╌>

Do they add beauty?

Category:  Photography & Art

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  7 years ago  •  189 comments

Do they add beauty?

Do they add beauty?

I have seen designs of museums that are modern, such as the Milwuakee Art Museum, or the Guggenheim in NYC, and they were originally built in an ultra-modern style and they all are of creative designs that I consider appropriate and unique.  However, I have also seen vintage museums that displayed their own original sober beauty.  What I cannot bear is seeing a fine old building desecrated by adding to it some grotesque glass monster of an edifice such as the ones shown below. 

The Louvre in Paris, France

In the movie "The DaVinci Code",  when we first see the Louvre with its glass prism in front, a Paris officer calls it "A scar on the face of Paris ".  I agree with him.

"Lying within the Louvre Palace, the Louvre Museum is one of the most visited in the world. Opened in 1793, it houses about 38,000 items ranging from pre-historic times to the 21st century, including the Mona Lisa and the Venus de Milo paintings." *

museum 1.jpg

Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto, Canada

I have passed by the Royal Ontario Museum perhaps a thousand times.  It was an imposing building, solid and venerable. But then someone got the idea of adding something ultra-modern to it - an irregular appendage that mocks its surroundings.  I could not believe that Toronto could allow such a repugnant disaster to be displayed on one of Toronto's major streets.

"Opened in 1914, the museum is the largest in the country. The original brick and terracotta building was designed by local architects Darling and Pearson. Following a few renovations, the most impactful change was the addition of the Michael Lee-Chin Crystal in 2007, which was designed by Daniel Libeskind. It consists of five prismatic, interlocked structures made of glass, aluminum and steel." *

Museum 2.jpg

Bundeswehr Military History Museum in Dresden, Germany

IMO Daniel Libeskind should be put into solitary confinement.

"Located in a former military arsenal, the structure consists of two separate parts. The original building — an armory — was built between 1873-76 and turned into a museum in 1897. Cutting through it is a wedge-like transparent arrowhead, designed by Daniel Libeskind in 2011. The institution is a perfect blend of the historic and the modern, representing the authoritarian past and the open democratic society of the present." *

museum 3.jpg

* http://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/must-see/must-see-masterpieces-beautiful-museums-around-the-world/ss-AAqe1Xc#image=1

What do you think?

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

A change of pace - no American Politics.  Wow!!!  How unique.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

I dislike them all and I think they remove the beauty of the original buildings. When I was at the Louvre, I did my best not to get that stupid glass pyramid in the photo, but you do have to enter from there. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna    7 years ago

I agree.

And not just museums. Many new buildings throughout the world are built in a "modern" style that is just plain ugly. 

(And I find it even more annoying in places such as Europe  that have such a long history of incredibly beautiful architecture).

Why?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

On the other hand, Krishna, there are many modern buildings, even ultramodern, that are magnificent works of art in themselves.  It is the bastardizing of fine vintage architecture and design by smearing it with a totally conflicting style that I complain about in my article.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
link   sandy-2021492  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

A few years ago, our county was facing the question of whether to upgrade our existing courthouse, with limited space to do so, or build a new one.  It was quite the battle, with many wanting to preserve the old courthouse, which I believe was built in 1795 or so.  So the county commissioned an architect to determine what upgrades could be made in the space available, without damaging the historic courthouse.  They gave us an artist's rendition of the expansion.  And it was horrible.  A very modern-looking glass atrium tacked on to a colonial courthouse that was showing some wear.  Either style by itself was fine, but to splice them together - yuck.  And it still wouldn't have been terribly functional.  So we built a new courthouse.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  sandy-2021492   7 years ago

daviess county courthouse.jpg My hometown did the same thing in the early 60s.  And Oh. My. Gosh.  For one thing, they tore down the beautiful old courthouse, leaving a gaping hole in the front lawn.  And for another thing, they went for the ultra modern look of the early 1960s.  I think that was out of style/date in 1970.  UGLY.  One last thing, it was too small for the existing offices, even in 1964.  They have had to split up a lot of things and move them to other buildings, because it has no more room to build...

At least, you could add to this design, and not have it be such a jarring change from old time to new...

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
link   sandy-2021492  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

An interesting twist to our county's problem was the fact that the original owner of the courthouse property willed it to the county, with the stipulation that it be used as a courthouse, else the bequest would be voided.  So we pretty much had to keep the old one, or the county would lose the property and it would have to be split among hundreds of heirs.

So, now we have one courthouse complex in the historic downtown, and one at the northern border of town.  I like both of them as examples of their own styles of architecture, but they would have looked terrible next to each other.

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

On the other hand, Krishna, there are many modern buildings, even ultramodern, that are magnificent works of art in themselves.

I agree.

My comments weren't clear. I have seen many modern building that are really great. But what I was objecting to were many that are not. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

You just gave me an idea - to post an article on modern buildings that are more of a blight than an thing of beauty.  Of course personal taste is a factor in that. 

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Great idea Buzz!

