╌>

On the nature of spam ... by Bob Nelson

Category:  meta

Via:  bob-nelson  •  8 years ago  •  15 comments

On the nature of spam   ...   by Bob Nelson

The dictionary says:

irrelevant or inappropriate messages sent on the Internet to a large number of recipients

How does that apply to NewsTalkers? NT does not have "messages". NT has articles, seeds, and replies (often called "comments").

Does "spam" apply to articles? Could a member repeat the same article five times per day, every day... or would that be "spam"?

What if that member changed the text by one word each time? Two words? Three? How much variation is required to avoid the "spam" label?

What if a member chooses an Internet site -- Alternet , for example -- and posts the lead five articles... every day?  

If a member did such a thing... what could anyone else do in reaction? Would it be legitimate to point out the spamming?

If a member pointed out the fact... in each of those five articles per day... would those replies be spam?

What if a member used five different phrases, one for each of the five daily "spam articles"? Ten different phrases?

Does the CoC make it OK to post spam articles... and then forbid others to point out the fact that the articles are spam?

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   seeder  Bob Nelson    8 years ago

Hypothetically speaking, of course...  patience

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty    8 years ago

Seems pretty cut and dry they can choose five articles a day of their choice. It's not rocket science. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  Dean Moriarty   8 years ago

"cut and dried"

OK, then... I could post five articles every day, each of them reading: "This article is not spam!"... and nothing else.

Right?

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty  replied to  Bob Nelson   8 years ago

Yes I think you can post all five butterfly articles in the same day. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51    8 years ago
Do you have something against a member here who seeds a lot from alternet?  As long as they are five different articles seeded from there, who cares?  I'm not into content control so if a member likes alternet as a seed source I could not care much at all.  Unless that same member felt need to control what others seed from because they don't like it or don't like seeing a point of view expressed while feeling free to express their opinions.  

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   seeder  Bob Nelson    8 years ago

I don't like to see the site flooded with red-meat seeds, regardless of the source or topic. That's why I believe that your seeds are detrimental. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
link   Sean Treacy  replied to  Bob Nelson   8 years ago

The irony. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51  replied to  Bob Nelson   8 years ago

Ah, the old this site would be awesome if only there were no conservative articles seeded here and no conservatives to post comments sentiment again.  thinking

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  XXJefferson51   8 years ago

So-o-o-o-o... You are agreeing that if you seeded no more red-meat articles -- that is what I criticized -- there would be nothing at all? You agree that you seed nothing but red-meat?

I said "red-meat seeds, regardless of the source or topic". You    interpreted that to be equivalent to "conservative articles".

Do you confirm, then, that in your mind all conservative articles are red-meat? That would explain why you do not understand the notion of "policy proposition".

talk to the hand      talk to the hand

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51  replied to  Bob Nelson   8 years ago

Only a portion of my seeds are red meat.  Some on the left consider my pro conservative, GOP, or Carson seeds or advocacy for Jefferson or pro free markets, trade, low tax rates seeds to be red meat too.  

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  XXJefferson51   8 years ago

I didn't say "all". I said "most". 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51    8 years ago

Meta = progressives getting together to complain about the presence of conservatives who are as prolific on News Talkers as they are.