╌>

Newstalkers Pop Quiz! How many of these old time TV commercial jingles do you remember?

Category:  History & Sociology

Via:  krishna  •  7 years ago  •  40 comments

Newstalkers Pop Quiz! How many of these old time TV commercial jingles do you remember?

This article was inspired by Buzz's article: Before the days of TV, what was your favourite radio program, and why?

I decided to try to do an article about Radio commercials- - and as a challenge.to do it as a quiz. (If you score 100% or more you might get a gold star. But then again you might not. After all, only the Shadow knows...)

1. If, by chance, you ever wished to be a weiner, what type would it be? (Answers containing the word "Anthony" or any variant thereof won't count!)

2. If you happened to come across two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, and onions-- you would discover all that mess on top of ___________? 

3. Who knows a thing or two because, of course ... they've actually seen a thing or two?

4. What's The best part of waking up?

5. What would you deserve today if you went to a McDonalds?

6 When have you said it all? 

7, Who's there-- like a good neighbour?

8.  What would I like to teach the world to do? (One of my personal favs and probably one of the best commercials of all time-- although I admit I am biased)

9, Where would you go if you wanted to have it your way"? 

10. BONUS QUESTION : Which two questions above have the same answer?

NEW! EXTRA BONUS - Essay Question:  In a concisely worded, well -organized essay, tell us what your favourite commercial of all time is-- and explain why. (Unless you are a witch, spelling doesn't count)

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna    7 years ago

In anticipation of your questions:  No-- you do not have to know this.

Another Fine Mess
Freshman Silent
link   Another Fine Mess  replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

Krishna

1 out of 10, no 8 being the only one, it ran in Britain as well., personally I prefer Irn Bru 

"5) What would you deserve today if you went to a McDonalds?"

For this one I guessed your stomach pumped.

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna  replied to  Another Fine Mess   7 years ago

, no 8 being the only one, it ran in Britain as well.

I believe it ran in many countries wrkldwide (The product certainly seems to be available just about everywhere). 

As far as the commercial itself,IMO it was a masterpiece.

tomwcraig
Junior Silent
link   tomwcraig  replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

1. If, by chance, you ever wished to be a weiner, what type would it be? (Answers containing the word "Anthony" or any variant thereof won't count!)

Oscar Meyer Weiner

2. If you happened to come across two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, and onions-- you would discover all that mess on top of ___________? 

Big Mac

3. Who knows a thing or two because, of course ... they've actually seen a thing or two?

Farmer's Insurance

4. What's The best part of waking up?

Folgers

5. What would you deserve today if you went to a McDonalds?

Big Mac

6 When have you said it all? 

(only one that I do not know the answer to)

7, Who's there-- like a good neighbour?

State Farm Insurance

8.  What would I like to teach the world to do? (One of my personal favs and probably one of the best commercials of all time-- although I admit I am biased)

Coke "Teach the world to sing"

9, Where would you go if you wanted to have it your way"? 

Burger King

10. BONUS QUESTION : Which two questions above have the same answer?

2 and 5

Krishna
Professor Expert

No-- it will not be on the Final.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

I'm a total failure. Can't even guess one right answer.  crying

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

I'm surprised. Maybe its the unusual way I worded the questions (It really is a bit strange I admit) , because I bet you actually know the answers to most of them. 

I suppose I should wait 'till a few other people take a crack at it, and then list a few hints. 

What if I worded them differently. For example #4 is

What's the best part of waking up?

What if it was worded like this:

The best part of waking up is _________ in your ________

Another possibility: Perhaps some of the products advertised were not sold in Canada when you were growing up, IDK. but don't be discouraged, I will gradually release more and more hints...

or:

maybe most of these are from a certain time period-- and you are either too old or two youn to know the products advertised?

And finally-- maybe I just suck at creating quizzes. LOL! Laugh

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

You may be right on a number of counts.  The products may not have been available in Canada, and as well not advertised on TV in Canada.  Besides, I doubt that I paid much attention to TV commercials anyway - probably when they came on it was time to go to the kitchen and get soething to eat or drink.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

I believe these are basically television commercials.

I know nine of them for sure, but I will give others a chance since you just put it up.

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

OMG-- I think you're right!

I messed up-- I believe that most, if not all, are TV! So the way I wrote the quiz is misleading, because it implies the wrong time frame (before TV) when they were in a later period.

Anyway, good idea not to reveal the answers so a few more people can try to guess the answers.

Krishna
Professor Expert

Thanks for your input-- I fixed it (changed the title to "TV")

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

you got it

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

Got some of them right I think...The best part of waking up in the morning is that you have confirmed that your still alive. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Correct-- very true indeed!

But can you guess what the commercial it was? (Maybe that one was a bit too obscure...?)

