╌>

A Native and a Zionist By Ryan Bellerose

Category:  Anthropology & Archeology

Via:  kpr37  •  7 years ago  •  48 comments

A Native and a Zionist By Ryan Bellerose

I am a Métis from Northern Alberta. My father, Mervin Bellerose, co-authored the Métis Settlements Act of 1989, which was passed by the Alberta legislature in 1990 and cemented our land rights. I founded Canadians For Accountability, a native rights advocacy group, and I am an organizer and participant in the Idle No More movement in Calgary. And I am a Zionist. 

Let me tell you why.

I grew up on a Métis colony in what many would say are rough conditions: we had no electricity, running water or telephone.  When it rained, the dirt roads that linked us to the highways flooded and we were stranded. I lived in a bunkhouse with my two stepbrothers, while my father and stepmother lived in a small cabin nearby.  We raised a garden, hunted and fished, picked berries and made the odd trip to town to buy supplies.  My father worked construction and lived in camps for long stretches and I would often stay at relatives’ to escape my stepmother’s abuse.  Still, I considered my childhood normal.  

My interest in Israel started at a young age.  My father gave me a set of Encyclopedia Britannica for my 5th birthday and, from there, a passion for history was born.  I would sit and read whenever the weather was bad.  In fact, it was a family joke that taking away my books for a few hours was a better way to discipline me than a spanking.  One entry that caught my eye was that of Israel’s birth in 1948. It struck me as the ultimate David and Goliath story: Israel, a tiny country that had fought for independence from the British Empire, was forced from its first moments to defend its existence against the combined armies of the Arab world.  Israel survived against all odds, and did so in a truly epic story of will and heroism.  This story inspired me.

Growing up, I was a very small child. (I am called "Tiny Ryney" to this day, though I play defensive tackle for the Calgary Wolfpack).  I was called a "half-breed" and other slurs by white kids while the children in my colony made fun of my paler skin.  I didn’t belong anywhere.  And I had to be resourceful to protect myself, since I was weaker than the others. Being the victim of bullying shaped who I am and my sense of right and wrong.  It is one reason that I support Israel, a country that has faced bullying and manipulation since its birth.  Israel too has had to be resourceful to defend itself against enemies that dwarf it.  And, like me, it overcame. 

Noticing my curiosity about Israel, my father bought me as a birthday gift a book about the 1976 Raid on Entebbe, a brilliant rescue by Israeli commandos of hostages taken by Palestinian terrorists to Uganda.  Again, this impressed me.  Israel was willing to do the impossible to rescue its people, regardless of the political fallout.  This pushed me to read more about the Arab-Israeli conflict.  In so doing, I learned about the ’72 Munich Olympic Games, where Palestinian terrorists massacred 11 Israeli athletes during an event meant to be a celebration of brotherhood and peace. I wondered why more people weren’t as upset as I was.

It was during this time, while visiting relatives working oil rigs, that I learned while watching a hotel TV of the horrific 1972 Lod Airport massacre where terrorists shot dead 26 civilians waiting for their flights, including 17 Christian pilgrims. I also remember the 1985 attack by Yasser Arafat’s forces on the Achille Lauro cruise ship, where an old disabled man was thrown overboard in his wheelchair for the crime of being a Jew.  The more I saw, the more I needed to understand why such things were happening.  The more I learned, the more I grew to appreciate Israel’s moral integrity in the face of brutal hatred.  And I came to believe that the Jewish people and Israel should serve as an example to indigenous people everywhere.  It is with the Jews – and their stubborn survival after being decimated and dispersed by powerful empires -- that we have the most in common.

My people, the Métis, came to Alberta after the American Revolution, at the government’s request, to prevent the settling of the Americans in western Canada.  We settled the land and followed the white man’s rules.  But we were eventually evicted, our homes given to white pioneers.  No one wanted us. We were forced to live in hiding, on road allowances, in the bush. We had no rights, and we were killed out of hand, as "nuisances". Exile fractured our nation. Our people wandered with no hope and no home. Then, in the mid 1900's, our leaders managed to secure land for us, not the land we had wanted but land that would nonetheless allow us to build a better future. We took it, built our settlements and formed a government to improve the lives of our people. We still have many problems to solve, of course, but we also have more educated people than ever and are slowly becoming self-sufficient, as our leaders envisioned.  In this, the Jewish people and the Métis have walked the same road. 

The Jews also suffered genocide and were expelled from their homeland.  They were also rejected by everyone and forced to wander.  Like us, they rebelled against imperial injustice when necessary and, despite their grievances, strived for peace whenever possible.  Like us they were given a tiny sliver of their land back after centuries of suffering and persecution, land that nobody else had wanted to call home until then.  Like us, they took that land despite their misgivings and forged a nation from a fractured and wounded people.  And like us, they consistently show a willingness to compromise for the good of their people.  

