╌>

Gem of the Week: Harley-Davidson helps ND town go "hog wild"

Category:  The Lighter Side/ Humor

Via:  larry-hampton  •  7 years ago  •  2 comments

Gem of the Week: Harley-Davidson helps ND town go "hog wild"

Ryder, North Dakota a ranching community that takes pride in its bull riding, and where John Deere's rule the road, until now.

This small town southwest of Minot is ditching the tractors for Harleys.

“I thought it would be fun,” said resident Charlotte Smette.

It started with a call to the mayor back in the spring.

“I thought he was a scammer, I didn't really give him much time, and he kept calling me and calling me,” recalled Mayor Jody Reinisch.

Mayor Reinisch finally called back to find out what the motorcycle maker wanted.

“They wanted to teach everyone in Ryder how to ride a motorcycle,” he explained.

At first the mayor says he was scared along with many of the 85 residents in town.

“We had elderly people who were scared of motorcycle people, they were going to sit on their decks with shotguns,” commented Reinisch.

But Mayor Reinisch figured why not, and told Harley his town would ditch the flannel for the leather in an attempt to become the first fully motorcycle licensed town in America.

“I thought it was going to be the worst thing that was going to happen to our town,” said resident Harlen Skarphol.

“They wanted to prove to America that bikers are good people,” said Reinisch.

There was proof of that right away. Harley gave the town the $45,000 it needed to repaint its aging water tower, with one special request. Paint the Harley logo on it.

“I said go for it,” said the Mayor.

~LINK~

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   seeder  Larry Hampton    7 years ago

News spread faster than a wild hog on the open highway Harley was coming roaring into town with free lessons. Most in town were not prepared. Only a couple of people owned motorcycles.

“Always wanted to learn how to ride,” said Suzanne Ford who went out and bought a Harley.

Of the 85 residents, only 60 were eligible to get their license. Many first time riders.

“I was a little scared, I had never done it before, but not too old to learn,” said resident Charlotte Smette.

The oldest rider, 75-year Harlen Skarphol.

“It was interesting, kind of scary, you don't have as much balance and stuff anymore,” he explained.

“Still a little intimidating, I'm still learning the bike and learning and getting my comfort zone with the speed,” said Ford.

Though some admit they aren't ready for the open road yet.

“A little frightening, those motorcycles are big, they are heavy, but gosh they ride so well,” commented Smette.

With more dirt roads than paved ones in town, city leaders may need to think about road maintenance with more bikes cruising through town, especially with the water tower now a landmark for Harley riders from across the country.

“It put us on the map,” said Skarpohl.

And with a new perception of bikers, the town will gladly welcome them.

“They were all business people, family people, have a good time and go home to their families, go back to their jobs,” said Reinisch.

And for those who can't ride yet, some words of wisdom from the old.

“If I can do it, anybody can do it, I'll tell you that right now,” said a chuckling Skarphol.

The town actually even changed its name to reflect the now riding community.

Ryder is spelled with an "I" this riding season.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

If the Hell's Angels decide to make it their North American capital, the residents might not be as happy as they seem to be now. 

Interesting article.