╌>

NewsTalkers is Two Years Old Today!

Category:  Other

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  12 years ago  •  68 comments

NewsTalkers is Two Years Old Today!

I can't believe it, but NewsTalkers is two years old today! So much has happened in those 2 years. We had a period of growing pains and finally found our footing. We have grown from 20 odd souls to almost 200!After the group tried out 7 platforms, we moved from the nowdefunct Grouply, to Ning. We are now visited by over 40 countries daily and have been visited by over 300,000 people (278,000 at Ning alone). Talk about growth!

But none of this would have been possible without those members who stuck it out with NT through thick and thin. There are so many to thank. First, I would like to thank A. Mac, for taking on the thankless job of co-admin and providing us with endless amounts of beautiful pictures. I would also like to thank thoseoriginalmembers, who stuck it out with us. I'm going to take the risk and mention those by name, and hope I don't leave anyone out. Larry C, Larry Hampton, Peter Faden, Bruce, Rich, Shel R, Feronia, Max, Krishner, Mal, Mike, Soovivers,Jonathan P, Wmolaw (Terry), Gene, Gene, Tina, Arch-Man, Al, Ben, Robert G, Buzz, Randy, Jay, Holly, Kori, & Summer. If your name wasn't mention.. you can spank me. I'll deserve it.

I would also like to welcome all the new members. I hope that you are finding NT to be a fun and warm place. My job here is to make everyone happy and I hope that you all are feeling that way.

NT was founded on the idea that the members make the group and that the members should decide on policy and operation. I hope that we havefulfilledthat ideal. There is always room for improvement, so if you ever think something needs to betweaked, you know where to find me.

Here is to many years to come!

Your ResidentAdvisor,

Perrie~

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
link   Trout Giggles    12 years ago

Happy Birthday to you!Grin.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    12 years ago

Thanks Robin! Great to have you with us!

Uptownchick
Junior Silent
link   Uptownchick    12 years ago

Happy Anniversary!! I am so so so happy to have found this place and in particular you, Perrie. Like I said before you ROCK!!! Thanks for making this such a pleasant place to hang out...I hope to be around for a very long time!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Thanks John! That was so sweet of you!

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA    12 years ago

You're doing great Perrie. One of the best sites I've seen.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Uppy, I am so glad that you found this place, too! You ROCK too, my Billy Joel Bud! And thanks for the warm wishes! Hope this is your River of Dreams....

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Wow, that is such a nice compliment TTGA! But I couldn't have done it without Mac.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur    12 years ago

Yes she could have ...

But I'm glad she didn't!

10657_discussions.jpg A. Mac/2012

Click on the Anniversary Card for best view.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

See, this is why I couldn't have. Great card Mac! Makes me feel like I'm there..

Thanks for everything. I can never say that enough!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Thanks Mickey... and we are never 1 year older. We age like fine wine. LOL!

Uptownchick
Junior Silent
link   Uptownchick    12 years ago

Always....it's funny how some things just seem to fall into place!6.gif

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent
link   Nigel Dogberry    12 years ago

Two years old ???!!! Great and happy birthday. I will sing. There. Wasn't that lovely? I used to sing in the Albuquerque Civic Light Opera Workshop which is now defunct. Maybe it was my singing that drove them out of business? The building they were in became a mortuary and now it is a restaurant. Is that creepy or what? I just can't go in there for a sammich knowing that there was a stinky old dead body in there where the kitchen is now. ICK.

Anyway, I am rambling. Happy Birthday, NT and Perrie. Thanks for this perfect hideout for KK and it's members.77.gif

I had to look up Ning cause I didn't know what it is. So, are you using Ning Pro or Ning Plus?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal

but I don't like animal crackers!!!!!102.gif

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal

yea...Lorna Doones, Thin Mints, Vienna Fingers....shall I go on?

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

10658_discussions.jpg Oatmeal for me! (A. Mac)

Arch-Man
Freshman Silent
link   Arch-Man    12 years ago

Happy Birthday NT 36.gif - And it's so cool to see my name on the list.69.gif

Pedro
Professor Participates
link   Pedro    12 years ago

Happy Birthday! Curiously, I dont feel any older. I wonder if we collectively do. :)

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton    12 years ago

Happy birthday News Talkers and congrats Perrie!

Makes me wanna dance...

30075yu908.gif

...like a white guy!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

LOL! Yes I am better off with NT. I can't say that we didn't have our ups and downs, but the ups have been plentiful and I have had the pleasure of making such wonderful friends! All in all I have not regretted the decision at all.

MalamuteMan
Professor Quiet
link   MalamuteMan    12 years ago

Happy Birthday NT!!!!

[Mal howls the Malamute Birthday song...]

Arroooooooo Arroooo Arroo Arrooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Grump,

Thanks for the B-day wishes!

So you sang. I'm impressed. So much talent here. Larry Hampton's wife sings too. Nice Halloween story you got there about your old digs. Who would have thought that an opera center would have gone through so many changes... but I doubt it was you voice, LOL!

KK is a wonderful addition to NT. We were once hiding out, too, so to speak.

As to your Ning question, you are one smart cookie. We are presently on Ning Plus with the goal of growing to Ning Pro. Ning has been a great choice and I couldn't have done it without all my members doing the testing.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Feronia!

Now we can officially act like two year-olds.

You mean we couldn't before? LOL!

Oh wait... sometimes we already do. : )~

Yup and I wouldn't trade that in for anything.

Also a special little thank you my fine kitty friend. You were very supportive during that really nasty period, and I have never forgotten that. Just thought you should know!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Wow.. where did those just come from...

Damn... I feel my butt getting larger by the moment.

[munch, munch, munch...]

Yummy!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Thanks Arch, and I never forget those who took the chance and made the leap here, especially when we were just so small. Thank you Arch!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Curiously, I dont feel any older. I wonder if we collectively do. :)

You will be forever young, Peter! But as a collective.. man we be damn old. Maybe dead. Could be Zombes even!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Wow, it seems like just yesterday when I suggested this whole idea to you, back in the "green" days.

Well when Mike Lonkouski speaks people listen!

I look forward to another great year here at The New Stalkers.

Go ahead and joke, but just last week some person on the vine, took that same pot shot. But from you.. well I know you say it with love and to bust my chops.

And thanks Mike. Couldn't have done it without you.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

LOL Larry...

It sure looks like you dancing! LOL!

A big Whoop goes out to you and all your support!

Thanks Bud!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Arroooooooo Arroooo Arroo Arrooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo... back at ya Mal. Not only are you anoriginalNTer, but my first real friend on the vine. If it wasn't for your mentorship, I doubt I would be here today. Thanks for everything my doggy pal!

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates

Absolutely.

Many have tried and failed; it's not an easy task.

Cheers indeed!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Wow Mike, that was a really great post! I think you out did yourself... and who knew that was possible?

It has been a blast and a group effort for sure. We should all make a toast!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal

yum yum36.gif

Feddy
Freshman Silent
link   Feddy    12 years ago

Happy Birthday to NewsTalkers! Yay! Perrie you're just the best. Grin.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Thanks Feddy! You're pretty neat, too! (and very cute)

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

I feel ya pain Mike. I really do.77.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Well Gene... and I did hope you took note of your name in the article, we couldn't have done it without you.. you sly old dog! And how did you know I like a big ole slap on my bottom? Who told ya? Names! I need Names!

SEMPER FI to the both of ya!

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA    12 years ago

did you know I like a big ole slap on my bottom? Who told ya? Names! I need Names!

I'll volunteer. Any time. Any place. Speak and I am yours (hell, twitch your eyebrows and I am yours).

Neale Osborn
Freshman Silent
link   Neale Osborn    12 years ago

Hoppy Boithday, NewStalkers!!!Grin.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Why I otta... bang zoom to the moon!