I hope the Metis keep walking the same road as the Jewish people.  Through their efforts, the Jews were able to preserve their identity despite terrible persecution and to revive their culture and language once back in their homeland.

Read more http://www.themetropolitain.ca/articles/view/1235

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

kpr37
Professor Silent
link   seeder  kpr37    7 years ago

Many claim that we Natives have more in common with the Palestinians, that their struggle is our struggle.  Beyond superficial similarities, nothing could be farther from the truth.  Beyond the facile co-opting of our cause, the comparison with the Palestinians is absolutely untenable.  It trivializes our suffering.

Co-opting today’s native struggle to the Palestinian propaganda war is a fallacy. Though the Palestinians have undeniable ties to the land, first hand accounts by Mark Twain and countless other travelers to the Holy Land through the ages suggest that a large percentage of the Palestinian people immigrated to Palestine in recent decades.  And for 65 years, the Palestinians have convinced the world that they are worse off than many other stateless nations, despite all evidence to the contrary.  The Palestinians claim to have been colonized but it was their own leaders who refused to negotiate and who lost the land that they want by waging a needless war on Israel.  They claim to have faced genocide but they suffered no such thing: their population has exploded from a few hundred thousand in 1948 to over 4 million today.  They claim deprivation but their elites live in luxury while their people live in ramshackle poverty. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

Tansi Kpr, 

This is a debate/argument that I've had many times over the years. IMO, there is no comparison between the Palestinians and Metis, Inuit or any First Nations or American Indians. It's totally a false equivalency.

The one question that I ask when confronted with this, since you want the Jews to give back land that is theirs, are you willing to give back the land that was taken from the Natives of north America. I have yet to have one say that they would, especially when it's their house that is sitting on that land. 

Welcome to NT. 

kpr37
Professor Silent
link   seeder  kpr37  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Tansi Kpr,

Go mbeanna Danu duit. (Gaelic)  (English) "May G*d look kindly upon you." Kavika

I feel for the indigenous struggle to preserve their heritage and culture. Who ever it is. Mine will soon be gone. I'm a  "Goidel" there has been a successful elimination of my people, mostly dispersed, but historically we were killed as well. In a hundren years or less, the language and culture will have vanished. And that is what makes a people a people. I support all who to try to maintain their heritage.

Thank you for the welcome!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  kpr37   7 years ago

Kavika and Enoch are kind of my personal spiritual leaders here. If I feel lost.. I try to ask for their guidance. 

Síocháin

kpr37
Professor Silent

You might find this interesting.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  kpr37   7 years ago

Indeed it is interesting Kpr.

Kavika
Professor Principal

Tansi (hello Metis Michif/Cree.) Boozhoo (greetings Anishinaabe/Ojbwe).

Yes, the language is the core of any culture and once the language is gone, so are the people. 

Goidel, so you are a fluent speaker of the language. Is the language making a comeback or is it mostly a dying language? 

kpr37
Professor Silent

Goidel, so you are a fluent speaker of the language.

Sady no, My grandparents would not teach or really talk it even, after they left Ireland and came here. I have tried to pick it up, and I study it some. It's so different than English. It is funky sounding and the rhythm is different. I wish I could do better.

For me, it means the arrival with the language of my ancestor's, a tribe or sect of Celts. Ireland saw a few great arrivals of different peoples in her history. It was recorded in The Ledor Gabala Erenn.

We were the tribe or people of Danu.

Christians re-wrote in the 1100s but sort of left the history alone ( I think) That was a step in the elimination of heritage. Most have taken some great effort to destroy every book. Wish I knew what was in it!!

Is the language making a comeback or is it mostly a dying language?

It's barely holding on. just in the little corner where we come from. Gaoth Dobhair, it is the last hold out. The funding for the Irish language radio is sometimes in question, It is not as big, of a priority as I would like.

Gweedore (officially known by its Irish language name, Gaoth Dobhair , Irish pronunciation:  [ˌɡˠi ˈd̪ˠoːɾʲ] ) [1] is an Irish-speaking parish located on the Atlantic coast of County Donegal in the Republic of Ireland. Gweedore stretches some 26 kilometres (16 mi) from Meenaclady [2] in the north to Crolly in the south and around 14 kilometres (9 mi) from Dunlewey in the east to Magheraclogher in the west, and is one of Europe's most densely populated rural areas. [3] [4] It is the largest Irish-speaking parish in Ireland with a population of around 4,065 , [5] and is also the home of the northwest regional studios of the Irish-language radio service RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta , [6] as well as an external campus of NUI Galway . [7] Gweedore includes the villages Bunbeg, Derrybeg, Dunlewey, Crolly and Brinalack, [8] and sits in the shade of Donegal 's highest peak, Errigal . [9]

Gweedore is known for being a cradle of the culture of Ireland , [10] with old Irish customs, traditional music, theatre, Gaelic games and the Irish language playing a central and pivotal role in the lives of the local people.

