╌>

Buried in Beads 4,000 Years Ago, This Chiefly Family Lives Again

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  kavika  •  7 years ago  •  19 comments

Buried in Beads 4,000 Years Ago, This Chiefly Family Lives Again

Buried in Beads 4,000 Years Ago,

This Chiefly Family Lives Again

Museums in Canada unveil high-tech facial reconstructions that breath new life into very old bones.

02canadachiefs.adapt.1190.1.jpg

Faces from Canada's distant past reappear in a digital reconstruction based on skeletal remains and artifacts found in their graves. PHOTOGRAPH BY PHILIPPE FROESCH, VISUAL FORENSIC

About 50 years old when he died, this chief was buried in a bead garment weighing more than 70 pounds—an indication of great wealth and power. PHOTOGRAPH BY PHILIPPE FROESCH, VISUAL FORENSIC

Producing so many beads by hand would have taken a vast amount of time, says Clark. Made from small pieces of shale or mudstone, each bead had to be ground into a disc roughly half the size of an aspirin, then drilled with a hole. When archaeologist Brian Thom of the University of Victoria tried to replicate this process several years ago with pieces of slate and traditional stone tools, it took him 13 minutes on average to make just one stone bead. An experienced bead-maker could have sped things up considerably, doubling the rate of production, suggests Clark. But even in that best-case scenario, more than 35,000 hours would have been needed to make the chief’s ceremonial bead garment.

As Clark and his colleagues expanded the excavations, they discovered more burials from the same period, and more ancient riches. Just a few yards from the chief, the team uncovered the remains of a woman who died between 19 and 23 years of age. Mourners had tied a gleaming shell necklace around her neck and adorned her torso with 5,700 stone beads. In addition, the archaeologists found nearly 3,200 tiny shell beads—most just two and a half times the size of a grain of sand and much harder to make than the stone beads—in the sediment around her skull. “We have shown these to bead experts around the world and they have no idea how they were made,” says Clark.

Such tiny beads could have been woven into the young woman’s hair as ornamentation. “They would have been bright white with a bit of sheen, and in black hair, I think they would have been really beautiful,” Clark says.

Near the young woman, the team discovered two other graves. One of these contained the remains of two young men interred with another 2,200 stone and shell beads. An examination of these remains by biological anthropologist Jerome Cybulski of the Canadian Museum of History revealed that the two men could have been twins, based on some shared traits.

“They had identical impacted teeth and identical patterns of [skull] sutures,” says Clark. The other grave belonged to an infant whose skeleton bore extensive traces of red ochre, a pigment frequently used in Northwest Coast rituals today.

Just how this ancient chiefly family managed to accumulate such wealth 3,700 years ago remains an open question. Societies living along the shores of the Salish Sea at that time made their living by fishing, hunting deer and other game, and foraging or cultivating carbohydrate-rich root plants such as wapato. They had yet to acquire slaves or live in the big, multi-family longhouses characteristic of the historic period—conditions that could have led to the accumulation of wealth.

Clark thinks this chiefly family possessed knowledge of great value to others, who bestowed gifts on this lineage during feasts. “This family is so wealthy because they have special ritual knowledge or spiritual knowledge,” Clark says.

Andrew Martindale , an archaeologist at the University of British Columbia who is not a member of the team, thinks the discovery of such an extraordinary group of burials so early in time shows “that history is not as straightforward as we might have assumed.” And he applauds the way in which the research team and   the shíshálh elders worked together to create the new facial reconstructions of this ancient chiefly family.

“This seems to be a really collaborative and mutually respectful project to show who these people are,” he says. “And I think that’s really important.”

Read more here

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika     7 years ago

Once thought not to have any areas of discovery for the ancient ones. The last few years have brought forth a treasure chest of ancient relics/skeletons/artifacts.

Sorry, I can't delete all of the coding in the article.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Interesting facial reconstruction.  I wonder how close to 'true' they are?  Can't imagine the excitement of the archaeologists on that dig!

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

I would guess fairly close Spike. Today they have made huge advances in the reconstruction of human faces. 

I would have loved to have been on that dig.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Dear Brother and Friend Kavika: They get better and better at forensic reconstructive modeling.

Good on them.

Thanks for a great article.

Enoch.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Enoch   7 years ago

Happy that you enjoyed it niijii.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

Here is an interesting video about how they rebuild a face from bones:

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

Wow, that was a really interesting video. Thanks for posting it Perrie.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    7 years ago

I will be sure to show this article to Matthew-- he doesn't need to go all the way to China for fabulous artifacts and discoveries!  What a wonderful find, and such interesting facial reconstruction!  They look ready to speak to you!

I am thinking that such a person was beloved and had lots of people in his tribe making his beads...  They must have loved he and his family very much!  It brings home to me, their humanity.  

What an incredible find!

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

I think Matthew is going to love the article, Dowser.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

Dear Friend Dowser: If relics are Matthew's thing, he is free to browse my basement.

We have prehistoric 8 track tapes, pet rocks, and hula hoops from when the kids were growing up.

Enoch, Looking for Space Where None Exists Downstairs.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Enoch   7 years ago

Any 78 or 45 records niijii?

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Enoch   7 years ago

Have you ever heard that junk propagates to fill the space available for it's retention?  We're overflowing...  winking

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

That depends as well on how advanced in dementia a person is.  My mother had a whole basement room filled with bundled magazines and newspapers.  And I thought was a pack rat - no room to be one now.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

That is a most fascinating article Kavika. Thanks for posting it.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Thanks Buzz, I was amazed at the man hours it would have taken to make the beaded vest for the Chief.