shouldn't be buried!!! Smile.gif

Physicist-retired
Freshman Silent
link   Physicist-retired    11 years ago

Let your facts be the heart of your presentation.

If that actually happens here, I'll be spending a lot of time on NewsTalkers, AMac.

Very good to 'see' you again, my friend.

Broliver "TheSquirrel" Stagnasty
Freshman Silent
link   Broliver "TheSquirrel" Stagnasty    11 years ago

Do they have a different format, one that takes up less room on the screen?

It would be better, imho, if the avatar were beside the name with the title underneath... and maybe a follow this author app

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Feeling is mutual PR.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    11 years ago

Mac is a perfect mix of wisdom and talent - even when his foot is incapacitated. How could that have happened? It certainly wasn't caused by trying to put his foot in his mouth.

Anyways, I'm really happy that he and Perrie are the principal moderators. At least here we should not have to be the victim of the horrid insulting personal attacks that made NV so uncomfortable, yet was rarely dealt with by NV staff.

bitemore Gfotwo
Professor Silent
link   bitemore Gfotwo    11 years ago

You folks (A. Mac and Perrie) have done an exceptional job of creating a comfortable site that everyone can enjoy. It has something for everyone, and doesn't feel like a first-grade classroom. Yes, there are rules (the CoC), but members here are treated as adults. We are expected to behave as adults, and it's funny: when something is expected of people, they tend to deliver it.

And, as of today, this is my new "home." I deleted my account at "that other place." It is all gone, finished, and my next step will be to remove the bookmarks. Then, when I have some time, I can start putting up articles here.

I want to express my sincere thanks for being able to have a site like this. It fulfills apurpose, not just for me, but for what must now be hundreds (and someday thousands) of others who look for that certain "something" in a site that makes it feel like a cozy little community. You haveachievedthis. You deserve a pat on the back.

Thank you.

Kim Lyvang
Freshman Silent
link   Kim Lyvang    11 years ago

You were always subtle but strong in your comments. They were respectful and demeaning in a special way. Always enjoyed your comments.