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

Krishna
Professor Expert

Yay! 

(Actually that was a mistake I was wondering about, because thvideo above is not a real old commercial, I was too lazy to google to find the date that this slogan originated. "We know a thing or two.." & was wondering if it went way back or was modern..)

The origian Q was:

The answer is, of course, in the video John posted-- State Farm knows a thig or two (or so they claim..heh)

Another thought-- maybe people are having trouble with this quiz because they don't waste their time watching much TV-- instead they waste-- er I mean they spend a lot of time on the Internet?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal

The answer is, of course, in the video John posted-- State Farm knows a thig or two (or so they claim..heh)

Farmers Insurance.

State Farm is the answer to one of the other questions.

Krishna
Professor Expert

correct!

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA  replied to  JohnRussell   7 years ago

Some interesting info:  The stuff that Farmer's puts into those commercials actually happened.  My wife worked for them up until her retirement last April.  She has really seen some really weird insurance claims in the 40 years she has been in that business.

Krishna
Professor Expert

Yay! 

(Actually that was a mistake I was wondering about, because thvideo above is not a real old commercial, I was too lazy to google to find the date that this slogan originated. "We know a thing or two.." & was wondering if it went way back or was modern..)

The original Q was:

The answer is, of course, in the video John posted-- State Farm knows a thing or two ... (or so they claim..heh)

Another thought-- maybe people are having trouble with this quiz because they don't waste their time watching much TV-- instead they waste-- er I mean they spend a lot of time on the Internet?

Krishna
Professor Expert

OK, here's a hints (but the Q may still be 2 difficult)

Its actually the way I originally wrote the quiz (as a fill in the blank) but decided to write is differently.

#1 I wish I were an ____________    ______________ weiner.

(no googling allowed-- an give a better hint soon)

JohnRussell
Professor Principal

I'm pretty sure a lot of people know that one Krish. They are just not online right now. It's not that hard.

Krishna
Professor Expert

. They are just not online right now. 

BTW here'a little "secret" of mine. When that chat thingy is working, the first thing I do when I logon to NT is check to see who's online. And if I've been planning to seed a few things, I seed the one that I think will be  most interesting for those people! (Sometimes there's no trend, but...)

Pretty strange, eh? But I really do that.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
link   Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    7 years ago

Here's an embarrassing admission:  I knew every single one of them.

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom   7 years ago

OMG!

That must mean that-- you;re either very old-- or very young!

Or perhaps -- that you spend too much time watching TV.

LOL

(Or maybe-- just possibly-- you do a lot of crossword puzzles, and you're very good at it, and that skill is transferable to being good at doing stupid quizzes on the Internet and ...

(Wild guess-- probably incorrect)

Maybe...Jigsaw puzzles? That feels right ...but...

Professor Guide
link   Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

That must mean that-- you;re either very old-- or very young!

Let's just say that the ad campaigns associated with the products were wildly successful.

The old time radio jingles were before my time, but I grew up listening to my dad sing them.  In fact, he still sings them.  The man can't remember where he put his teeth 5 minutes ago, but he remembers the entire Chiquita Banana radio commercial. 

I'm Chiquita banana and I've come to say ---- Bananas have to ripen in a certain way---- When they're flecked with brown and have a golden hue ---- Bananas taste the best and are so good for you ----- You can put them in a salad ----- You can put them in a pie-aye ----- Any way you want to eat them ------ It's impossible to beat them ---- For, bananas like the climate of the very, very tropical equator ------- So you should never put bananas ------in the refrigerator---no no no no---

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom   7 years ago

I remember those Chiquita banana commercials!

BTW the company in #6 had amazing commercials. In fact they're somewhat famous for them.

Should I give another hint__ or wait?

Professor Guide
link   Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

I'm a Miller Lite girl, myself.

Krishna
Professor Expert

#8 WHAT WOULD I LIKE TO TEACH THE WORLD TO DO?

I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing (In Perfect Harmony)

From Wikipedia:

I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing (In Perfect Harmony) " is a pop song that originated as the  jingle  "Buy the World a Coke" [1]  in the groundbreaking 1971 "Hilltop" television commercial for  Coca-Cola . "Buy the World a Coke" was produced by  Billy Davis  and portrayed a positive message of hope and love, featuring a multicultural collection of teenagers on top of a hill appearing to sing the song.

The popularity of the jingle led to it being re-recorded by  The New Seekers  and by  The Hillside Singers as a full-length song, dropping references to Coca-Cola. The song became a hit record in the US and the UK.

The song became so popular that it was recorded by  The New Seekers  and by  The Hillside Singers  as a full-length song—without the mention of Coke—and both versions became huge hits. A version of the song was rerecorded by Susan Shirley and released in 1971. Cook, Greenaway, Backer, and Billy Davis reworked the song and recorded it as a Coca-Cola radio commercial.

