╌>

Front Page Politics

Category:  Other

Via:  johnrussell  •  8 years ago  •  23 comments

Front Page Politics

I just went back and looked at the headlines and blurbs for the past 100 seeds and articles posted on Newstalkers.

Some people complain that the front page is "filled" with politics.

Well. I counted 36 out of the last 100 articles that had something to do with "politics" , and I used either mention of the presidential campaign or mention of a specific politician or political question as the subject of the article as the criteria.

I don't think 36% "politics" in such an unusual presidential year as this is too much.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell    8 years ago

People should make their complaints in private and stop bitching about the content.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

"People should make their complaints in private and stop bitching about the content."

Who said:

"There is no shortage of Indian related articles on this site.

Give your complaining a rest."    ?

waving

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

I said what I said in response to 1st warrior, who is always complaining about the "front page". I don't know what he wants other than everyone to agree with him and seed things he approves of. 

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy    8 years ago

I don't think 36 percent is bad at all, especially as you say in an election year. Of course once the election is over in November some people on here will start speculating and arguing about who should run in 2020.Laugh

It's a hobby like building models or golf, etc.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
link   1stwarrior  replied to  Randy   8 years ago

No Randy - the last two are fun.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  1stwarrior   8 years ago

No Randy - the last two are fun.

Well, actually Golf is more frustrating then fun. That aside, so is arguing politics. It's fun too.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
link   1stwarrior    8 years ago

And, of course, you can't judge worth a crap.  Yes, 41% of the bullshit on the front page is about the elections that aren't coming up for another eight months.  The "postings" are from the folks who hate basically one person and it IS GETTING OLD - BORING - DULL.

Go to a political blog John where you'll feel more welcome 'til a year after the election (you know that whomever is elected won't be able to anything right).

NT is not/was not designed to punish people - and the politico's are doing a very fine job - thank you very much.

You have an issue with Native American articles/threads/seeds?  - you definitely implied it on my thread.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  1stwarrior   8 years ago

1st, you are the only one who constantly complains in public about the content of the articles. Other people do it sporadically, you do it regularly. At least a few times a week.

Newstalkers is a site that relates to the NEWS. News can of course cover a broad array of topics but presidential election year politics is definitely one of them.

As for Indian threads, I don't see any shortage of opportunities on this site for people to express themselves about Indian issues. Since you complained about the "political" articles on  a thread you had seeded to call attention to an Indian topic, we have to assume that you think there should be less articles about the election and more about Indian issues.

I disagree.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
link   1stwarrior  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

No John - there are no political articles.  There are bullshit articles where folks (the same ones of course) demean candidates - not for their future potential, but for their personality - their looks - the cars they drive - the jobs they've held - their spouses - etc. - it's a National Inquirer page, not a news page.

If you have issues with Native American articles, of which I've posted 31 in 18 months, talk to me - don't take it to the front page.  Doing so shows disrespect, dishonor and lack of trust.  Come talk with me John - not your proposed audience.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    8 years ago

It's funny, John, how if only 36 of 100 articles are about politics, that's about all we see on the Newest Comments section...  

I also complain about the lack of interesting articles here-- I don't find politics all that interesting, especially when the articles are just the latest attack fest.  I'm tired of it, and I'm sure that some others are, too.  I'd like to see a lot more, different kinds of articles on the front page, and participation in those articles.  No one seems to care about other subjects or issues, just politics.  The funny thing is that no one is EVER going to change anyone's mind, no one is EVER going to make someone change their viewpoint, and no one, me included, is EVER going to be able to discuss politics without bringing a huge personal bias to the table.  Between the personal attacks, arguments that make no sense, the distractions of other political issues, it has become a place of frustration for many of us.  

Make a statement, any statement will do, say-- The sky is blue-- and watch what happens.  "It's blue because Obama made it blue."  "The sky is becoming bluer, thanks to the pollution, and that's all someone's fault."  "Well, Bill Clinton made it blue in the 1990s and you didn't complain..."  and on and on and on.  

I would be willing to bet that if you had visited these articles, you would see that most of them are political, even if they don't start out that way.  I would bet that if you went through the latest 100 comments, you would find that MOST of them are political-- the other kinds of articles drop off the front page, with no participation...  

I usually follow what's going on here by going to latest comments...  About all I see are political comments.  But, you and I, no one is the King of NT, so that we can say what is published and what isn't.  If that is what the group wants, then that is what the group wants.  

If you don't like non-political articles, don't participate in them.  It's your choice and your right.  But, your complaints are unfounded, and who died and made you King of NT?  You have no right to tell anyone what to publish, just as I don't.  No one, but Perrie, has that right.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary  replied to  Dowser   8 years ago

Actually, John drug one article into the political this morning when it didn't have anything to do with politics.......

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell    8 years ago

Dowser, you and 1st warrior and Buzz are the people complaining, not me. 

When have you seen me publicly complain on the forum that there are too many "non-political" articles?

You people do the opposite fairly regularly. 

I have posted more non political articles to this forum than many, many other people. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates

Wanna take it to "Heated Discussions"????

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  1stwarrior   8 years ago

No, I would like you to stop complaining about the front page. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates

Ahhh - so you can attack a person on the FP and then cry foul when it's brought to your attention?

That's what HD is for.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

I thought I was just one of those "sporadic" complainers. Actually I complain more about the lack of interest in the groups.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  JohnRussell   8 years ago

There is no shortage of Indian related articles on this site.

Do you recognize your statement of complaint?  This was posted on the article, Those Kids Never Got to Go Home .  

Personally, I prefer articles like that one, to articles like this.  This is a Meta article, and should be posted as such...