Kavika
Professor Principal

Thanks for the information, it is very interesting. 

This is something that you may find interesting...A prayer song of the Anishinaabe/Ojibwe sung in Gaelic.

kpr37
Professor Silent

Thank you for that video, it is beautiful. Sady, I know stuff mostly like this (LOL)

How do I get rid of the adds??!!

Kavika
Professor Principal

I don't think that you can Kpr...I have the same problem with some video's and photos...I think that it's the coding that is used.

Well I least you know one universal word..LOL

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

There is a sneaky code trick used on youtube where you bury the ad codes in the video. You can't get them out. 

kpr37
Professor Silent
link   seeder  kpr37  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

Thank you.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

Thank you for posting this article, Kavika.  These days, when the world is more interested in believing the Palestinian and Arab propaganda than the truth, every little bit of truth that is published is a small step.  These days, I'm sad to say the American government is falling deeper into the abyss of the Arab/Palestinian self-described victimization and "blame Israel for everything" mindset:

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Buzz, I didn't post the article, Kpr did. I was responding to it.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Ooops! Dementia setting in. Sorry.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

LMAO!

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

LOL Buzz....

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

Welcome Kpr.. I hope you remember me (and Buzz) from the good old days. Great article. As I recall, you follow your original faith as well. Is that right?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

Notwithstanding the fact that I misidentified Kavika as the seeder, I think kpr37 knows I have always appreciated his contributions, in the past and now.

kpr37
Professor Silent

As I recall, you follow your original faith as well. Is that right?

Yes, I'm Tuatha De' Danann "Child of the goddess Danu".

It recognizes the Trinity of reality (Philosophy of Thucydides)   realist

"we can rest satisfied with having proceed upon the clearest data, and having arrived at conclusions as exact as can be expected" ( Thucydides 1.21.1 ). Some of the data we receive may be flawed, Thucydides says, but by evaluating and analyzing the data, the truth can be found.

source  Tufts University .

Logic (the Philosophy of the cynics)

Diogenes of Sinope taught that you should never believe the words of Kings, Rulers, Emperors, Priests, Shaman, fortune tellers, auguries, wise men, politicians or prophets.

They all have been known to have a greater propensity to tell a lie than the average man. Investigate everything they say before placing your belief in them and their words. Else you are likely to find yourself made a fool of, time and time again .

Reason (the Philosophy of the skeptics)

" Skepsis " means investigation, and ancient skepticism is perhaps best described as a deep and persistent commitment to investigation.

I also have been called  logocentric (LOL)

(ps)

Would like to know if the site has a problem with this? I think I've gotten much better at the provoking reaction. That is me Proselytizing for better treatment of women. it might be a wee bit harsh. I have much more like that.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal

Hi kpr,

Sorry I missed your comment. So is Tuatha De' Danann, like being a Druid? Once when I was in England, I went to a Druid fall celebration. It was very beautiful to be a part of, to the extent that I was allowed to be. I know that the old ways are having a hard time in all of the gaelic lands. I would like them to remain, just like I would like my cultures old ways to remain. I think they enrich the world. 

Would like to know if the site has a problem with this? I think I've gotten much better at the provoking reaction. That is me Proselytizing for better treatment of women. it might be a wee bit harsh. I have much more like that.

We have discussed that topic before here. It is also a African tradition. It's a difficult discussion to have and not for everyone. My only warning to you, is if you are going to use graphic images you must give a warning in red and put the images in the first comment, so that those who want to avoid it can. 

We try to protect everyone sensibilities, without limiting speech. 

kpr37
Professor Silent
link   seeder  kpr37  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

So is  Tuatha De' Danann, like being a Druid?

Sort of, but not really. It is complicated.

I know that the old ways are having a hard time in all of the gaelic lands.

I have a great National Geographic over at Newsvine about that. I will bring it over. Some of it was real practices that held over. The best description I've seen. Many think pagan and then think of the movie Drag Net with Tom Hanks and Dan Aykroyd.

It is also a African tradition.

Yes, that is true. But it does not identify the problem.It's a tough read, but educational.

is if you are going to use graphic images you must give a warning in red

I have one link to a medical recovery center with graphic images it's way at the end of the article. I will change the color of the warning already there.

Newsvine told me I can say whatever I want as long as I source it. I have a New York Times article that I source everything they left out. It is substantial and very troubling.

I also fact check Snopes, fact-checking an article about Islam. It is as bad as it can get. There is a reason those thing happen. I source the reason.

It is all sourced from primary source material.

There is a very good reason both of them were lacking in in-depth research. This little bit of my dogma turns up some "shit" that many don't want to be disclosed. But it is out there for those who look. And is truthful!

" Skepsis " means investigation, and ancient skepticism is perhaps best described as a deep and persistent commitment to investigation.

kpr37
Professor Silent
link   seeder  kpr37  replied to  kpr37   7 years ago

The Old Irish word tuath (plural tuatha ) means "people, tribe, nation"; is the genitive case of día and, depending on context, can mean "god , gods, goddess" or more broadly "supernatural being, object of worship". [12] In the earliest writings, the mythical race are referred to as the Tuath Dé

Tuath De' children or "tribe" of G*d.

(plural Tuatha Dé ). [1] However, Irish monks also began using the term Tuath Dé to refer to the Israelites , [1] with the meaning "People of God ". [13]

We, the Tuath De' have been strict monotheists for a very long time.

Apparently to avoid confusion with the Israelites , [1] writers began to refer to the mythical race as the Tuath Dé Danann (plural Tuatha Dé Danann ).

Myths don't have arcological sites, Myths don't bring a language to a nation.

Sorry I missed your comment. So is Tuatha De' Danann, like being a Druid? Once when I was in England, I went to a Druid fall celebration. It was very beautiful to be a part of, to the extent that I was allowed to be

Something like this?

This entwining of pagan and early Christian traditions today exerts a magnetic pull at the religious sites, luring pilgrims, tourists, spiri-tual groupies, and mystic seekers. Something about Cornwall, its woolly wet weather, its abundance of prehistoric sites, and its ties to the legend of King Arthur (local Arthurians locate his castle at Tintagel), draws the more mystical and pagan of the pilgrims.

One day while looking around the Iron Age village site of Carn Euny, I met Cheryl Straffon, a Cornish goddess worshipper. I first noticed her at the head of a group of American women coming out of an underground chamber. The early Celts may have used such subterranean rooms, called fogous in Cornwall, as ritual sites. "That room has great acoustics," I overheard Straffon saying. "Chanting sounds good in there."

Straffon is editor of a newsletter called Meyn Mamvro about sacred sites in Cornwall. Middle-aged with a mop of graying blond hair, she has been intensely drawn to the Cornish landscape since she was a schoolgirl here. "It's as if I had been born with memories of these places," she said. "It is not a cold remote past here. It's a warm immediate past."

To commune with that past, Straffon observes the pre-Christian Celtic calendar, conducting rituals on the season-turning feast days of Imbolc (February 1, to mark the lactation of ewes),Beltane (May 1, when flocks and herds were moved to summer pastures), Lughnasa (August 1, for the first harvest), and Samhain (October 31-November 1, when the world of the dead was believed to briefly open, inspiring the modern Halloween). On each of these days Straffon and her fellow celebrants invite a Celtic goddess into their midst. Brigid,

She was a real person to the Tuatha De', not a goddess. She was a teacher.

an Irish deity associated with healing, later absorbed by the church as a saint, is invoked on Imbolc when Straffon visits holy wells like Madron. We tramped one day through woods to the well, a pool of dark water seeping out of the ground. A fungus called stinkhorn gave off a piercing sour smell, and on the surrounding moss-furred trees, shreds of cloth and paper hung like ornaments off every branch. These were offerings, or "clouties," representing body parts that petitioners, Christians as well as pagans,

From me, this is more Druid, but some pagan traditions embrace it as well.

wished to have healed.

When conducting a ritual here, Straffon said she and her friends decorate the well with candles and call in Brigid using Gaelic chants, just the way she imagines people did for centuries. "This gives us a sense of connecting with our ancestors who lived here," she said. "It allows us to relate to the land and give it thanks."

Pagans don't delight everyone in Cornwall. Some members of a local church have stripped the clouties at well sites, Straffon said, and a fundamentalist Christian farmer knocked down a standing stone on his land. But as we sloshed through mud back to the road and rain began to fall, Straffon remarked that, judging by the number of visitors from afar seeking out the local sacred sites,

Celts must be everywhere. "I believe if you feel Celtic," she said, "you become Celtic."

the history of the Celtic people is diverse

Most of us are unaware that Celts once dominated the breadth of Europe from the Black Sea to the Atlantic—and for a long time. An early form of Welsh was spoken in Britain 1,500 years before Old English took root. The Celtic languages still spoken in Europe hark back to the Late Bronze Age (1200-800 b.c. ) and a civilization of aristocratic warrior tribes. The word "Celtic" comes from the Greek Keltoi, first appearing in the sixth century b.c. to describe "barbarians" living inland from the Mediterranean Sea. Little suggests these people united or called themselves Celts. Yet there is no denying that these far-flung peoples spoke closely related languages and shared beliefs, styles of art and weaponry, and tribal societies. Trade, principally by water, connected them. Calling them Celts makes sense, if only to separate them from what they weren't: Roman or Greek.

All this categorizing might easily have become an arid academic debate about a lost people. Beginning in the second century b.c. Roman legions vanquished Celtic armies across Europe.