(Read it all)

Krishna
Professor Expert

I'm a Miller Lite girl, myself.

Interesting. When I was in college I decided that Miller made the tastiest beers-- drank either Miller or Miller lite myself. (Wasn't into some of the more exotic foreign stuff)> Now when I drink beer its usually Coors Light (I'm not sure why exactly :). Don't like Bud Light as much.

Tsing-tao in Chinese restaurants, Kingfisher in Indian restaurants. When I was in Mexico I drank a beer called Tres Equis (XXX) more interesting than Dos Equis (XX) which is more common. I really liked XXX but I haven't seen it in the U.S.(Sake in Japanese restaurants-- I try to get the related beverage for each cuisine though don't go out to dinner all that often. In French and Italian restaurants only wine for me!)

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom   7 years ago

Not many Americans must have eaten bananas in those days. The commercial sounds like it is describing a banana to someone who's never seen or eaten one and doesn't know where they come from.

Krishna
Professor Expert

and doesn't know where they come from.

Now-a-days everyone knows what banans are and where they come from. They are made from coal tar products, artificialcolours and flavours, transfat, emulsifoers, surfactants, Hi Fructose Corn Syrup, MSG, artifical sweetners, Polysorbate 60, 65, and 80, DHT, NItrates, Nitrites, Sodium Benzoate, & a few other ingredients Ifiorget. But they're mainly made fom various other coal tar products.

They are made with slave labour in primitive unheated factories jointly owned by the Koch Brother, Melania Trump, and Vladimir Putin. in third world Countries like Bengladesh, The Grand Duchy of Fenwick, Bangestan, Caledonia, Ebonia, Equatorial Kundu, etc, etc. 

Everybody knows that!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom   7 years ago

Krishna
Professor Expert

I love that commercial (#8)

Original Q:

What would I like to teach the world to do?

In the past I've erad some interesting facts about it-- will look for then and post later, (I'm still busy trying to salvage what I still can from this disasterous quiz. Oh well-- it was my first attempt! 

Krishna
Professor Expert

#8 WHAT WOULD I LIKE TO TEACH THE WORLD TO DO?

I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing (In Perfect Harmony)

From Wikipedia:

I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing (In Perfect Harmony) " is a pop song that originated as the  jingle  "Buy the World a Coke" [1]  in the groundbreaking 1971 "Hilltop" television commercial for  Coca-Cola . "Buy the World a Coke" was produced by  Billy Davis  and portrayed a positive message of hope and love, featuring a multicultural collection of teenagers on top of a hill appearing to sing the song.

The popularity of the jingle led to it being re-recorded by  The New Seekers  and by  The Hillside Singers as a full-length song, dropping references to Coca-Cola. The song became a hit record in the US and the UK.

The song became so popular that it was recorded by  The New Seekers  and by  The Hillside Singers  as a full-length song—without the mention of Coke—and both versions became huge hits. A version of the song was rerecorded by Susan Shirley and released in 1971. Cook, Greenaway, Backer, and Billy Davis reworked the song and recorded it as a Coca-Cola radio commercial.

(Read it all)

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson    7 years ago

Don't know number six.

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna  replied to  pat wilson   7 years ago

A very wide selling product. I think they spend a fortune on ads. But the problem may be-- you may know their jingles-- but the one I happened to pick was too long ago. (Maybe they still use it).

The Q may be easier in this form:

When you say __________________________ you've said it all. 

Just checked-- some videos on YouTube going back to 1971. 1977. 

Let me check for one of their recent ads, BRB.

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

Just checked their 2014 commercial-- really nice. But they didn't mention the slogan from the 70's commercial. They've had a lot of slogans, occasionally change them. If you don't follow sports, this hint may not help and I post another one

"Superbowl"

Another hint: King of ________________

Krishna
Professor Expert

Here's another commercial I really like:

I believe they've done a few about the friendship between the puppy and the horses (or maybe one particular horse, I forget)..

What does it have to do with beer? Nothing!

Is it manipulative? Yes.

But still I admire the fact that's is so well done. Other people may disagree, but IMO this is a creative masterpiece.

(I can't imagine what Budweisers advertising budget ...they hire some of the best in the field and that must cost a fortune...)

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

That's the  "Budweiser Clydesdale Puppy Love Super Bowl 2014 Commercial"

Here's the Bud commercial from the 70's-- they've come a long way baby!

WHEN YOU SAY BUDWEISER YOU'VE SAID IT ALL!

Music from a German Om-Pah band is nice for a beer commercial but its still pretty bland.

1877 - Much Improved: