╌>

On the Way Home from the Funeral

Category:  Photography & Art

Via:  spikegary  •  7 years ago  •  21 comments

On the Way Home from the Funeral

My friend, Elaine and I travelled back from Eastern New York in our own cars after my dad's funeral, to the Pembroke Exit and we both got off there, as I was near the end of my journey, hers about half over, for fuel, so I took her out to Lunch at a place called the Log Cabin in Indian Falls, New York.  Great comfort food and we sat at our table overlooking the falls and the brave souls jumping form the top of the falls (I used to be brave like that).  Turns out it was the hottest day recorded on September 24th any time.  I thought you might like to see some pics:

20170924_152041_resized.jpg

20170924_155548_resized.jpg

20170924_155411_resized.jpg

20170924_155554_resized.jpg

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
1  seeder  Spikegary    7 years ago

It was a nice place to spend a little time on a hot Sunday afternoon.  The food was really good too.......

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
1.1  A. Macarthur  replied to  Spikegary @1    7 years ago

There's an expression among photographers … "f8 and be there!"

There are a number of interpretations as to its meaning, but this one seems right to me.

The quote “F8 and be there” is attributed to Weegee (actually Arthur Fellig) who was a famous street photographer during the 1930’s, 40’s and beyond. Arthur Fellig’s quote was meant to explain his secret to success. I believe it represents a philosophy to keep technical decisions simple and be where your vision takes you.

Spikegary, your fine little photo essay brings the point home!

Nicely done.

And sorry for your loss.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
3  magnoliaave    7 years ago

The photos are lovely.  Sad about your Dad, but nice that you could spend some peaceful time with your friend.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
3.1  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  magnoliaave @3    7 years ago

After a week on the other side of the state, I was happy to be home, sleeping in my own bed.  Still trying to catch up on sleep while picking up the reins of my life and getting back to the things I need to be doing here.  I missed our annual Snowmobile Grass Drags this year (I've been the chairman of the event for the last 14 years) for the first time since I started attending it.  Have to pick up all the stuff I had set up (my tools and such) and make sure everything is put back at the Club's property and stored until next year.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     7 years ago

Looks like a wonderful place to stop and relax after loving your father.

TTGA
Professor Silent
5  TTGA    7 years ago

Very beautiful place Gary.  Perfect for a recovery, or at least a peaceful interlude.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
5.1  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  TTGA @5    7 years ago

Well, except for the people at the bar screaming because the Bills actually won another game.....

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
6  Raven Wing    7 years ago

What a lovely, serene place Gary. A beautiful place to let the soul and mind peace after the emotional time of parting with someone who has, and still does, mean so much to you. Having lost both my parents and my young Son, I know how the heart hurts when they walk on and leave us behind. 

It is so wonderful that you and your friend had a chance to visit there, and enjoy the food and peaceful surroundings together. I love to sit and listen to the falls sing their beautiful song, each one telling its own story in its own way. (smile)

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
7  Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

What a beautiful way to unwind and celebrate your father's life. Being in a place like this makes you realize that there must be something more than what we know. I hope that the loveliness of these surroundings brought you a little peace. 

Tex Stankley
Freshman Silent
8  Tex Stankley    7 years ago

I have been gone and out in the culture wars for some time.  Just got back. 

I am so sorry to hear that you lost your Dad.  

Best to you and yours. 

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
8.1  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Tex Stankley @8    7 years ago

Thank you, Tex.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9  Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

It's great to rekindle memories of being places like that, like the Gull River north of Minden (I'm sure you've been there), so thanks for posting those great photos.  Somehow, I think I'd be nervous about sitting under what looks like big logs hanging from the ceiling in the log cabin. (Or could they possibly be canoes carved out from big logs? I once watched a Canadian native named Cesar Newashish do that.)

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
9.1  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9    7 years ago

I'm not sure there's any weight on those-or if they are just for effect.  I'll have to look closer next time, though at a place like that, I spend time staring out the windows at the falls not sitting at the bar.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
10  sandy-2021492    7 years ago

Beautiful spot to commune with nature, and a great way to decompress after a tough day.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
11  sixpick    7 years ago

Nice bartender.  My favorite colors.... wood, water and green.

I believe that canoe is a long joist.

Beautiful place to pause during your travel.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
11.1  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  sixpick @11    7 years ago

WTH, I didn't even notice the bartender.......sigh.....

deepwaterdon
Freshman Silent
11.2  deepwaterdon  replied to  sixpick @11    7 years ago

And the bartender gets a thumbs up too!!

deepwaterdon
Freshman Silent
12  deepwaterdon    7 years ago

Sorry to hear of your loss, my friend. May peace of mind and heart bless and be with you in your loss. 

Thank you for sharing some wonderful images of your day and trip home. Looks like a place I would like to visit.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
12.1  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  deepwaterdon @12    7 years ago

Hi Don,

Thanks.  I appreciate it.  Been a tough last year, ending last week. 

Gary

Enoch
Masters Quiet
13  Enoch    7 years ago

Dear Friend Spikegary: Welcome home.

I will be in touch next week by email.

Contact me any time the need is there.

Peace and Abundant Blessings.

Enoch.