Only the peoples of northern Britain and Ireland remained unconquered.

In the fifth century a.d.the Anglo-Saxons invaded Celtic lands, followed by the Vikings, storming the coasts in their long warships, the Normans, who attacked from France, and finally the colonizing armies of the English and French crowns. From these wars of resistance came many Celtic heroes and martyrs such as the legendary King Arthur, the Irish High King Brian Boru, and Scotland's William Wallace, known as Braveheart.

By the end of the Middle Ages, Celtic culture was headed toward extinction, its remnants pushed to the very western edge of Europe. "No one else wanted to live where the Celts did," a Breton man said. "Those places were poor and remote, and no one spoke their languages."

Being ostracized to no-man's-land did not spare the Celts from further depredations. The English and French banned or restricted their languages, their instruments and music, their names, their right to own property, and in the case of the kilt-wearing Scottish Highland clans, even their clothing. It's a bit miraculous Celtic civilization survived in any form. By clinging to the fringes, geographically and culturally, Celts refused to vanish.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal

Hard to top that comment, Enoch. I think you covered all bases there!

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

Dear Friend Perrie: Thanks.

Best to address topics with facts.

They speak for themselves.

Addressing facts on the ground also works out better for everyone than attacking a person.

E.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch    7 years ago

Dear Friends KPR37, Kavika and Perrie: Super article and commentary posted.

Good on you all, each and every one.

Let me see if I can make a good case for Israel.

Israel is a vibrant democracy with freedom of speech, press and religion. 

Israel is surrounded by collection of tyrannical and undemocratic regimes, many of whom actively seek its destruction. Directly through wars, and indirectly by giving safe haven, weaponry, funding, and political cover in the UN to terrorist groups bent on killing Jews mostly. Murdering anyone living in Israel will do.

Many of its neighbors imprison, and sometimes execute gays and lesbians  and their straight relatives. Those suspected of not siding with their governments, rightly or wrongly are systematically tortured and executed. Women in these countries are beheaded for adultery (or suspicion thereof). They are to blame and are to be punished when they are raped, to defend family honor. Religious minorities there are given second class status. No protection from either hostile crowds or the governments themselves form discrimination, and persecution. 

None of this happens or is legal or would be tolerated in Israel by its government, and the bulk of its population.

Israel has repeatedly offered land for peace. When they gave up land unilaterally to get the ball rolling, the land was used to launch lethal attacks against its citizens.

Contrast that to China and its treatment of Tibet.  

Slavery and human trafficking, human shields are common practices in some parts of the world. Not in Israel.

The Israeli Supreme Court routinely has ruled in favor of non-Jewish minorities, and Palestinians claims for justice. Anyone care to give even a single example of when and where that happened in either Gaza, the West Bank, or any other Arab and.or Muslim Enclave anywhere on the planet?

Israel has no death penalty, save for convicted mass murders. Only one received it. Adolph Eichmann. How many people, Jewish, Israeli, Native or otherwise has lost their lives from beheadings hanging shootings and torturing to death in neighboring states?

Israel has a policy of full equality for gays in its military and non Jews in its Knesset. Any in Palestine? Other nations in the area or globally that decry Israel?  

Is it any wonder that well respected historians such as Professors Paul E. Fuller and Joseph Binsford, along with political commentators such as Andrew Sullivan agree with the premise in this seminal article, a must read for all Newstalkers that Israel is a shining example of how a much threatened nation took, takes and will continue to take the highest moral ground amidst all the hatred and desires to kill it off around it?

Israel remains a beacon of illumination for the region and the world. It shows what a nation can be, even under the most pressing and serious of challenges. 

Ha Tikvah is the nation song of Israel. It means, "The Hope".

Israel is the hope for the region and the world on how to put morality over hatred.

Of how to stand for something, not just against things neighbors achieve.

Those in the know are proudly Zionists, who ever they are, and what ever their background.

Peace and Abundant Blessings to One and All.

Enoch.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Enoch   7 years ago

H3413L77840697.jpg

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Dear Friend Buzz: Netzach Yisrael lo Yisaker. The people of Israel will not perish.

As an acronym, Nili is a common female first name.

It is my daughter's middle name.

Thanks for the post and the image.

E. 

kpr37
Professor Silent

Those in the know are proudly Zionists

You might find this interesting.

I'm a Zionist because I know history. One thing I don't know is a question I had read, that greatly puzzled the Greeks translating the Septuagint.

toafos of a re'em ?

Horn of a Oryx or Unicorn" I dont know if that is real, I just found it interesting.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch  replied to  kpr37   7 years ago

Dear Friend KPR37: You post a most interesting question. The term Toafoat Rayem or Re'em most probably refers to Deuteronomy Chapter 33 Verse 17. "His firstling bullock, majesty is his; and his horns are the horns of a wild ox; with them he shall gore the peoples all, even to the ends of the earth; and they are the ten thousands of Ephraim, and the thousands of Manesseh".

