╌>

Woman dies from tick disease caught from infected cat

Category:  Pets & Animals

Via:  randy  •  7 years ago  •  6 comments

Woman dies from tick disease caught from infected cat

tick.jpg

A Japanese woman has died of a tick-borne disease caught from a cat, in what is thought to be the first such mammal to human transmission.

Japan's health ministry said the woman in her 50s had been helping a weakening stray cat when she was bitten.

Ten days later, she died of Severe Fever with Thrombocytopenia Syndrome (SFTS), which is carried by ticks.

With no tick bite detected, doctors assume the illness must have been contracted via the infected cat.

Severe Fever with Thrombocytopenia Syndrome (SFTS) is an relatively new infectious disease emerging in China, Korea and Japan.

The virus is said to have fatally rates between of up to 30% and is especially severe in people over 50.

cattick.jpg Cute - but potentially carrying a deadly virus?

What diseases can we get from pets?

Vaccines for three viruses fast-tracked

According to Japanese media, SFTS first occurred in the country in 2013.

Japan's health ministry said the recent death was still a rare case but warned people to be careful when in contact with animals in poor physical condition.

Globally, tick bites are widely associated with transmitting Lyme disease which can lead to severe illness and death if left untreated.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-40713172

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy    7 years ago

One would assume the same thing could happen to dog owners if they are bitten by an infected dog, also any owners of any animals that are attacked by Ticks. This is the scary part;

Severe Fever with Thrombocytopenia Syndrome (SFTS) is an relatively new infectious disease emerging in China, Korea and Japan.

A new infectious disease that will almost certainly spread to the North America and the rest of the world. I hope we have ways to treat it or will have soon. We don't have Ticks out here in the desert (luckily for us), but anyone who does live in Tick country should be aware that Lyme Disease is not the only think Ticks can carry now.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy    7 years ago

Could especially be a problem for you Buzz, as that's where it has already spread. Stay away from strays of any kind and don't get bit by one.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

I'm living in a modern, very clean environment, and I've not seen any strays, but thanks for the advice.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

My pleasure. Like I said Ticks are not natural here, but one could be carried into the valley by someone's anmal. Still, the far-East is a long way away so I'm not going to worry about it. Though it sure would be nice if the CDC has the funds to find a treatment for an illness before it gets here, instead of afterward. 

My new dog got his first physical today and is great. Needs to put on about a pound, but he was a stray too.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Randy   7 years ago

Seems like the new member of the family is fitting in pretty good.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Oh he is. I wanted to call him Boris, after Boris Badanov from the Rocky and Bullwinkle Show, but my wife has been calling him Bo so much that it's all he answers to now, so I'm going to tell people he was named after one of the greatest college Football coaches, Bo Schembechler from the University of Michigan!