╌>

Female Veteran Scolded for Using Parking Spot Designated for Veterans: People 'Shouldn't Be Making Those Assumptions Anymore'

Category:  Other

Via:  pj  •  8 years ago  •  32 comments

Female Veteran Scolded for Using Parking Spot Designated for Veterans: People 'Shouldn't Be Making Those Assumptions Anymore'

People

Michelle Boudin, 3 hrs ago

Lieutenant Commander Rebecca Landis Hayes, a former Navy physician, was working a half day and trying to find the perfect cake to celebrate a colleague's upcoming baby shower when she ran to a neighborhood grocery store in Concord, North Carolina, and parked in a spot designated for veterans.

"I don't usually use them. I don't feel comfortable. I'm perfectly capable of walking and I'm always afraid someone might call me out," she tells PEOPLE.

In fact, someone did.

piece of paper wedged under her windshield wiper. She worried there had been a fender bender in the parking lot and pulled over immediately to read it.

"This parking is for Veterans, lady. Learn to read and have some respect," the note bluntly stated.

Hayes, who comes from a long line of military veterans and served in the Navy for eight years before leaving for private practice in 2008, was shocked.

"I thought, 'Wow, people really do think this way!' I've been lucky my whole life: This was the first time someone singled me out and said I couldn't be something because I was a woman. I was angry and sad. I'd like to think in a world where we have the first female as a major candidate for president, someone shouldn't be making those assumptions anymore."

She was so upset, she wanted to confront the person who left the note but didn't know how. Instead, she posted a picture of the note and her stunned response on her Facebook page .It's since been shared thousands of times.

"I am shocked all of these people are sharing this. We identify that this is an issue in our society. Hillary Clinton is running for president and people think women can't be veterans. We need to learn in this country not to make so many stereotypes."

Rebecca Landis Hayes

To the person who left this note on my windshield today at the Coddle Creek Harris Teeter in Concord, NC:

I know I parked in one of the Veteran Parking spaces today, it was hot. I had been in and out of my car several times already this afternoon, and I was only going to be a minute. Besides, the parking lot was full, so I just did it. It was the first time, and I won’t do it again. I’m sorry…

I’m sorry that you can’t see my eight years of service in the United Sates Navy. I’m sorry that your narrow misogynistic world view can’t conceive of the fact that there are female Veterans. I’m sorry that I have to explain myself to people like you. Mostly, I’m sorry that we didn’t get a chance to have this conversation face to face, and that you didn’t have the integrity and intestinal fortitude to identify yourself, qualities the military emphasizes.

Which leads to one question, I served, did you?

http://www.people.com/article/female-veteran-scolded-used-designated-veteran-parking-spot

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   seeder  PJ    8 years ago

Mostly, I’m sorry that we didn’t get a chance to have this conversation face to face, and that you didn’t have the integrity and intestinal fortitude to identify yourself, qualities the military emphasizes.

Which leads to one question, I served, did you?

That pretty much sums it up.  BAM!

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober  replied to  PJ   8 years ago

BAM

Back when I was in the military that's how they referred to females in the marines . I won't bother to say what it stood for .

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   seeder  PJ  replied to  Petey Coober   8 years ago

I'll take your suggestion and NOT ask although I may ask my dad when I see him Sunday just to see what he says.  chuckle

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  PJ   8 years ago

I was in the Air Force when women were still called WAFs (They changed that while I was in) and served with many females who are veterans and that was in 1973. I can't believe that people automatically consider that a veteran must be a man.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    8 years ago

Good for her!  

A lot of people need to come to grips with reality...

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov    8 years ago

Similar things happen to people with hidden disabilities. It's wise to never assume you know someone's personal story.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   seeder  PJ  replied to  Cerenkov   8 years ago

:o)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    8 years ago

In Ontario, a disabled person was able with evidence to get a car licence plate with the wheelchair symbol, which gave them access to the special spots. Whether or not a person is a vet, if they are disabled they should be able to get such a plate.  if they are not disabled, vets are probably more able to walk a distance than a non-vet.

In the case of this article, vets who have served, especially those who served in situations where their life could have been on the line, should IMO get certain privileges, such as a license plate that identifies them as such.  I know that vets have in certain places received certain privileges for education and housing, so that is not a big step more.

Secondly, even if the lot is on private property, I have seen large stickers used to chastise cheaters by sticking them on a car window and forcing the driver to use some effort to remove them. They should not be put on the windshield or it could get the store into trouble for contributing to an accident.

And Bobby, you, of all people, should show a little compassion for those who would have to struggle considerably to do what most of us are able to do with little effort.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty    8 years ago

Someone has been asleep for a long time. Didn't they ever see Hot Lips Houlihan.