Was that bad Brooklyneese used to call us stalkers...

You know.. that makes you a stalker, too....

24.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

I so humbly bow at your feet just to kiss them(after you wash them of course). Grin.gif

Believeme... the only way you would even get near those puppies is if I washed them first

This little guy comes to mind when talking about my feet:

Pepe le pew

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Hey..TTGA!! Your my kind of guy! Ready and willing!

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    12 years ago

This has been a blast for 2 years in a row . When will this ecstasyend ?!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

East Side West Side. no one is safe in New York Shitty.

Not true Gene! You need to read Larry Hampton's article, "A New York Minute in a week". We have a wonderful safe city. Far from the days of the Lords of Flatbush.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

When you start your strip tease act.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Terry,

Basic rule of thumb is that a lefty will never become a righty and vice versa. The thing that I tell both sides is that you are talking to the very quiet but ever reading Indies, like me. I tell both sides not to getdiscouraged, since we are theaudience. Try to keep that in mind, when you get frustrated.

Oh and welcome!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Who or what is FSM?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal

good one, Mouse113.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Our lefties are pretty cool as are our righties. Makes for good discussions.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

[slaps forehead] OY!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

LOL.. that must of really hurt Mickey... but thanks!41.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

I would love to show you around and wash my feet. Just ask Larry. I give a good tour LOL! It would be my pleasure!

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates

We had a wonderful time!

Lottsa nice folks in NY City; actually a superb experience, especially thanks to thewonderfulhosting!

:~)

~check it out~

Soovivers
Freshman Silent
link   Soovivers    12 years ago

Happy Birthday to NewsTalkers and they said it couldn't be done. Ya did it Perrie!! And AMac and whoever I'm missing.Grin.gif

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Hey Soovie ...

Among the missing are ...

Larry C, Larry Hampton, Peter Faden, Bruce, Rich, Shel R, Feronia, Max, Krishner, Mal, Mike, Soovivers,Jonathan P, Wmolaw (Terry), Gene, Gene, Tina, Arch-Man, Al, Ben, Robert G, Buzz, Randy, Jay, Holly, Kori, & Summer

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Hey Sooves,

Thanks grooven Kitty girl! Yeah, we all did it! Pretty cool! I don't think you missed a day sign on. So give yourself a round ofapplause.

Soovivers
Freshman Silent

I lurk a lot as you know. I'm proud of you all. I'm not naming anyone again. lols

Perrie you be careful out there today - that storm looks like it's coming your way.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Sooves, we are going to be getting a direct hit. I have to say that for the first time I am dreading this. My huge trees, the long term power outages. It so sucks. Oh well....

Soovivers
Freshman Silent

Perrie - I'll be thinking positive thoughts for you and the others around you. It's supposed to hit this afternoon isn't it? I hope ya got a generator and food and a fireplace or two. Good luck.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Philly and Long Island and everywhere around and in-between are in a direct path of the storm center. I have several poplar trees in my backyard ... 100 feet tall.

Let me say what will be said by others when this storm has finally passed ... this is what global climate change has been predicted to generate ... storms and weather patterns never before seen in recorded history. This year's September was the warmest on record.

Even some of the corporate types are beginning to acknowledge the manifestations ... once their greed, denial and propaganda bite them in the ass, they pay attention.

After this storm and those that may follow, that "shit storm" I keep talking about, will be rising. The 1% has fucked many lives and has bought a significant portion of the government and the courts ... two set of rules ... let us eat cake ...

The greedy bastards almost destroyed the economy, my retirement income, the value of my home and now they want my social security, health insurance and medicare!

The pigs who throw us to the wolves are enabled by the support of haters who haven't the balls to say what they really think, who salivate over each piece of demagoguery that serve as surrogates for the cut-off-their-nose-to-spite-their-faces stupidity!

It's time to say "ENOUGH!"

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Well, if you guys can hold out for another year, at least your injuries will be addressed by their death panels.

