╌>

Where Are The U.S. Monuments To Imperial Japan and Nazi Germany?

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  johnrussell  •  7 years ago  •  16 comments

Where Are The U.S. Monuments To Imperial Japan and Nazi Germany?

There are 46 million of people of German descent in the U.S.     There are over one million Americans of Japanese descent. 

Where are the U.S.  public memorials to German War heroes of WW2, or the generals of the Japanese Empire?

I searched on Bing and couldn't find evidence of any.

Why not, after all they were enemy nations of the United States that oppressed and enslaved people and went to war with us?  And lost.

Cannot we extend the hand of friendship to Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan the way we seem to extend it to Confederate generals?

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell    7 years ago

Of course, the people of the US South are our brothers and sisters and we accept them and cherish them.  But we should not honor the confederacy.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson    7 years ago

Where are the monuments to Revolutionary War general Aaron Burr? 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    7 years ago

Why weren't people asking that question when confederate monuments were being commissioned?  It's a strange paradox indeed.

My dad tells a story of his heritage, whereby several siblings in his distant Indiana lineage were simultaneously fighting in the Civil War.  One of the brothers fought for the confederacy, the rest of them for the north.  At one point, the confederate one was wounded, and his brothers persuaded his captors to let them take him back home to recuperate and never join the southern ranks again.  He recovered, then snuck off one night to continue fighting for the south.  He was never heard from again, and his family couldn't have cared less about that traitorous piece of shit or what became of him.  I'm sure they would be aghast to see that we are still fighting about erecting monuments to the southern Civil War effort.

Old Hermit
Sophomore Silent
link   Old Hermit    7 years ago

Where are the monuments to Revolutionary War general Aaron Burr?

What, no honors for General Benedict Arnold? 

Come to that, I've been all over Texas and have yet to see the first monument lifted up in honor of Santa Anna and the brave Mexican solders that fought against the traitorous Texians in Texas's first civil war.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Old Hermit   7 years ago

Don't make too much sense AH. You will be ignored.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
link   Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Old Hermit   7 years ago

Come to that, I've been all over Texas and have yet to see the first monument lifted up in honor of Santa Anna and the brave Mexican solders that fought against the traitorous Texians in Texas's first civil war.

I was just thinking about that!  I guess someone will be wanting to blow up the Alamo before too long. 

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
link   Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו    7 years ago

It is on private property which is where all the confederate memorials can go if people want them so badly.  BTW, heard the moron Seattle mayor joined rightwing calls for its removal.  Again, private property!!!

Squirrel!
Freshman Silent
link   Squirrel!  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו   7 years ago

You're correct.  I did a quick search and Ed Murray, Seattle Mayor, is calling for the removal of the Lenin statue and a Confederate statue at a privately owned cemetary.  (Who would have thought that Seattle has a Confederate statue!)

But, that doesn't seem too unusual given the history of that part of the country that changed the logo of King County (the county which Seattle is in) from slave owner and former U.S. Vice President William Rufus de Vane King, to now represent The Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.  

Now that kind of makes Trump's suggestion that slave owners Washington and Jefferson and their statues might be next after the Confederate statues.

That's presents a really strange problem in that Washington (the state) is the only state in the U.S. named after a slave owner.  Maybe they shoud change the name of that state as well get rid of the statues?  And then what do they do about Washington D.C.?

What do you think?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson  replied to  Squirrel!   7 years ago

I don't see any problem with VP King. I'd guess that the change was to honor MLK on the cheap. "King county" remained "King county". 

Lenin would be OK in a history museum, but not so much in an ordinary park. The "Confederate statue" is too vague to draw conclusions. 

I insist once again that attitudes toward slavery had changed a great deal between 1789 and 1860, and the it is an error to apply the same standards to the leaders of those two periods. 

Squirrel!
Freshman Silent
link   Squirrel!  replied to  Bob Nelson   7 years ago

I don't see any problem with VP King.

Well, there's also the rumor(?) that Vice President W.R. de Vane King was gay, and that he had a long long lllloooonnnngggg gay relationship with President James Buchanan.  His alleged gayness, in addition to being a slave owner, may have been factors in addition to simply honoring Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. that the people in King County Washington may have considered.  (Interesting stuff you can learn on the internet!)

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

Today must be a day for false equivalencies. 

The question should be why do those countries not have statues to their war heros, not why don't we have statutes to their war heros. The simple answer to that would be because they were our enemy and the Germans and Japanese who lived here were of that decent, but Americans who fought against the Germans and Japanese. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

Germany = nation that fought United States

Japan = nation that fought United States

Confederacy = nation that fought United States

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty    7 years ago

You guys need to take a trip to Pearl Harbor and see the smiling Japanese tourists.