╌>

Meta: Everything you wanted to know about NT, but were afraid to ask.

Category:  Other

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  12 years ago  •  119 comments

Meta: Everything you wanted to know about NT, but were afraid to ask.

Go ahead. Ask me any question and I will answer it. No question too silly. No question too personal.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    12 years ago

Are you asking for trouble ?Tongue.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    12 years ago

Heck no. But the bases of this site was transparency, and the new members might want to know stuff that we already know..

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Red with fishnet stockings.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

OK , I'll ask a serious question . Explain the NT policy on calling someone else a liar ...

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

You can not call someone a liar, unless you can actually prove that they lied. Of course, this is a very difficult thing to do, since most things are subject tointerpretation and that is why it is not a good thing to do.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

I think I may write an article about this issue ... a meta-article .

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Why? The policy is very clear. Look, most of the time, calling someone a liar, is a personal attack. Once in a very blue moon, calling someone a liar is the truth and that this is a pattern of behavior, but you better have the proof to back up that statement. It's better to say that the statement is a lie.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

I think it is important to clarify some of the fine points of this issue . And to borrow an expression from the gun debate : "Statements don't lie . People do."

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Ya know.. this is a topic best deferred to another time. This article was meant for more direct questions.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Good question Gene!

The speed that a page loads depends on the number of features. The chat function, the photo gallery, the RSS feed, these all go into page loading time. The chat feature is very useful and fun. But if as a group some of the other functions are slowing us up too much, I am open to removing them.

BTW, using google chrome or clearing your history and cookies will speed things up.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Actually, the main chat room should be cleared every night, just as routine house keeping. It is always off until you go in an make a comment. Every other member will get a red number to show that there are active comments being made in the chat room.

Just suggestion for a little more svelt appearance .

Could you be a little more specific? What would you do away with?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Simple! Our pages are much shorter than NV so there is no need for back to the top. Pages are usually only 12 comment long. It does make for more pages though. To get from one page to another quicker, go to the bottom of the page and put in which page you would like to go to and hit "go".

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Yes. We are hamster powered, but we only use union hamsters, so no worries. They even get free benefits.

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA    12 years ago

why dont we have a back to top of page button?

I kinda wondered about that one too Gunny, but it only takes a second to move the slider to the top so I didn't figure it was too important.

Perrie,

Here's one I was interested in. I know that we can imbed photos from our computers, even within a comment thread (a great improvement in my book), but is there some way to do so with video clips that don't come from someplace like U-Tube? I'd like to be able to post video clips from my own computer. Is it possible or, if not, can I upload them to something like SkyDrive and then download them here. That way I could bore people silly with my home movies.

Also, is there some way of tracking friend comments or all comments on articles you've commented on; much like the friend tracker and comment tracker over on NV. Is there an internal method of doing that or do we need to use the E-Mail notification method. That works, of course, but tends to fill up the Inbox pretty fast.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

LOL... Well, I'd like to say that there is something I can do about it, but it is not part of the Ning program, Ning being the platform that this site uses.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Hi TTGA,

Question 1.There is only one way to get those home video clips on the site, and that is to convert them first on Youtube. All that means is setting up a youtube account, and making it private. The reason is simple. Video clips can cause corruption of the system, and those that clear youtube, are clean of any corruption of code. Sorry that there is no direct way to do this, but if you go to youtube, and search the newstalkers, you can see some videos I did with my camera, and it was easy to upload them from my camera and then be able to post them here.

Question 2 YES! You go to your homepage and go to discussion, which is on the left hand side.Click on it and it will bring you to another page. I always keep this page tabbed, and hit refresh for new comments. It will look like this:

Discussions Replied To (5411) Replies Latest Activity

" LOL... Well, I'd like to say that there is something I can do about it, but it is no " This is the start of the comment I made

You replied 16 minutes ago to Meta: Everything you wanted to know about NT, but were afraid to ask. Article that the comments were made in

23 Number of total comments 13 minutes ago
Reply by Gene Yarbrough This is who replied to my comment and how long ago

" Peter, I didn't see anything about Catholics, or other Christian faiths in particula "

You replied 25 minutes ago to Islamic Center of Murfreesboro: After Long Fight, Opening Day For Tennessee Mosque

This is how I track my comments. If I want to see a friends in particular, I have to go to their page and hit discussions and it will give you your friends comment history. This is one of the reasons we make friends on NT. The other is privacy settings.

