╌>

An Ontario woman blindly followed her car’s GPS straight into Lake Huron. While it sank, she swam to shore

Category:  Other

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  8 years ago  •  10 comments

An Ontario woman blindly followed her car’s GPS straight into Lake Huron. While it sank, she swam to shore

The Canadian Press (Reported by National Post), May 13, 2016

A visitor to the Tobermory area ended up in the city's Little Tub Harbour after accidentally driving down the boat launch, shown in a handout photo. ( THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO-Ontario Provincial Police)

TOBERMORY, Ont. — Police say following the instructions from a GPS on a foggy night left an Ontario woman taking an unplanned swim in Lake Huron.

Ontario Provincial Police say the 23-year-old woman from Kitchener, Ont., was following a route on her car’s GPS while driving in the dark on Thursday night in Tobermory, Ont.

They say she made a turn that took her straight into Little Tub Harbour on the shores of Lake Huron, where her car sank about 30 metres from shore.

Police say the woman was able to roll down the window and swim to safety in frigid water temperatures of 4 C.

They say she did not suffer any injuries.

OPP say they were able to tow the car out of the water early Friday morning.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient    8 years ago

I had such a dilemma as to which Forum category to choose for this article. Here are the possibilities:

World News: It happened in Canada.

Entertainment: You can't tell me you weren't entertained by this story.

Technology: The GPS led her astray.

Sports: A cold swim in 4 degrees centigrade water.

Humour: Was she blond?

OR, The Canada Group so most Americans wouldn't see this article and get a snicker out of it.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ    8 years ago

What the article doesn't mention is that the GPS was installed and programmed by a man.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     8 years ago

A dark night...Didn't she have headlights on the car?

Actually it belongs in all of the above categories.Laugh

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton    8 years ago

"RECALCALCULATING"

"GO LEFT AT THE NEXT GUPPY"

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Larry Hampton   8 years ago

''go left at the next guppy''....LMAO

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy    8 years ago

I won't have a GPS in my car. It doesn't tell you abut roads or freeways down to one lane for construction or bridges closed or anything like that. I'm my own GPS. Having one in the car is like having my wife tell me where to turn. I hate a backseat driver! When we picked out our Fiat 500L we  basically came down to two that we wanted. We bought the one without the GPS on purpose. Same with our Bug.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
link   Robert in Ohio    8 years ago

This is first incursion, as the "machines" begin the offensive to exterminate mankind.

Beware the GPS, the DVR and most of all the automatic ice maker in the refrigerator

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Robert in Ohio   8 years ago

Actually, they mistakenly installed a GPS programmed for a Chris Craft into her car.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Robert in Ohio   8 years ago

"This is first incursion, as the "machines" begin the offensive to exterminate mankind."

I think I once read a science fiction story about that.