The words of Sarah Palin ...

I rest my case.

Well, at least we'll still have plenty of illegal aliens to clean-up the mess...

The greatest single source of employment of illegals are the Republican-backing corporate farms ... the same hypocrites who cry the loudest about "illegals."

I rest, rest my case.

And which party fought to keep the mileage standards for new car manufactures HIGHER than those proposed by the other party?

Which party pimps for the oil lobby ... held the middle class taxpayer hostage over subsidies for oil companies?

Fact checking has been pissed on by those who don't want the facts.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Face it A.Mac., the list of "Global Warming Believers" is getting shorter by the day.

The opposite is true ... it includes both corporations and the public in general.

Americans increasingly believe in global warming, Yale report says

For the first time since the United States entered a deep recession five years ago, 70% of Americans now say they believe global warming is a reality, according to researchers.

In a report released Thursday by the Yale Project on Climate Change Communication, authors wrote that Americas concern about global warming is now at its highest level since 2008, and that 58% of Americans expressed worries about it.

Historically Americans have viewed climate change as a distant problem -- distant in time and distant in space -- and perceived that it wasnt something that involved them, said environmental scientist and lead author Anthony Leiserowitz. That gap is beginning to close, however ... were seeing a jump in the number of people who believe it will affect them or their families.

American attitudes on climate change shifted remarkably during the recession. While 71% of Americans said they believed that global warming was real just prior to the recession in late 2008, the number of believers had plummeted to 57% by 2010, according to the study. By the same token, the share of Americans who did not believe in global warming before the recession stood at 10%, whereas today its 12%.

Many climate scientists said they believed public perception changed dramatically after the start of the recession -- in part -- because economic worries took precedence in peoples minds.

In recent years, however, the number of people who say that global warming is real has grown steadily, according to study authors.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Right Mike,

When you can't rebut with facts, you can always ridicule me.

Straw men, demagoguery ... that's the game.

I'll try not to have any more serious discussions ...

What was I thinking?

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

I can see why it would bother you that more Americans believe in Angels, than believe in Global Warming, but it isn't my fault.

Precisely the heart of the problem ... religious crazies living in LaLa Land reject science and accept angels ...

... along with Romney and all those right-wing pols that pander to their psychotic state of mind known as "religiosity"!

Just love those who are simultaneously PRO-LIFE, PRO-GUN, PRO-WAR, PRO-TORTURE, PRO-DEATH PENALTY, ANTI-ENVIRONMENT and ANTI-HEALTH INSURANCE FOR POOR CHILDREN!

And the REAL IRONY ... given this "mentality," I'd have to seriously consider their belief that EVOLUTION is a myth! Clearly, evolution has failed to touch some of them. And yet, I do have to wonder how such levels of stupidity could occur in just a few hundred thousand years.

Ironically I say ...

"God help us all!"

And "facts" are not relative ... not according to science which does not assign the status of "fact" to a phenomenon until it has been subjected to hypothetical consideration, experimentation, conclusion based on repeated verifications, and even then, further study with the objectivity that allows "fact" to be reconsidered regarding its veracity.

Not so with superstition and religion.

The heavy rain is starting here ... I'll be back when I can.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Yep, both camps are replete with hypocrisy and conflicted ideologies.

Several times I've noted the left's hypocrisies ... PRO-ANIMAL RIGHTS, PRO-CHOICE, ANTI-DEATH PENALTY ...

We don't disagree on everything.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    12 years ago

Wow!!! So late to the table, no cake left but I have to limit my sugar these days anyway. However, I just had to check in to say that you think you couldn't have done it without us, but I say that we couldn't have done it without you. Thanks, Perrie, for giving us this home. Grin.gif

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

10659_discussions.jpg Hey Buzz ...

Cake!

Larry Crehore
Freshman Silent
link   Larry Crehore    12 years ago

I missed this earlier but "Happy Birthday" looking forward to many more as we grow.113.gif