In this passage, each of the twelve tribes had its role in the nation. Division of labor. These two tribes were the major warriors. Toafot or Toafoth refers tio wealth or fortune. It is never used in singular form. Always in plural. Perhaps, as herders assessed their success by size of herd, so too Israel's fortune is dependent on the size of its fighting forces. Not number of troops on the ground. How effectively and efficiently they are able to defend the nation. Ray M or Re'em can refer to any member of the deer family. Antelope or Oryx in that part of the world. The Oryx is a very majestic looking animal. Its horns are an elegant work of art. However, when in combat, they are indeed a force with which to recon.

I hope this helps.

Great question, good friend.

Please keep them coming.  

Peace and Abundant Blessings Always.

Enoch.

kpr37
Professor Silent
link   seeder  kpr37  replied to  Enoch   7 years ago

Dear Friend KPR37: You post a most interesting question. The term Toafoat Rayem or Re'em most probably refers to Deuteronomy Chapter 33 Verse 17. "His firstling bullock, majesty is his; and his horns are the horns of a wild ox; with them he shall gore the peoples all, even to the ends of the earth; and they are the ten thousands of Ephraim, and the thousands of Manesseh".

In this passage, each of the twelve tribes had its role in the nation.

Thank you. I've wondered ever since I read that over 20 years ago.

Kavika
Professor Principal

Kpr, since the article was written by a Metis, I was wondering how many people commenting or reading the article actually know who and what the Metis people are. 

If anyone has any questions regrading this, I would be happy to try to answer them. It may even give a greater insight to why this article was written. As you said earlier in one of your comments, ''it's complicated'' and the relationship between indigenous people of the Americas is closely related to the Jewish people and surprisingly in doing a bit of research on your people Kpr, there are many similarities. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Canadian students, in their Canadian history classes, learn about Riel and the Metis. Americans most likely don't.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Dear Friend Buzz: Too many Americans think the trail of tears refers to teens who stood in line and couldn't get tickets to a rock concert!

Ishmar Shoorch and Alexander Shindler both observed separately that the very pages which most grab the attention of Jewish People in our history books do not appear at all in the history texts of those who did us dirt.

Native and First American, and followers of KPR37's religious heritage also get the same short straws.

We need to do better about inclusiveness and accuracy in our academic texts.

E.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Enoch   7 years ago

There is very little in American history books that is accurate when it comes to American Indians. In fact, most isn't addressed. 

I wonder how many people are aware that it was Polly Cooper and the Oneida Indians that helped save George Washington and the rag tag army at Valley Forge...

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Dear Kavika: Too few!

Good point.

E.

kpr37
Professor Silent

There is very little in American history books that is accurate when it comes to American Indians. In fact, most isn't addressed.

I've always wondered if things for the native Americans would have been deferent if pagans had more say than the christians back in the 1600s. I would at least like to think it would have been different.

Everybody forgets the pagans as well. Thomas Morton, pagan, founder of "new-Canaan"  (MerryMount) Massachusetts Bay Colony 1624

Morton, a senior partner in a Crown-sponsored trading venture, sailed to New  England in 1624 with a Captain Wollaston and 30 indentured young men. They  settled and began trading for furs on a spit of land given them by the native  Algonquin tribes, whose culture the classically educated, broad-minded Morton soon came to admire as far more civilized and humanitarian than that of his  intolerant, brutal European neighbors. When Wollaston began seeking more profits  by selling off the indentured servants to hard labor on the Virginia tobacco  plantations, Morton persuaded the remaining servants (it wasn't hard) to reject  their harsh master and throw in with this visionary as free members of a colony that would trade and live in harmony with the local tribes.

Perhaps under "Brehon law", pagan religious law

It didn't take long for the free-thinking Morton to draw the ire of the  nearby Puritans. His prosperous, easygoing colony attracted escapees from the  harsh, hunger-ridden regime of the Plymouth plantation. Morton had no  compunctions about trading guns to his Indian friends, whom the Puritans viewed  as hostile savages. They resented Morton's intellectual scorn for their  fundamentalist pieties, which he thought simply masked their stupidity and  greed . (Morton made up mocking names for the Puritan leaders — the diminutive  soldier Miles Standish he called "Captain Shrimpe," and the pompous John  Endicott he dismissed as "that great swelling fellow, Captain Littleworth.") The  Puritans condemned Morton as an impious, drunken libertine who — worst sin of  all — consorted with the native women and encouraged his men to do so, too.

The final straw for the Puritans came when Morton erected his great Maypole,  renamed his colony (from Mt. Wollaston to "Merry Mount" — or "Ma-re Mount,"  punning on the Latin word for "sea"), and threw a merrie olde pagan MayDay party  to help woo Indian wives for his young bachelors. Morton penned a courtly poem  for the occasion full of references to Greek mythology and gods and goddesses "which although it were made according to the occurrents [fashions] of the  time," he later wrote, "puzzled the Separatists [as the Puritans were then  called] most pitifully to expound it.

