╌>

The Meaninglessness And Vapidity Of The Internet

Category:  Other

Via:  johnrussell  •  8 years ago  •  16 comments

The Meaninglessness And Vapidity Of The Internet

I looked at a story about the death on New Years Eve of the pop standards singer Natalie Cole, because I have enjoyed her music for many years. She was a great talent in the genre. 

The story , on the pop culture web site TMZ was pretty straightforward recounting her life career and struggle with illness. Before I clicked off the page I noticed that there were over 4,700 reader comments, and I thought to my self, wow, that's nice that so many people would comment on the passing of Natalie Cole, so I clicked on the comments tab to see some of them. This is what I saw at the top

Are any of these comments even about Natalie? 
Get a room you freaks.

So I started the scroll down and saw comment after comment that was just babbling about some nonsense or another, and saw this

This is TMZ's version of a chat room. They post articles, people ignore them and engage in bizarre, meaningless banter, instead.

Scrolling briefly down farther, I saw comment after comment of what can only be described as meaningless babbling , self-referential drivel from anonymous people who can't help but talk about and refer to themselves. 

We are awash in cultural nonsense.

Not everyone, I won't go too broad brush, but it is there. I was watching one of the New Years Eve yearly recap shows and the topics were dominated by internet driven celebrity trivia. 

It's depressing.

related

http://www.tmz.com/2016/01/01/natalie-cole-dead/#disqus_thread

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell    8 years ago

Humans will use any excuse and any method to take the attention off the subject and put it on themselves when they don't deserve the attention nor do they know that people could care less about their ignorant a**.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    8 years ago

Looks like a site for people too stupid to find 4chan.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    8 years ago

Natalie Cole's death was a blow to me, anyway.  She was just 5 years older than I, and when her Daddy was popular, I often thought about her.  Then, when her Daddy passed away, I was sad for her.  No, I didn't know her, but she was someone I felt that I almost knew.  At least I knew how heartbroken she must have felt at her Daddy's death.

She was so very talented and had the gift of music.  May she rest in peace!

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Dowser   8 years ago

I loved her music, but I have to say that her doing a mix album with her father was a mistake, in spite of how many copies it sold. For me, a true Nat King Cole fan, all it did during the duets was highlight just how much of a better singer he was then she was. Don't get me wrong, I think she was great. However her father was in a league almost all his own. There have been very, very, very few singers at his level and, unfortunately, his daughter, as great as she was, was just not at that level.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick    8 years ago

One of my favorite song of all time.

and

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  sixpick   8 years ago

I LOVED Rambling Rose--- back when it was popular, I was just a kid and thought it was Rabbit and Rose...  Great song!

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
link   Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    8 years ago

John, while there were some off-the-chain silly remarks in the comment section (to wit:  eating a bowl of dicks for breakfast), most people commented in a manner appropriate in keeping with the sad news of Ms. Cole's early death.  But sometimes the meaninglessness and vapidity of the internet can spark positive feelings, as well, even if it is only in the outrageousness of a remark. 

I am the sole caretaker of a mother with Parkinson's, and a father with Alzheimer's.  I'm also dealing with a recurrence of a health issue myself.  There have been two or three times that you have blasted forth an off-topic comment so funny that it changed the entire tenor of my day.  I'm sure you think that it is silly or stupid or whatever to attribute a positive change in attitude to a stranger's comedic dialogue, so if it makes you feel better, you've pissed me off more often than not, and you even made me cry once.    

My point?  Humor seems to be a dwindling commodity these days and we need to grab it where we can find it.  Please don't be so quick to condemn the buffoonery of others (except the bowl of dicks guy who is walking a fine line and might deserve a rousing slap upside the head). 

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom   8 years ago

Dear Sister-- I was the sole caretaker of my mother for over a year, until her death 1.5 years ago, and am still so shaken by it, that I can barely go into the house, now my own home.  If I can do anything to help you, please let me know.  I understand how very difficult this must be for you, and how frustrating and lonely it can be.  

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
link   Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Dowser   8 years ago

Thanks, M.  and Auger.  

There really is a lot to be said for going in search of, and even participating in, internet idiocy, though certainly not to the exclusion of all else.  But on occasion, it can provide the most therapeutic of escapes.    

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom   8 years ago

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Dean Moriarty   8 years ago

This is funny - how ?