This article is a refreshing breath. Art and it's discussion  are worthy of such; plus, you have been an informative and gracious host. I think such an article would be served well. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Larry Hampton   7 years ago

Thanks, Larry.

The funny thing is that this article has morphed into discussions about animals and fllowers.  LOL

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates

Ha!

,,,as every conversation around Art tends to drift ...

reminds me of pipes and beer in the dorm,,,

:~)

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  Larry Hampton   7 years ago

reminds me of pipes and beer in the dorm,,,

Well, there were a lot of students practicing shamanism in those days:

Do Glass Pipes, Incense Prove Teens Are Practicing Shamanism?

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton  replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

While the pipe is no longer needed by the Shaman, it is always welcome.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
link   Raven Wing  replied to  Larry Hampton   7 years ago

LOL!  My Grandfather, who was full-blood Cherokee, always had his pipe with him. Even when he didn't smoke it he would often just hold it in his mouth. Especially, when he wanted to think deeply about something. He was not a Shaman, but, he was sort of a visionary. His pipe had been given to him as a young man by his Grandfather who was said to also be a visionary.  

Krishna
Professor Expert

You just gave me an idea - to post an article on modern buildings that are more of a blight than an thing of beauty

You could do two articles perhaps-- one about modern bldgs that are a blight, one about modern buildings that are really beautiful.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

I think I will combine them - call it "Beauties and Beasts - an Architectual Adventure". There should be a better word than "Adventure" that denotes opposites.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

I think I will combine them - call it "Beauties and Beasts - Architectual Perspectives".

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell    7 years ago

They are conversation pieces. 

The one in the middle looks either a giant flying contraption that crashed to the ground or a modernistic barn that was hit by a tornado. 

The one on the bottom looks photoshopped. How does part of the arrow structure get behind the front of the building? 

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
link   Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו    7 years ago

Short of just tearing down all the old architecture in order not to have styles clash, what would be the remedy to the complaint some of you have?  Have art and culture police who make sure the styles never face each other so that no one's artistic ideas are offended?  "You can't put that cubist in the same museum as that impressionist! It violates the laws of nature!!"  It smacks of artistic ludditism. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו   7 years ago

"You can't put that cubist in the same museum as that impressionist! It violates the laws of nature!!"

I think you've missed the point of the article. It wasn't about putting the Sydney Opera House next to the Palace of Versailles, I was talking about not putting earphones on the Mona Lisa, or not putting a cellphone in the hand of Gainsborough's Blue Boy.  As far as I'm concerned I have no problem with placing a Jackson Pollock next to Turner's Fighting Temeraire.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    7 years ago

It also bothers me that they sometimes leave the old gorgeous front of the building, tear off the back, and add some mirrored monstrosity behind it.  I mean EEEK!  I'd rather see the old beauty that this nightmare!

Well, it must have closed, because I can't find it.  Not even on Google Maps, street view.  WHAT a shame!

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
link   sandy-2021492    7 years ago

I'm not crazy about the Louvre, but it doesn't offend my eyes like the other two.  They all look like they're trying too hard.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary  replied to  sandy-2021492   7 years ago

I have to agree.  The Louvre is the least offensive of all of them.

Thanks Buzz.  An interesting article and discussion.

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ    7 years ago

I'm not a fan of modern artsy fartsy styles.  I've been to the Louvre and agree with Perrie.  It takes away from the experience and the atmosphere.  I prefer the classic architecture.  The same with graveyards.  I love the old graveyards and tombstones and often go and walk around them and read what's been engraved.  The newer ground plaques just don't do it for me.  Sorry for being off topic

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
link   sandy-2021492  replied to  PJ   7 years ago

I understand the reasoning for the ground plaques - they make maintenance easier.  But yeah, they're just not the same.

And I agree about "artsy fartsy" styles.  I like the Guggenheim.  I like Frank Lloyd Wright.  The examples above, not so much.  They ignore function, and destroy form.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

You know what a lot of these new buildings remind me of?  Especially in Indianapolis, IN-- all the downtown government buildings look like they were designed by Nazis.  The doors are 3-6X taller that any human, and all out of whack.  I'm NOT making a political comment.  These new buildings built in the 70s and 80s just look like Adolf had a hand in their design...

Indiana state office bldg.jpg

Like this one...  All out of proportion...

adolf painting.jpg

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert

Made more for supermen than men?

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Yes, despite the power assist to get inside, the doors are VERY heavy and hard to open-- And about 20' tall.  I feel like small child, banging on the door.  Other people have trouble, too.  They have to station a receptionist right there at the door to let people in.  

What's the purpose of a public building you can't get into?  winking

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    7 years ago

Toledo, OH has a world class Art Museum.  Twenty some years ago they put on a modern addition to the existing classical architecture.  Most people hated it, but I liked it.

museum1.jpg museum2.jpg museum3.jpg

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

To me, it looks like a WWII bunker...

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
link   sandy-2021492  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

I actually kinda like that one, too.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Well, to each his own.  That would be a spot I'd consider hiding in, in the event of nuclear war...  winking

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert

Nothing wrong with multi-purposing Happy

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

thumbs up

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Hal A. Lujah   7 years ago

The additon to the Toledo museum appears to be beside, rather than right in front of the classic building.  Besides, the bunker design is relatively modest, and does not crashingly clash with the existing building. The article is about placing an entirely clashing blight upon the primary and central view of the building.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton    7 years ago

Lottsa bounty ripped ouuta the earth to create such garish edifices to human arrogance.

Great article Buzz.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide

I agree, Larry. I am reminded of the contemporary art that was the big craze many years ago. For me it was grotesque and totally uncomfortable. I had a friend who redid her entire house redone with contemporary furniture and art work. I found it difficult to visit too often, as it was just too much for the eyes to handle. But, she was happy with it and that is all that mattered.

I find the additions in the pictures displayed here not to my liking. But, art, like beauty, is in the eyes of the beholder. (smile)

Junior Participates
link   Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Larry Hampton   7 years ago

Lottsa bounty ripped ouuta the earth to create such garish edifices to human arrogance.

Doesn't hat pretty much describe  all great building projects over human existence?

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו   7 years ago

Yes Atheist I would agree, yet with our skill and technology we now are capable of building which enhances rather than detracts from Nature. Take Organic Architecture for example...

lines.gif

Frank Lloyd Wright and the Principles of Organic Architecture 
By Kimberly Elman

“So here I stand before you preaching organic architecture: declaring organic architecture to be the modern ideal and the teaching so much needed if we are to see the whole of life, and to now serve the whole of life, holding no ‘traditions’ essential to the great TRADITION. Nor cherishing any preconceived form fixing upon us either past, present or future, but—instead—exalting the simple laws of common sense—or of super-sense if you prefer—determining form by way of the nature of materials...”
—  Frank Lloyd Wright, An Organic Architecture, 1939

Frank Lloyd Wright introduced the word ‘organic’ into his philosophy of architecture as early as 1908. It was an extension of the teachings of his mentor Louis Sullivan whose slogan “form follows function” became the mantra of modern architecture. Wright changed this phrase to “form and function are one,” using nature as the best example of this integration.

Although the word ‘organic’ in common usage refers to something which has the characteristics of animals or plants, Frank Lloyd Wright’s organic architecture takes on a new meaning. It is not a style of imitation, because he did not claim to be building forms which were representative of nature. Instead, organic architecture is a reinterpretation of nature’s principles as they had been filtered through the intelligent minds of men and women who could then build forms which are more natural than nature itself.

Organic architecture involves a respect for the properties of the materials—you don’t twist steel into a flower—and a respect for the harmonious relationship between the form/design and the function of the building (for example, Wright rejected the idea of making a bank look like a Greek temple). Organic architecture is also an attempt to integrate the spaces into a coherent whole: a marriage between the site and the structure and a union between the context and the structure.

Fallingwaterfranklloydwright.jpg

~LINK~

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
link   Spikegary  replied to  Larry Hampton   7 years ago

I love that house.....

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
link   sandy-2021492  replied to  Spikegary   7 years ago

I love that house.....

Me, too.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  sandy-2021492   7 years ago

So do I - if ever I could live in any house in the world, that would for sure be one of my first choices.  On the other hand I sort of liked Nikki's grandmother's home overlooking the Mediterranean in "An Affair to Remember".

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

It is positively one of the best pieces of modern architecture ever. I went to see a number of years ago, and it was even better in real life. A good reason to go to Pennsylvania. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide

Living amidst nature would be very much to my liking, however, with that river running constantly right next to the home, I'd likely pee myself to death before long. (grin)

But, the architecture of the structure itself is pretty appealing, and the setting is beautiful as well. I've seen pictures of very beautiful homes built into the side of hills, and in converted caves in hillsides. The innovations in their construction to make best use of their surroundings is really interesting.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton  replied to  Raven Wing   7 years ago

I know what ya mean Raven; my past-middle-aged-prostrate wouldn't appreciate the added stimuli...

Also interesting is the return to Nature for wisdom and protection in seeking and finding shelter. Check these ones out...

EskimoThermalIgloo.jpg

modern thermal igloos!

Raven Wing
Professor Guide

Wow! I have never seen those before. How interesting. Thanks for sharing this picture. thumbs up

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
link   sandy-2021492  replied to  Raven Wing   7 years ago

I believe they were built with the intention of allowing folks to see the aurora borealis.  It's on my bucket list.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
link   Raven Wing  replied to  sandy-2021492   7 years ago

I guess that could be true, sandy. It doesn't say where the picture was taken from. But, that could be a good reason for building them that way.  

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
link   sandy-2021492  replied to  Raven Wing   7 years ago

I've seen them on Facebook.  They're somewhere in Scandinavia, but I can't remember where.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
link   Raven Wing  replied to  sandy-2021492   7 years ago

Ahhh...that would make sense then. Thanks for the follow-up information. (smile)

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton  replied to  Raven Wing   7 years ago

Exactly so.

They have a variety of great spaces!

kakslauttanen_Keloglass_igloo_1366x768.jpg

Anybody up for a winter NTer's convention?!

Raven Wing
Professor Guide

Very innovative way to let people take advantage of the beautiful sights available to the area. Thank you for the link. (smile)

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
link   sandy-2021492  replied to  Larry Hampton   7 years ago

Anybody up for a winter NTer's convention?!

If the venue looks like that, I'm in.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur  replied to  sandy-2021492   7 years ago

If a NT meet is being considered, whoever is thinking seriously about one might put up some ideas, venues, etc. for discussion/input.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Larry Hampton   7 years ago

"Anybody up for a winter NTer's convention?!"

In the Yukon?  I actually saw the Aurora Borealis from my Haliburton, Ontario, chalet in the winter.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

I saw it in Wyoming and Montana.  Wish I could see it again!

Junior Participates
link   Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Saw my first  in Sioux Lookout, Ont.  1980.   Here's a little aurora quiz:  Do they have the aurora borealis in the southern hemisphere?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו   7 years ago

???

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
link   sandy-2021492  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו   7 years ago

They have aurora australis.

Junior Participates
link   Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  sandy-2021492   7 years ago

They have aurora australis.

DINGDINGDINGDINGDING!!!!!

Not surprised it was you, Sandy (and only you) who responded. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  Larry Hampton   7 years ago

I've always wanted to go to Finland!

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur    7 years ago

My graduate thesis in the fields of FINE ART/ART HISTORY was entitled …

"The Role of Presupposition in the Perception of Art"

Among other things, it explored the endless discussions on just what the "meaning and purpose" of a work of art might ultimately be.

I speculated that, broadly speaking, a majority of a cross section of individuals when asked about that, would say things like … 

• To create something beautiful

• To make some kind of a statement

Immediately following that, I asked … "Can a work of art, in addition to 'making a statement,' ASK A QUESTION … A QUESTION EVEN ABOUT ITS OWN VIABILITY AND MEANING?"

Like the architecture or not … IT'S WHAT HAS YOU IN DISCUSSION … IT HAS CAUSED YOU TO REACT!

And whether or not Buzz posted this discussion, I dare say, were any of you to see these buildings in person, you'd react, question (aloud or to yourselves).

So I ask the question here …

WHAT IS THE ROLE OF PRESUPPOSITION IN THE PERCEPTION OF ART?

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

I would say Mac that Nature has instilled in all of us a desire to create, and that art for the most part is more of an inner reflection than anything else. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide

I agree, Larry. I find that by looking at a piece of artwork of any kind, it reflects the inner feelings, thoughts, reactions to events in life and/or the depth of their soul of those who created it.

It really isn't hard to see if the person who created the artwork is expressing their own inner self, or if they are merely creating something that they hope will simply appeal to others, as the 'mood' of the artworks are different. This can be seen especially in paintings, drawings and sculptures. At least for me.

Just my perspective. 

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

In Indianapolis, I run around downtown, feeling like a bug, about to be squished.   The buildings are very intimidating!  

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

WHAT IS THE ROLE OF PRESUPPOSITION IN THE PERCEPTION OF ART?

Good question!

And to take it a step further (granted, this may be a bit "off-topic")-- What is the role of pre-supposition in ..all perception???)

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur  replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

A fair question but so much broader than my thesis question. Where to begin?

I would respond by saying as I did in my thesis that we are the sum total of all our experiences to any point in time ... so logically, how we think, what we think and how we perceive would come from that data base.

This does not preclude objectivity ... but may affect its extent.

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago

A fair question but so much broader than my thesis question.

Yes-- I do realize it was a bit off topic.

But as with art, IMO everything we perceive is coloured by the observer. Several different people will look at the same exact thing, & what they see (or what they think they see) is different. 

And getting back to the subject of rrt, not only will different people sometimes describe the same actual details differently-- but then there's the factor of judgement of course. So different people will describe the same piece of art as being anything from a great masterpiece to..a piece of worthless ...garbage!

(And of course in many cases even the "experts" will disagree...)

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

I love the house with the waterfall under it, the problem for me would be as an old guy I'd be running to the toilet every 5 minutes....

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   PJ  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

That should pose no problem at all Kavika.  You could simply create your own waterfall.  hahahahaha

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  PJ   7 years ago

Well I guess that ''depends'' Pj.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
link   Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

"I'd be running to the toilet every 5 minutes...."

Me too, Kavika. One of my friends gave me a tabletop waterfall for Christmas one year, and while I love the natural look of nature, I could not stay in the same room with it, as all the gurgling and tinkling sound of the water made me have to run to the bathroom every few minutes. (ugh!)

I finally gave it to my Granddaughter and she really enjoyed it. 

Kavika
Professor Principal

The Pueblo people among other native tribes have been building with nature for thousands of years. Call them the original nature builders.