"The setting up of this Maypole was a lamentable spectacle to the precise  Separatists that lived at new Plymouth. They termed it an Idoll; yea they called  it the Calf of Horeb: and stood at defiance with the place, naming it Mount  Dagon; threatening to make it a woefull mount and not a merry mount."

Or, as the Puritan Gov. William Bradford wrote with horror in his History  of Plymouth Plantation : "They ... set up a May-pole, drinking and dancing  about it many days together, inviting the Indian women, for their consorts,  dancing and frisking together , (like so many fairies, or furies rather,) and  worse practices. As if they had anew revived & celebrated the feasts of ye  Roman Goddess Flora, or ye beastly practices of ye mad Bacchanalians ."

The Puritans made good on their "woefull" threat — motivated, later  historians suggest, as much by Merrymount's challenge to their fur monopoly as  by its defiant heathenism. Miles Standish and his troops invaded Merrymount,  seized Morton without a shot fired in defense — to avoid bloodshed, according to  Morton; because the inhabitants were too drunk to lift their weapons, according  to Bradford — and hauled him in chains before the governor to be tried for his  supposed crimes.

Bradford didn't dare execute Morton, who was well-connected in London, so he  marooned him on a desert isle till an English ship could carry him back to  England. John Endicott chopped down the proud Maypole, scattered Merrymount's  inhabitants and destroyed its houses.

Morton spent the  next decade in London fighting the Puritans with his pen and legal skills. He  published New English Canaan in 1637, describing  America's bounty and defending the wisdom and decency of her native inhabitants,   while wittily excoriating the Puritan settlers. He was instrumental in having  the royal charter of their Massachusetts Bay Colony revoked.

But times were rapidly changing in England, too. The newly rising Puritan  Roundheads, struggling with the old-guard Royalist Cavaliers, would soon win the  Civil War that not only decapitated the English Crown (laying the groundwork for  the American Revolution) but also persecuted and destroyed the remaining vestiges of Merrie Olde England's pagan past

Kavika
Professor Principal

This speech by Red Jacket is well worth reading and understanding the native mind on Christians or all stripes..

Red Jacket Defends Native American Religion, 1805

by Red Jacket

The Senecas, members of the Iroquois Confederacy, fought on the side of the British in the American Revolution. Red Jacket, also known as Sagoyewatha, was a chief and orator born in eastern New York; he derived his English name from his habit of wearing many red coats provided to him by his British allies. After the hostilities, as the British ceded their territories to the Americans, the Senecas and many other Indian peoples faced enormous pressure on their homelands. Red Jacket was a critical mediator in relations between the new U.S. government and the Senecas; he led a delegation that met with George Washington in 1792, when he received a peace medal that appeared in subsequent portraits of the Indian leader. In 1805 a Boston missionary society requested Red Jacket’s permission to proselytize among the Iroquois settlements in northern New York State. Red Jacket’s forceful defense of native religion, below, caused the representative to refuse the Indian’s handshake and announce that no fellowship could exist between the religion of God and the works of the Devil.

Friend and brother; it was the will of the Great Spirit that we should meet together this day. He orders all things, and he has given us a fine day for our council. He has taken his garment from before the sun, and caused it to shine with brightness upon us; our eyes are opened, that we see clearly; our ears are unstopped, that we have been able to hear distinctly the words that you have spoken; for all these favors we thank the Great Spirit, and him only.

Brother, this council fire was kindled by you; it was at your request that we came together at this time; we have listened with attention to what you have said. You requested us to speak our minds freely; this gives us great joy, for we now consider that we stand upright before you, and can speak what we think; all have heard your voice, and all speak to you as one man; our minds are agreed.

Brother, you say you want an answer to your talk before you leave this place. It is right you should have one, as you are a great distance from home, and we do not wish to detain you; but we will first look back a little, and tell you what our fathers have told us, and what we have heard from the white people.

Brother, listen to what we say. There was a time when our forefathers owned this great island. Their seats extended from the rising to the setting sun. The Great Spirit had made it for the use of Indians. He had created the buffalo, the deer, and other animals for food. He made the bear and the beaver, and their skins served us for clothing. He had scattered them over the country, and taught us how to take them. He had caused the earth to produce corn for bread. All this he had done for his red children because he loved them. If we had any disputes about hunting grounds, they were generally settled without the shedding of much blood. But an evil day came upon us; your forefathers crossed the great waters, and landed on this island. Their numbers were small; they found friends, and not enemies; they told us they had fled from their own country for fear of wicked men, and come here to enjoy their religion. They asked for a small seat; we took pity on them, granted their request, and they sat down amongst us; we gave them corn and meat; they gave us poison in return. The white people had now found our country; tidings were carried back, and more came amongst us; yet we did not fear them, we took them to be friends; they called us brothers; we believed them, and gave them a larger seat. At length, their numbers had greatly increased; they wanted more land; they wanted our country. Our eyes were opened, and our minds became uneasy. Wars took place; Indians were hired to fight against Indians, and many of our people were destroyed. They also brought strong liquor among us; it was strong and powerful, and has slain thousands.