62 25 minutes ago
Reply by Perrie Halpern

TTGA
Professor Silent

Cool, thanks Perrie.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

No probs!

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

You're a cat fuhgawdsakes ... dig a hole anywhere you feel like it . But cover it up when you're done .Tongue.gif

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

Max ,

I don't think you get what I'm planning . It would NOT be an article in which to attack each other . It would be a general discussion of the issue of what tactics would be considered appropriate on NT .

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

That is certainly one possible strategy . But the place to discuss this is in that meta-article when it comes out ... not here .

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

That does not mean in Perrie's lap ... not even on her couch !

TTGA
Professor Silent

Nope, only in Rich's back yard. I'll send mine over there too, and you can party (you bring the catnip).

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

That's fine with me, so long as Rich knows he's on pooper scooper patrol.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Thong

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Good question. Maybe if you smoke it.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

I am NOT gonna clean up Fero's poop . That is final ! However , my back yard is available for party "poopers" .105.gif

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

Toys ? How about live field mice ?

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

If the field mice are not acceptable there is always a dead squirrel to dig up .

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

I forgot about that. Now I feel sad.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

I was sad too ... back then . It is all squirrel-under-the-bridge by now ...

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

In my experience Knievel has no respect for the dead of any species . He has left me a many a "gift" from the netherworld . And in answer to your question there are no ferns of any color there . What is the significance ?

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

No , I haven't . But having looked it up I can see why ...

Ben
Freshman Silent
link   Ben    12 years ago

I KEEP LOSING MY COMMENTS!!!! Helppppppppppppp9.gif

Feddy
Freshman Silent
link   Feddy    12 years ago

I wish I had a question, but I don't. lol But this is a really good article Perrie! Grin.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Thanks Fed! And if you ever do think of a question, just ask me even without an article.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

What do you mean Ben? Do you post and they disappear?

Feddy
Freshman Silent
link   Feddy    12 years ago

Ok Perrie. That's one of the things I love about you. You're just so sweet! Grin.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

9.gif

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

She is sweet ... in between the times she is sour or bitter .

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Hey! Meanie. You better be nice, or I'll tickle you!

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

Then there are those times she is salty ... need I say more ...38.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

I prefer spicy.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

Spicy is good ...18.gif

leonahardware
Freshman Silent
link   leonahardware    12 years ago

How do I post a youtube video? I've tried using the "media" prompt, but I don't know where to find the "embedded code" from the video that I would like to post.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Hi Leona,

A very good question. Here is what you do. On top of each posting box, there is an icon that looks like film, which is the third on one from the left. It will bring up a large yellow box. Next go to youtube and pick the video you want. Click share, then it will bring up another box that has embed and click that. That is the embed code. Copy it and now come back to this site, and paste it into the yellow box and then hit OK and then reply and you are done.

Let me know how that works out for you.

leonahardware
Freshman Silent
link   leonahardware    12 years ago
I will try it at lunch time. Thank you:-)

Ben
Freshman Silent

Nope.....I mean, "How do I follow my old comments without have to remember where I put them?" I'm always losing where I put stuff and now it is happening to my comments.43.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

You go to your home page (my page) and on the left had side you will see "discussions". If you click on that, it will take you to every comment you ever made. Each item is a hyperlink, so all you have to do is click on them. It is the groups tracker. You can also use this on to find your friends comments by going to their page and clicking on discussions.

Does that answer your question? Or is it something else?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Be very worried!109.gif

Ben
Freshman Silent

Yes! Thank you!Grin.gif

wmolaw
Professor Silent
link   wmolaw    12 years ago

Why can't you? Hell, that just invites skirting, which is ludicrous and, IMO, destructive.

Can you call someone a commie dipshit?

wmolaw
Professor Silent

LOL, see what I mean Perrie?

Sure, hell, we've all discussed this but many folks just don't get it and still go ballistic so I'm coming around to the point that you may as well speak your mind, hell, they'll be offended anyway!

Did I ever tell you the joke, "suck one dick!" It is apropos to this issue.

wmolaw
Professor Silent

Damn, no wonder we pay such high fees!

Damn unions.

Neale Osborn
Freshman Silent
link   Neale Osborn    12 years ago

24.gif SMOM! You've NEVER been innocent!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Go ahead.. I'd like to hear it Terry!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

No. But you can say that their comments reflect that.

Hey, try calling someone that on the vine! I bet that you get booted before you type the last letter.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Heck they scare me! I still remember the movie "Willard".

Neale Osborn
Freshman Silent

.02 (My two cent's worth)

Feronia, I like a little pussy in my lap. You can always nap there.

Perrie- from the picture, you are a redhead. Green goes better with red hair. Just sayin'.

Bruce- You are just........never mind!

Gene- Go wash your brain out- your mind is dirty again.

Randy- Never been innocent, never will be. But then, neither is Ryan.

General- Hamster powered? Is that a "green energy" source? Or do hamster farts contribute to global warming.

Well, that's enough for now! Oh, any of you ladies wanna come to my house and get nekkid in the hot tub? I promise not to take any pictures!44.gif

Neale Osborn
Freshman Silent

See my .02 comment.Grin.gif

wmolaw
Professor Silent

And I would give a shit why?

wmolaw
Professor Silent

Damnit, started to type it, got half way through and then screwed the pooch!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

I am indeed a red head. I will take that underadvisement. Green it is!

Hamsterpower is a cheap. But the farts to contribute to global warming, but I am also helping the economy by employing theunemployable. You should see what they spend on wheels and toys, never mind the kibble!

Oh, any of you ladies wanna come to my house and get nekkid in the hot tub? I promise not to take any pictures! 44.gif

Well, a girl can't be careful enough these days, so you will have to throw your phone in the hot tub with you.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

Those are not the only farts which contribute to global warming . Just consider these ...

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton    12 years ago

I know we are a small site and all, but do you think it possible we could fit a bar in here?

Bar-P1030319.jpg

...:~)

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

What the heck????

Larry, I just checked out the coding and it looks like you were trying upload a picture directly from a wiki page, am I right? If I am, did it have upload data?

Neale Osborn
Freshman Silent

Sure, but my phone doesn't HAVE a camera. It's only a phone. no camera, no texting, no Angry Birds, Hell, no ringtones. It just RINGS!!

They may well be mobbed up, Randy, but even 50-60 mobbed up hamsters can be stomped when they attack, UNLIKE UAW or ACORN workers.

Neale Osborn
Freshman Silent

Larry- you get the bar installed, I'll buy the first round! Grin.gif

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    12 years ago

Is there a way to see all my postings in one place, sort of like my column on NV? I don't see my postings on "My Page".

wmolaw
Professor Silent

Buzz:

Perrie told me how, if you are in the "forums" section, you will see links titled "All Discussions" and "My Discussions" in blue under the listing of all the groups.

Go to "My Discussions" and voila.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Terry & Buzz,

I just found an even quicker short cut.

At the top of each article discussion (like this one) it say in blue, next to a small pair of binoculars "view discussions" and BINGO your there!

This system is even better than I thought!

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

As long as it one of your your own articles you can go to your own discussions . Good feature ...

LoneRanger01
Freshman Silent
link   LoneRanger01    12 years ago

OK,I'll bite,......if a car couldtravel faster than the speed of light would the driver ever see his headlights shinning in front of him, and if he does will saying "LOL....that's so easy....LOL..... becuse books don't have pictures....LOL" get me banned from NT?Grin.gif

LoneRanger01
Freshman Silent

She said we could ask her anything....just testing the waters.....if I can or can't make fun of today's educational system...and if I do will I be banned from this site.....that was the exact statement that got me banned from NV.......

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

[[that was the exact statement that got me banned from NV.......]]

Seriously ? Was there some context that made it untouchable or was it just the trigger happy Sally at work ?

Pedro
Professor Participates
link   Pedro    12 years ago

Ummm...yes....what is that white puss like stuff on.....ummm...welll......never mind.

When is dinner?

Pedro
Professor Participates

No, the speed of light is the complete absence of time, and all matter is transformed to energy, and so everything is headlights....

LoneRanger01
Freshman Silent

there was a quote block I could not see....and the question was asked why don't you read....and I replied...noone got the joke/sarcasm with the mispelling of "becuase" to exagerate the poor education system we have.....four of five people sent in malicious reports saying I had personally attack and insulted them with the statement...allwater under the bridge.....

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

I've seen you around the vine from time to time and never saw anything objectionable . Sure you had strong opinions on some issues but I've never seen you go overboard like a lot of others do . Do you think this gang up was politically motivated ? ... cause I just don't get it .

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
Lone that sounds utterly nuts. That complaint system is always being gamed

Pedro
Professor Participates

Yep. I can attest to that.

LoneRanger01
Freshman Silent

I think it was vine politics...there was a group that didn't like me....and they kept making complaints......they will tell you how bad of a person I am but nothing Iever said was filled with as much HATE as this sentence I recieved inan email from one of them after I was banned,...."No wonder your f**king stupid wife died....only way she could get away from the sick f**k that YOU ARE"...I bleeped out the nasties.....

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

That is really sick . I wouldn't mind writing a meta article exposing that person although I'm not sure what the outcome would be ...

Pedro
Professor Participates

That is crazy and heinous all at once. You should name names. It would be good for reference should we encounter said "people" (word people used loosely).

Pedro
Professor Participates

btw...dinner turned out to be a Spicy vegan chicken sandwich with kale and tomatoes, roasted figs and apricots, and hash browned potaters.

It would have been different, but nobody spoke up....you bastards!!!!!

LoneRanger01
Freshman Silent

I don't think it would do any good.....you see these people don't think they can do any wrong........kind of like not all playing with a full deck.....

Nice idea though.....I wrote an article about the banning, I may email it to the lady boss for her approval to post it......Grin.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

That is really gross. What sickies there are out there.

LoneRanger01
Freshman Silent

Well let's not be too hard on them,....after all I had a little to do with it. I did bait them and mess with their heads a little.

they are no more than just bullies, and in my opinion bullies are just like child molesters, there is no cure for it, and they just can't help themselves....

As for naming names, two are already here, (they're both harmless, they are followers and not doersTongue.gif )the others said they will not join NT as long as I'm here,...wink,...then the emails went out to each other,....I'm sure they will join under different names and start the same crap.......what's the saying,...stupid is as stupid does....LOLGrin.gif

LoneRanger01
Freshman Silent

OK, this has bugged me all night long,....spicy VEGAN chicken sandwich.....what was the chicken a vegetarian?.....Smile.gif

LoneRanger01
Freshman Silent

Yes I did, but....the CoH does not apply to all people on the vine equally.....that is a fact and it's the number one major flaw in Newsvine and it's moderators.......

I know people say there are just too many people for the two of them to moderate, then I see such stupid,and that is Stupid with a capital S, suspensions for things like saying George Bush and being suspended or banned for derailing because they didn't specify sr. or jr......LOL one person got suspended or banned for saying "two words.....women drivers".......another person got suspended or banned for saying "you meatballs"......

That tells me they have too much time on their hands or they don't take their jobs very seriously.......

Valkyrie
Freshman Silent
link   Valkyrie    12 years ago

LR,

A few of them had it out for you because you like to have fun a tease a little bit. They couldnt take it, and took every opportunity to trash you. A couple are convinced that you were one of SWMMule's trolls even those she has repeatedly told them you werent. They supposedly cancelled a Mini Vine Meet because of fears that you knew where it was gonna be and you have guns. The pervert of the group (the one that talks about wanting to hook up with teenage boys, said after having little kids sit on his lap, he can say with certainty that they are sexual beings, and doesnt think there is anything wrong with looking in a child's window when they are changing) said you were leaving scary posts over here. He claims he isnt a member, so I think he's just trying to start more shit.

LoneRanger01
Freshman Silent

NG,...I knid of have to be careful ofwhat I say about the wolf pack...In a round about way I gave the Boss Lady my word as a Marine I would not say anything to provoke a response from them first.....

I will say this, they are not the brightest light bulbin the room. And they are still just as pridictable as they were on NV......They have done exactly what I said they would do before they did it....predicting what stupid people will do is not a hard thing to do,...Ooops, did I say that out loud?

As for the planner of that vine meet, well he has had them all fooled.....just this month he said how his father had survived his mothers passing by 20 years....that means she passed in 1992...and how he was in NYC with a tour group of German students and he didn't even get the message of her passing.....

But on another forum in 2005 he said she had passed several years ago, making her passing 2000 to 2003, a far cry from 1992 and he also said how he had only missed one meeting and did not miss any classes or leave the office.....

So which story is true? and he wonders why I call him a liar......

But in defense of the wolf pack, one of their leaders has said she has "Special Training"and knows or can tell these things,....24.gif 24.gif 24.gif 24.gif 24.gif

As for me being the person trolling SSwM...it doesn't take arocket scientist to figure that one out......26.gif 26.gif 36.gif

Valkyrie
Freshman Silent

Why not leave the politics of the vine on the vine, and not bring the dirt in here.

I was just joining in the conversation. If only certain people are allowed to bring up NV, please let me know and I wont do it again.

Valkyrie
Freshman Silent

I did not name any names. Like I said, if its something that shouldnt be talked about, I wont.

On a different topic, when did NT move? I had joined when it was on Grouply (sp?) but what having a hard time figuring out how the site worked, so I didnt spend much time there. All of a sudden it was gone. Someone said where it was, and when I came here, I had to re-join.

Valkyrie
Freshman Silent

It is especially concerning because you don't necessarily know who is here and under what name.

True, but if I were to guess, Id say your name started with a J. Grin.gif

If you're not, you have a very similar, no nonsense writing style that is very refreshing, just like he does. I especially like when he (you) tries to talk business with someone who just doesnt get it.

Valkyrie
Freshman Silent

I understand completely what you're saying, EI.

By the way, Im the same conspiracy theory believing, anti-status quo, crazy Libertarian I am over there. Name is the same, just changed my avatar pic. We've interacted- some good, some bad, mostly neutral.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

As to the issue of talking about "that other place" , we had a problem with such obsessions in the past . We set up an informal rule to not bring up issues from there and to not discuss them . But we did have an old article in which people here ID 'd themselves based on who they were there . It's been a while since we've had this many transplants arrive here at once so some talk is to be expected ... It is OK as long as the focus does not remain on "that other place" .

Pedro
Professor Participates

We have had a couple roll call articles so people who may have known each other on the vine and elsewhere would know who they are here, but that is a voluntary thing. As for the vine, discussing it isnt taboo any longer. We just try to focus on the future rather than dwell on the past. However, sometimes, things just gotta be said, and sometimes those things are related to the vine. No biggie in my opinion.

LoneRanger01
Freshman Silent

RD,....bizzare eating habits?...I've been told I'm ugly andmy momma dresses me funny, but never has anyone complained about my bizzare eating habits...24.gif 24.gif 8.gif

Pedro
Professor Participates

Nah...the chicken was actually seitan, and so it is more apprpriately called chikin.

Pedro
Professor Participates

For being a Red Wings/Lions fan. Boo-ya!!!!

Pedro
Professor Participates

P. Nongrata is unwelcome, hence....

:)

Dumbshit aint very smart, but he's reasonably handsome, so there is that. However, you might also recognize him by his other persona's, including Taco Dave, the Phantom Shitter, Shel's lesser's half, and the ever popular Peter Faden.

LoneRanger01
Freshman Silent

or peanut butter and mayo sandwiches....yum

red shadow
Freshman Silent
link   red shadow    10 years ago

how do I seed a story?????????????????????