Image result for photos of the pueblo ruins

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Exactly,,,and how beautiful!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

See?  That is beautiful, and fits into the surroundings-- a thing of beauty in itself!

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
link   magnoliaave  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Cliff Dwellers.  We visited there.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

That is similar to ancient China:

mountainside.jpg

as well as Petra in Jordan

mountainside 1.jpg

A little fun story about Petra.  I was there in the year 2000, and I saw kids who set up a table with stones on it, selling the stones to tourists for $1 each, while their friends were picking up stones from the ground to put on the table.  Who was it who said "There's a sucker born every minute"?

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I guess it is a sad commentary that I would have gladly shelled out $1 for a piece of rock from Petra...

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert

But you're a geologist, right?  You're supposed to like rocks.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Yep.  I would gladly give $5 for a rock from Petra!  I mean, it's so neat looking!  Besides, it has a human history, too...  And my son, who wants to be an archaeologist, would also derive great enjoyment from a Petra rock!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

When I was a kid, my parents brought me back a rock that was a piece of petrified wood from the Petrified Forest. I don't know if they paid for it, or even if they were not allowed to do it.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

It probably wasn't a big deal when they got it...  Only of late, has it become a big deal, as many pf our famous sites were scattered all over the country.  Example:  Tom Sawyer's cave in Hannibal, MO.  You can't take a rock from the cave, and I wouldn't dream of doing it.  But the same rocks are in the ditch that borders the cave's parking lot, and taking a rock from there doesn't bug anyone.  It's Ste. Genevieve formation, which is the same formation as Mammoth Cave, here in KY.  Formations are usually over large areas...

Junior Participates
link   Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

And my son, who wants to be an archaeologist, would also derive great enjoyment from a Petra rock!

Just a bit of a heads-up on that.  Archeologists frown, I mean really frown, on people removing souvenirs from ancient sites like that.  

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו   7 years ago

Oh, I know that...  The trick is to find an area with the same rocks, and grab a sample where it doesn't matter...  Rock formations are usually large enough, so that a sample can be collected nearby, but doesn't disturb the real deal.

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

Oh, I know that...  The trick is to find an area with the same rocks, and grab a sample where it doesn't matter...  Rock formations are usually large enough, so that a sample can be collected nearby, but doesn't disturb the real deal.

I would imagine that in the vicinity of Petra there's a lot of rocks around of that type!(I almost went to Petra but I didn't, I'm sorry I missed the opportunity).

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

I would love to see the site, too!  A friend of mine visited Pompeii and brought me a sample of the volcanic ash the has solidified, and is now a rock.  She found it on the road, between Pompeii and the mountain.  Didn't bother anyone, nor did it disturb history-- but I have a sample from the eruption at Pompeii...  I'm thrilled!

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
link   Raven Wing  replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

WOW!!! I would be thrilled by that as well, Dowser. I wanted to be an archaeologist when I was younger so I could travel around and study all the wonderful ancient sites in our world history. I even took the basis courses required before college. However, life took a different turn and I was not able to realize my dream. But, the interest and desire to learn more about all avenues of ancient history has never left me. Perhaps in my next life. (smile)

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Raven Wing   7 years ago

I've always been fascinated by archaeology, but there weren't many classes you could take to do it in my university...  I never got to take a class just because I was interested and wanted to do so-- I was always working to meet some requirement somewhere...  Oh well!

Raven Wing
Professor Guide

"I was always working to meet some requirement somewhere... "

Same here, Dowser. I always had to meet the requirements. needs and/or expectations of someone else, and never really got to attain my own goals. Plus, in the South during my youth, girls didn't go to college, that was for boys. Girls were expected to just get married, have kids and keep house when they got out of high school.  Having a career of their own was totally frowned on, as no 'proper' young girl would never think of such a thing.  

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

My mother told me "the only reason I'm allowing you to go college is to find a husband."  She was so disappointed that I found a career.  The other thing she said, for the rest of her life, was that her biggest regret in life was allowing me to go to college.  ARGHH!

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert

The other thing she said, for the rest of her life, was that her biggest regret in life was allowing me to go to college.  ARGHH!

How sad that she couldn't take pride and pleasure in knowing that you found something you loved.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

It has long been a sad part of my life.  The past 32 years have always been about making me miserable, because she enjoyed it, and found it fun.  If I was happy, she was unhappy.  And if she was unhappy, NO ONE was going to be happy...  It was disloyal to be happy.  I don't mean to sound bitter, nor horrid, nor judgemental, or anything-- it just broke my heart to realize that my mother enjoyed her cruelty.  It took a long long time to see it, but I still don't understand it.  Whatever happens, I have to forgive her, to find peace inside myself.  It's not healthy to have all this stuff rear its ugly head every now and then...  And I definitely have 'triggers' that make me feel that helpless anger.

For the past 32 years, the only family I had was my mother-- everyone else was dead.  So I haven't heard a kind word from a family member, (excepting my own family, God bless them), in years and years...  That's hard to deal with.