Brother, our seats were once large, and yours were very small; you have now become a great people, and we have scarcely a place left to spread our blankets; you have got our country, but are not satisfied; you want to force your religion upon us.

Brother, continue to listen. You say you are sent to instruct us how to worship the Great Spirit agreeably to his mind, and if we do not take hold of the religion which you white people teach, we shall be unhappy hereafter. You say that you are right, and we are lost; how do we know this to be true? We understand that your religion is written in a book; if it was intended for us as well as you, why has not the Great Spirit given it to us, and not only to us, but why did he not give to our forefathers the knowledge of that book, with the means of understanding it rightly? We only know what you tell us about it. How shall we know when to believe, being so often deceived by the white people?

Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit; if there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agree, as you can all read the book?

Brother, we do not understand these things. We are told that your religion was given to your forefathers, and has been handed down from father to son. We also have a religion which was given to our forefathers, and has been handed down to us their children. We worship that way. It teacheth us to be thankful for all the favors we receive; to love each other, and to be united. We never quarrel about religion.

Brother, the Great Spirit has made us all; but he has made a great difference between his white and red children; he has given us a different complexion, and different customs; to you he has given the arts; to these he has not opened our eyes; we know these things to be true. Since he has made so great a difference between us in other things, why may we not conclude that he has given us a different religion according to our understanding. The Great Spirit does right; he knows what is best for his children; we are satisfied.

Brother, we do not wish to destroy your religion, or take it from you; we only want to enjoy our own.

Brother, you say you have not come to get our land or our money, but to enlighten our minds. I will now tell you that I have been at your meetings, and saw you collecting money from the meeting. I cannot tell what this money was intended for, but suppose it was for your minister; and if we should conform to your way of thinking, perhaps you may want some from us.

Brother, we are told that you have been preaching to the white people in this place. These people are our neighbors; we are acquainted with them; we will wait, a little while and see what effect your preaching has upon them. If we find it does them good, makes them honest and less disposed to cheat Indians, we will then consider again what you have said.

Brother, you have now heard our answer to your talk, and this is all we have to say at present. As we are going to part, we will come and take you by the hand, and hope the Great Spirit will protect you on your journey, and return you safe to your friends.

Source: Daniel Drake, Lives of Celebrated American Indians, Boston, Bradbury, Soden & Co. 1843), 283–87.

kpr37
Professor Silent

Very beautiful, thank you for the link. He was a brilliant man.

Brother, the Great Spirit has made us all; but he has made a great difference between his white and red children; he has given us a different complexion, and different customs; to you he has given the arts; to these he has not opened our eyes; we know these things to be true. Since he has made so great a difference between us in other things, why may we not conclude that he has given us a different religion according to our understanding. The Great Spirit does right; he knows what is best for his children; we are satisfied.

Brother, we do not wish to destroy your religion, or take it from you; we only want to enjoy our own.

Brother, you say you have not come to get our land or our money, but to enlighten our minds. I will now tell you that I have been at your meetings, and saw you collecting money from the meeting. I cannot tell what this money was intended for, but suppose it was for your minister; but suppose it was for your minister; and if we should conform to your way of thinking, perhaps you may want some from us.

Brother, we are told that you have been preaching to the white people in this place. These people are our neighbors; we are acquainted with them; we will wait, a little while and see what effect your preaching has upon them. If we find it does them good, makes them honest and less disposed to cheat Indians, we will then consider again what you have said.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Unless there have been a lot of changes in U.S. schools I would bet none Buzz.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Dear Friend Kavika: I concur.

Superlative observation about our three sets of nations.

Thanks.

E.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson    7 years ago

This article was posted while I was under a 1-week suspension, so I've only just now discovered it.

Excellent!

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch  replied to  Bob Nelson   7 years ago

Dear Friend Bob Nelson: Welcome back.

E.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson  replied to  Enoch   7 years ago

I've been back for a week, already -- in time for all the Charlottesville festivities. But this was apparently posted before that. I'm sorry I missed it. The comparison between the Israeli mind-set and that of many Native Americans is very interesting.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch  replied to  Bob Nelson   7 years ago

Dear Friend Bob Nelson: The history, culture and spiritual values of indigenous Americans and Jewish Peoples are very close indeed.

We are not alone in this.

There are always differences.

Best respect them, and form coalitions on similarities.

That moves the ball down the field faster.

E.