Oh well.  LIfe goes on, and I am determined to never, ever, under any circumstances treat my son the same way!  In fact, I've given him permission to hand me a gun, so I can end all that, instantly-- if I haven't the sense to do it myself.  winking

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert

Hugs to you, Dowser.  I'm glad your own family has had your back.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Thank you, sandy!  Without them, I would have given up long ago!

Raven Wing
Professor Guide

I know you had some differences with your Mother at times, but, it is indeed heartbreaking that that she was displeased with her decision to let you attend college. Your education allowed you to do a great service for people in finding good, clean water when needed, as well as the other services that you provided, as well as being a career that brought you so much happiness and fulfillment. There are some decisions we have to make on our own as adults that our parents may not agree with. I am so glad that you were able to achieve your goal even though it may have brought your Mother displeasure. 

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Thank you!  That helps more than you can know!  It was a tough battle, all my career.  Mama was not the type to forgive and forget-- she never forgave and she never forgot.  I hope that, in heaven, she has managed to be healed, somehow.  If not, I don't necessarily want to go!  winking   (And here is where a few members on this site will say, "Don't worry about it, you'll never get there...")

Raven Wing
Professor Guide

"Don't worry about it, you'll never get there...")"

Dearest Dowser, true and loving Sister of my heart, if ever anyone was blind, or simply hateful enough, to ever say such a thing to you, here on NT or anywhere else, just ignore them, as they obviously do not know the truly kind, generous and wonderful person you really are and do not deserve a single thought from you.

Those of us who do know you can think of no other place that deserves you than being with the Creator.

(smile Big hugs )

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Thank you, dear friend!  I hope I get to see my family again, and my animals...  That's what I care about most!  thumbs up

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

(I almost went to Petra but I didn't, I'm sorry I missed the opportunity).

Actually it turned out for the best. At the time I was in Israel with a friend who was doing a commercial photo-shoot (Elephants' painting at the Jerusalem Zoo). . After it was over we had some time to spend before returning to the U.S. We were debating whether to go to Petra-- or Egypt. Egypt won (One of the others had already seen Petra) so Egypt it was! (This was just before 9/11-- at that time there were commercial flights between Israel and Egypt).

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates

Amazing that those are so replicated in modern eco friendly housing...

domehomewithgreenroof.jpg

Raven Wing
Professor Guide

Indeed! What beautiful scenery and creativeness incorporated to take advantage of the beauty of the surroundings without spoiling it. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide

I saw several of these types of cliff dwellings during my jaunts through Arizona and New Mexico many years ago. They were just awesome, and their designs were very innovative for their time. 

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
link   magnoliaave    7 years ago

I like it all, but my preference is classic architecture.  The modern architecture is something I can see my grandson creating on Mars someday!

Kavika
Professor Principal

I have a ''purple rock'' and when the light hits it, it gets more and more purple...

This was a gift from my favorite ''rocker''.....Drum roll please....Rockin' Dowser.

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

I have a ''purple rock'' and when the light hits it, it gets more and more purple...

Amethyst?

I have done some Feng Shui in my house-- I have an Amethyst crystal (Geode?) in one corner.

It looks a bit like this (but is much smaller):

Image result for amethyst geode

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

I don't know what it is Krish. We'll have to ask Dowser what it is. 

It looks a lot like this.

Image result for photos of purple rocks

Krishna
Professor Expert

I had thought there were few purple crystal stones but I googled-- apparently there are many! ( This looks like an interesting website ),

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

Are the crystals six-sided and pointy?  If so, it's probably quartz, which is called amethyst when it's purple.  Beautiful sample!

There are tons of purple minerals...  Here in KY, we have Fluorite, a beautiful purple mineral, but its crystal form is cubic.

Krishna
Professor Expert

Well I'm no expert, but I don't think that's Amethyst. I could be wrong but mainly: the crystalline structure looks different? Also the colour perhaps. 

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

It was part of Ben Clements' original collection...  I'm so glad that 1) I found it, and 2) could buy it...

Ben E. Clements Mineral Museum

You can tell from the pictures on the site how Fluorite is a cubic crystal form, as opposed to the hexagonal crystal form of quartz.  Fluorite has a hardness of 4, while quartz has a hardness of 5-5.5.  I love Fluorite!!!

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert

I had to look up flourite.  It's gorgeous!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

It comes in just about all colors, and is so pretty!  There may be banding in the crystals, or bi/tri colors.  I love it!  It's not good for jewelry, because it is so brittle...  But I think it is so pretty!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Dogs? Cats? Jewels? Feng Shui?

It's a good thing I don't care about off-topic threads on my articles.

LOL

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
link   Raven Wing    7 years ago

But...but...dogs and cats do add beauty as well. Right? (very big smile)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Raven Wing   7 years ago

Yes, and so do flowers:

J 27 14.jpg

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
link   Raven Wing  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

Indeed, Buzz, and that a beauty that one is.

This is one of my favorites, it's a Lace Iris 

Lace IrisRed.png

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

Absolutely beautiful indeed, Raven Wing.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide

To me the top looks like a little face inside hiding under a big fluffy hood, and wearing lovely flowing red skirt. However, others may see something else. (smile)   

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna  replied to  Raven Wing   7 years ago

But...but...dogs and cats do add beauty as well.

As does Feng Shui (but I suppose Buzz doesn't know anything about that :-)

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
link   Raven Wing  replied to  Krishna   7 years ago

"(but I suppose Buzz doesn't know anything about that"

Ya think? (very big grin)

Krishna
Professor Expert

Ya think? (very big grin)

Just another one of my feeble attempts at humour :-)

(If anyone here is unfamiliar with the term, Feng Shui is a very ancient Chinese practice-- about arranging buildings, and interiors so as to maximize the flow of positive "Chi" ..which is a universal energy {that some of the more "left-brain" types here wouldn't believe in. . .  even after an eclipse} )

Raven Wing
Professor Guide

"Just another one of my feeble attempts at humour "

Understood, Krishna, and I tried to play along. (grin)

I am big on the principle of Feng Shui.  Although I don't practice Feng Shui itself in my own house, I try to arrange my furnishing and lighting in order to bring about the best flow of energy and Spiritual essence to promote a more calming and effective atmosphere that plays a large part in the physical and mental health and well being when the body, mind, and Spirit are all well balanced.

Krishna
Professor Expert

I am big on the principle of Feng Shui.  Although I don't practice Feng Shui itself in my own house, I try to arrange my furnishing and lighting in order to bring about the best flow of energy and Spiritual essence to promote a more calming and effective atmosphere that plays a large part in the physical and mental health and well being when the body, mind, and Spirit are all well balanced.

The Chinese system of Feng Shui is a very organized. structured,  system. However IMO while following the principles of Feng Shui, a good practitioner will ultimately go with their own intuition to a large degree. 

Ultimately I think any very sensitive. spiritually evolved  person can do similar things without the need for any formal system at all.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide

I do agree with what you have said, Krishna. If one studies the principles of Feng Shui and understands the concept of it, it is not always necessary to follow the strictness of Feng Shui to achieve a like results. However, it is important that you be able to 'feel' what you understand about it in both mind and Spirit. At least that is my perspective.

However, that could just be me.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

@ Krishna

In our last home in Toronto, you were able to see out the back windows from the front door (which means the money would just flow out). So we therefore hung a crystal in between, to prevent the flow.  As well, we were always careful that any of the homes we owned did not have a bathroom over the front entrance.

How's that for Feng Shui, Krishna?

Krishna
Professor Expert

In our last home in Toronto,

When I made the comment about you not knowing Feng Shui, it was a sideways reference to the fact that since you are in China, so it was pretty certain you knew about it.

But now I am surprised that you knew about it in Toronto (wasn't that before you ever went to China?).Most North Americans don't know about Feng Shui (unless they are Chine-American or know many Chinese people). -- or if they pursue certain "spiritual"  disciplines...

you were able to see out the back windows from the front door (which means the money would just flow out). So we therefore hung a crystal in between, to prevent the flow.  As well, we were always careful that any of the homes we owned did not have a bathroom over the front entrance.

Interesting--I had the same problem! (Layout such that there would be excessive Chi flow from front to back). And-- same cure! (Hung crystal).

No problem in layout with bathrooms.

And--m this is a bit esoteric. But different areas of Bagua are associated with different parts of the body. I've had an ear problem, so bought a wind chime for "helpful people" part of bagua (that area is for Ear).

How's that for Feng Shui, Krishna?

Excellent! (How do you get interested in it?)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

"How's that for Feng Shui, Krishna?

Excellent! (How do you get interested in it?)"

My wife was a certified yoga instructor and she had some knowledge about Feng Shui, and the power of crystals.  It was long before I even dreamed about coming to China.

Krishna
Professor Expert

THE BAGUA (used in Feng Shui). Its super-imposed on a plan of your house-- your front door is in either of the blue areas or the grey one).

Image result for bagua

Note the Purple area-- far left corner of your house (when standing at front door looking in). It has to do with prosperity. Among other things, Purple objects are good there. And-- that's where I have my Purple Amethyst Geode (mentioned previously).

Its been a main focus-- I also have other appropriate objects there: a Dragon, a healthy Bamboo plant, a Jade Plant, two green glass jars with coins. (These are all for wealth). Also Chinese coins on a red string, natch.

And, I am going to "mix my metaphors" -- I am going to hang a small picture I bought-- of Lakshmi-- there. (She isn't Chinese but rather Indian--Hindu Goddess of, among other things, prosperity!

Krishna
Professor Expert

Here's Lakshmi-- not Chinese-- just a plain 'ole country girl from over the mountains (Himalayas!)

Image result for lakshmi

Over the Himalayas..from China.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

I can't open the image.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

I assume this was what you posted, or a similar picture:

Lakshmi.jpg

In our home we have a shrine to Boddisattva Guanyin, Goddess of Mercy.

Guan Yin.jpg

Krishna
Professor Expert

In our home we have a shrine to Boddisattva Guanyin, Goddess of Mercy.

I recognized her-- but I thought she was a different one --Kuan YIn.

(Then I realized that the one I know as :"Kuan YIn" is actually "Guanyin"-- since its an Anglicized spelling it can be spelled several ways in English)

Krishna
Professor Expert

I assume this was what you posted, or a similar picture:

Same.

You can google Lakshmi to find lots of pictures of her. She's often portrayed a bit differently in different pictures. . But usually,like these 2 here, there are the Lotus flowers, and the Elephants. Also gold coins pouring down (out of a vessel in the center of the picture I posted, into a vessel in the lower left of the picture you found).

P.S: It looks like Kuan Yin is also sitting in a Lotus flower.

Also note the yellow circle around her head-- her "Halo".

Its interesting to me that although she is Chinese (Buddhist tradition?) she has that Halo-- the same thing you see in the West-- around the heads of Christian Saints in Midieval paintings!...no coincidence!!!

I believe that it is not merely symbolic--rather its a representation of the Aura (which trained human beings as well as mystics through the ages can see).

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

I find it interesting that there are similarities - both sitting on a lotus blossom (I posted one of my photos of one just a little above in these comments) and both with an aura.

Kavika
Professor Principal

Hey Buzz, how about dogs and flowers together. 

Image result for memes of doxies with flowers

Raven Wing
Professor Guide

LOL!! Leave it to Wiki to think of that! (big grin)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Although Raven Wing's photos opened for me, your one of Wiki and flowers did not. Did you post it differently than the previous Doxie one, that was no problem?  What I get is a statement: "Image result for memes of doxies with flowers".

Maybe the problem is with the meme.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient   7 years ago

I posted exactly the same way Buzz.

It shows a doxie in a field of flowers with the caption, ''Farting in the flowers, no one will ever know''

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
link   Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Only natural PooPourri for Wiki, that clever girl.  On a side note, I researched FartPourri, but there doesn't seem to be a similar product available.  Perhaps there is a business opportunity in there somewhere.  Wiki's FartInTheBlueBonnetsPourri. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
link   Raven Wing  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom   7 years ago

LOL!  Or maybe Wiki's FartinBluePourri. (grin)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

I would like everyone who contributed comments to this article, and even those who only read it, to know how pleased I am to see the open friendliness and tangential friendly conversations between members. In no way would I declare anything posted here "off topic" because it is such a joy to see the happy totality here, which is in such stark contrast to the Front Page political animosity. 

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates

Thats what ya get buzz for writing articles about beauty!

Bless ya bud.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide

thumbs up applause

Raven Wing
Professor Guide

Buzz, I am truly grateful that you started this wonderful article. It has been filled with a myriad of information from the members who have participated on the topic itself, but, also provided the opportunity for members to enjoy camaraderie and mutual sharing of information on various subjects, even though they may have veered off the original topic. 

It is truly a wonderful break from the snark and ugliness we see way too much of in the political discussions, and helps members to freely express they thoughts and opinions. 

This is an article that I have genuinely enjoyed, and wish there were more like them here on NT's FP. 

Thank you. (smile)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

I will keep trying to post such articles. I am continually posting photo-essays, and although my first photo-challenge was a big success, only A.Mac contributed to the second one (which was easier to meet than the first one) so in frustration I deleted it.  I will post more in the future in the hope of distracting members from the political rancor.

Krishna
Professor Expert

I feel the same way you and Raven-Wing do. I really dislike the nasty stuff (which is mainly in political articles). Theoretically its possible to have a really good political discussion, where people respect others POV, and listen to other opinions. And discuss the actual topics-- rather than engaging in childish political attacks.

But the reality is that, online, that's nearly impossible.

So I'm happy to see more things that are non-political things here. .

I especiaslly like you articles re: nostalgia, old movies etc. Also your photo essays on China are very interesting! (China is one of my top 2 places I'd most like to visit someday :-)

Raven Wing
Professor Guide

Thank you, Buzz. I noticed that those who contribute the most to the abundance of divisiveness here on NT did not find your article worthy of their talents, for which I am very grateful. 

It has been, and is, a very enjoyable and relaxing article. (smile)

Krishna
Professor Expert

I will post more in the future in the hope of distracting members from the political rancor

That is one way to help overcome it.

The other way (which, unfortunately, most people refuse to do) is to not post comments in those political articles. Then they disappear more quickly.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

@ Krishna

Ha ha !  That was one of the best lessons you taught me when I first joined Newsvine and you were my first friend and mentor then. I think that the only times I got myself in trouble was when I didn't take your advice.

Krishna
Professor Expert

Ha ha !  That was one of the best lessons you taught me

Interestingly, its based on some very ancient metaphysical principles. Based on the work of Hermes Trismegistus. (Ancient Greece-- probably the same as the Egyptian God Thoth). But you don't have to know that.

(It won't be on the Final).